Would you consider Giant Anthem x 2014 used?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Would you consider Giant Anthem x 2014 used?

I recently got back in to riding again and I'm looking to update to something newer than my old 2000 Gary Fisher Paragon. I had started to lean towards the Kona Honzo but a 2014 Giant Anthem X 29 is for sale locally on Craigslist. It's listed at 1200 and I am wondering if I should consider it. I saw some threads about frame cracks with this mode and Im a little Leary. What's the general consensus with these?

mtbr member
    Too much for a 2014
    :nono:

Bikesexual
    Stick with Kona.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same but wanted to make sure I wasn't passing up the chance for full suspensions versus the Honzo as a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Still leaning towards the Kona but curious to know what would a fair price be for the anthem in good condition if it's the x1 with XT components and fox fork and shock?

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by mlindberg View Post
    Still leaning towards the Kona but curious to know what would a fair price be for the anthem in good condition if it's the x1 with XT components and fox fork and shock?
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...83&model=63782

Looks like the Fox fork and shock are OEM on the bike. This BBB listing is for an OEM equipped bike. If you are still interested in the Anthem, try to ask under $1k for the bike.
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

WillWorkForTrail
    Just no on the used anthem. As a guy who has owned a 2013 anthem since September 2012 - without a warranty that frame is on borrowed time. Iím on my third frame. I wouldnít give a plug nickel for the bike without the warranty. If you have a warranty and like xc bikes - itís great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    in my opinion/experience, bicycle blue book is often a bit low, they are not 'absolute truth' on bike values in all areas/regions. Do your own research on pinkbike and ebay sold for values to see if bbb looks right. I recently bought a 4-ish year old 'B brand' carbon road bike for my kid, I offered bbb value (25% under the guys asking price) but the guy only came down a little (it was by far the best value on craigslist for that type of bike, and a really great sub 20 pound bike for the price). My kid rode it for a month and we got an amazing deal on an awesome Raleigh Militis frameset to build up, I relisted the 'B-brand' bike on CL, some guy offered me bbb 'value' ($375 for a low miles exc condition carbon road bike, I declined), and a day later I sold it for what I was asking, because it was still the cheapest/best option around with those components/condition at 25% over bbb price. I paid over bbb value for my Scott Foil road bike, I tried offering the guy bbb value (in January even!), but his asking price (about $200 above bbb) was still the best deal around, including ebay. See if you can buy an excellent cond Hotrock 24 for your kid for what bbb says.

BBB is probably better with the more common bikes from A brands (Spec/Trek/Giant); don't always expect them to be spot on, 'used bikes' is a very complex market, - don't expect to easily find what you want for what for the prices they show.
    Of course you should use it to your advantage when making an offer on a used bike.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    in my opinion/experience, bicycle blue book is often a bit low, they are not 'absolute truth' on bike values in all areas/regions. Do your own research on pinkbike and ebay sold for values to see if bbb looks right. I recently bought a 4-ish year old 'B brand' carbon road bike for my kid, I offered bbb value (25% under the guys asking price) but the guy only came down a little (it was by far the best value on craigslist for that type of bike, and a really great sub 20 pound bike for the price). My kid rode it for a month and we got an amazing deal on an awesome Raleigh Militis frameset to build up, I relisted the 'B-brand' bike on CL, some guy offered me bbb 'value' ($375 for a low miles exc condition carbon road bike, I declined), and a day later I sold it for what I was asking, because it was still the cheapest/best option around with those components/condition at 25% over bbb price. I paid over bbb value for my Scott Foil road bike, I tried offering the guy bbb value (in January even!), but his asking price (about $200 above bbb) was still the best deal around, including ebay. See if you can buy an excellent cond Hotrock 24 for your kid for what bbb says.

BBB is probably better with the more common bikes from A brands (Spec/Trek/Giant); don't always expect them to be spot on, 'used bikes' is a very complex market, - don't expect to easily find what you want for what for the prices they show.
    Of course you should use it to your advantage when making an offer on a used bike.
    Understood. Lack of availability in my area does add a premium to a blue book value. This Giant Anthem is one of only two or three other non-walmart bikes available used that wouldn't require at least an hour and a half drive to see them in person. I'm not so much concerned about the used value as I am concerned about the future potential of a cracked frame. While the blue book values might be low I'm sure known defects or issues with particular bikes add a whole new layer of complexity to putting a price on it. I'm sure the seller wants top dollar and I'd want a price where I wouldn't get burned. I'm thinking these two values would be too far apart to make it worthwhile and not insulting to the seller.

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Just no on the used anthem. As a guy who has owned a 2013 anthem since September 2012 - without a warranty that frame is on borrowed time. Iím on my third frame. I wouldnít give a plug nickel for the bike without the warranty. If you have a warranty and like xc bikes - itís great.
    Honest answer. Possibly somewhat mitigated if you are light, as in less than 150 lbs. or so.

In general, I think you have to look hard at prices for used bikes with used parts and no warranty or LBS support. You can find a decent new FS bike for less that 3k if you shop around and and can deal with dependable lower-end components that weigh more.

