XC Race Bike: Sniper Trail Pro vs. Ryve 115 5 Star vs. OIZ TR vs. Signal Peak Pro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

XC Race Bike: Sniper Trail Pro vs. Ryve 115 5 Star vs. OIZ TR vs. Signal Peak Pro

Just looking for some feedback as I struggle to make up my mind. I have read the threads on each individual bike, but wondering if people have ridden a couple, few, or all.
    Budget is $5-6k. I am 6'1 and 165-175#

What am I missing below

Intense Sniper Trail Pro

Pros:
    Second best component set up behind Signal Peak
    XO1 Eagle Cassette
    Decent Wheelset I can sell
    Lightest Dropper
    Great HTA and Reach numbers on a large
    Lightest bike option as stock?
    Two bottle mounts inside frame
    XT brakes
    Good looking

Cons:
    Frame flex at the top of the rear triangle

Spot Ryve 115 5 Star

Pros:
    Decent build kit
    Enve bar
    160mm Revive dropper
    Living link platform
    Supporting local CO company
    Great geo, similar to the Sniper
    Sexy

Cons:
    Less than stellar wheels
    2 water bottle mounts, but 1 is under downtube
    SRAM Brakes

Orbea OIZ TR

Pros:
    Almost identical build kit to Spot
    XT brakes
    Lockouts
    Possibly lightest?
    Custom if possible
    2 well placed bottle mounts in frame
    Sexy

Cons:
    HTA angle is steeper and Reach is shorter than Spot and Sniper and thats w/ a 90mm stem
    Narrow bar
    Meh wheels that are the narrowest

Signal Peak

Pros:
    Best build kit (Full XX1)
    Carbon wheels
    Fox dropper
    Cheapest
    2 bottle mounts

Cons:
    Heavy, not a lot of room to upgrade to save weight
    Similar HTA and Reach to the OIZ
    SRAM brakes
    Least best good looking (don't want to offend it)

Golden is about 2.5 hrs away so I could demo the Spot.
    SLC is about 6 hrs away so that would be a push.
    There is an Orbea dealer about an hour away, but don't know about demos

-I will probably upgrade the wheels on any of the choices although the Signal Peak comes with a decent set.
    -Brakes might become XTR on any build except the Signal Peak
    -Cranks will eventually be swapped on all, but the SP
    -Good chance handlebar will be swapped on the Sniper and OIZ

-The Spot not having two in frame mount is a pretty big bummer. I would probably own one if it did.

-The flex of the Sniper is concerning as I haven't heard anything negative about the other bikes yet as far as functionality and durability

I am sure I am forgetting some things, but after looking at these bikes for a few weeks I am maybe leaning towards...I don't know.

mtbr member
    Why not inquire in forums.mtbr.com/xc-racing-training/
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Do you want to race the bike primarily or ride it fast and then do a few races a year casually? Remember also that drivetrain and wheels are easy upgrades. So if you don't like them they can be changed some money. Frame, Geometry and pedaling efficiency cannot be changed. The geo is off or the bike does not pedal well you will never fix that.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

I am Walt
    Why not an SC Blur TR, or a Yeti SB100, also? Spesh Epic EVO?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Didnít know where the best place to post this would be

I want to race this mostly. Weekly short races with a few 50+ mile races a year

Not considering the others because they are expensive, donít want to deal with the Brain, or a broken bike

mtbr member
    They are all about the same price. I love my epic and really like what the brain does for it. A few friends have Blur's and like them too.

I race my epic in short ride and 50 milers too. Also consider the Scott Spark RC and possible closeouts on the 2019 trek top fuel. The newer 2020 top fuels gained some weight.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The Sniper only takes 1 water bottle inside the triangle, and unless something has changed since last year, there are no mounts on the underside of the downtube for a second cage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Guy I race with was showing me how much side-to-side frame flex his Sniper has, quite a lot, and I don't think anything was broken, but he is quite fast on it. I'b be aware of that when looking at those.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    Guy I race with was showing me how much side-to-side frame flex his Sniper has, quite a lot, and I don't think anything was broken, but he is quite fast on it. I'b be aware of that when looking at those.
    That's why I decided against a Sniper, even though I really like it.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
    The Sniper only takes 1 water bottle inside the triangle, and unless something has changed since last year, there are no mounts on the underside of the downtube for a second cage.
    Go check some recent posts in the Sniper thread... they have two bottle mounts inside the triangle. Both on downtube. May only be L and XL frames.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah the Sniper flex is a bummer. If that didnít exist I would probably have bought it by now. It just seems like each of these bikes is so close to being perfect with just one thing being off for me. I think spot is leading the way even though 1 bottle mount in the frame is a downer

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Joe,

I donít think those bikes are even close to the same price. To get a model in the price range I listed you drop about a full level on SC, Yeti, Spesh, Scott etc. While components can be easily and cheaply swapped, I am not going to swap my suspension

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Iím not sure why you think the Signal Peak is heavy, frame weight is the same as the Sniper, weight difference is in components and under/over reporting by mfg.

