Which would you run tubeless?- Mtbr.com
    Stiff yet compliant

Which would you run tubeless?

I am thinking of trying tubeless on one of my MTBs. I have the option of converting the following wheelset/tire combos:

1/ Bike 1 / Stans Arches -- Weirwolf 2.55 F / Geax Saguaro 2.2 R

2/ Bike 1 / Stans Arches - Racing Ralph 2.4 F / Racing Ralph 2.2 R

3/ Bike 2 / Sun Rhyno Lite - Mountain King 2.4 F / Exiwolf 2.3 R

4/ Bike 2 / Sun Rhyno Lite - Big Apple 2.35 F/R

Is there a particular combo that will work better tubeless (the tires themselves I am quite happy with - each combo works well for the trails/conditions I use them for)? Was planning to get one of the Stans setups.

TIA,
    V.
    EMD9, drop-bar Bandersnatch, Surly LHT, a couple of Ridleys
    ... and a lot more bruises than can be counted

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My vote is #1.

zeebot
    #2 can be a PITA to hold air if you are one of the lucky owners of one with pinhole leaks.

mtbr member

option 1

I ran option #1 on my SS in AZ for the better part of 4 months. Both tires sealed up readily at first and held on throughout. Never had as much as a burp in that time. During this time I regularly rode (70+ miles/week) in southern AZ and did endurance races in Prescott and Flagstaff.
    They may be a bit on the heavy side but I never had a flat during that time. I'd gladly pay that weight penalty to "set it and forget it."

Stiff yet compliant
    Cool - thanks for that. As it turns out, combo #1 works really well for most of my riding anyway (loose over hardpack), so if I can get it tubeless, that'd be pretty damn good.

As another option, what do y'all think of Raven 2.2 F / Crow 2.0 R run tubeless? Since Stan makes these tires to be run tubeless, I reckon it shouldnt be a problem at all.

Also (and pls bear with a somewhat noob question here) how easy/difficult would it be to swap in a different set of tube+tires if need be, and then switch back the tubeless later? I am guessing that it shouldnt be a big problem at all, but just want to make sure.

Thanks,
    V

Rider and Wrench
    Quote vkalia "Also (and pls bear with a somewhat noob question here) how easy/difficult would it be to swap in a different set of tube+tires if need be, and then switch back the tubeless later? I am guessing that it shouldnt be a big problem at all, but just want to make sure."

The swap is not bad at all- the first time I did a conversion with a full Stan's set-up I was a bit gunshy but it really is alot less hassle than you might think- I would reccomend getting some type of syringe with a hose (or buy the one Stans Sells) to recover the goo if you pan on swapping often. I is not only a $ saver but also getting liquid out of a tire in general can be a PITA- Oh and if you don't already have them the valve stems with removeable cores makes like easier as well- for inflation and adding more goo if you run in a hot/dry area-

You may want ot limit what you add to the Stans as well because some of the brews can be much tougher to remove from your tires (big boogs) where as stans wipes out (excelpt the little white stickies) and you can re-run the tire with tubes pretty quick-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Stiff yet compliant
    Thanks for that, Knottshore. One more question - do you need to add goo or stuff to Stans? I thought it was pretty much ready to go, without the need to muck around...?

V

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by vkalia
    Thanks for that, Knottshore. One more question - do you need to add goo or stuff to Stans? I thought it was pretty much ready to go, without the need to muck around...?

V
    No you don't have to but a lot of tubeless users add anything from green Tire Slime to glitter in various sizes - or use a home brew in leu of Stans (do a search you will be amazed at the extremes and concoctions!)

Just make sure you SHAKE the stans like mad and hold the bottle inverted as indicated in the destructions.... This will ensure the larger flakes make it into your tire, otherwise if you get even a tiny puncture the solution will have a hard time sealing and you will be enjoying mini white geyser of Stans spooge (while your tire goes flat...)

Do the conversion no matter what minor hurdles you encounter with the virgin conversion once you do it you will laugh at how silly you were to wait so long-

Stiff yet compliant
    Sweet. I'm sold. Am going to order a tubeless brew kit and take my Niner tubeless. I did wait a while cos of horror stories about how it can be a problem in remote locations, needs careful planning, stories of tires failing on rides, etc.

Funnily, Stan's website has no info on which of the kits works best with the Arches 29er rims, but I reckon the standard 29er kit out to do.

Thanks again to all y'all for the help!

V.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You might be misunderstanding what "kit" means. With the Arch rims, you should only need to seal the rim with Stan's yellow tape, use a Stan's valve with removable core and then either Stan's fluid or homemade good as sealant. That's it.

Live Life, Ride a Bike!
    dont forget Cafe Latex, that stuff is AWESOME!

Stiff yet compliant
    @Blatant - yeah, that's what I figured. I am guessing the rim tapes are in different sizes and lengths. The Arches are 24.4mm wide on the outers, so just need to figure out the proper-sized rim tape.

UWR - will check out the Cafe Latex, but all else being equal, for a first attempt, an all-Stans setup has the appeal of being simple and with ample documentation. Later, I will try other mixes, etc (esp with the Rhyno Lite rim).

Edit: Got the proper rim strip for the Arches - same as the Olympus. Decided to order a set for the Rhyno Lites as well. Looking forward to getting my EMD down to the 25lb range and also to seeing what this whole tubeless thang is all about.

V.
    Last edited by vkalia; 09-12-2009 at 11:57 PM.

Expert Crasher
    Option 1 would be my choice as well.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Rider and Wrench
    I recently set up a set of Arch's with a crossmark (new) and Ardent (run previously with tubes) and it was a simple set up. I put the first one on with a compressor but it hooked up so easy I tried the other with my floor pump and it caught a bead quick- done.

Members who have read this thread: 0