Will My 26er Turn Into a Dust Pile?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,764

    Will My 26er Turn Into a Dust Pile?

    I am going to get a 29er single speed. Since getting my 26 inch single speed, my Turner 5-Spot has been gathering dust and has been used 3 times in 8 months. However, I just overhauled it and am excited about taking it out again on the more technical trails and using it more often. There are many trails out here in AZ that are perfect for the 5-Spot.

    My question is, after getting the 29er, will I ever want to ride my 26er FS geared bike again? How many of you have either dropped 26 all together or have kept a 26 and still use is enough to justify not selling it? I don't want to keep a bike I won't use, even though the 5-Spot is better for certain trails out here. If I get on the 5-Spot after riding the 29er straight for 6 months, will I want to puke because of its small wheels. Will I need to get a 29er FS? Yikes.
    I AM JUST A JERK

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    414

    Welcome to the fold

    I recently moved to CA, but lived in Phx for the last 22 years. 2.5 years ago I converted to SS then about 1 year later Scott at SMC talked me into trying out a 29er did and have never looked back! I do not own any 26er stuff for myself, just my wifes bike. I bought a KM frame and did a pretty cool parts pick on it with a WB fork. This bike feels like a 3" XC bike to me. I feel safer on it with the larger wheels and feel its the perfect platform for SS or any XC stuff. I would say your FS will go down to about 15-20% use and you may start considering a FS 29er! I am considering a HT geared 29er right now but will keep the SS. Give it a shot and I'll bet you will not look back!

  3. #3
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I am going to get a 29er single speed. Since getting my 26 inch single speed, my Turner 5-Spot has been gathering dust and has been used 3 times in 8 months. However, I just overhauled it and am excited about taking it out again on the more technical trails and using it more often. There are many trails out here in AZ that are perfect for the 5-Spot.

    My question is, after getting the 29er, will I ever want to ride my 26er FS geared bike again? How many of you have either dropped 26 all together or have kept a 26 and still use is enough to justify not selling it? I don't want to keep a bike I won't use, even though the 5-Spot is better for certain trails out here. If I get on the 5-Spot after riding the 29er straight for 6 months, will I want to puke because of its small wheels. Will I need to get a 29er FS? Yikes.
    ha ha ha.....

    Dirdir, you are following in FoShizzle's footsteps my friend, which is not a good thing.

    My story is almost spot-on (not pun intended).

    Started single speeding on a 26" SS almost a year ago. My awesome Ventana X5 just sat there and has probably also been used about 3 times in 8 months.

    I caution you in thinking you that an "overhaul" will make you ride it much more. Last September I overhauled it from the 6" by 6" travel bike to a 4 lb lighter 5" by 5" version (see pics) thinking it would make me want to ride it more cause it would climb better, etc....since October when the new and improved lighter X5 was created, I have used it in 1 24 hour race and maybe 2 rides since October!

    Part of that is becasue in addition to the single speed bug in general, I have since ordered 2 29er single speeds so the FS has even less chance of being used.....sort of funny, but an expensive funny.

    Keep me posted so i can laugh at you along the way

    and I just sold my Phil Wood single speed (frame, wheelset, and fork) and am in the process of replacing it with yet another 29er, leaving the X5 the only 26" bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 02-22-2006 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Changed "sold" to "only"

  4. #4
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,764
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    ha ha ha.....

    Dirdir, you are following in FoShizzle's footsteps my friend, which is not a good thing.

    My story is almost spot-on (not pun intended).

    Started single speeding on a 26" SS almost a year ago. My awesome Ventana X5 just sat there and has probably also been used about 3 times in 8 months.

    I caution you in thinking you that an "overhaul" will make you ride it much more. Last September I overhauled it from the 6" by 6" travel bike to a 4 lb lighter 5" by 5" version (see pics) thinking it would make me want to ride it more cause it would climb better, etc....since October when the new and improved lighter X5 was created, I have used it in 1 24 hour race and maybe 2 rides since October!

    Part of that is becasue in addition to the single speed bug in general, I have since ordered 2 29er single speeds so the FS has even less chance of being used.....sort of funny, but an expensive funny.

