XPOST: Sette Razzo Carbon SC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

XPOST: Sette Razzo Carbon SC

Decided to pull the trigger on the Sette Razzo. I was contemplating doing a Cheap Chinese but thought it was too much risk for me. I am a stickler for good and quick US based warranty support so I decided to pay a premium. I got the frame for $699 plus $40 for shipping.

I have been blown away from by the quality of the frame since unboxing.The fit and finish is super sweet. The BB was chased and faced. Honestly, for $700 bucks I was expecting less.

The only issue I had was with the crown race reducer not in the box. PricePoint fixed me up by sending me two in short order. That's the kind of support that I paid for.

There was one other issue. This is my first internal cable type frame so I'm going to have to extend the rear brake hose. I'm currently running it along the side of the frame with some stick on doohickies.

First ride in dirt will tomorrow morning. Original plan was to make it an SS but changed my mind along the way. 1x10 is so much nicer when you're legs need a break esepcially in the heat of the desert.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XPOST: Sette Razzo Carbon SC-razzo2.jpg  

XPOST: Sette Razzo Carbon SC-razzo1.jpg  

XPOST: Sette Razzo Carbon SC-razzo3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Forgot to add the build specs

Wheels: Chris King, Stan's Flow, Sapim 14/15, Al Nipples
    Fork: Fox Terralogic 15mm Non Tapered
    Handlebar: Easton Haven,
    Stem: Thomson X4 110x10
    Grips: ESI Chunky
    Shifter: SLX 10 Speed
    Brakes: 2012 Avid Code 160mm rotors
    Seat: Forte TT / Ti rails
    Cranks: XT with Race Face Single Chainring 32T
    BB: Chris King
    Pedals: CrankBros Candy
    Rear Derailleu: SLX 10 Speed
    Cassette: XT 11-34
    Chain: HG-94
    Tires: Slant Six (F), Small Blcok (R)

Weight using my digital bathroom scale = 20.2

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Looks alot nicer built than it does on the PP website. The head tube area looks weak on the website compared to other designs but it looks well proportioned in that build.

Nice setup.

Big Boy
    great looking bike. what was the frame weight/size?
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I know what you mean. I noticed that as well before I purchased. I think a lot of people had that same feeling/complaint because they addressed it in the newer SC model. They have the non-SC model that has an even shorter head tube which makes it look strange. In fact, the Non-SC model states the 17" frame's head tube is not compatible with tapered forks. If I remember right the headtube is like 3.5" long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    great looking bike. what was the frame weight/size?
    Frame is a 17" and weighed approx 2.7 lbs.on my bathroom scale.

Big Boy
    im digging that frame. thinking really hard about it, but I wish you could order it without the decals...
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    very nice frame. different disk brake mounting?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ernb View Post
    very nice frame. different disk brake mounting?
    I like the look of the rear brake placement but found it to be a pain to insatll and adjust when it is tucked away like that. It's tough to get an allen wrench on the rear most screw.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    but I wish you could order it without the decals...
    No doubt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Nice!

I built a 650B Reken and bought a Razzo 1.0 XT. The Reken frame is outstanding for the money and the Razzo was a STEAL for under $1200 with XT derailleurs, SLX cranks, brakes and shifters, a Reba RL and Mavic 719 wheels.

I'm convinced there is no better value than the Sette stuff. There certainly are much nicer bikes but for the money, nothing comes close.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Niner Air 9 Carbon
    Karate Monkey SS
    Misfit DiSSent

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm sold on carbon

Ride report results:

Took the bike out for a flogging at South Mountain this morning. I had a blast just hammering it all over the trail. I've owned Aluminum, Steel fand Ti hardtail frames . This is the first carbon Hardtail that I've had and ridden on real dirt trails.

I'm sold on the ride characteristics of the frame and carbon in general. The frame's damping qualities were excellent. The bike was super solid and stiff when I stood up to sprint or grind up a steep climb. However, on the rough rocky sections it felt like it was damping the vibrations and impacts such that I felt comfortable going even faster through those sections.The bike was spot on from the word go.

