Wil I regret picking a frame a bit larger than I need?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Wil I regret picking a frame a bit larger than I need?

I just bought a GT karakoram 1.0 2011 (29er) for about 800 usd in my lbs. I live overseas so things are bit more expensive here.

Anyways I am about 184 cm tall (6.03 ft) and the lbs had only a few 2011 karakorams left, so they sold it significally cheaper than the 2012 version. I asked for a Large size frame, and the only one they had was XL.

At the moment I haven't felt much difference or misscomfort, but in general did I make a mistake?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well if it feels okay and your having fun riding it then your good to go. If not then yes you made a mistake.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    is XL too big for my size anyways?

Sweep the leg!
    It's the top tube or seat to bars measurement you should focus on
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You could probably get a shorter stem and adjust seat height to make it work. Honestly if it feels okay and you can have fun with it don't worry about it.

B.Ike
    By the time you realise that yes its too big it will be too late for a return. I always think a little smaller is better than a little bigger. my opinion

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What is your inseam,and why did you buy a bike from a shop that was willing to put you on the wrong size bike anyways.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stamzrat9 View Post
    I just bought a GT karakoram 1.0 2011 (29er) for about 800 usd in my lbs. I live overseas so things are bit more expensive here.

Anyways I am about 184 cm tall (6.03 ft) and the lbs had only a few 2011 karakorams left, so they sold it significally cheaper than the 2012 version. I asked for a Large size frame, and the only one they had was XL.

At the moment I haven't felt much difference or misscomfort, but in general did I make a mistake?
    I'm your height and I can ride a L or XL. It really depends on the brand of the maker because top tubes vary. I need a 24 inch or close top top, but everyone is different. I also have long arms. If you're happy with the bike then ride it. If you're worried, and you are, then think about it and decide if you want to return it. Just tell the bike shop it's too big. Get your cash back. You just have to make a decision soon. Take it out for a long ride and see what you think.

NedwannaB

Yes. No. maybe

Caffine power and mbogosia have it right. The shop should have/should be able to make sure your fit is good. If it were me, you should have them check 2 key things first:

If you feel a little stretched out, swap out a shorter stem (they should have plenty to work with and start with the length that would have come on a L model, or maybe 5-10mm shorter if there's a bit more steeper descents on your trail routes ), then adjust your seat hieght and fore/aft position. Shouldn't take them 15 minutes with you sitting on the bike.

The other thing to consider would be stand over clearence, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference in a jump spanning one size.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NINER Rip9 RDO(future...)
    Salsa Timberjack

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For me a little large is better than a little small.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I rode one of those bikes a few weeks ago. My nephew got it for Christmas. Anyway, his was a large and it seemed like medium to me. Seriously... I think those frames run small.

F!

ballbuster

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by mvi View Post
    For me a little large is better than a little small.
    I got a Performance Access 29er frame. The only ones they had left were 24.75" top tubes, and I run 24-24.5" on the rest of my bikes. So, figuring it was only a temporary frame until I save up enough cash for the 'good' frame, I went with it. I had to use a stem that was 10mm shorter than I usually run, but in the end it worked out great.

I've had bikes that were too short for me by the same margins, and I hated them. This, I actually kinda like.

So, I say a bit big is easier than a bit too small.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I find on 29ers I can go 2-3 sizes smaller than 26'. I used to ride 20'' 26ers and bought a 20'' Haro Mary 29er. They have bigger frames than most and I loved the bike but always felt it was a bit of a tank. Im now riding a 18'' Salsa Mamasita and 17'' Soma Juice. I like to throw a bike around a bit and the smaller frame makes it feel more lively for me. The Haro Mary was great for cruising around though.

sock puppet

In general, in my opinion - yes

I'd rather go size down, then size up, particularly on 29er.

I made the same mistake, for the same reason a few years back... I ends dup selling the bike and going back to required size... It felt great...

Sup
    I had a large epic 29er and sold it after one year because it was too big
    I got a medium stumpy fsr 29er that will replace it
    same geo as my other bike that I love to ride
    I did find out I hate short stems and long top tubes so not all was lost

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

sock puppet

You are almost at border line for XL

so although you should probably be good with L - the larger size MAY work out OK.

riding time will tell...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Take your bike to the shop and test ride it against a 2012 L. Spend as much time and ride the landscaped areas around the area.

cPr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This is all about you...A smaller bike would be better but if this is ok for YOU the YOU should be good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    big bikes are good. stable at speed. short stems are good. of course it all depends on what your preference is, but the way i see it, a big bike is good.

the half breed devil
    i didn't like riding a bike that was too small for me. i made the mistake of buying a 16" steel karokoram frame (center of bb to center of tt/s/t) way back in the day when i should have been riding a 17.5"-18.5". the smaller bike descended like hell compared to the 17.5" ibis alibi i built to replace it.

