Who was late to the party and why? I need help.- Mtbr.com
    Category Winner

Who was late to the party and why? I need help.

So I'm writing something, and I need some help.

Think back to a time when the big companies said they weren't going to make a 29'er.

Now go forward in time to when they released their first 29'er and announced VIA press releases and whatnot why they hadn't come out with one before now.

Stuff like:

“The fork/wheel/tire/component technology wasn’t quite where we needed it to be yet,”

or

“We wanted to be able to perfect the geometry in order to produce a 29’er that rides like a 26’er.”

Backpedaling, spin-type comments that were little more than an effort to save face and not admit that maybe they were wrong about the whole "29'er fad."

I tried googling, asking a few pundits, and even inquired on facebook. Nothing solid. I'm not looking for names of companies. Just the spew. I'm not writing a scathing expose.... just having some fun.

TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ask GT. he might have some older articles from 29inches.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Search for threads about the Yeti big top. I think there was a thread about it that had the "we're never making a 29er" quotes.

mtbr member
    I remember Mike Sinyard/Specialized saying they were not going to make 29ers due to heavier/weaker wheels not making sense for MTB (they did have the crosstrail at the time)

Off the top of my head other companies that flat out said they would not do a 29 that came around

Santa Cruz
    Yeti
    Ibis

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeti comes to mind immediately. They were against 29ers, but the "story" on the website's description goes the designers went all black ops and built one for their own use. The heads got wind, liked it, and tweaked it for production.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

Category Winner
    I know some of that history. I'm looking for what they all had to say when they finally jumped on board. I asked GT already as well.

I'm starting to think whatever they said (collectively) flew under a lot of people's radars. Instead of paying attention, we were busy pointing fingers and saying " You said you'd never...."
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I doubt there was ever an official statement but for many years Magura's reason for no 29er fork was there was not a market. Now they are releasing 29er and 650B models.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4 View Post
    Ask GT. he might have some older articles from 29inches.

I gave Dicky all the spew marketing companies put out against 29"ers in an e-mail, but he said he wasn't looking for that.

Essentially, you would get most people to say privately that "the market is too niche", or that it was only "hot in the Mid-West", or things to that nature. Boiled down to a simple phrase: "there's no money in them thar big wheelers".

Until Fisher/Trek started running out of 29"ers to sell in 2005, that is. That's when more companies started to take a closer look.

So, you can dredge up all the excuses ya want, but it was about money, and that there really was a market for the 29"ers waiting to be tapped. When some companies finally figured it out, they felt they "missed the boat".

Thus the mass jumping on to the 27.5"er bandwagon coming in 2013.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRider08 View Post
    Yeti comes to mind immediately. They were against 29ers, but the "story" on the website's description goes the designers went all black ops and built one for their own use. The heads got wind, liked it, and tweaked it for production.
    This is funny. I bumped into Chris (yeti founder) about 4 years ago at a bike shop in Colorado and asked him when they were going to make a 29er. He said, Yeti builds bikes for racing (downhill, x-country, enduro, etc.) and 29ers will never be legitimate race bikes.................... After the Bigtop and SB95 I'd say he changed his mind................

mtbr member
    Mavic and just read their current spew.

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Yup. And in order for them to gain a good foothold in the rapidly growing 650b market, they cant take the "wait and see" approach.
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post

So, you can dredge up all the excuses ya want, but it was about money, and that there really was a market for the 29"ers waiting to be tapped. When some companies finally figured it out, they felt they "missed the boat".

This ^^^^^^

mtbr member
    I can't quote word for word, but IMHO Dave Turner was the most honest, said he'd never make a 29er, then when he said he was going to honestly said it was because enough Turnerites had said they wanted it and he'd be stupid to ignore the $$ they were waving at him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I can't quote word for word, but IMHO Dave Turner was the most honest, said he'd never make a 29er, then when he said he was going to honestly said it was because enough Turnerites had said they wanted it and he'd be stupid to ignore the $$ they were waving at him.
    Pretty awesome that he was honest.

I also respect Yeti's approach. Although they said "never," they basically admitted they were wrong.

Oh well, the point of this thread may be lost. I can't find the excuses, and I guess nobody remembers them.

