Wily build-up, Chapter I...(x-post SS)- Mtbr.com
    hispanic mechanic

Wily build-up, Chapter I...(x-post SS)

The frame got to the shop on Friday, and I have to say, it's really frickin' pretty! The Wily crew did a stellar job, fillet brazes look as good as can be, and Spectrum... well, what can I say about Spectrum- I don't think you can find wet paint that's any better!
    Anyway, here's the frame and fork at the shop. I went in today to start the build, ran into a few snags, and didn't get as far as I wanted. Oh, and I forgot to take the camera today, but I'll post pics of what I got done later...

the los
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

rider
    Love the frame and color scheme with the panels. Seat tube and post clamp are nice!
    What's up with canti rear, disc only front, horizontal dropout, no EBB combo?

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    oh my...that's a beauty. your's and appleseed's frames are two of the prettiest i have seen and they are both wilys!!!

congrats and that is one hellava sweet fork. nice ht badge too. jen greene do it???

cheers!

mtbr member

What shop is that?

I was admiring your pictures, and it suddenly struck me that the bike shop looks like Cycle World in Reseda, CA. Could it be? I got my Mt. Tam 29er there.

Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    The frame got to the shop on Friday, and I have to say, it's really frickin' pretty! The Wily crew did a stellar job, fillet brazes look as good as can be, and Spectrum... well, what can I say about Spectrum- I don't think you can find wet paint that's any better!
    Anyway, here's the frame and fork at the shop. I went in today to start the build, ran into a few snags, and didn't get as far as I wanted. Oh, and I forgot to take the camera today, but I'll post pics of what I got done later...

the los

hispanic mechanic

Answers...

Swami: I decided to go with horizontal track ends for a few reasons. First, this frame will spend a decent amount (probably quite a bit) of it's life as a fixed gear. That being said, I wanted to have a frame that was simple, low maintenance, and relatively light weight. Granted, EBBs aren't that much heavier, maintenance isn't too big of a deal, and it's not like they're Rube Goldberg complex. The decicion came because I don't think that a rear disc brake gives me, in Southern California and later in Texas, enough benefit to make up for these minor pecadillos, not to mention the added expense and weight of a rear disc brake.

Kam: Yup, that's Jen's work. Nice...

Econoline: That shop is Adams Ave. Bicycles, where I work. Funny, I've had a lot of folks tell me that our shop reminds them of a favorite shop elsewhere; American Cyclery, shops back east, now Cycle World! I think there's some sort of synergy with really cool shops that makes them look similar.

Thanks for the complements, all of you. I'm glad I can share this experience with everyone, and look for more pics soon!

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

rider
    Jen Greene headbadge, very cool! I met her on the trail one day when I noticed her and her riding buddies, headbadges. Philly girl does headbadge works of art - awesome.

What's the standard Wily headbadge? a sticker?

Was that panel paint job an upcharge?

hispanic mechanic

Ummm...

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSwami.com
    Jen Greene headbadge, very cool! I met her on the trail one day when I noticed her and her riding buddies, headbadges. Philly girl does headbadge works of art - awesome.

What's the standard Wily headbadge? a sticker?

Was that panel paint job an upcharge?
    I think the standard Headbadge is a decal, but the Jen Greene hb is now an option from Wily.
    The panel paint job is an upcharge. They offer a one color Spectrum powdercoat standard, but I had to be picky!

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com