Barely in control

Wow, a sub 25lb 29er carbon trail bike for an unbelievable price. But at what cost?

Pretty cool, eh? Yeah it's bikesdirect: Sweet 29er

"Tires - MAXXIS MAXXLITE 29 X2.0 170TPI SILKWORM FOLDABLE ( 345g )"

Wait, wut?

Formerly of Kent
    What a bizarre collection of parts.

I wouldn’t run those tires on a gravel bike, let alone a 140mm bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Barely in control
    32mm fork, no dropper, road bike tires. Not just misleading. Kinda fraudulent.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    looks like a Spark

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Threaded bottom bracket

I'd buy it

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Trail Bike... Not with those tires. I run that Maxxlite or a Furious Fred year round on XC trails. I have two of the older Chinese full suspension frames. Chinese carbon rims. No dropper posts, 32 mm stanchion forks and I like the BSA bottom bracket. (after fighting the press fit on my spearfish I have sworn PF off. The continually removal, cleaning, reinstall to stop the squeaking was aggravating.)
    Have not had any problems with traction or cuts but I do have to run them at 30 PSI to reduce squirm and rim strikes.... Been doing it in North Texas for 3 years. I run Thunder Burts on the front though. No way I would run the Maxxlite or Furious Fred as a front. I also wouldn't take my tires on a real rocky trail course either. Sidewalls are paper thin and no amount of Latex would seal even a small slice.

mtbr member
    I like how they use "RockShox fork" as a yes or no, meaning good or bad.

A Reba is hardly worthy of a "140mm trail bike" compared to a Fox 34 or a Pike.

How can they claim it's "worth" 6000 when it's got an inferior fork, no dropper post, a shock that mounts upside-down, so you can't actually used the lockout lever, tires that are XC race tires, if you race smooth stuff, mounted to non carbon wheels. (They Trek they claim the bike is equivalent to has carbon wheels).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I wouldn't buy that bike. There are better choices.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Especially for 3 grand. You can buy a real trail bike for that much.

since 4/10/2009
    BikesDirect is a shady, scummy seller.

Okay, so they sell bikes that are sometimes an odd collection of parts. I care less about that, honestly.

What makes BD a shady, scummy seller is the way they market what they sell. Their marketing language RELIES on deception to get people to buy the bike. Because Bontrager and Specialized house brand tires are CLEARLY inferior to the clearance parts bin tires they put on this bike only because they were cheap, and not because they make sense for the build. :eyeroll:

Because CLEARLY this bike is worth $6000, but you're actually getting a smoking deal for paying only $3,000 for it (no, you're paying exactly what the seller wants you to pay, so they can make a profit on it).

Because CLEARLY a Rockshox fork is the BEST fork (even though we're throwing a stretched out xc fork onto a mid travel trail/enduro bike that's going to make the flex pretty obvious).

Because we're also going to compare to the "Specialized Expert 29" (wtf bike is that?) because we are morons who don't actually know anything about bikes.

Because our website looked like we built it in the 1990's on the Geocities platform and haven't updated it since.

Because we put random quotes on our website about other bikes and other products, you should buy THIS ONE.

We use YELLOW!

WARP SPEED!

We size our mtb's in metric, because nobody else does.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Because Bontrager and Specialized house brand tires are CLEARLY inferior

Thats abolutely true. Bontrager perhaps in the 90's "USED" to be a "cheaper" brand, (Back when it was Trek System 1, 2, or 3 components, not "Bontrager") but Bontrager stuff, I would argue, is on par with ANY component out there, save for maybe I9 hubs, Hope hubs, and Chris King.
    Other than that, I would (and DO) gladly buy Bontrager ANYTHING (especially their tires, which I consider the best kept secret in mountain biking).

Name one other product, ANY PRODUCT, that is so confident you'll like it, that you can buy it, ride it for 30 days, and if you don't like it, you can return it.
    Tires, helmets, shoes, socks, bars, stems, jackets, pants, ANYTHING Bontrager makes and sells. BEAT it for 30 days, and see if you like it.

NO ONE else does that.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    BikesDirect is a shady, scummy seller.

Okay, so they sell bikes that are sometimes an odd collection of parts. I care less about that, honestly.

What makes BD a shady, scummy seller is the way they market what they sell. Their marketing language RELIES on deception .
    Really? I bought a fat bike from them and it’s been great. Quality, fit and finish and parts spec on the bike I bought was very impressive. Customer service was awesome when I had to make a last minute order change they made it very easy. Their reputation is also very strong.

Yeah they cut corners with cheap parts here and there but there’s no “deception.” The read the parts spec, that’s what you get.

I wouldn’t buy an everyday trail bike from them but if you’re new to the sport or looking for an inexpensive second or third bike, BD is worth considering.

Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

since 4/10/2009
    You have it backwards. If you are knowledgeable and savvy, you can cut through their heavy bullshit and see what you are actually getting.

Note that I said nothing about the actual bikes, though the one mentioned in the OP is a weird hodgepodge spec. They are what they are. My problem is with the way they are marketed and sold. Other direct to consumer brands are better about not spinning lies about their bikes to get consumers to buy them than BD.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Really? I bought a fat bike from them and it’s been great. Quality, fit and finish and parts spec on the bike I bought was very impressive. Customer service was awesome when I had to make a last minute order change they made it very easy. Their reputation is also very strong.

Yeah they cut corners with cheap parts here and there but there’s no “deception.” The read the parts spec, that’s what you get.

I wouldn’t buy an everyday trail bike from them but if you’re new to the sport or looking for an inexpensive second or third bike, BD is worth considering.

Yeah, if you buy it knowing what it is, it is fine. But to say the bike being referenced is "worth" $6000+ compared to a Trek Fuel 9.8 or a Stumpjumper is disingenuous.
    The Stumpjumper and Fuel 9.8 both have better forks. The both have better shocks, they both have dropper posts from factory, the Remedy has Carbon wheels they both have a higher level quality of components.
    So, with that being the case, how is the BikesDirect bike "worth" $700 MORE than the Fuel, but it has inferior or non-equivalent components????
    They are making it look like it's "such a deal" since you are "buying a $6000 for less than half off!"
    No, it's "worth" maybe 2500-3000 based on the component spec.
    Last edited by DethWshBkr; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    This is probably a better spec for this frame... weight increases but more aligned to type of riding... same price point.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tain-bikes.htm

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Super supple gravel bike with straight handlebars?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Man this post is like click bait. The heading keeps me coming back...