Whyte 629- Mtbr.com

Thread: Whyte 629

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Whyte 629

Hi, I'm new to the forum, so I'll start with a review of my latest bike, the Whyte 626.

Originally, I wanted the 729 as I wanted a bike I didn't have to worry about upgrading. I ordered a Medium thinking it would be OK for my 5'8", but to my surprise was massive. Checking stock, the LBS couldn't get a small, so I tried the 629 they had in the shop. I immediately liked this bike. Loved the SRAM shifters and lightness of the bike. It just felt right.

Having ridden it a number of times now, I have the following comments:
    1. The Avid Elixir 1 brakes are rubbish. They took a while to set up, but the lever nearly touches the bar when fully applied and retardation is poor. I'm thinking Shimano SLX.
    2. The Maxxis Icon tyres are light and work fine in dry conditions, but the front end is too loose in the wet. I'm thinking Maxxis Ardent for the front. Had these before and loved them.
    3. The cables rattle around the front. I've had to apply spongy tape in places to cure it. I think some of the cables are too long.
    4. The grips are a little skinny and make my hands numb. Maybe I'm holding on too tight!

Looks great, love the way the 29er rolls, great build quality, comfortable and handles great.

Cant make my mind up about the XC32 forks. I really wanted the Reba on the 729, but I can't justify the 300 to change. Can't see I'd get vfm.

I haven't seen many Whyte reviews, so I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    SLX are the right brakes. RockShox has a number of coil spring kits for the XC32 fork if you don't have the air version. Make sure you have the right one for your riding weight.
    The dual air 2012 or older Reba is the one you want, not the dumbed down solo air 2013. Manitou Tower Pro is another good option.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I got a 929 after demoing a 729, was extremely impressed by the 729 but felt I might want a bit 'more'. Wasn't disappointed with my choice and would have happily got a 729 if I hadn't gotten my 1st choice. I'm surprised you found the sizing weird, as I found the large 729 fine being 6'2", though I thought the stand over was lacking. Went for a size down on the 929, but the geo's quite different.
    I'd suggest that though the avid's aren't going to be fabulous, they may be helped with a bleed, as they don't sound quite right. Love the XT's on mine, so SLX would be a good choice if you can't live with the avid's.
    The 929 came with an ardent on the front, & I'd happily recommend them, was surprised how well the Icon's work in the wet, though I will get a proper mud tyre for this winter
    Can't help with the cable lengths but some zip ties may help stop them rattling around too much, shortening the brakes wouldn't be too much of an issue if you do bleed them, and you may get away with chopping off the crimped bits (they won't re-thread through the outers with those crimped bits) when you do shorten the outers, at worst new inner cables are cheap.
    Totally agree on the 'whyte' grips front, swapped to ODI Rogues myself

I wouldn't expect the XC32's to be fantastic as they a base(ish) model & quite heavy but at least are a 32mm stanchion. The Reba's are a great forks (well the 26er's I've owned we're), & you can always get a little cash back by selling the XC32's

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for all the advice. The XC32's are the air version.