Wily Tiyote- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wily Tiyote

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Wily Tiyote

Well I finally got my Wily Ti frame after 9 months of waiting. So far it rides well and am pleased with the geometry. Having seen it now there would be a few subtle changes I would make.The gussetts on the head tube are a bit on the ugly side but serve their purpose and I would have selected the shinier tubing to further highlight the etching. The design is pretty much what I expected and would only tweak a few things on that. It rides much like my Airborne 26 Ti frame with the obvious benefits of the 29 wheel. It is mucher harder to ride skinny objects( logs bridges, etc) than the 26er but I suspect in a few rides I'll get used to it. Dean service is all that it is rumored to be so be prepared for long waits. Welds all seem good ( time will tell). So far I am enjoying it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

vegan cyclocross disco
    YEAH Brian!

Looks great. The etching is beautiful looking. Very nice. Can't wait to see it in person.
    Full Disclosure:
    Sponsor: Team Awesome
    Job: Trek Store Columbus
    Organizer: capcitycross.com

blog.

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike I don't understand why people are willing to wait so long for custom bikes when IMHO there are numerous builders out there that can deliver bikes in around 2 months from conception
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    I don't understand why people are willing to wait so long for custom bikes when IMHO there are numerous builders out there that can deliver bikes in around 2 months from conception
    Maybe because they want a frame from a particular builder. If you're not in a hurry then why settle for fast when you can get exactly what you want with a little patience?
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

Go hard or go home
    I am glad that Wily is back up and running, after what appeared to be them hanging it up...having said that, your review of the quality seems less than stellar...with 9 months and a few grand invested...eek...am I not interpreting your comments correctly (I hope so...)
    Best coffee ever... www.copperdoorcoffee.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've only had it out on one ride so far but I am pleased. Wily is just an off-shoot of Dean and I am not sure how much the original owner is involved ( possibly just designing new rigs). Knowing about the long wait time I may have opted for another builder ( probably Viscious ) but I most likely would have had to opt for steel and not Ti ( which I like the ride qualities and durability of Ti. Aluminum is not my cup of tea.

Go hard or go home
    huh...interesting...I thought Wily was out of some guy's garage in Boulder...wonder if we have a name cross-over problem here...i only know of Wily Cycles (www.wilycycles.com) and thought it was an extremely local deal...maybe I am misinformed.
    Best coffee ever... www.copperdoorcoffee.com/

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Well I've seen to many reports from reliable, good builders turning stuff around in decent time doing full custom, so what's not to like and get you "exactly what you want"? 9 months is a hell of a long time to get a bike built from final approval of the design.

Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    Maybe because they want a frame from a particular builder. If you're not in a hurry then why settle for fast when you can get exactly what you want with a little patience?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    hey bwillsie, from the 1st photo it looks like your front brake cable is just loose and running down to the brake along the fork leg. I hope there is a cable restraint somewhere i can;t see. if not you need to strap that thing to the fork leg to keep it outta the tire or you'll end up on your face. jus lookin out fer ya man.
    the time is right for violent revolution

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wily is alive and well and operated by Dean. I've got another Wily coming soon myself. Their bikes are solid and my first one is going on it's thrid season now.

Love the ti frame and the decorations on it are amazing. Congrats!

Self-defeatist
    Um, that bike is hawt. I love the etching/media blasting/whateva. Nice job getting something unique.

-CL
    I'm covered in beer.

Semper Ardens
    Quote Originally Posted by bwillsie
    ...I would have selected the shinier tubing to further highlight the etching.
    How is the etching done? and is it durable? is there a clear coat over it?

My Wily is pretty stealth looking. No stickers or decals. Just a head tube badge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When you come to a rock, ride over it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You seem very underwhelmed by the ride versus what you were expecting. I'm hoping thats not the case.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wily then and now

Quote Originally Posted by Sinjin4131
    huh...interesting...I thought Wily was out of some guy's garage in Boulder...wonder if we have a name cross-over problem here...i only know of Wily Cycles (www.wilycycles.com) and thought it was an extremely local deal...maybe I am misinformed.
    Wily was run by a person here in Boulder (an acquaintance of mine). Frames were designed by him, building of the frames was by 1-2 builders in the area, depending on material, and paint was by Spectrum (I believe). At some point, he started working with Dean to have them do all of the front end stuff. I don't know if he still does the design or not - he used to post here some, and maybe he can comment if he is still around.

