Willow gets third in World Championships- Mtbr.com
    Category Winner

Willow gets third in World Championships

Watching the Worlds live on freecasterTV...

Awesome to watch live. I'm not gonna bother to stay up and watch the men though.

Yeah, she was on a 29'er.

http://www.cyclingdirt.org/videos/co...-xc-live-video
    Last edited by teamdicky; 09-04-2009 at 06:44 PM.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

(was) Big in Japan

Bronze

for Willow - congratulations!
    Ride.

WNC Native
    Congrats to Willow, sweet to watch one of our former locals finish that well.
    Proof that short people can ride big wheels!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Recovering
    Just got the e-mail from Steve Johnson, USAC pres, trumpeting Willow's bronze, so naturally I logged on here to see the 29er talk.

Great to see a top result from Willow, and on a 29er no less. Irminger in 10th. Compton 14th (Compton's on a 29er- was Irminger on hers too?), Gould 15th.

LMN's wife in 6th, beaten by a 29er at the most important race of the season. Can't wait to see where THIS thread goes.

UCI live timing results here:
    http://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-...U3NjQ&LangId=1
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by jbogner
    Just got the e-mail from Steve Johnson, USAC pres, trumpeting Willow's bronze, so naturally I logged on here to see the 29er talk.

Great to see a top result from Willow, and on a 29er no less. Irminger in 10th. Compton 14th (Compton's on a 29er- was Irminger on hers too?), Gould 15th.

LMN's wife in 6th, beaten by a 29er at the most important race of the season. Can't wait to see where THIS thread goes.

UCI live timing results here:
    http://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-...U3NjQ&LangId=1
    Well, hopefully this thread goes to show that 29"ers are a serious pro level tool to win races on.

Most interesting that these results are being gotten by women who are "too small for a 29"er". That is particularly interesting to me. I also feel there is another angle to the 29"ers and women story that has to do with stability and confidence in downhills that maybe doesn't translate to the men's side so much. (This from an interview with Heather Irminger and talking with some other 29"er riding women)

Anyway, congrats to Willow.

Fisher/Subaru is making some waves on 29"ers in the pro ranks this year. Crazy!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Wicked ride by Willow. Not really surprising though. After watching her ride at the last couple of World Cups, it was obvious she had the form. Combine good form with a course that suits her skill set really well (with all those years in Whistler few are as good at technical climbs as her) and you get a wicked ride. (You have to wonder if Willow had been able to clear Sabine earlier if the silver or gold would have been in reach)

A decent ride by Catharine, but not her best, technical climbing is something she needs to work on.

Good to see the three main types of race bike on the podium (26inch hardtain, 26in dually, and 29er).

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Dude, enough. You are like a bible thumper, although for 29ers.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Well, hopefully this thread goes to show that 29"ers are a serious pro level tool to win races on.

Most interesting that these results are being gotten by women who are "too small for a 29"er". That is particularly interesting to me. I also feel there is another angle to the 29"ers and women story that has to do with stability and confidence in downhills that maybe doesn't translate to the men's side so much. (This from an interview with Heather Irminger and talking with some other 29"er riding women)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve Lansteamer
    Dude, enough. You are like a bible thumper, although for 29ers.
    Ehh, leave him alone. Jesus is actually from Iowa. He dances with the corn.

Congrats to the small gal on the big friggin bike. Awesome!

Umm....... is Australia nearer to Bismarck or Tuscaloosa?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    Wicked ride by Willow. Not really surprising though. After watching her ride at the last couple of World Cups, it was obvious she had the form. Combine good form with a course that suits her skill set really well (with all those years in Whistler few are as good at technical climbs as her) and you get a wicked ride. (You have to wonder if Willow had been able to clear Sabine earlier if the silver or gold would have been in reach)

A decent ride by Catharine, but not her best, technical climbing is something she needs to work on.

