Who would like an Ibis 4" 29er- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: Are you into a 29er Carbon Mojo?

Voters
89. This poll is closed
  • Yes

58 65.17%
  • Maybe

16 17.98%
  • no

15 16.85%
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Who would like an Ibis 4" 29er

A year ago, just after iBike I asked Scot at Ibis if there were plans to produce a Mojo 29er the answer was
    "Nope, sorry. No 29er Mojo coming up..."
    So I email him again two days ago and this was the answer
    "We have added your vote to the pile!"

This is a positive poll....please show your interest. Frame somewhere between 5 and 6lbs
    Travel 4", to be ridden with 4" forks for racing and 5 to 5.5 for trail.

BTW.......the DW Sultan is hot! No better 5" 29er FS IMHO.
    Last edited by kidsuma; 09-19-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Clarification

mtbr member
    Very few:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=540819 but you have my vote. I'd like 140mm mojo carbon 29er with HD version 160mm with fox 36.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    I see what you did there with the options in your poll.

mtbr member
    Well, if the overall linkage and rear triangle area can be made stiffer, you may have a winner even though I'd prefer Aluminum even with a weight penalty of up to 1 lb. It has to be stiffer than the 26er Mojo before I will buy it so it cannot simply be a longer version with the same linkages and design.

The curve/rate used by the Mojo may be quite different (more linear) that others. I liked the way the Mojo rode but I also like the way the Spot rides. I don't particulary like the Mach 5 ride. Maybe Hans or _dw can explain the differences in leverage curves and rates and how they affect the suspension characteristics and resulting ride.
    Last edited by BlueMountain; 09-14-2009 at 01:42 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    lets get this clear...this is not a poll for a 140mm frame......the HD covers that base....this is for a 4" bike...super hardtail feel....endurance.....all day XC, riding till your completely f+++ed kind of thing.....

mtbr member
    Why not for 140mm 29er? I'd like one in carbon. I hope you support option even though you don't feel like riding one. 100mm fs or just HT just because it is 29er? There exist an opinion that 29er cannot be long travel as it's overkill even if the naysayers had nothing to do with longer travel 29ers.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oh no DC ...dont high jack this thread....but there again....hang around..... if Santa Cruz capitulated to your crazy talk then why not Ibis

mtbr member
    I'd be up for the 100mm, (or 90mm), but NOT a 140mm version.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that this poll won't have very many NO votes

mtbr member
    @grrrah so you wouldn't like to see people having fun on 140mm version? If I like 140mm in 26" then switching to 29er I am boud to lose 40mm (as penalty) of travel just because people don't get the image of big wheels and big travel together?
    Let's be fair you get the 70-90mm version and the other AM guys get the 140mm and we shall both be happy, agreed?

It's funny that those persons who ventured and tried the 29" wheel now poo-poo longer travel.

There will always be naysayers whenever there is a new idea. These people remind me of roadies back in the day who said mountain bikes are stupid, XC racers who said suspension bikes and downhill riding was stupid, and skiers who said snowboards were stupid- until they tried one, and gave up skiing. If the naysayers ruled the world, bicycles would certainly not exist, and we would all still be living in caves, afraid to go out into the world and try something new.

mtbr member
    First, SC had the 29er requests from dozens of calls and emails, though DC was a bit more stalkerish than most so they thought it would be cool to bring up his name. They do regret it now.

kidsuma- I'm with you but would like 4 and no more than 5 for trail but I think you're looking for an endurance 29er. I'd rather have a nimble and fast 29er if I have a choice and past 5, they simply are all trail and heavy. For an endurance 29er (like in the 29er forum poll) give me 4" of travel.

mtbr member
    I just wish Pivot would slim down the 429 frame.

Pivot already has a super stiff and a fast handling four inch travel frame but for most people it is a bit heavy. I've put off buying one this year hoping they slim that thing down for next year.

