wide 29er tires or at least i think- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

wide 29er tires or at least i think

hey guys im just wondering if anyone knows of any tires bigger then the wtb weirwolf? I know there are those chopper tires that are like 26x 4.0 but im not really looking for. and tottal noob question aight i get it when a tire says 26x2.1 i get that it goes on a 26 inch rim but the 2.1 is my question is that the width od the tire face? or is it the height of the sidewall?

Formerly of Kent
    Racing Ralph 2.4 is bigger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twaters990
    hey guys im just wondering if anyone knows of any tires bigger then the wtb weirwolf? I know there are those chopper tires that are like 26x 4.0 but im not really looking for. and tottal noob question aight i get it when a tire says 26x2.1 i get that it goes on a 26 inch rim but the 2.1 is my question is that the width od the tire face? or is it the height of the sidewall?
    Yes, the second number is the width but every company "measures" their tires differently. Some measure the width across the knobs, some measure the casing, and some just make stuff up.

That WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 is really a 2.3 (I measured mine). Check this page for more info on tire sizes

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    With 29er tyres basically knock 10% of there claimed size, 10% taller so they lie, my Stout 2.3 is smaller than the 26" Race King 2.2 on the rear and thats a hardcore tyre

Tis the downside to 29er which will hopefully fingers crossed be resolved over the next 6months or so

Underskilled
    For big ones to look for,

weirwolf lt
    weirwolf - not yet released
    Kodiac - get direct from Niner, not sure if released
    Racing Ralph

Rider and Wrench
    I think boomn answered your general question but to add to it the rim width can affect the actual width on a specific tire as well. Some of the other posts listed some larger tires the Ardent 2.25 (soon a 2.4) and the Kenda Nevgals are a 2.2 but are true if not larger- According to Shiggy's data the current biggest is the Schwalbe Racing Ralph (it is big but has some durability issues since it is also very light) if you want to go silly wide look into the Surly stuff- but you will need a special rim, fork etc...
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Loved the volume on the WW Lt but horrible tyre to actually ride on the front, rear maybe, didn't like the 26 WW either so no thanks.

Kodiac is what I'm after, will they fit in 2 year old reba SL's is the question

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Specialized is listing the new Purgatory in a 29x2.4 size, not sure when they'll come out.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    Loved the volume on the WW Lt but horrible tyre to actually ride on the front, rear maybe, didn't like the 26 WW either so no thanks.
    I run the WW LT's and love them- Front and rear- especially on a rigid. They offer good traction on rocks/roots etc roll pretty well for a big tire and don't clog up because they are such a low and spread out tread- mud of course is not the purpose of them- although straight on they are ok but turning is another story. I did not love the 26" not "LT" or full tread version for my trails as they seemed too soft and squirly on any hardpack (maybe in the soft stuff I would have felt differently?). I would not mind seeing a smaller version to run in the rear but as they are I can't see myself running them as a rear only tire as I like the rear to be the same or smaller is size- even if they are not true 2.55's there is not a whole lot out there as big or bigger than the WW-

I guess like anything it really depends on what you use them for, the tire pressure, if you prefer speed over traction, how much time is spent on them etc....
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    According to shiggy (www.mtbtires.com) the Weirwolf LT is the second balooniest tire out there, coming in a close second behind the Racing Ralph. I ride them when it's not too slick because I like the cushy ride and easy rolling. Traction is not it's strong suit, though. For that I ride Rampages' which trade some cush for traction.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    The Racing Ralph is a tad larger, but suffers from really weak sidewalls.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Expert Crasher
    The WeirWolf is a pretty good tire for the right conditions. You'll find a lot of varying degrees of feeling towards the tire - but those that use it in the hardpack, semi-loose over hard, rocky and fairly dry conditions universally enjoy it. It doesn't do wet well, nor real loose.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Take a look at Bontrager's recent 29-3 front tire, and bigger, the FR-3's. You can see how both compare visually to the WeirWolf 2.55 on my blog page that discusses them. Scroll down about halfway to see a row of pics comparing those three. Since getting these Bontrager tires, I haven't had any interest in running the WeirWolf's. The Bonty's have better bite, and the 29-3's roll just as fast, and all have relatively comparable volumes.

mtbr member
    I looked at the Bonty when the Trek rep came by and was impressed with their construction. However, Bonty has always had weak sidewalls, especially for our area ( AZ ). I've torn so many sidewalls on Bonty products that I just don't use them anymore.