Good to see the three main types of race bike on the podium (26inch hardtain, 26in dually, and 29er).
    I was just going to defend you but you defended yourself first! You gave Willow props a few weeks ago and I was going to mention that. I was hoping for Catharine to take the gold, but great job anyway.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    I was just going to defend you but you defended yourself first! You gave Willow props a few weeks ago and I was going to mention that. I was hoping for Catharine to take the gold, but great job anyway.
    No need for that. Everything was meant in good humour.

Both myself and Catharine were both excited for Willow. Two years ago she was on fire and then had real problems last year. It is great to see her comeback and ride so strong.

Switching to the 29er the right choice for Willow. The bike is just about two pounds lighter then her 26er.

BTW if all XC courses become like the Worlds course you are going to see some changes to the convential XC bike, larger wheels being one possible opitions.
    Last edited by LMN; 09-04-2009 at 10:18 PM.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The course looked awesome. I'm just watching the recap (w/o sound?) ; I loved how there was a easy route or a shorter, harder route. I doubt the woman who took the easy route and collided with someone coming down the hard route feels the same.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The course looked really fun. Good job Willow!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

I've got to ask since your wife rides for Luna, why are they all using LUST (UST tires)? They are considerably heavier and require more wattage to power at speed. Granted, the ride is better than say a Stans'd clincher but the weight is not easily overlooked.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link, Dicko. Can you believe they don't live broadcast this on Aussie tv?

Although considering we blitzed the 4X titles, maybe we'll actually get some coverage.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

wrench
    Hey all- Still in Oz here, but wanted to say thanks to all the well wishers. I will pass them on to Willow.

First off, she was fantastic. She said it- she was going for the gold! She could definatly taste it. On the last descent with one lap to go, she was 10 seconds out of first behind Lene. Willow used Sabine to a "t" making the German pull her through the headwind sections then taking the lead on the tech sections. The Russian was too fast though and killed the last lap for sure- she was the deserving Champ and a sweety at that she told Willow to "get on and lets catch Lene" as she passed her- hats off to Irina. I am so proud of Willow and Heather too (her best World's finish as well).

I have to say, I am usually a nervous mess in the tech zones, but not yesterday. I was so calm I actually thought something was wrong with me, but then realized nothing was going to go wrong with Willow's ride. Heather even flatted on the first lap- not her fault really as she was pushed off line and ran over a huge sharp rock. She was cool as a cucumber and I swear the wheel change was like those funny dreams you have like every thing is in slow motion with no sound, but as soon as the wheel was changed all sound, motion and speed came right back. It was really cool and surreal at the same time.

Photos are from Rob Jones. I will post mine up when I get them down loaded.

Cheers Mates! Off to do some more drinkin!

Matto
    Attached Images Attached Images

wrench
    I forgot to say, the course was AWESOME!!! I got 3 laps in myself out there. It was a very different course for sure. It did not favor any one type of bike that is for sure. It was such a mental mind game on the climbs- very steep with boulders to climb over and narrow. Descents were wicked with rock faces, ditch jumps and 3 foot huck drops at high speed. Mix that with a pump track down hill towards the end and a long fire road climb in the middle it makes for a super fun and challenging course. Hardpack with gravel, boulders and sand- it was like riding at home for me (Colorado).

Those Aussies did a great job Cheers to all of ya! A big shout out to the guys and gals at Canberra's Bike Culture shop and a thanks to the fella's at Trek Australia too. Ya want to talk 29 fanatics? Look those bloks up.

Cheers all

Matto

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MessagefromTate
    I've got to ask since your wife rides for Luna, why are they all using LUST (UST tires)? They are considerably heavier and require more wattage to power at speed. Granted, the ride is better than say a Stans'd clincher but the weight is not easily overlooked.
    Good question. No doubt the wheel weight is a bit penality. But there are some advantages; tougher tires, means less flats and most importantly it allows lower pressure, which improves rolling resistence, grip, ride, ect..... When Catharine first started riding with them it was a concern for her. After a year of riding tubeless tires she will probably never go back to convetional tires converted.