Normally, I get on a new frame and I have to get a feel for it after a few rides but not this time. I felt right at home and I just started hammering it some more. I took it up my favorite climb to the Heli pad and then down one of the sketchiest trails (Goat Trail). No problems or issues and the damped ride was really cool.

I had heard a lot of people saying that carbon bikes have a dead feeling to them. I can understand that some might say that but in a rock strewn area like Phoenix. That damping is a major asset.

I am close to selling my Ti Hardtail and buying another one of these to keep as a single speeder.

I am definitely selling my steel road bike and buying one of their Sette carbon road frames. I'm sold on their products.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That is a sharp looking bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by palmermtb View Post
    Ride report results:

Took the bike out for a flogging at South Mountain this morning. I had a blast just hammering it all over the trail. I've owned Aluminum, Steel fand Ti hardtail frames . This is the first carbon Hardtail that I've had and ridden on real dirt trails.

I'm sold on the ride characteristics of the frame and carbon in general. The frame's damping qualities were excellent. The bike was super solid and stiff when I stood up to sprint or grind up a steep climb. However, on the rough rocky sections it felt like it was damping the vibrations and impacts such that I felt comfortable going even faster through those sections.The bike was spot on from the word go.

Normally, I get on a new frame and I have to get a feel for it after a few rides but not this time. I felt right at home and I just started hammering it some more. I took it up my favorite climb to the Heli pad and then down one of the sketchiest trails (Goat Trail). No problems or issues and the damped ride was really cool.

I had heard a lot of people saying that carbon bikes have a dead feeling to them. I can understand that some might say that but in a rock strewn area like Phoenix. That damping is a major asset.

I am close to selling my Ti Hardtail and buying another one of these to keep as a single speeder.

I am definitely selling my steel road bike and buying one of their Sette carbon road frames. I'm sold on their products.
    That is really good news for my future purchases.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

sizing

Hi all, looking at picking up one as well but am uncertain as to which size to go with. i am 5'10" with a 30" inseam and fall in between that 17" and 19" line by most manufacturers specs. As someone that has one what size would you recommend? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I like your build spec, but can you share what your total investment was? Were many of the parts taken from other bikes?
    Looking into either doing a very similar build, or possibly buying the complete instead of just the frame.

NedwannaB

Yeah nice setup!

Decided to pull the trigger on the Sette Razzo.
    At first thought it looked like a 15" but I see it's a 17". Mind giving your size as far as where you fit into their geo/bike fit chart. Planning another for an SS and a road build says alot for the quality.

Thanks in advance.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

banned
    Dec 2006
    Decided to pull the trigger on the Sette Razzo. I was contemplating doing a Cheap Chinese but thought it was too much risk for me. I am a stickler for good and quick US based warranty support so I decided to pay a premium. I got the frame for $699 plus $40 for shipping.<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/27shlk6" vspale=0></iframe>
    <iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/yz4gjyd" vspale=0></iframe>

I have been blown away from by the quality of the frame since unboxing.The fit and finish is super sweet. The BB was chased and faced. Honestly, for $700 bucks I was expecting less.

The only issue I had was with the crown race reducer not in the box. PricePoint fixed me up by sending me two in short order. That's the kind of support that I paid for.

There was one other issue. This is my first internal cable type frame so I'm going to have to extend the rear brake hose. I'm currently running it along the side of the frame with some stick on doohickies.

First ride in dirt will tomorrow morning. Original plan was to make it an SS but changed my mind along the way. 1x10 is so much nicer when you're legs need a break esepcially in the heat of the desert.
    Nice bike. I love it

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scattrball View Post
    Hi all, looking at picking up one as well but am uncertain as to which size to go with. i am 5'10" with a 30" inseam and fall in between that 17" and 19" line by most manufacturers specs. As someone that has one what size would you recommend? Thanks!
    My specs are 5'8" with a 32 inch inseam. I could go with either a 17" or a 19" but I prefer a smaller frame for the technical type of riding we do here in Phoenix area. We have lots of rocks so we do a lots of step ups and manuals.