Thanks for playing.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Cassoulet forever !
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkbike2 View Post
    Mavic and just read their current spew.
    Mavic was one of the first big brands to support 29"ers with the C29ssmax.
    They released it before DTswiss, shimano, fulcrum and others...
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    Mavic was one of the first big brands to support 29"ers with the C29ssmax.
    They released it before DTswiss, shimano, fulcrum and others...
    Did they offer a UST rim before there were any UST 29'er tires?

mtbr member
    I was riding 29'ers before they were cool.
    :wq

tl1
    Bicyclist

They're cool?

Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    I was riding 29'ers before they were cool.
    When did this happen? I've been missing out on cool points.

Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    Did they offer a UST rim before there were any UST 29'er tires?
    Hutchinson released the UST-spec tubeless ready Python 29 at the same time.

Bontrager may have been doing UST-compatible TLR 29er tires and rims already.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The manufacturers follow trends, rarely set them, and make no excuses for doing so that I have ever seen. Same goes for the media and 99% of the posters on mtbr.
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

Team Velveeta™

Yeti got dragged kicking and screaming

Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    ...I also respect Yeti's approach. Although they said "never," they basically admitted they were wrong...
    Well, yeah, but they still snicker behind their hands a little.

Back in about '07 when I was working at a shop here in CO, the Yeti rep came in one day and we started bugging him about bigwheels. I told him that if they were to build a steel FRO looptail 29 they would kill with it. He said something like, "you know what we think about 29ers?" Then he made a little horn out of his hand and start tooting out this song

What did they call the first 29er they sold? Bigtop. Circus bike.
    Last edited by TomP; 04-25-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    I can't blame companies like Yeti for taking so long to make a 29er frame. The first years of 29er frames were race bikes only and handled like semi-trucks. The first suspension forks were terrible until 2008 when the Reba came along. Tires sucked until the Racing Ralph (or whatever tire you like). Full suspension designs took a long while as well.

You guys should be thanking companies for coming out with new products rather than reminding them that they "were late to the party". How about this analogy? The party was pretty dorky until the jocks brought the the hot chicks, DJs, and better beer.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Pretty awesome that he was honest.

I also respect Yeti's approach. Although they said "never," they basically admitted they were wrong.

Oh well, the point of this thread may be lost. I can't find the excuses, and I guess nobody remembers them.

Thanks for playing.
    Specialized was pretty vocal about waiting until they came up with a 29er geometry that they liked.
    Seem to remember "perfected" and similar words used.
    mtbtires.com

Team Velveeta™

try it before you slag on it

Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    ...You guys should be thanking companies for coming out with new products rather than reminding them that they "were late to the party". How about this analogy? The party was pretty dorky until the jocks brought the the hot chicks, DJs, and better beer.
    Well yeah, you are certainly correct about that.

I just still get a little chapped when I think about the industry people who would slag on them when they had never even thrown a leg over one. You could look at them and say "Have you tried one? You're about my height, let's go for a spin and trade bikes for a while." And they'd say something like, "No, I don't need to ride one to know they're lame."

Dogma.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    I can't blame companies like Yeti for taking so long to make a 29er frame. The first years of 29er frames were race bikes only and handled like semi-trucks. The first suspension forks were terrible until 2008 when the Reba came along. Tires sucked until the Racing Ralph (or whatever tire you like). Full suspension designs took a long while as well.

You guys should be thanking companies for coming out with new products rather than reminding them that they "were late to the party". How about this analogy? The party was pretty dorky until the jocks brought the the hot chicks, DJs, and better beer.
    Gary Fisher and company should get credit for bringing the 29er into mainstream. The early experiments that ended up with a good 29er geometry came out of Fisher's vision and perseverance. I believe the above analogy is flawed. More accurately, the geeks supplied the beer to the hot chicks at the party and the jocks came in after it was safe to reap the benefits of the geeks' hard work.

29ers have become the sales bread and butter of the bike industry. It's not difficult to see why nearly everyone has a version and why no one likes to remember their earlier disses.

mtbr member
    You can give Gary Fisher credit for sure. My analogy is still correct in that Gary Fishers bikes were pretty much the equivalent of Coors Light in a can. Weak, light, and made your stomach sick after too many of them.

Moderator Moderator
    Shiggy, good memory. Remember posting on this thread?
    Breaking 29er RUMOR : Specialized to release 29er bikeS (as in plural)
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    Shiggy, good memory. Remember posting on this thread?
    Breaking 29er RUMOR : Specialized to release 29er bikeS (as in plural)
    Barely, B. Too bad the link back to mtbr is broken
    mtbtires.com

Members who have read this thread: 0