Look at it this way a tubeless tire provides some of the same advantages and disadvantages of 29er over a 26er with conventional tires. It is just another approach to problem of making a bike fast, light, and durable.

If the wheel inertia really made a significant difference then there would be no talk of racing 29ers.

mtbr member
    Congrats to Willow. I watched the video and wow, did that course look fun. If I am ever down there I will be sure to grab a few laps. The pump section with the table tops and the
    big bermed down hill..

mtbr member
    Look at it this way a tubeless tire provides some of the same advantages and disadvantages of 29er over a 26er with conventional tires.
    Heavier wheel of the same size is much different than heavier wheel of bigger size. Just my 0.02$

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Good question. No doubt the wheel weight is a bit penality. But there are some advantages; tougher tires, means less flats and most importantly it allows lower pressure, which improves rolling resistence, grip, ride, ect..... When Catharine first started riding with them it was a concern for her. After a year of riding tubeless tires she will probably never go back to convetional tires converted.
    to think there are several other awesome riding destinations within a few km's of the worlds course too ! Some might argue, better riding :-) Canberra is a great place to ride, the course is technical, fast, flowy, and rewarding the better technical skills.

From a spectator point of view, how does one provide for more passing opportunities to enable the cream to ride to the top ?

However, How do you get up cardiac with a 36t only, up front ? (Absalon only ran one ring)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raceer2
    However, How do you get up cardiac with a 36t only, up front ? (Absalon only ran one ring)
    Simple. You be Julien Absalon.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Mattomoto: "It did not favor any one type of bike that is for sure."
    Looking at the mens results it did favor 26"HT for sure. (Not to play the devils advocate).
    #1-7 on 26" HT(?).

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    Quote Mattomoto: "It did not favor any one type of bike that is for sure."
    Looking at the mens results it did favor 26"HT for sure. (Not to play the devils advocate).
    #1-7 on 26" HT(?).
    I think you will find it suited the 7 riders who were best at riding the conditions put in front of them.

San Diego County
    Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    Looking at the mens results it did favor 26"HT for sure.
    oh ya, that's a good indicator ...whatever

Thanks for the links to the coverage guys Congrats to Willow for the podium and those like mattmoto that help put her there.
    Last edited by Duzitall; 09-06-2009 at 07:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

mtbr member
    Everyone knows Brut-33 is the key to winning.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    Thanks for the link, Dicko. Can you believe they don't live broadcast this on Aussie tv?

Although considering we blitzed the 4X titles, maybe we'll actually get some coverage.
    Yeah, the four cross stuff was awesome.
    I hate to use the word, but the course was hella cool.

The announcer referred to the Japanese rider as a Kamikaze.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I thought LUST stood for Lightweight Ultimate Sidewall Technology.
    I think this is short for less rubber in the sidewalls for a lighter tyre. Guys I know running them say they tear pretty easy.
    Being an Aussie local it was pretty awesome to watch the Worlds live!

wrench
    Thanks Duzitall

Here's some pics from my lens. I think the locals were impressed with the racing too Saw some of these guys right on the course during the women's race

Cheers!

Matto

ADIDAB
    The racing in both the mens and womens XC was awesome and I enjoyed every minute of it. It was also great to see Willow do so well on her 29er too. She had great form leading into the Worlds and the rewards were well deserved.

It's been interesting hearing overseas people's perception of the course and venue too, nearly all of it positive, which is pretty cool.

There were a few 29er riders in attendence, most notably Willow, JHK and Todd Wells. I noticed there were a few Japanese riders on Superfly's too...