If the Sniper didnít flex, Iíd be riding one. If I was a racer and wanted to spend a bunch more money, Iíd get a Blur or similar.

If you want a trail bike thatíll crossover for racing, the Signal Peak is a nice bike. No complaints, I ride mine a fair bit. Iím 200# and ride the SP on rugged terrain at speed, and it is not flexy.

If youíre really serious about racing, Iíd get a serious race bike.

If youíre more of a trail rider who wants to race once in a while, wants a more advanced suspension design, Iíd look at the new Ripley or maybe the Trance 29
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    Joe,

I donít think those bikes are even close to the same price. To get a model in the price range I listed you drop about a full level on SC, Yeti, Spesh, Scott etc. While components can be easily and cheaply swapped, I am not going to swap my suspension
    Buy the best frame set you can get 5-6k. GX vs X01 is minor.
    Joe

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry, was out of country for a bit.

Signal Peak top of the line is 24.7lb for a Large.
    https://www.velonews.com/bike-review...ignal-peak-pro

Not really any room to upgrade. I would like to get a bike down to 23#

It sounds like a large Ryve XTR build weighs 25lbs too.

I don't know where this extra weight comes from between a 100mm XC bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    To legitimately get get a 4"-5" FS bike with a dropper, 120mm fork and 12sp drivetrain down to 23# is gonna cost some money and probably require some compromises.

mtbr member
    Just put on my light bicycles carbon wheels, rocket Ron rear racing ray front. Other mods bikeyoke revive 125, wtb carbon rail seat, xpedo ti pedals, 1295 cogset and chain. Garmin 520 and timbre bell medium frame. Weight now 23.08.

Quote Originally Posted by wfl3 View Post
    To legitimately get get a 4"-5" FS bike with a dropper, 120mm fork and 12sp drivetrain down to 23# is gonna cost some money and probably require some compromises.
    Ď19 orbea oiz tr
    '16 Scott Genius 700 Premium traded in
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Some might consider a few of those compromises. ;-)

Plus we're talking about large frames here.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes, with a 120mm fork it's especially hard, easier with a 100mm 32 SC, this is why I build up frames and do not buy complete bikes. You will only achieve a target weight if you control each and every component going onto the bike.

That said, handlebar/stem (like an integrated syncros unit), seatpost (even still keeping a dropper), grips, wheels (like the ultralight T800 rims and DT240 hubs) are likely places to save weight, it won't save much with a 34 on the front, but probably enough to get it sub 24, very expensive though.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Some might consider a few of those compromises. ;-)

Plus we're talking about large frames here.

before the LB wheels I was at 24.33. The wheels are really light and hoping they hold up. Last bike I had Nox teocallis also with 240 hubs and they help up under my weight perfectly. If not, will have to add a bit of weight. Honestly wasn't shooting for 23 lbs and surprised the bike ended up there. Was thrilled the bike was under 25 out of the box. Other than the wheels, I don't feel like anything on the bike is fragile. I'm around 150-155 and loving the 120mm of travel.

on the large frame point, a buddy is shopping bikes now and would be a large. what kind of weight does that typically add? Didn't think it was much with carbon.
    Ď19 orbea oiz tr
    '16 Scott Genius 700 Premium traded in
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    On some frames like the Signal Peak it can be as much as half a pound, which I found out firsthand. :-0

Some frames get extra structural supports added as the size increases.

I've seen very few large 100-120mm frames under 5lbs w/ shock that also had the newer geo I'm looking for - longer TT & slacker HTA (sub 68).

I'm still waiting to see some real world weights on the large Ryve frames.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    On some frames like the Signal Peak it can be as much as half a pound, which I found out firsthand. :-0

Some frames get extra structural supports added as the size increases.

I've seen very few large 100-120mm frames under 5lbs w/ shock that also had the newer geo I'm looking for - longer TT & slacker HTA (sub 68).

I'm still waiting to see some real world weights on the large Ryve frames.
    A frame is a frame is a frame, they all have the same essential design and structure, dropping weight either requires a compromise (weaker, flexier) or high tech (more $$$).

You can lose weight faster running light tires and light wheels, an SC 32 vs an SC34, all carbon cockpit, and skip the dropper. Stressing over reported weight is silly because the only difference in weight between two carbon XC bikes that have the exact groupo is gonna be 1/2-1# at the most.

Get the one that rides the best for your needs. If weight it really your primary concern, then get a hardtail or spend more and get a high end bike (components, frame, or both).

Light, strong, and inexpensive is a unicorn.
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    If weight and budget are the biggest factors, since you're looking for a race bike, why not a Canyon.

Pretty light, within your budget, horst-link/4bar type suspension.