I am all for buying used, but with bikes I have found clearance deals on new bikes that made more sense than the prices on used. Current components, brand new, waranteed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    $1,200 sounds a bit steep, but how used is it? If someone bought it, rode it twice, and then left it in the garage for four years then that's entirely different than a very used bike which might require you to service the fork/shock and replace the entire drivetrain right off the bat. $900-$1000 if it's gently used sounds fair. I would recommend you throw a dropper on it if you buy it. The wheels suck, but because it's a pre-Boost bike you can get a quality upgrade for those quite affordably if you keep your eyes open.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Aren't you a heavier gent? Kind of feels like something you should consistently caveat in your unceasing quest to run down the Anthem for being prone to breakage.

I was the second owner of a 2012 Anthem 29 and beat the shit out of it for thousands of miles with zero issues after the first owner beat the shit out of it for thousands of miles, but I weigh 160 with gear. It's still having the shit beat out of it by the third owner, who weighs about what I do.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by mbr4527 View Post

Aren't you a heavier gent? Kind of feels like something you should consistently caveat in your unceasing quest to run down the Anthem for being prone to breakage.

I was the second owner of a 2012 Anthem 29 and beat the shit out of it for thousands of miles with zero issues after the first owner beat the shit out of it for thousands of miles, but I weigh 160 with gear. It's still having the shit beat out of it by the third owner, who weighs about what I do.
    Yeah sure. I weigh 220 at 6í4Ē and I build trail for a living. I ride the bike hard but Iíve never done anything close to Ďbeat the shit out of ití yet itís still broken twice in exactly the same place. Caveat whatever. I donít feel like the frame SHOULD be breaking, and the number of frames that have broken, not all of them under heavier gents, would suggest that perhaps buying one without a warranty may be a bit of a gamble. Better?

I still wouldnít do it, not used. Not without a warranty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    buy a used bike through Pinkbike.com expand your choices. there is uncertainty in a used purchase, and even seeing one in person may not prevent a bad buy, but it is preferable to sight unseen.

here is a decent video on good and bad of buying a used bike. of course, your exp will vary. but donít be so limited by in-person local selection that you become fixated on a model with known frame issues.

https://youtu.be/mhOEKq1vZe4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Coitharyus is right they have reputation for breaking at the top tube seat tube weld, had it happen to me, Giant took care of extremely quick but used you would SOL. For 1200 budget keep looking. If going used and HT is option for you you will likely find a better deal. If FS is required just be real careful.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    No need for a fullsuspension. 700$US is good to get a decent hardtail, 1,200$ gets you a good one. Obviously i never buy from a 240 pounder, just common sense. I prefer a 4-5 years old quality bike over a new one for a similar price. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would say get the best bang for buck hardtail you can afford that meets needs and save a little for a fork rebuild not too long after than (Just in case).

Good luck looking.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can do a lot more with a hardtail these days with Boost space for 2.6" tires on wide 40mm rims. In Iowa I'd be looking for a good frame to ride and upgrade with a better fork and wheels down the road. Honzo, Timberjack, Chameleon, Nukeproof Scout, Pedalhead if used and priced right, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    You can do a lot more with a hardtail these days with Boost space for 2.6" tires on wide 40mm rims. In Iowa I'd be looking for a good frame to ride and upgrade with a better fork and wheels down the road. Honzo, Timberjack, Chameleon, Nukeproof Scout, Pedalhead if used and priced right, etc.
    Pretty sure this is where Im headed. The Honzo or Timberjack being the best options since there are dealers within driving distance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by mlindberg View Post
    Pretty sure this is where Im headed. The Honzo or Timberjack being the best options since there are dealers within driving distance.
    I love my 29x2.3 XC hardtail 100mm, but i am looking at that too. Adding an other hardtail with 29x2.6, 120mm. In my book i keep the double option for after 70-80. It is just fun a simple bike with little maintenance not to mention the light weight. It will be 11 speeds 11-50 and the cheapest color available

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For future fork upgrade I like Manitou for the tunability. A great fork make a hardtail very capable.
    https://nsmb.com/articles/manitou-mattoc-pro-fork/

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I have had good experiences with my Salsa Timberjack NX1 and I don't have much to complain about it other than I wish that the brakes were more powerful and also that the tires were tubeless ready.

Get the GX version of the Timberjack and you won't have to worry about the brakes and running tubes should be fine for you. When the tires wear out you can always get better ones.

The Timberjack has a better drivetrain than the Kona Honzo and better value for the money, so I would get the Timberjack if I were you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberjackJG View Post
    I have had good experiences with my Salsa Timberjack NX1 and I don't have much to complain about it other than I wish that the brakes were more powerful and also that the tires were tubeless ready.

Get the GX version of the Timberjack and you won't have to worry about the brakes and running tubes should be fine for you. When the tires wear out you can always get better ones.

The Timberjack has a better drivetrain than the Kona Honzo and better value for the money, so I would get the Timberjack if I were you.
    Done! Found a Timberjack nx1 29er on end of year discount at a shop about an hour and a half away. With the money I saved some upgrades could happen next spring. For now I'll ride it as is.