Wire Bead for Stans 29er?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Wire Bead for Stans 29er?

How many people are breaking this rule?
    I've used Stans for quite a while now with 26er.....but I am now going to race a 29er.
    I surely don't want to use a wired tire though. I intended on using the new Karma.
    Reality check please.

Transplant
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonius
    I've used Stans for quite a while now with 26er.....but I am now going to race a 29er.
    I surely don't want to use a wired tire though. I intended on using the new Karma.
    Reality check please.
    The Crow by NoTubes.com is going to look identical to the Karma but its probably not the tire your after, more the weight. All the people I know rocking stans either have tubeless or are using wire bead. Just wanted to give you a heads up about The Crow if your looking to be compliant and have a solid race tire. BTW its not out yet but they have a picture on http://twentynineinches.com/

500 grams isn't horrible for a 29er race tire.

Jan 2004
    I guess I'm confused. I assumed everyone was using stans, but I didn't know they were using wire tires speci****ly for the 29er application. The fasttrack, Karma, Ignitors that everyone are using are wired bead? Wire bead always translated to more weight - but if they are making a wire bead Karma that only weighs 530 grams - then I am cool with that.
    I can't remember the last time I used a wired tire.

Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    The Crow by NoTubes.com is going to look identical to the Karma but its probably not the tire your after, more the weight. All the people I know rocking stans either have tubeless or are using wire bead. Just wanted to give you a heads up about The Crow if your looking to be compliant and have a solid race tire. BTW its not out yet but they have a picture on http://twentynineinches.com/

500 grams isn't horrible for a 29er race tire.

mtbr member

Rims

I guess I'm confused. I assumed everyone was using stans, but I didn't know they were using wire tires speci****ly for the 29er application. The fasttrack, Karma, Ignitors that everyone are using are wired bead? Wire bead always translated to more weight - but if they are making a wire bead Karma that only weighs 530 grams - then I am cool with that.
    I can't remember the last time I used a wired tire.
    Depends on the rims you are using. I have Stans Olympics and have run them with and without wired tires. No issues

Transplant
    Yeah I mean I guess there are exceptions and you can use what you want. I am pretty sure that Stans says to use wire for liability, but thats just me guessing. I know that the wirebead will hold up better over time without tubes. The guy I know that has Ignitors on Salsas is using the wire Ignitors. But compared to everything out there 29", 500 grams is smoking! I think the Crows will be around $45 MSRP but with them not being out, I cannot say for sure. I am not sure what the Kendas come in at.

Sep 2005
    Reality check please.
    Stan's Olympic Disc with kev Fastracs. No issues yet but only 5 rides on em'. On my 26" I have Olympic Disc with kev Hutchinson 2.3 which is I guess a no-no. No problem many rides on them.

Members who have read this thread: 0