Why?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Why?

Dec 2003

Why?

Why do my newish continental tires say 28 x 2.1 and fit on my 29'r wheels, but look more like 1.9's?

Recovering couch patato
    28" and 29" share the same rim specs, 622/700c or whatever people chose to call it.
    The 28" denomination, that's a German thing. They chose to follow their beliefs and traditions over acknowledging (sp?) the new standard.
    Same goes for the width they put on the tire. Germans and French often like to measure their tires laid flat out, between two randomly chosen point on the carcass. Takes away all the relation between size printed on the sidewall and it's size when actually inflated on the rim. It's an indistrial thing they like to hold on to, continiously disappointing riders that order a 2.1" because they want something that feels big. 2,1" as in, over 2", thus wider than average.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Beer it does a body good!

Wink Say it ain't so

Quote Originally Posted by LakeRaven
    Why do my newish continental tires say 28 x 2.1 and fit on my 29'r wheels, but look more like 1.9's?
    Gary,

First single speed, now 29 (or in this case 28). Whats next ridgid?

Greg
    I never met a cyclist, that I could not learn from!

Big G
    Winner of the Gnome Fest Quattro Home brew contest

Schipperkes are cool.
    They screwed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeRaven
    What Cloxxki said. The "28" designation is because they refuse to recognize the "29" designation that is now in widespread use. 700c, 28", and 29" all use the same bead seat diameter, so don't worry about that part.

As far as being labeled 2.1 and turning out to be more 1.9, well that's just Continental being Continental. Every Conti tire I have owned - 700c, 26" and 28/29" - was substantially narrower than the stated width.

Recovering couch patato
    (imagine 'allo 'allo German accent here, for those that get Brittish humor on the tele)
    "You were just measuring the wrong points of the tire, while inflated. What were you thinking?"
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Members who have read this thread: 0