By an X-Cal for the Reba, Part it out????- Mtbr.com
    What's up Dut?
    Mar 2004

By an X-Cal for the Reba, Part it out????

Was standing in my LBS and admiring the new GF X-caliber today. The MSRP is $1250 on that bike. Not a shabby price at all. The stock bike is a little heavy for my taste (28lbs), but still a great buy regardless. So, here is the dilemna, I have now sent my WB's in to get fixed like 3 times in only about 6 months time. This is not good in my opinion. Although, WB's has EXCELLENT customer service, I just hate the down time while waiting for things to get fixed.

So, with that said, I am truly tempted to buying the X-cal complete bike just for the Reba SL fork and than either parting the X-cal out or try to sell it with my WB's attached to it. Any thoughts here as to the value of the parts if I were to part it out? Or would I be better off to try to sale the bike complete with a refurbished (3rd times a charm) WB's fork?

I am not trying to violate any rules here, but would there be any interest on this board in buying a new X-cal bike (size med) complete or parted out? If you need a parts spec list, than please review the www.fisherbikes.com site. If there is an interest, I would gladly give the list serve my $2 for the indirect spam. But, if there is not any interest, than no harm done and I will just move on.

Please provide me with some insight here. I just want a reliable fork. Is there good reasoning and logic behind what I am trying to achieve?

Any good Reba reviews as of late?

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Which WB did you have?
    The new 1.0's and .8's seem to have bomber reliability...
    The REBA is uncharted territory for me...

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Which WB did you have?
    Ditto that...which WB fork? I've never heard of anyone having issues.

MikeC rode 2400+ miles straight (give or take an hour sleep here/there) over 16.5 days with ZERO maintence, air pressure adjustments, etc with absolute problem/issue free ride...this, I beleive was on a 2004 WB BW .8.

It's my understanding that WB can not be surpassed with respect to durability in todays market.

That being said, I'm considering the same thing as you with a X-CAL. I was waiting for the rig, then thought I'd consider a Paragon, they're out as a well, so thinking maybe an XCAL (same frame)...of course I would convert it to single speed and ride it, sell the gearie parts...

Here's a tip: if you buy the XCAL for the fork, be sure to get the XL frame...will probably seel better/faster...
    FS: Everything

What's up Dut?
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Which WB did you have?

I have an '04 BW .8

I know that the Reba is a real unknown. I have test rode the X-cal in the shop and have ridden it around and the Reba does seem to have a good strong feel to it. Granted, I was not on any singletrack to really test it out. The action just felt really nice.

Who knows, I am just teetering back and forth and don't really know what I will end up doing. Just testing the water right now, I guess.

What's up Dut?
    Mar 2004

WB's = good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    Ditto that...which WB fork? I've never heard of anyone having issues.

MikeC rode 2400+ miles straight (give or take an hour sleep here/there) over 16.5 days with ZERO maintence, air pressure adjustments, etc with absolute problem/issue free ride...this, I beleive was on a 2004 WB BW .8.

It's my understanding that WB can not be surpassed with respect to durability in todays market.

That being said, I'm considering the same thing as you with a X-CAL. I was waiting for the rig, then thought I'd consider a Paragon, they're out as a well, so thinking maybe an XCAL (same frame)...of course I would convert it to single speed and ride it, sell the gearie parts...

Here's a tip: if you buy the XCAL for the fork, be sure to get the XL frame...will probably seel better/faster...
    I too have heard great things about WB's fork, that is why I bought it in the first place. However, my experience so far has not been too good. I have sent the fork back for service now 3 times. 2 times for an air leaking chamber on 2 separate rides. Turns out that a stanchion had to be replaced as it was wearing out the o-rings or something prematurely. Didn't have an issue with it until here recently. The third time was for a loose headset feeling. Only the headset was not loose. It would clunk or make knocking noices while going over bumpy or rough terrain. So, I sent it back to get checked out again. They doubled up on the bushings and replaced some other stuff that had broken within the fork as well. Don't know what else could have broken within it though...that is weird. I have yet to test it out as the trails are frozen over here. But, we shall see.

I think that the Customer Service is EXCELLENT and that is a good thing. I just want a reliable fork.

I am sure that there are many out there that have had no issues, but I can name at least 3 people in my town that have had issues with their '04 WB's. Some have had theirs sent back more than I.

Thanks for the hint, N-, about what size to buy. I am still up in the air right now.

Only dead people are old
    Quote Originally Posted by mdutcher
    ...sent my WB's in to get fixed like 3 times in only about 6 months time...I am truly tempted to buying the X-cal complete bike just for the Reba SL fork and than either parting the X-cal out or try to sell it with my WB's attached to it...I am not trying to violate any rules here, but would there be any interest on this board in buying a new X-cal bike (size med) complete or parted out?...Please provide me with some insight here. I just want a reliable fork. Is there good reasoning and logic behind what I am trying to achieve?...Any good Reba reviews as of late?
    Sorry to hear about your WB experiences - I take it you have the air version of the WB??? The Reba has not been out long enough for anyone to give a review on reliability - so far all I can say about my Reba is that is performs extremely well. As far as parting out a bike, depending on the price I may be interested in the frame if it was a medium. You would have to jet me a personal message to be sure though.