mtbr member

Why is the Evil Wreckoning price so much lower than the Trek Slash or the Enduro 29er

Hi all,

Hope you're all having a great holiday! I've been doing a lot of reading, just got a subscription to mtbr mag, and trying to determine my next mtb.

I've read nothing but great things about the Evil Wreckoning. Seems like a killer bike for the price. When I compare it to the Trek or the Specialized Enduro 29'er, I'm confused why the Evil appears to be so much cheaper. From the Evil site, it seems like the bike is $4500, which is about half the cost of the E29er or Trek. I'm 5.9", about 170 lbs, 47 and in pretty good shape. Want to work up to doing the santa cruz flow trails in NorCal.

What gives about the pricing of the Evil? It seems like all the comparisons put these three bikes head to head, but I'm a bit confused why the cost is so wildly different.

At the moment, I have a trek slash 9.8 (2015 model), and a yet 4.5c either or both will be replaced by one of the bikes above. I love going fast, but don't have the skills at this point for much of what I see on youtube (gnarly jumps and super-steep descents).

So, two questions - what gives on the pricing of the Evil?
    Where can I go and learn how to become a much better rider that can descend with confidence without killing myself?

Thx all,

Chib

mtbr member
    $4500 is half the cost of the slash?

You'll have to link up what you're comparing.

Trek is gonna cost more by virtue of being as big as they are. Lots of overhead, actual brick and mortar stores, lifetime warranties, huge distribution network, etc.

SS Pusher Man
    Let's see.....

Evil Wreckoning GX Eagle $5363.99
    Trek Slash 9.8 (GX Eagle) $5499.99

Evil also has a handful of upgrades that can add $$$
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiburi View Post
    From the Evil site, it seems like the bike is $4500, which is about half the cost of the E29er or Trek
    The MSRP of the Wreckoning is $5299 for the GX build or $6899 for the XO1 build, before any upgrades are applied.

If there's a shop selling a new one for $4500 then that's a good deal.

Elitest thrill junkie
    They don't have to pay as many lawyers?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    They don't have to pay as many lawyers?
    No but they had a to pay a shit load out in replacement DH frames.

I wonder if they're still making repayment on that shipping crate full of paper weights.

mtbr member
    My bad, was thinking the RSL from Trek. Weird though, when I went to the evil site to build the bike it was $4500. Was in a rush so maybe itís not a complete build, LOL I want one with a Kashima coated fork, but didnít see that as an option on the site. Iíll have to redo it and go a bit slower!

Demon Cleaner
    You'll have to go custom if you want a Wreckoning with Fox. The frame price is competitive though so if you do go custom you can get it built the way you like. I paid about the same for my build as for a Specialized Enduro Pro. Pretty comparable except I was able to go Push 11-6 and Fox Performance Elite fork on my Wreckoning.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Want to work up to doing the santa cruz flow trails in NorCal.

Chib
    I'd argue that your Yeti 4.5 is more than capable for any NorCal trails.

mtbr member
    I bit the bullet and ordered a custom wreckoning with XXT in blue. Can't wait...

mtbr member
    I bit the bullet and ordered a custom wreckoning with XXT in blue. Can't wait...
    Way to share your excitement by posting a picture for us to enjoy.

mtbr member
    Not built yet or I would maybe done by Monday next week. From a shop in the PNW.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by eonicks View Post
    I'd argue that your Yeti 4.5 is more than capable for any NorCal trails.
    "more than capable"=holding on for dear life for some trails. Although it might be a little extra weight at times, I enjoy the downhills the most, so rather than have the bike that allows me to ride the downhills "fighting the bike" the entire way down, I'd rather have one that makes them enjoyable. Yeti 4.5 is a good bike, probably great for most people and most trails, but if you are doing more black-diamond stuff, yeah, it'll do it, but you'll have more fun with something like a wreckoning, etc. At the end of the day, I want to enjoy my ride.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    "more than capable"=holding on for dear life for some trails. Although it might be a little extra weight at times, I enjoy the downhills the most, so rather than have the bike that allows me to ride the downhills "fighting the bike" the entire way down, I'd rather have one that makes them enjoyable. Yeti 4.5 is a good bike, probably great for most people and most trails, but if you are doing more black-diamond stuff, yeah, it'll do it, but you'll have more fun with something like a wreckoning, etc. At the end of the day, I want to enjoy my ride.
    I couldn't agree more.

I get to ride a lot of different bikes on familiar trails and while travel may not tell the whole story, it can make quite a difference in how comfortable and confidently you ride gnarly trails. Don't listen to people who, for example, brag about being able to ride Dogbone or Boondocks (Northstar) on a hardtail therfore you will do just fine on one too. If you want to ride gnar then buy a bike suited for it.

mtbr member
    Alas, the bike is finally built!

Why is the Evil Wreckoning price so much lower than the Trek Slash or the Enduro 29er-wreckoning-es1.jpg

Why is the Evil Wreckoning price so much lower than the Trek Slash or the Enduro 29er-wreckoning-es2.jpg

Why is the Evil Wreckoning price so much lower than the Trek Slash or the Enduro 29er-wreckoning-es3.jpg

Why is the Evil Wreckoning price so much lower than the Trek Slash or the Enduro 29er-wreckoning-es4.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Sweet

mtbr member
    very, Very, VERY NICE!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Magazine worthy

mtbr member
    That Wreckoning is definitely not a $4500 build. Very nice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Very nice ride!