Here are a couple of pics I took of Willow (among others)
    My LBS | Riding this and this

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm just considering moving to a 29er. @ 165cm I'd like to know what size frame does Willow ride?
    I was just before the tech zone. One of the USA girls rolled a rock drop off on her 29er when she realized that wasn't the line she wanted. A 26er would have OTB'd!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I believe Willow is on a small and Heather is on a medium.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    I believe Willow is on a small and Heather is on a medium.
    This is correct.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 6" and i ride a small superfly - fits me perfectly. The biggest advantage i find is way more down hill stability and [roll-on] power that just feels smooth smooth. i have a 105 mm stem on with k-force flat bars. Feels awesome. I don't get the whole - wide big sweep - bars they put on 29ers.

wrench
    Willow runs a stock small frame with a 75mm 25^ down stem. Fits her nicely.

Mattomoto

mtbr member
    She's so HOT

craigsj
    If the wheel inertia really made a significant difference then there would be no talk of racing 29ers.
    That is untrue both trivially, people will say the most ridiculous things, and nontrivially, disadvantages can be offset by advantages. It is a frequent claim in cycling that angular momentum has no downside since those who see value in heavier wheels/tires are simply in denial over it. Interestingly, common 29er hype has it that greater angular momentum is an inherent advantage of the format. Roadies who argue for heavy wheels claim that they help maintain a faster, smoother pace. There's no end to stupidity.

Look at it this way a tubeless tire provides some of the same advantages and disadvantages of 29er over a 26er with conventional tires. It is just another approach to problem of making a bike fast, light, and durable.
    This would be an example of a ridiculous argument. A true non sequitur.

mtbr member

Looks like saddle and bar are roughly parallel?

Quote Originally Posted by mattomoto

Mattomoto
    Is that typical for a 29er pro racer?
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

wrench
    Nice photo's Steve N.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by October26
    I thought LUST stood for Lightweight Ultimate Sidewall Technology.
    I think this is short for less rubber in the sidewalls for a lighter tyre. Guys I know running them say they tear pretty easy.
    Being an Aussie local it was pretty awesome to watch the Worlds live!
    It is an acronym for Maxxis version of UST certified tires.

banned
    Golf ball and a garden hose.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted

Yes, agreed and congratulations to Willow!
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I thought Willow was riding a small FS, either the SuperFly or one of the HiFi's??

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by soly
    I thought Willow was riding a small FS, either the SuperFly or one of the HiFi's??
    She was riding a 26"er up until Vermont. Sometimes hardtail, and sometimes FS.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Did I catch a niner+?

Mattomoto
    I thought I read on her site somewhere that she rides a XS she's about 5' 2".

pink
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    I thought I read on her site somewhere that she rides a XS she's about 5' 2".

pink
    That's 26". Small 29" seems to work out well enough for her :-)
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Always Learning

Mattomoto

Cool. What's that rear tire she's running? Almost looks like the tread of a Furious Fred.

BB

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am trying to figure out which Gary Fisher full suspension 29er she is riding?? Anyone know?

ADIDAB
    Quote Originally Posted by soly
    I am trying to figure out which Gary Fisher full suspension 29er she is riding?? Anyone know?
    Willow rode a Superfly HT at the Worlds. I suspect she would be riding a Superfly 100 if she chose an FS...
    My LBS | Riding this and this

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    she is riding a 26" FS (a procaliber) in a picture on the fisher site.

Leg Shaver
    and she is in the big ring most of the time

how tall is she?
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike Turner
    and she is in the big ring most of the time

how tall is she?
    If I recall correctly she said she was 5'2".
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Leg Shaver
    Wow she is a true spinner after all. pun intended; or not

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Cool. What's that rear tire she's running? Almost looks like the tread of a Furious Fred.

BB
    Hey Bruce- She runs a 29-3 2.0 front and XR1 rear most of the time. That is what she ran at Worlds too.

FS bikes she rode a Procal this year, but never raced it. Superfly 100 is too big for her and she loves her ht 29 so much, she probably will not touch one anyway. I built her a 26" HiFi for Ashland SD (1st place) and Downieville that was pretty cool. Size small on all those as well as a size small 26 ht (not an XS)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    op please delete, sorry

Members who have read this thread: 0