will there be any room left?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

will there be any room left?

I just scoped the 29" site and saw the new Zion 29er, I was wondering, and have been for a little while now, is there going to be any room in the market left for the bigger (slower) companies like Specialized and Cannondale to manufacture a 29er?
    it seems that even now there is a plethora of options for a quality mid to high end xc 29er, do you think these guys will be able to fight for a share of the market?

mtbr member
    Zion 29er? Where is this information located?

Nov 2005
    Just as there is still room for major auto builders to enter the hybrid market, the big bike companies can enter 29er market.

I don't know that I'd call the current stock a plethora just yet. The movement will benefit from their entry. The untapped market is in the $350 - $600 range. The big boys have to sell a lot of bikes at that price to justify a major retool.

As more buyers go 29, it will eventually force them to act, but they are getting pulled from two ends right now: FS and 29.

Someday, you will have 10 options in a $600 FS 29er. That will be a plethora.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Zion 29er? Where is this information located?
    http://twentynineinches.com/

mtbr member
    If they offer a Zion in a basic no ebb/ no sliding droputout/bolt on whatever drop out model, They'd sell pretty well. (I think it said in the link above it will be available but then I got a bit confused..lol).
    I know two guys who have the 26" version and they're not too shabby. Good welds, decent weight, great price. JUST PLEASE MAKE ONE MODEL GEARED ONLY !!!!!!!! Thank you.

mtbr member

Just re-read the link/post.. slight edit from previous post

The bikes I saw (26")from Jenson are 853 steel. Pretty sweet deal. The 29er seems to be 4130...why? why? why?... Are all these "new" frames coming from the same factory with just tweaked dropouts.
    Here I was all excited about a steal (and steel) of a frame from Zion.

Recovering couch patato
    I think with every new offering, more people get intrigued and convinced to go 29" for their next bike, or worse : get an extra bike they didn't knew they needed.
    If Jenson makes like 400 Zion's in 29", just from there regular customers maybe 1000 will be converted to 29" because of it over the next year. They don't all buy the Zion after all, may want to spend more once they're all fired up about the big wheel thing. So there's room for another player on the 29" market, and another.
    I am pretty sure that if Specialized would launch even just one 29" model, the impact on the industry would be such that they stand no chance in making enough of them. The competition will have to up production to scrape for impact. At one point 26" production numbrs and model numbers may have to be adjusted too, not EVERYONE is getting a 29" bike on top of the 26" stable. 26" used market will get increasingly flooded. Resale prices for 26" go down, even harder to sell new 26" bikes for retail.
    Everyone making a buck in the bike industry better prepare themselves. It's not about if, but how fast the 26" standard will lose ground.
    Since bikes are much like dogs and unlike girlfriends(bikes are loyal), there's really zero reason to not go for the nicer bike when having to pick between it and the not so nice one.

Harmonius Wrench

Brand loyalty....to a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by crashedupderby
    I just scoped the 29" site and saw the new Zion 29er, I was wondering, and have been for a little while now, is there going to be any room in the market left for the bigger (slower) companies like Specialized and Cannondale to manufacture a 29er?
    it seems that even now there is a plethora of options for a quality mid to high end xc 29er, do you think these guys will be able to fight for a share of the market?
    The big brands do have some brand loyalty and credibility to bank on should they decide to enter the 29"er market, no matter how many of these little operations pop up. Someone else kind of alluded to it when they said "how many of these steel, modular drop out bikes can we take?" They all start to blend together after awhile. But, enter Specialized, or a Cannondale into the equation and it's a different story, even if they should decide to do a steel, modular drop out bike. Some folks will buy it "just because" it's a Specialized, Cannondale, or whatever because they have always bought their bikes. Now they have a 29"er, so the loyal minions buy it instead of a WaltWorks, Wily, Inbred, or this Zion bike.

That said, Cannondale is looking at coming in with a Lefty equipped hardtail 29"er and if they do, how many people will buy it just for the Lefty alone? Plenty, I'll bet, and that's even if there are a million steel, modular drop out bikes available already. The point is that each company already has certain characteristics, that if they play on them just right, and develope a 29"er using those characteristics, then that company should have little problem moving a bunch of product.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Slightly off topic, but I still think it's a mistake for all of these companies to do modular dropout/EBB's. I think the majority of the 26er world looks at it and see's it as some sort of "weakness" (deserved or not) in a 29er design. Right now, and correct me if I'm wrong, if some one wants to run a "production" (i.e. affordable) geared only bike without a Mod.D.O./EBB configuration, there are only two choices, Fisher and Orbea. Those bikes are selling like hotcakes so obviously there is a market for it. Maybe Niner has something in store, but that's it.
    Everyone wants Trek to build an oclv frame but I bet my oldest son (he can be a loud at times so it'll be quite for a bit if I lose...lol) it wouldn't be Mod drop outs or ebb. And I also bet they'll be gone in a month. Same with Cannondale, Specialized, Giant and whoever. So why is every frame coming out now is the other way? Just my little weekly rant... Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0