If you do a less techincal type riding or you do really long distance you might want go bigger to get a little more stretched out for more endurance. For me smaller is for techinical type riding, bigger frames are for longer distance and typical racing type courses where you do more pedaling than jumping off stuff. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Ray View Post
    I like your build spec, but can you share what your total investment was? Were many of the parts taken from other bikes?
    Looking into either doing a very similar build, or possibly buying the complete instead of just the frame.
    The parts you see on this frame have been on at least three other frames so it is tough to say what the investment is/was as I buy and sell parts constantly adn am an avid bargain hunter. If I were to build this up today using Ebay and MTBR classifieds for parts I would estimate the following:

Frame: $750
    Wheelset - CK hubs, Stans Rims Sapim spokes: $650 - I build my own wheels so this is just for parts
    Handlebar - Easton Carbon:$100
    Cranks - XT or equivilent: $170 - Im actually am switching the XT's for a set of X9's with an HBC single ring
    Bottom Bracket - CK: $100
    Pedals - CB Candy: $50
    Chain - XT: $30
    Cassette - XT: $50
    Tires - Generic: $70
    Stem - Thomson X4: $60
    Seatpost - Thomson Elite: $60
    Saddle - Generic: $60
    Brakes - XT or Avid Elixir: $250
    Grips - Generi: $15
    Shifters - XT: $80
    Skewers - Generic: $30

If my math is right the total would be around $2500, Give or take a couple of hundred.

Of course you have to be real bargain hunter. I check Craigslist and Ebay daily. For example, I just picked up a set of X9 cranks, just the arms and the BB for $70 bucks last night on Ebay. That's a score. I have an HBC ring that I am putting on them.

This doesn't take into account shipping of those parts and all the little things like cables, bleed kits and skewers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If my math is right the total would be around $2500, Give or take a couple of hundred.
    Oops I forgot to add the cost of the fork.
    Fork - Fox Terralogic (used) = $500

Total is now around $3K. Not bad for such a high end build spec. If you go to your LBS and try to build this it would cost you an easy $4K

Big Damn Hero
    Great looking bike, I'm really considering one myself. What are your impressions now that you've had the bike for a while and I'm sure have put more miles on it?
    Orbea Alma
    Ritchey Road Logic
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Diamondback Haanjo
    Specialized Epic Marathon

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CBRsteve View Post
    Great looking bike, I'm really considering one myself. What are your impressions now that you've had the bike for a while and I'm sure have put more miles on it?
    Ive been putting the bike through its paces and it hasnt made a wimper Its such a great bike that the Sette has become my primary bike. That's saying something when my other bike is a carbon SC Tallboy with the same exact build kit. I have nothing bad to say about my 26 lbs Tallboy but there is something about a 21 lbs 29er. I'm so happy with their products that I ordered a Sette carbon road frame this week . I'll be building that up next week. I'm also thinking of selling my son's Ti framed HT to get him a Razzo SC. I really like that the frame comes with a 5 year warranty as well. Its a great ride and value. You can't beat it.

Big Damn Hero
    Ive been putting the bike through its paces and it hasnt made a wimper Its such a great bike that the Sette has become my primary bike. That's saying something when my other bike is a carbon SC Tallboy with the same exact build kit. I have nothing bad to say about my 26 lbs Tallboy but there is something about a 21 lbs 29er. I'm so happy with their products that I ordered a Sette carbon road frame this week . I'll be building that up next week. I'm also thinking of selling my son's Ti framed HT to get him a Razzo SC. I really like that the frame comes with a 5 year warranty as well. Its a great ride and value. You can't beat it.
    Wow, great to hear that. I've yet to hear one bad thing about these Sette bikes... it's making my decision even harder.
    Orbea Alma
    Ritchey Road Logic
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Diamondback Haanjo
    Specialized Epic Marathon

Members who have read this thread: 0