the 29'er i just got is a large (19") which some sizing charts tell i'm just tall enough (5'11) to be comfortable on. i find the combination of big wheels and a slightly larger than usual frame for myself to be very stable.

my $.02

--mb

mtbr member
    Geometry Chart

More than likely you can ride both. I am a little taller than you and have a "large" 29er I sometimes wonder what a XL would be like. I would have less seat post showing and no spacers under the stem if i rode a XL and a 20mm shorter stem than what was standard on the XL bike.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm 6'1 and have ridden two different size bikes.. L Niner (24.5 ETT) and a XL Niner (25.25 ETT). I am currently on the L and it definitely feels more flickable in the turns and on technical climbs. I definitely have to run a bit more seatpost and the stack is a bit higher than what I was riding when I was on the XL... The XL felt more comfortable on the double track fire roads and when just cruising around. The main thing is to to definitely go and get a proper fit done and you should be able to make either frame work for you... Pay attention to ETT and use that as a gauge for future bikes that you look at. So for me, I know I am good with a ETT range of 24.5 to about 25.3, with 25 being just about perfect... Everything else will just fall into place.

saddlemeat
    There are things a larger frame does better and things a smaller frame does better. You pays your money and takes your choice. I would chance the larger frame personally, hard to have a good standing climb on a smallish frame and less margin for error on descents, but I ride in the southwestern mountains. If you have a decent amount of seatpost showing just dial in the rest.

(a pic of your bike setup would get you better advice, btw)
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    If you're in between sizes, you could go either way. Personally I would go bigger. My last bike had a 24.5" ETT and was quite cramped. Playful, yes, but always couldn't wait to return to the car at the end of the ride lol, my current and new bike has a 26" ETT, running with a much shorter stem (50 vs 70/80) and from a test fit, it seems right on. Definitely sitting in the bike now instead of on top of it.

And the extra cockpit room will aid in climbing out of the saddle as it's only a 1x9.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    If you're in between sizes, you could go either way. Personally I would go bigger. My last bike had a 24.5" ETT and was quite cramped. Playful, yes, but always couldn't wait to return to the car at the end of the ride lol, my current and new bike has a 26" ETT, running with a much shorter stem (50 vs 70/80) and from a test fit, it seems right on. Definitely sitting in the bike now instead of on top of it.

And the extra cockpit room will aid in climbing out of the saddle as it's only a 1x9.
    26" ETT - How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 41ants View Post
    26" ETT - How tall are you?
    6'4"

It's the new 2012 Kona Honzo 29er. Slack HA (68), super steep SA at 74.5, so with an extended post, the ETT isn't as long as it would be on other AM hardtail 29ers.

Plus running it with a 50mm stem.

I had the 20" Honzo frame as well, 25" ETT, and with a 70/90mm stem and setback Thomson post, it felt awkward. The 20" Long with a 50mm stem and straight post feels spot on. And the guys from Kona said anyone 6'4" and taller should be on the 20L, even if you prefer a shorter bike. Guys around 6'1" are running the regular 20" frame.

My last bike (a 19.5" Large Transition TransAM) was on the small side and I always felt cramped on it, with a fully extended Thomson post (which I need), I never felt "as in on the bike" as I do now.

Plus the Kona Honzo is a cheap frame to try out sizing before I'm ready to drop $1200+ on the 2Souls QH frame in XXL which also has the same 26" ETT but smaller reach. It was the frame I was originally looking to purchase for this season, but XXL production is delayed at the moment, and their XL sizing was exactly the same as the TransAM I had before, ETT was slightly longer by only .5".

mtbr member
    Well in the normal thought process most would say yes, too big, but in my personal experience I have found that fit is a very personal thing. I have a guy who visits the island once a year, got a good deal on a Medium Giant Yukon and ended up running a 130mm stem on it. Well he comes down every year and when he stopped bringing his bike I put him on my XL Paradox with 685mm wide bars and 90mm stem and he loved it. He just likes a more stretched out feel, no matter he's only abuot 6ft, loves the XL fit and feel and the stuff he rode and cleared on the Paradox he'd never even have dreamed on the Yukon. What I'm trying to say is that most likely if the fit was optimum the XL would be too big, but in reality it's probably just a smidge too big and something that going to a shorter stem can fix, prob will make a very stable and confident descender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

HTFU and Ride
    It really depends on your proportions. I am close to 6'3" but I have short legs for my size. On most XL frames I have no stand over but the ETT is pretty close to where I want it. My XL Voodoo has never quite felt right and I am going to a L Ventana. Even if I have to run a slightly longer stem than I used to I think the standover will be worth it.

