XTR 970 shifters on drop bars?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

XTR 970 shifters on drop bars?

Drop-bar guys and gals, I recall a thread somewhere in the 29er forum where a guy was running the latest version XTR 970 rapidfire shifter on his drop bar. I have done a number of searches and can't find that info anywhere. Anyone else recall? I guess due to its size, I can't load the Monstercross thread anymore so maybe thats where its at. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Nope. The bars clamping diameter is different. Drop bars clamping diameter is 23.8mm IIRC and regular mountain bars are 22.2mm. They won't fit on 99.9% of drop bars out there. If you try to force it on you will break the shifter. I've seen it done. There might be an old steel bar out there they would fit on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    No I actually saw a picture on this forum where a guy had them fitted to drop bars. Not arguing that there isnt a size issue, just that someone has already done it. Thanks for the sizing details though thats appreciated! Like you said, not worth the angst of having the clamp break. The newer models have the sliding separate clamp and the option of machining a new clamp of the right size would be feasible. I have always used the Dura Ace barcons in the past and probably will go back to that as its a pretty bullet-proof set-up.

Members who have read this thread: 0