I've ridden the 26" version of the Mojo and as much as that thing flexes I would never spend the money on a Ibis product. Sure it is light but the frame is WAY to much flex in the rear end.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Blue M...I think we are after the same thing..."nimble and fast 29er" I simple want the feel of a 29er hardtail with some suspension.The DW Mojo in a 26 had it, but the V2 Sultan feels more like a V1 Spot ....Great if thats what you want

Am Oct Lightened up 429 does sound sweet, Ive yet to demo one.......funny I never found the flex a problem on the Mojo...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    @grrrah so you wouldn't like to see people having fun on 140mm version? If I like 140mm in 26" then switching to 29er I am boud to lose 40mm (as penalty) of travel just because people don't get the image of big wheels and big travel together?
    Let's be fair you get the 70-90mm version and the other AM guys get the 140mm and we shall both be happy, agreed?

It's funny that those persons who ventured and tried the 29" wheel now poo-poo longer travel.

There will always be naysayers whenever there is a new idea. These people remind me of roadies back in the day who said mountain bikes are stupid, XC racers who said suspension bikes and downhill riding was stupid, and skiers who said snowboards were stupid- until they tried one, and gave up skiing. If the naysayers ruled the world, bicycles would certainly not exist, and we would all still be living in caves, afraid to go out into the world and try something new.
    I didn't poo poo it, I just said its not my preference. All for more bike choices, but I was just saying I want a 90-100mm travel 29er. Ive ridden/tested plenty of FS 29ers, and I can appreciate the benefits and weeknesses of both. If 80% of my bikes are 29ers, I think its safe to say I'm a 29er fan. But I just sold my 120mm travel FS 29er in favor of my 180mm travel 26" bike. I guess its 75% 29er now.

Basically, I'd rather have a 180mm 26" bike than a 140mm 29" bike. But i'd also rather have a 100mm 29er than a 140mm 26" bike. Rim, tire and fork choices have a lot to do with it, but they aren't the only things that make me feel this way.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that this poll won't have very many NO votes
    No option for a "No" vote so the poll is a little biased.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would say the Pivot Mach 429 is a Mojo 29er. I don't know why people think the Pivots are so heavy. I weighed my Pivot frame with headset cups, front derailleur and press-fit BB and it was 7 lbs. After I stripped my RIP 9, I weighed it, with King headset and front derailleur. It was almost 7.5 lbs. So what I'm saying compare apples to apples.
    For me the 429 has no flex and is a solid ride. The perfect bike for endurance races and all-around riding.
    Ride it, donít write about it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I'm in on a Mojo 29er if...

it has a different approach than the current Mojo. I own a Mojo SL, and it is a great bike, but a little too "all mountain" for racing purposes. Here is what I would like to see with a Mojo 29er:

1. 100 mm rear travel, with a firmer midstroke than the current (very plush) Mojo
    2. Geometry optimized for 100-120 mm forks
    3. "Longer" geometry than current Mojo: I'd like to see 24.5" top tube and 19"-19.5" seat tube on a large
    4. Low BB, 13" or under
    5. Frame weight 5-5.5 lbs
    6. Better cable routing than current Mojo, and low standover: 30" or under on a large
    7. Inset headset instead of integrated-there are some issues with the integrateds: cracking sounds.
    8. Able to mount a traditional placed water bottle cage, I really miss this on my Mojo SL.

My wish list is for a lightweight, efficient, 29er, that makes a great XC bike and endurance racer.

flow where ever you go
    I vote "NO" or "No thank you".

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yes, max 110-120mm (with frame weight about 4.5 lbs) currently love my 650b Mojo but it only goes out when the going gets extremly rough. 650b convinced me to try 29er even at 5'9" tall. Now most of my time is on a hardtail 29er.
    It has been said Ibis is very close minded about 29ers similar to Yeti. That is okay for them, plenty of room for someone else to get that market share.
    Too bad though for us Moj lovers, the balance and overall feel ( if they spent as much time designing it as they did the Moj ) would be superb and they could give Fish and SC with their new full carbon fs 29ers a run for their money. Yawn.
    BB Height is fine on Ibis Mojo 650b.
    Last edited by glovemtb; 09-15-2009 at 05:37 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My apologise for the lack of "no" poll.. . I wanted to see what POSITIVE feedback there is for an Ibis 4" Carbon 29er. It seems the idea gets many a 26" rider to "spit the dummy". BTW Im just off to ride...on a 26er

