(X POST) New 29" wheelset or relace current King Hubs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

(X POST) New 29" wheelset or relace current King Hubs

I have a dilemma and could use some advice.

I'm taking the plunge and getting a 29er (Asylum) but not sure how I should tackle the wheelset. My plan is to move all parts over from my current bike with the exception of the fork and wheels because they are not compatible.

The wheels I have now are King Disc-o-techs with mavic x317 disc rims. I can't decide if I should sell these wheels (any suggestions on how much?) or re-use the hubs and have them built on to a 29" rim.

I'd really like to get the Industy 9 29er set.... they are $830. I think it would cost me about $350 to get the old hubs laced up to nice rims (Stans/Bontragers) and Spokes (CX-Ray, DT). So I guess the real question is could I sell the wheels in their current state for $480 and/or would I be just better of with an entirely new set of wheels and just eat the difference.

Thanks!

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    At the price of King these days it’s hard to justify selling them for such a loss. A little cleaning, lube and care and those kings will buzz a long time. I recently sent the King hubs from my old 26” SS wheels of to Mikesee on the board. He built up an incredible set of wheels for me on those hubs in record time. I’m super happy with my decision and cant recommend Mike’s wheel building enough.

mtbr member
    Sell 'em as-is. You can most likely get about $350 for them on ebay. Take that money and add the $300 you'll spend rebuilding around a used hubset and you can get an all-new DT wheelset from Mikesee.

Members who have read this thread: 0