Steve

mtbr member
    What actually separates a current Wily from a Dean? I mean does the original person behind Wily still design the frame's geometry and Dean guys just build em?

Cracker-magnon
    Exactly
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    ssperl, i like the stealth look of your rig.

i also like the sweet etching on bwillsies frame. i had an IF 29er built last fall and honestly it just took me a while to get the feel of the bike but now I am LOVING the big wheels and the amazing ride quality of frame. i bet yours will feel better with every ride.

living in boulder, i have been intrigued by the Wily frames for a while but rarely see them around.
    nobody reads your blog

mtbr member

Good job! THe Wily is one great looking bike!

Can't wait to give it a try Brian. Though you had to wait awhile it looks like it has been worth it. I am sure we won't see many of these out on the trails. It is truly a standout! Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The etching is essentially sandblasting to give the tubing a more matte finish. There is no clearcoat on top. There is nothing to rub off so it should always appear pretty much the same way. It rides very well . It was a subtle transition for me from my 26er which is what I wanted. For a hardtail guy like me the Titanium 29er is a good choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey guys, how are your Wily Ti 29er's holding up? I'm looking at pulling the trigger on one of their Classic 29er Ti frames myself. Do you notice any lateral flexibility? Any rear wheel rub on the chainstay while mashing the steepest grades?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I'm actually with Lynx on this one.

Plus it doesn't sound like he got EXACTLY what he wanted. Look at his little review...

Anyhow OP. Nice looking bike! I love the little paw prints. Only thing I don't like is the tires. but that is a personal pref.

Frame Building Moderator

As far as I know

Brad was the original Wily guy, he did customer service and design, and farmed out the actual building to a variety of local folks. At some point he basically sold the brand to Dean, and as far as I know, they are entirely designed/produced/etc by Dean now.

The Boulder framebuilding scene is large, diverse, and incestuous - lots of folks have done time working for Dean, Zinn, Spot, Yeti, or someone else, and people go in and out of business constantly.

I used to see Wilys pretty frequently here in Boulder 4 or 5 years ago, but they are thin on the ground these days, at least from what I've seen.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavenpo2000
    I'm looking at pulling the trigger on one of their Classic 29er Ti frames myself.
    Plan on more like lighting a really, really, really, really long slow burning fuse. If you are ordering now, get it with enough room for studded tires so that you can be able to ride it when you do finally get it.
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

mtbr member
    Gotta agree with LyNx on this one. 9 months is excessive for this project.

I will say it is a nice bike.

Why Wily, though? Exact same build is available from others. Just curious.

rmb
    mtbr member
    If I'm waiting 9 months for something it better walk and talk eventually.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

So far so good

I have had the bike for some time now. I don't have any problems with my 2.3 tires rubbing the chainstays at all.It seem pretty stiff overall. The etching is somewhat faded only because I believe they use a black rubbing/buffing compound to highlight it and if I had some it probably be brought back to original. The frame has done well for me. I have broke one headset ( cups totally separated both top an bottom) I went through three xt hubs one the spline that holds freewheel on totally rounded off. and one derailleur possibly a hanger ( which I got replacements through paragon cheapest i found) not sure if any of these could be attributed to the bike with the exception of the headest( hard to tell maybe tube ovalized due to stress maybe just the headset). I have a Phil wood square taper bottom bracket which is 113 which may be a little long 110 probably would have been better as I get some chain suck between smallest cog and bb shell ( some point I'll adjust it over more.) In any case I been upgrading parts to Chris King and other high end parts when I can. I'll finally be swapping the tires out this next spring. Not sure If Dean is any quicker than they used to be or not as I have not had to contact them(hopefully it won't be for some time and if I do they will still be in business, in any case I am sure there are others who can fix Ti in the event of a break)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the replys. I put my order in today with John at Dean/Wily cycles. I didn't realize until I put my order in that they have enough sizes/diameters of Ti tubing in stock (i.e. not custom) to enable them to pick tubing based on my 200 lb physique. I'm 100% confident that the frame will have no issues with flex beyond the desireable kind that's inherent with Ti. John was totally cool when he talked me through the ordering process. My "beefed" up frame will weigh in at about 3.5 lbs. Lead time: 4-6 weeks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am about the same weight and mine has held up. Hopefully they can adhere to that time frame. He is friendly enough, just needs to be up front on how long mine was going to take and stick to it. Perhaps with the economy the way it is less people are shelling out for custom frames or maybe they got it together since I got mine. Good luck and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavenpo2000
    Lead time: 4-6 weeks.
    Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0