XXL Bike for Tall Riders 6'6"?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017

XXL Bike for Tall Riders 6'6"?

I'm just getting back into riding after being out of it a number of years, my last bike was a Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Pro size XL with 26" wheels, loved the bike but always felt too big on it and not totally comfortable.

So I'm rather new to the advent of the 29er but everything I'm reading is telling me to go with this wheel size due to my height along with XXL vs an XL Frame.

I'm 6'6" 250lbs, I have around a 34" inseam and have been looking around at XXL bikes but still have not test ridden or sat on one yet to tell the difference, plan to narrow down some brands and do this soon.

I'm not partial to Specialized but I do like their bikes and I paid nearly $2K for my bike when new I got it in 1998, I see the prices have risen substantially since the last time I was into it. I'm older now and not looking to do anything too crazy just general riding, some single track but no jumping or hardcore stuff, but realize with my size and weight rules out cheaper bikes and components along with durability.

My Stumpjumper had a mix of XT and XTR components which never gave me any problems. So I'm inclined to spend more, but really have a budget around $1,000 on the top end could go more if I feel it's worth it and was looking lower but I do not know the components that well. I see that XTR equipped bikes are way out of my price range. I know nothing of SRAM and Suntour back in the day was low-end.

I also would not rule out buying a XXL 29er frame and piecing together some used components or building slowly, but I never did this and rarely see XXL 29er frames for sale used or new, the ones that are end up being out of my budget.

So far I looked online at these brands:

Strictly interested in a HT only, no FS.

Trek X-Caliber Series
    Specialized Rockhopper Series
    Santa Cruz Highball 29 (way over budget)
    KHS BNT XXL (way over budget) know nothing of KHS

I did look at other brands, but it seems XL is where they stop.

Any recommendations appreciated.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Specialized XXL's tend to run pretty big, but at 6'6" that is likely the size for you. You should swing a leg over a Fuse too. You might like the plus wheels.

In the Trek, I would go with the 22" (XXL) frame. You'll want to stay with an ETT of at least 660 mm or longer. Anything from 670 mm to 680 mm should fit you like a glove IMHO.

mtbr member
    You might look into Guerrilla Gravity. Pedalhead Ride 2 Build - Affordable Made in US Hardtail MTB
    It seems their sizing run a bit large.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    At Guerrilla Gravity, we also do custom sizes. I just designed a custom XXL Trail Pistol for somebody that's 6'9", and have an XL GG/DH in the design queue as well.

If the XL Pedälhead isn't as big as you're looking for, let us know, an XXL can be done.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I picked a XXL santa cruz tallboy. 1 of biggest bike made today. Love it and it fits a 200mm dropper

Kona makes the longest reach bike in hard tail. Search by reach on this doc.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t#gid=36376247

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Specialized XXL's tend to run pretty big, but at 6'6" that is likely the size for you. You should swing a leg over a Fuse too. You might like the plus wheels.

In the Trek, I would go with the 22" (XXL) frame. You'll want to stay with an ETT of at least 660 mm or longer. Anything from 670 mm to 680 mm should fit you like a glove IMHO.

I never ridden a fattie, is there any benefit? I do have some lower back issues that use to flair up riding a HT, but I'm not sure if a FS will help or make it worse? I use to get terrible sciatic nerve pain after riding 25 to 30 miles, still a concern I have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    You might look into Guerrilla Gravity. Pedalhead Ride 2 Build - Affordable Made in US Hardtail MTB
    It seems their sizing run a bit large.

Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    At Guerrilla Gravity, we also do custom sizes. I just designed a custom XXL Trail Pistol for somebody that's 6'9", and have an XL GG/DH in the design queue as well.

If the XL Pedälhead isn't as big as you're looking for, let us know, an XXL can be done.
    Nice bike, but way over budget. I might be able to swing $1500 but $2K is going to make me feel guilty if I don't ride as often as I want to.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'5", 34" inseam and 240 lbs. I ride a 21" XL frame in a 29er. in my opinion, I wouldn't want larger unless it was designed to have a lower standover and faux shortened seat tube (Santa Cruzz tallboy as shown above or Kona Honzo for example). If you ever plan on using a dropper post, which I highly recommend, you probably don't want an XXL frame. you'll have a hard time getting the dropper all the down in the frame on an XXL bike.

For reference, I ride primarily cross country trails. rocks and roots, some 2' drops, tight switchback sorta stuff. If you're riding down a mountain, xxl may be worth looking at for the added wheelbase. ask your local bike shop about doing a bike demo.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I picked a XXL santa cruz tallboy. 1 of biggest bike made today. Love it and it fits a 200mm dropper

Kona makes the longest reach bike in hard tail. Search by reach on this doc.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t#gid=36376247
    I saw that one, but again out of my price range. Do you have any back issues? Just wondering if a FS would be better suited for compressed disc pain? I always ridden a HT. I live in the San Diego Area, most of the single track is rocky, a lot of washouts some smoother trails exist as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm 6'8" with a 36" inseam. My ride is an XXL 2014 Trek Remedy 29 and it fits like a glove.