Seems to fit what you want.
    https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountai...try-bikes/lux/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Someone earlier mentioned the Spec Epic Evo. I just looked closely at that bike in the expert trim level and with carbon wheels etc it was 27lbs 14 ounces. It still had the tubes in and plastic trial pedals.
    Last edited by cue003; 07-24-2019 at 04:46 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just thought I would chime back in here. I already posted this on the Sniper thread, but in case anyone was looking at this thread again. I went with the Sniper Trail. Was going to get the Signal Peak, but weight and pedaling platform held me back, plus the flex issue is supposedly solved now with a factory cross brace (we will see). Cost to get the bike to 23lbs was reasonable and once I sold the stock wheelset it was incredibly reasonable and easy. If I put less sealant in the tires I could have the bike under 24 lbs easy and that is also with a SWAT tool on the bike.:

Just got done with my first ride on my Trail Pro.

Built up naked it with minimal changes (mostly the wheels) it came in right at 23 lbs for a Large. That is with a homemade cross brace with a steel threaded rod.
    With sealant, pedals, crank boots, two cages including a SWAT tool it came in at 11kg or 24.2 lbs.
    I will be swapping the stem out, and possibly the seat and could probably have it right at 24 lbs. I was hoping for 22-23lbs, but must have mis calculated.

This bike is awesome. Same reach as my Mega and almost as slack.
    Downhill it flowed well and the suspension almost felt a little too firm (30% sag), which is fine because it is a XC race bike for me. I need to dial in the fork and shock because it was popping the rear a little too much.

Climbing I noticed little if any bob in the trail/pedal mode. Didn't really climb in open, so can't speak to that.

Only thing I noticed was tight switchbacks going up were a little trickier than my 27.5 Anthem, but similar to my Stumpy.

I made a linkage brace and I didn't notice anything happening in the rear end. It actually felt stiffer than my Anthem. Can't wait for the factory fix.

Only down side was on the way down I heard metal clanging and after a long search for a missing piece I noticed I had lost one of my seatpost clamp bolts. Then I found it, but when I got home I realized it was just a random different bolt and didn't fit. Weird. That is a $10 bolt gone.

Moral is to thread lock everything on this bike

Overall moral: This bike is going to be too much fun

And another post from me:

Second ride, rode whole time in open front and rear. Very little bob and was well composed the whole time. What a bike.
    Bike is at 10.95kg/24.14lbs size large

Here are changes from stock:
    Tubeless with 4oz Orange Seal in each tire
    Maxxis Ikon 2.20 3C Maxxspeed in the rear
    Farsports 28mm ID Asym carbon rims/DT Swiss 350 w/ 36t ratchet/Cx-ray spokes/Alum nips (1380g)
    Aishima Di2 160/180 rotors
    Fox Kabolt Thru axle
    Ti rotor bolts
    WTB SL8 Pro Saddle
    Homemade linkage cross brace (Steel rod, nylon spacers, washers, lock nuts)
    Crank boots
    Xpedo M-force 4 Ti pedals
    2x Zee cages w/ SWAT tool
    Mt. Zoom 760 Carbon bar
    Wren 50mm stem
    K Edge Garmin headset cap mount
    Wolftooth i-spec dropper remote
    Wolftooth Shift mount adapter

In case anyone cares
    Last edited by yourrealdad; 08-10-2019 at 07:30 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Pics?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Here ya go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XC Race Bike: Sniper Trail Pro vs. Ryve 115 5  Star vs. OIZ TR vs. Signal Peak Pro-img_7888.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    If weight and budget are the biggest factors, since you're looking for a race bike, why not a Canyon.

Pretty light, within your budget, horst-link/4bar type suspension.

Seems to fit what you want.
    https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountai...try-bikes/lux/
    I would have like to get the Canyon ( I would buy the 8.0). I actually own two of their road bikes and am pleased with them and the company. I have had great CS from them.

Here is why it didn't even make my top 3.

#1 reason is the HTA is not modern at all. 69.5 with a 110mm fork. That means if you ever have to replace it with a standard 100mm you are either bumping it up to an even steeper 70 degree or trying to increase your travel. A 120mm for will only bring that down to 69 degrees. Reach is also rather short compared to the other models at 450mm for a large.

#2 rather heavy for what it is. 11.3kg is roughly 25lbs. I assume they are measuring a medium frame and this is a 100mm travel rear with a 32mm fork. The other bikes I listed have 20mm more travel and 34mm forks and weigh the same or less, even the Signal Peak is 24.7lbs stock in size large for the top end.

#3 Part spec is lower in many areas. Aluminum Bar, KS Lev SI vs Carbon SI, 1275 cassette vs 1295 cassette on the Sniper and Signal Peak, and most importantly SRAM brakes. the Oiz and Sniper have XT brakes and that is amazing. Mentioned earlier, but 32mm fork vs 34 SC.
    The wheelset is better however on the Lux and the handlebar is not a big deal since I upgraded that anyways, but my wife got a new carbon bar and stem out of the deal.

Also when I was looking the Canyon was $5k, now it is $4300. If that HTA was 67 maybe even 68 degrees I would be all over it for $4300 that is a crazy good deal.