The WW is a larger volume tire than the FR 3 or 29-3. The Bonty gets it's size from knobs, not casing. Larger casing is what I'm looking for as larger knobs can roll at lower pressures. I tend to run 26 psi tubeless on Flows. Since I'm 190#, more volume is what I'm after, not taller knobs. Larger casings also deliver a smoother ride, in my humble opinion. Since I ride a HT, sometimes rigid, this is why the WW has been such a good tire. It has also lasted far longer than I ever thought it would. Traction wise, the WW is great for our rocky, sandy, loose over hard terrain. The key with the WW, as any tire, is getting the pressure dialed.

My .02.
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That is interesting to me. The WeirWolf 2.55LT doesn't have very beefy sidewalls at all, and the TLR Bonty's seem way more tough to me. Were the Bontragers you were running TLR? That may be a key difference. If were back in AZ riding, say Sedona or whatever, the WeirWolf I don't think would even make my list for consideration as it seems rather flimsy. But, the Bonty's, in particular these TLR models, would be very high on my list (honestly, I can't think of what else I'd rather run right now).

As a comparison, look at the tire pressures I've been running with the 29-3 and FR-3's - sub 13-18psi for front tires, and 18-22psi for the rears, and I'm 6'2", 180lbs, riding my Niner like it's a 6" travel bike (well, as much as I can anyway

I defintely agree that volume is great and provides a nicer ride. That was basically the only reason I ran the WeirWolf's before, purely for casing volume, because I think the tread doesn't work that well - doesn't grip nearly as well as some others (but I've never been a fan of the WeirWolf, even when I tried the full knob versions on 26" wheels).

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by headangle
    Take a look at Bontrager's recent 29-3 front tire, and bigger, the FR-3's. You can see how both compare visually to the WeirWolf 2.55 on my blog page that discusses them. Scroll down about halfway to see a row of pics comparing those three. Since getting these Bontrager tires, I haven't had any interest in running the WeirWolf's. The Bonty's have better bite, and the 29-3's roll just as fast, and all have relatively comparable volumes.
    I have the FR3 and am picking up my 29-3 TLR for the back of the bike today. While I picked up 2 of the FR3s, after weighing em realized that while i dont care too much about weight, it did cross even my threshold to run em front and rear

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy
    I looked at the Bonty when the Trek rep came by and was impressed with their construction. However, Bonty has always had weak sidewalls, especially for our area ( AZ ). I've torn so many sidewalls on Bonty products that I just don't use them anymore.

The WW is a larger volume tire than the FR 3 or 29-3. The Bonty gets it's size from knobs, not casing. Larger casing is what I'm looking for as larger knobs can roll at lower pressures. I tend to run 26 psi tubeless on Flows. Since I'm 190#, more volume is what I'm after, not taller knobs. Larger casings also deliver a smoother ride, in my humble opinion. Since I ride a HT, sometimes rigid, this is why the WW has been such a good tire. It has also lasted far longer than I ever thought it would. Traction wise, the WW is great for our rocky, sandy, loose over hard terrain. The key with the WW, as any tire, is getting the pressure dialed.

My .02.
    the freaking FR-3 sidewall anyway is monster...as headangle notes, the TLR makes a difference for sure.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the sidewalls on the WW don't seem too stout, but thy seem to hold up well. On the XDX I ran, one was in Nov - Dec and not TLR, the next was their improved ARC casing. A friend and I went through 3 of these tires in one month. No big hits, just normal AZ Xc riding. I haven't tried the TLR because I got tired of ripping sidewalls. The tread on these tires is great for our riding conditions, the sidewalls just weren't up to it.

On the WW, I've never had an issue where I didn't have enough grip or cornering / turning traction. I'm confident laying these things over fairly hard at speed. I don't use them in heavy mud, but in light mud, like northern AZ, they're ok.
    you're lucky enough.

Underskilled
    The point above was spot on

Rim width increase a tyre size more than a larger tyre.

2.1" on a 47mm rim is much larger than a 2.35" 27mm, lighter too even taking into account rim weight.

mtbr member
    Correct, rim width is key. The Flow is a good rim, as well as the Bonty Rythm and Big Earl.

I'm mounting a 3.0 Gazzaloddi on an Alex rim that's 39mm wide for my rigid 29er. This will definitely spread the tire out.
    you're lucky enough.

Formerly of Kent
    Rim design is pretty damn important as well.

A NoTubes rim vs. another, traditional bead hook design of the same width gains you appreciable tire volume.

Members who have read this thread: 0