    Keep me posted so i can laugh at you along the way

    and I just sold my Phil Wood single speed (frame, wheelset, and fork) and am in the process of replacing it with yet another 29er, leaving the X5 the sold 26" bike.
    Yo Shizzle, if you think my previous situation is funny, get this - after reading your post I have decided to take up a new hobby and drop this whole biking deal. No biggie anyway. I am not really a mountain biker. I am an investor. I invest in $4,000 dust piles. Funny, eh? Having to buy new bikes to replace $4,000 dust piles just so to stay happy makes me utterly pathetic. So, I am now taking a poll - what new hobby should I invest in? Here is the short list:

    Golf
    Nascar
    Horse shoe tossing
    Speed skating
    TV



    Looks good for a dust pile, eh.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I AM JUST A JERK

  5. #5
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Looks good for a dust pile, eh.
    ha ha...

    yeah, it looks pretty good, except for that lame horst-link contraption

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: burner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    leaving the X5 the sold 26" bike.
    hmmmm.... a slip up or a foreshadowing typo?

  7. #7
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,764
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    ha ha...

    yeah, it looks pretty good, except for that lame horst-link contraption
    That topic belongs on the Turner board. I can see the post now - "Which dust pile has less jack - one with or without a horst-link?"

    As far as I am concerned, all dust is jack.
    I AM JUST A JERK

  8. #8
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    oh crap! how funny is that....i cannot believe that slip up. i am truly not planning on selling that bike.

  9. #9
    No Justice = No Peace
    Reputation: Lutarious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,512

    26, 29, Fs

    Okay, my story, in a nutshell...

    I had a great hard tail 26er. Santa Cruz built Bontrager. Man, what a bike! I loved it, but wanted more. I bought a really expensize Titanium soft tail Merlin with YBB, Man, what bike! I liked it, but never loved it, so I kept the hardtail too, but rarely rode it.
    Needed to clean the slate, so I sold the hard tail, made money, bought a 5 spot, but while the spot was being built, I got my old hardtail back.

    Single Speed is born! This is what the Bontrager was meant to do. Man, what a bike! I rode the Turner a lot last year, and it is truly incredible. A little heavy to my taste, but so smootha nd such a confidence builder. Man, what a bike! It was hard to decide which bike to take, the Turner or the Boontrager. Either way, the Merlin had to go, since the the 29er bug was in my head, and I knew it was going to be expensive.

    Now I have added the custom 29 inch SS and it is amazing. Man, what a bike! If I had to sell a bike, it would be the Bontrager, but I have so much time and love in that bike, I don't think I could ever let it go, and it is the least valuable of all of them, so the money would be that much less a prize.

    When I leave town on MTB vacations in the mountains or epic days around here, the FS feels like the right thing on some days. Downieville would not be the same on a hard tail. I still grab the 29er most days when I am out for an hour or two. I like the challenge riding single speed, its a pleasure riding 29er, and it fits me like my own skin.


    Maybe when I get old I can put a rohloff hub on it......
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

  10. #10
    Flight Junkie
    Reputation: IBIKEAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    832

    Go for it.

    Dirdir just go for it. What do we make money for anyway. I went with a SS 29er first (Moots). Now I added a FS 29er (Sycip). I think I now have the perfect combination. If you are going to just get one 29er for around Phoenix, I would recommend a soft tail. I think a soft tail 29er feels great on the trails around here. But a rigid SS and FS may be just the ticket. I am actually getting a rigid fork for the Moots now that I have a FS geared bike again. You will probably end up selling the Turner if you get a 29er. You tend to become dedicated to it. AZclyde (Steve) is getting one soon too. Good luck. Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ROTOR HEAD

  11. #11
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,948
    Short answer is Yes.
    Long answer is that I started SS on a Surly 1x1 in November 2004 and during that time my Santa Cruz Superlight sat there making sad eyes at me everytime I walked into the garage and put my bike gear on.
    In November 2005 my Ventana El Comandante arrived and as a result the 1x1 commenced keeping my Superlight company in guarding the garage while the El Com and I went out to play.
    Right at this moment both the Superlight AND the 1x1 are negotiating new homes.
    I have completely lost interest in both 26" bikes AND more importantly in gears.
    The El Comandante takes me everywhere I need to go and in many cases it takes me there faster than my geared riding buddies can get there (with the exception of those times when I spin out on downslopes).

  12. #12
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,768
    My story is very similar; Turner 5-Spot, to 26” Single Speed, to rigid SS 29er.

    I helped a family member move to Prescott, Az. last week so I only had room to take one bike and that was my One-9. I had more fun on Broken Arrow in Sedona than I ever had on my 5-Spot. I tell myself not to sell the Spot and use it on the technical stuff, but I end up riding the Niner. My Spot may not get used until do my yearly Mammoth/Tahoe trip this summer. ..and even then I am bringing the Niner.

  13. #13
    Reviewer/Tester
    Reputation: Rainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,176

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

    ................. Yes, it will.


    R.