Barrows, I second your wish list .....except for going under a 13" BB
    1. 100 mm rear travel, with a firmer midstroke than the current (very plush) Mojo
    2. Geometry optimized for 100-120 mm forks
    3. "Longer" geometry than current Mojo: I'd like to see 24.5" top tube and 19"-19.5" seat tube on a large
    4. Low BB, 13" or under
    5. Frame weight 5-5.5 lbs
    6. Better cable routing than current Mojo, and low standover: 30" or under on a large
    7. Inset headset instead of integrated-there are some issues with the integrateds: cracking sounds.
    8. Able to mount a traditional placed water bottle cage, I really miss this on my Mojo SL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    I didn't poo poo it, I just said its not my preference. All for more bike choices, but I was just saying I want a 90-100mm travel 29er.
    As easy as it gets in 26er realm they have Mojo 100 and Mojo 140 and now 160mm. I see nothing wrong seeing these very options with 29er wheels. Yes even 160mm Mojo HD 29er..
    But I just sold my 120mm travel FS 29er in favor of my 180mm travel 26" bike. I guess its 75% 29er now.
    Would you like to try MC's Lenz toy 175 of travel?

Basically, I'd rather have a 180mm 26" bike than a 140mm 29" bike.
    And I'd rather have carbon mojo 140mm 29er than FR 180mm 26er, which is useless for someone who doesn't like airborne FR.
    My feeling is not constraint by fork options, tyres etc. They are just the outcome of demand. If big wigs get tons of emails today they'll have something longer in the autumn. I'm looking into the future more than today and see a place for a AM 29er for someone who like gnarly stuff.

The history repeats itself first in 80-ties 80-100mm fork on 26er was considered the utmost DH device, then derailleur, suspension, disc brakes and now 29ers are at the brink of accepting FS short travel and longer travel is considered useless with big wheels, because if somebody wants more travel they are redirected to 26ers as 29ers will suck- and it is claimed even by 29er owners and often they happen to ride rigid SS or at most HT. and at the same time they own a FR 26er. It's hard to be surprised.

Conclusion: Let's support the whole spectrum of travel from 80mm XC to 203mm DH in 29ers. Remember yous guys don't have to ride those long travel 29ers but let them be built.

mtbr member
    I vote yes as long as they don't call it a Mojo 29er, its a new company so they need to come up with new names, Stop using the name MOJO since all mojo's in my opinion should be steel hardtails. Thats my only real gripe with the mojo
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    If Ibis is going to make a 29'er anything, it would be cool if they'd make, or made, the Tranny in a 29er.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    why have a poll with no option other than to agree?
    it's not a poll if the options are a resounding yes and a probably yes.

my answer's no.
    don't want one, don't need one, not what I got into 29ers for.
    I got into 29ers because to me they represented a logical progression of the single speeder.
    larger wheels=more momentum=easier SS ride!

I wouldn't buy a 26er mojo, I won't buy a 29er either.
    29er version of their tranny? well, now we're talking!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsuma
    My apologise for the lack of "no" poll.. . I wanted to see what POSITIVE feedback there is for an Ibis 4" Carbon 29er. It seems the idea gets many a 26" rider to "spit the dummy".
    I'm not spitting the dummy, I was just saying...and FTR I'd like to see a Tranny 29'er, they could call it the "Big Tranny"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    my answer's no.
    don't want one, don't need one,
    Well, don't buy it, done, but vote yes so that others can enjoy their mojo short or long tavel while you'll be enjoying tranny.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I just wish Pivot would slim down the 429 frame
    Not me. I like the fact that this is a tough frame. I was rockin in Tennessee yesterday and the Pivot handled the rocks and roots with ease and is efficient enough for the faster, but still rooty midwest trails. I've broken too many frames. For myself, lighter means more fragile. I also didn't have issue with many pedal strikes in the rocks and the ride was plush once I adjusted the rebound with one click for the more tech trails. For me, Pivot hit a home run. That being said, I may not turn down a carbon frame as long as such things as rock strikes on the down tube and slow tumbles over large rocks don't cause impact damage.

Why isnt there an option for NO.

IBIS already makes a 29er

mtbr member
    May 2006
    One speed, I did try to edit the poll preferences after posting but couldn't see an option to do this.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Some God like moderator must have heard me!...We have a "no" option!

mtbr member
    Ok gals&guys. If you really want what you are touting then go ahead ---->> [email protected] inform them that you desire and deserve it.
    Last edited by Davidcopperfield; 09-19-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0