I have lots of back issues. A full suspension makes a world of difference soaking up the shock that would go right into your back. With your budget though a Full suspension is out of your range unless you want to go used. A 2009+ tallboy in XXL could be found for sub $2000 and is still one of the best bikes ever made. Fast, light, strong and comfortable. Maintenance will be more than a HT, but not buy much and Santa cruz supports their older models.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Z77767 View Post
    I never ridden a fattie, is there any benefit? I do have some lower back issues that use to flair up riding a HT, but I'm not sure if a FS will help or make it worse? I use to get terrible sciatic nerve pain after riding 25 to 30 miles, still a concern I have.
    They (Specialized) call the plus size wheels (tire sizes 2.8" to 3.0") a '6Fattie'. I think it is a play on being a 650 that has a fatter tire than a standard size tire. But they are not true 'fat' tires which are more like 3.8" to 5".

Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    I'm 6'5", 34" inseam and 240 lbs. I ride a 21" XL frame in a 29er. in my opinion, I wouldn't want larger unless it was designed to have a lower standover and faux shortened seat tube (Santa Cruzz tallboy as shown above or Kona Honzo for example). If you ever plan on using a dropper post, which I highly recommend, you probably don't want an XXL frame. you'll have a hard time getting the dropper all the down in the frame on an XXL bike.
    The seat tube on my 2013 XXL Trek Stache was only 21.5", and the Marlin 23" frame seat tube is really only 22". The seat tube on a XXL Specialized Fuse is 21.85" All of those easily accommodate a dropper with 125 mm travel for a rider that is 6'6".

Bad news on the XXL Fuse is that the 2017 is not available in an XXL, only the 2016 IF you can find one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post

For reference, I ride primarily cross country trails. rocks and roots, some 2' drops, tight switchback sorta stuff. If you're riding down a mountain, xxl may be worth looking at for the added wheelbase. ask your local bike shop about doing a bike demo.
    Never used a dropper post, not even familar with them but saw how they work on some videos, like I said I have been out of the game for a long time, even so disc brakes are new to me.

I plan to get to a couple of bike shops around me sometime in the next few weeks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I have lots of back issues. A full suspension makes a world of difference soaking up the shock that would go right into your back. With your budget though a Full suspension is out of your range unless you want to go used. A 2009+ tallboy in XXL could be found for sub $2000 and is still one of the best bikes ever made. Fast, light, strong and comfortable. Maintenance will be more than a HT, but not buy much and Santa cruz supports their older models.
    I was told to look at a FS prior, but now it seems the technology is more advanced then 15-20 years ago.

I see the price range of FS is quite high, also see new frame sets on ebay (front triangle only) for less than $100 but rear triangles are no where to be found it appears for the frame I located.

I have had little luck finding anything used in my area. Might have to look harder online.

34 inch inseam is short for your height, which gives you a long torso. An XL should fix you with a 90mm to 100mm stem which is long by today's standards. Since there are so few XXL bike floating around > 1%, and with your budget I would look at 26 inch bikes. I doubt you are going to be hard charging on super steep trails, but would like a competent light fun trail bike. Bikes that have alot of bang for the buck:
    Santa Cruz blur 2 LT and carbon XC
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/6011183670.html
    Ibis mojo all models except DH
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/bik/5997666913.html
    yeti
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/6010575268.html
    most of there halo bikes where 5-7k and while a 29er is better, we are taking single digit percentages.
    My 2008 XL Blur XC that I've been riding forever and converted to 27.5. I'll never sell it because I can only get 25% of what it would cost to build it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Hi All - 6'7" 260 lbs here.

I haven't truly "ridden" like I used to since I was like 15 years old in the 90's... I was (a tad) shorter then and all into smaller bikes so I bought an 18" Gary Fisher that I still have and hardly ever ride anymore... Looking to upgrade and start riding more again here at 37 years old.

I (think) I finally settled on a Trek Roscoe 6 in the XXL. It obviously has the 27.5+ tires, and (I think) I can run 29er down the road with it if I so choose. Is the fork "up to pat" on the Roscoe 6? They don't seem to have an XXL in the 7 and the 8 is out of the budget.

Anyway - are there any other (max like $1100) XXL bikes I should consider? I'm of course thinking hardtail and like the idea of the (+) tires.

Thanks! I just registered today, so I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'm bumping this one as it seemed nicely relevant. I also signed up for the noted Facebook Group.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Looked at Surly? Something like a Krampus with a sus fork.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Looked at Surly? Something like a Krampus with a sus fork.
    A 21" Krampus isn't big enough IMO. I'm 6'3" on a XL with a 80-90mm stem. I could definitely handle a 22" frame with Surly geo. (I also have an XL Wednesday which could be bigger)

KHS used to make a big boy frame last time I checked, 23" I think. Forget what it cost?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks for the replies gents.

I'm gonna decide tomorrow whether to get a used 2017 xxl Specialized Camber with some nice upgrades or a new xxl Trek Roscoe. Both prices being equal.

So it's a face of between a decent new hardtail 27.5+ or used decent FS 29..

Darn tough decision just getting back into the game here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Ended up ordering an xxl Trek Roscoe 8 today.

Darn thing was too beautiful to walk away from.