  14. #14
    what a joke
    Reputation: ozlongboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,279
    When I find a FS 29er that I like I will sell my 5spot. Until then I will ride both bikes probably 70% SS 29er, 30% FS26er. The Spot will probably be the last 26er I buy.
    blah blah blah

  15. #15
    No Justice = No Peace
    Reputation: Lutarious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,512

    Prescott question

    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    My story is very similar; Turner 5-Spot, to 26” Single Speed, to rigid SS 29er.

    I helped a family member move to Prescott, Az. last week so I only had room to take one bike and that was my One-9. I had more fun on Broken Arrow in Sedona than I ever had on my 5-Spot. I tell myself not to sell the Spot and use it on the technical stuff, but I end up riding the Niner. My Spot may not get used until do my yearly Mammoth/Tahoe trip this summer. ..and even then I am bringing the Niner.

    OT, what do you know about rinding in Prescott? Looks like a great place to ride, but I only hear about Sedona. I spent some time in both places, but I have only ridden in Sedona and Flagstaff. Wondering why Prescott isn't a bigger deal....

    Thanks,
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigdrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,307
    I never rode my 5-Spot ever again after picking up a SS 29er. When I didn't feel bad about not riding my Spot after it sat for 3-4 months, I sold it and later picked up a FS 29er

  17. #17
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    I never rode my 5-Spot ever again after picking up a SS 29er. When I didn't feel bad about not riding my Spot after it sat for 3-4 months, I sold it and later picked up a FS 29er
    so dawg.....do you find yourself riding the 29er FS or SS more....or split time....just curious

  18. #18
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    OT, what do you know about rinding in Prescott? Looks like a great place to ride, but I only hear about Sedona. I spent some time in both places, but I have only ridden in Sedona and Flagstaff. Wondering why Prescott isn't a bigger deal....

    Thanks,
    I have ridden many trails in Prescott. The town of Prescott is at 5200 ft. so all the rides are at elevation. Lynx Lake area has miles and miles of sweet buff single track with moderate climbing, great beginner SSing. Granite Lake area is a little more tech than Lynx Lake, more rocks and a little stepper. Spruce Mountain is a tough ride; steep, rocky loop and I did a fair amount of hike a bike…next time I will bring gears. Thumb Butte Area has sweet single track mixed with tons of fireroads. Bark Beetle hit that area hard. I have not hooked up with the locals yet the area has mucho potential.

    Prescott is very livable and bike friendly, there are paved/dirt bikes trails and rail to trail rides linking the town to Prescott and Chino Valleys. Not as hot as the valley, so you can actually ride during the summer days.

  19. #19
    Large wheels & one gear
    Reputation: Konapdlr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    720
    Since it's story time. Kona Dawgmatic FS to a Surly 1x1 SS and now (Parts arriving daily) Soma Juice SS 29'r. I ride the 1x1 probably 90% of the time. From the time I have had on a 29'r which isn't much I have the feeling I will be wearing 29'r underwear!

    Funny thing....when you look at the pics, the dusty bike is the one that gets rode the most.
    Last edited by Konapdlr; 03-18-2006 at 10:58 PM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665

    5 spot versus 29er

    Some of you may have a hard time believing this story. I recently bought a Cobia - yep, all 780 bucks worth. I also have a Sugar 29er and a Mooto X SS. Wanted to have a HT geary in the stable. Have been pretty much all about 29ers for awhile. Have ownd a few nice 26ers FS and rigid in the past. 3 months ago, I had an opportunity to ride a 5 spot from a LBS that the owner had - a bike I'd ALWAYS wanted to try after all the rave reviews I'd read in the mags and elsewhere Would this be the one that would take me away from 29ers I wondered? I was willing to entertain the thought and pick one up if this was the case.

    After taking it to Estrella MTNs close by - a great trail. Pretty technical. I was suprised at the plushness. A nice ride for sure. Didn't love the slack head angle at first but it grew on me. Was spec'd pretty nice. BUT, in my opinion, even my lowly 780 dollar Cobia outhandles the 5 spot. It corners better, feels more predictable, has better traction and is more stable. I feel like I can ride faster on the Cobia without having the uneasy sensation that I'm going to wipe out. Climbs better. Not bad for a bike thats 3000 bucks less than the 5 spot. I'll keep it.

    This is a subjective comparison at best. Still blows my mind that I like the 29ers this much more. Even more that this inexpensive bike rides so well. Is it due to being used to 29ers after having ridden them exclusively for 2 yrs? Maybe, maybe not. Don't know, don't care, but I'm not planning to buy a kiddie wheeler again.

    my .02

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.