Gotta agree with the others, it is up to the bike shop to make sure the bike they sell you fits.
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    that Honzo is an awesome looking bike. no it's not a handbuilt elitist ride, but a killer design, great looks, to be driven hard and put away wet. my hats off to Kona for making the 20L, if i could justify another 29er, it would be this one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    that Honzo is an awesome looking bike. no it's not a handbuilt elitist ride, but a killer design, great looks, to be driven hard and put away wet. my hats off to Kona for making the 20L, if i could justify another 29er, it would be this one.
    Yup, and a great deal too if you buy frame only and build up. Plus it's a cheap test drive to see how I like long ETT with super short stems. Not losing too much here if won't like it lol.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    maybe

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Does anyone know the effective top tube lemf' for the new Karakorum in size XL??

The chart just shows the horizontal (25.26in).

Thanks!
    Friend me on FB!

www.facebook.com/RADeVries

Start slow and taper off
    Feb 2004
    My first "real" mountain bike (back in 1989) was two sizes too big for me, because I was a 17 year old kid and the bike shop just wanted to move the bike they had on the floor. I asked about needing something smaller and the salesman said "this is perfect. the bigger the better, you will be able to get over logs easier"

The size didn't bother me...until I rode a friend's bike (a year after I got mine) that actually fit me--then I realized how stretched out I was. I compensated with a MUCH shorter stem until I could sell that bike and buy a new one in a size that actually worked well for me.

So you probably won't mind the size at all, unless you ride someone's bike that fits you better.

So just don't do that
    My Artwork

Hard words break no bones, fine words butter no parsnips.

get down!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by HudsonValleyRog View Post
    Does anyone know the effective top tube lemf' for the new Karakorum in size XL??

The chart just shows the horizontal (25.26in).

Thanks!
    horizontal and effective are pretty much the same...actual is the one that follows the true top tube line (sloping).
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member

I did

I boought a full suspension frame a bit large because I was between sizes and I felt I could sell the larger size easier if it didn't work out. I had to run a 75mm stem and it worked for a very long time but over the last few years my back has been killing me on long climbs, it was suggested that the top tube was too long and finally I pulled the trigger on what would have been the smaller size in the earlier frame and after 5 rides I've had no hint of back pain. So far so good!

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Geometry Chart

More than likely you can ride both. I am a little taller than you and have a "large" 29er I sometimes wonder what a XL would be like. I would have less seat post showing and no spacers under the stem if i rode a XL and a 20mm shorter stem than what was standard on the XL bike.
    this...but prolly large size frame for you.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

Here, diagonally!
    I personally prefer a bike that is a little bigger. There are probably a ton of pros and cons for smaller and larger frames, but here are a few that come to mind.

The longer wheelbase on a bigger frame will help on steep decents (that's a big one for me), and on some climbs. The bike should be stiffer overall. As mentioned before, standing and pedaling should be easier. It's nice to have a little more distance from your hands to your hips when cranking out of the saddle.

Pluses for a smaller frame? On tight, single track, the smaller frame will manuver better. That alone can be huge. It will also be just slightly lighter. The front wheel will be easier to loft. It will be easier to intentionally move weight to the front or rear tire (like during fast corners, or climbing when traction is poor). Standover will be better on a smaller frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I use to ride a Med Spider 29er and it was ok. My LBS had a Lg Specialized frame was a hardtail, i got the frame for a good deal. Iam 5'9 and love the extra stability that a Lg gives me in the chunk. I just got a new Stumpy 29er Fsr and i got it in a Lg. I use a 90mm stem and could go down to an 80mm if i wanted too.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    I'm on 18" Kona Unit (2010) while I should be on a 16" (I'm 5'6"). I got the larger one purely for the longer wheelbase. My junk rubs on the top tube when standing over, and I can't do a good wheelie even if my life depended on it, but since it was gonna be my first rigid ss, I thought I could use longer wheelbase. I put 80mm stem on it and it shortened the cockpit to the 16" reach, and I'm thinking about going with 60mm next season (hopefully that will bring the improvement in wheelie department that I want).
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    I am 6'0" 32 inch inseam and I perform much worse on an XL vs a Large... Only way to tell is to ride a Large version of the same bike and you can compare... I personally would recommend against an XL frame for you... but really as others have said, its all about you...

TR
    Angry bunny
    Are you 6'3" or 6'.03"??

At 6'3" the XL is probably the right bike for you unless you like running a flagpole for a seatpost and a mile of drop to your bars.
    If you are 6'.03" then I would go large.

Then again I dont know anything about your morphology and you may have stupidly long arms or legs or torso, or upper legs, or lower legs or other reasons one will fit better than the other.

Members who have read this thread: 0