White Brothers BW spring question...- Mtbr.com
    Recovering Weight Weenie

White Brothers BW spring question...

obviously, the BW is a solid fork..but does White Brothers offer heavy duty springs for it?
    I'm 240lbs and would definately, for sure, positively, need them.
    Anyone? Bueller?

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    obviously, the BW is a solid fork..but does White Brothers offer heavy duty springs for it?
    I'm 240lbs and would definately, for sure, positively, need them.
    Anyone? Bueller?
    If memory serves, last time I was talking to WB (~2-3 months ago), they said that all the new '04 BW 1.0's come stock with the heavy spring, and that a person would have to request a lighter spring if they want anything different.

The 8 million dollar question is what is the max weight range for your weight, and what are the idea settings for the fork to perform with your impressive girth upon it?

I'm closing in on your weight and I'm going to be on a BW .8. Naturally I hope to lose some weight, hum, where is my slimfast?
    FS: Everything

Recovering Weight Weenie
    That makes me feel better.. but I'm still worried... will you keep the fork long enought to get a good impression? =)

Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    If memory serves, last time I was talking to WB (~2-3 months ago), they said that all the new '04 BW 1.0's come stock with the heavy spring, and that a person would have to request a lighter spring if they want anything different.
    The 8 million dollar question is what is the max weight range for your weight, and what are the idea settings for the fork to perform with your impressive girth upon it?
    I'm closing in on your weight and I'm going to be on a BW .8. Naturally I hope to lose some weight, hum, where is my slimfast?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ncj01 is correct. The BW 1.0 currently comes stock with a stiff spring that will just work with your weight as long as you use the compression damping correctly. However, for '05 we will be switching the BW 1.0 to an air fork as well. Why? Because our air systems will easily handle that weight, they feel better, and they give you many more tuning options. We will perform the upgrade for those with existing BW 1.0's for a minimal fee.

The other two new forks will be 20mm dropouts on both the BW .8 and BW 1.0. You will be able to buy both fork platforms in either standard QR or with 20mm. We are toying with the idea of a 5" travel fork as well, but I'm not sure the rest of the world is ready for it (tires/rims). Give me feedback. If nothing else we may be able to offer it as an option, special makeup.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Whoa!
    Really?
    #1 I'd be VERY afraid of turning the obviously solid/tried/true BW platform to an air fork. If you're interested in why.. please drop me a quick email at padre AT singlespeed DOT net
    #2 For the SS 29er, I think the q/r axles will be better for me as far as weight goes
    #3 5" fork?!!?!? Sweet!!! I'd love to have a 5" 29er fork mated to a burly hardtail frame! Lace up some 36hole rynolite rims and I think we'd be ready to rock! I'm stoked you guys are pushing the envelope here!

Quote Originally Posted by rossixc
    Ncj01 is correct. The BW 1.0 currently comes stock with a stiff spring that will just work with your weight as long as you use the compression damping correctly. However, for '05 we will be switching the BW 1.0 to an air fork as well. Why? Because our air systems will easily handle that weight, they feel better, and they give you many more tuning options. We will perform the upgrade for those with existing BW 1.0's for a minimal fee.

The other two new forks will be 20mm dropouts on both the BW .8 and BW 1.0. You will be able to buy both fork platforms in either standard QR or with 20mm. We are toying with the idea of a 5" travel fork as well, but I'm not sure the rest of the world is ready for it (tires/rims). Give me feedback. If nothing else we may be able to offer it as an option, special makeup.

The Duuude, man...
    Whoa!
    Really?
    #1 I'd be VERY afraid of turning the obviously solid/tried/true BW platform to an air fork.
    Whoa!! Really?? Thier most tried and true forks/platforms ARE air....he's basically saying the 1.0 will become a twin of the .8, but with 20mm more travel....what's to be afraid about that????

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I'm afraid it will have all the characteristics and qualites of my CX-1.
    I'm afraid it will blow.
    I'm afraid of being 30 miles out and having to ride back bottomed out.
    I'm afraid of having only 60% of usable travel.
    Other than that..not much...

Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    Whoa!! Really?? Thier most tried and true forks/platforms ARE air....he's basically saying the 1.0 will become a twin of the .8, but with 20mm more travel....what's to be afraid about that????

Recovering couch patato
    My '03 WB .8 already is problem-free. It's got one high-pressure air champer to fill, and I mean HIGH pressure. The '04 has a larger air chamber, and can suffice with lower pressures. The Great Divide race was won on it (so was 2nd), Nike C's fork has not been touched during the race, and came out of it well enought o be put back on the shelve. Nice story, and I actually believe it.
    As NJC says, they're just giving the '05 1.0 the same internals as their highy successful .8, which so happens to be all-air. This company has grown past the days of the CX-1, trust them.
    In your case, the 20mm thru-axle option could be cool. Makes the forks even stiffer, something I can hardly imagine. That and 5", hmmmm...
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

giddy up!

Hmmm....

.....You guys would have to know Padre to understand why he is soo concerned about riding an all air fork. The guy can break anything, and quickly. I can think of two frames off the top of my head, and there is probably more.

That, and I think he has already blown up his cx-1 a few times. If I were him, I'd stick to a coil as well!
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

The Duuude, man...
    I'm afraid it will have all the characteristics and qualites of my CX-1.
    I'm afraid it will blow.
    I'm afraid of being 30 miles out and having to ride back bottomed out.
    I'm afraid of having only 60% of usable travel.
    Other than that..not much...
    Don't be afraid, take a walk on the wild side.

If MC can ride his for 2500 miles straight with zero maintence and it still looks perfect inside, I think you and I can ride it without much cocerns. Gone are the days of the CX-1 and the Pacer. Coincidentally, I had zero problems with my CX-1, and I weigh about the same as you. There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Padre,

The only shared characteristics between the CX-1 and BW .8 is the basic 32mm platform we have used for years. Every other part is different from a material and construction standpoint. As for internals they are nothing alike. I won't get into the history of the CX-1 cartridges before we purchased the various companies we own, but suffice to say all of your concerns may be valid for the old product, but have nothing in common with what we produce today.

The air system we have developed is relatively low pressure using the most durable pneumatic products known. Our spring rate is designed to ramp linear, not inversely like air springs of old, or of competitors. Our new air systems feel very close to coil springs. As for blowing a seal, the seals we use are tested to pressures four times that of what the most agressive riders can exert on them without issue.

If you get a chance to ride one of the new forks, you will see. I did not take photos of Mike C's fork when we had it apart, but honestly, it looked brand new inside and there was absolutely no deterioration to any of the seals, fluid levels, or stanchions. The only wear was a small mark from where his hydraulic hose rubbed the crown.

FYI, we have been testing an all air DH fork for most of the summer on the NORBA + WC circuit and with a few of the Redbull riders. The fork is 5.3 lbs. with 7.25" of travel, there have been zero air pressure issues. Ask anyone how gnarly the Mt. Snow course and Mt. St. Anne WC were. I'm not trying to convince you or dispute any issues you may have had, only trying to give examples of our experiance and success with air invery extreme situations.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I'd be willing to consider it.
    Mike C's journey was a definate eye opener.
    I just want it dependable, that's all.
    Looking forward to getting my situation worked out, will have to wait till Tim is back apparently.
    I love that the CX-1 is only 1lb heavier than my rigid fork!

Quote Originally Posted by rossixc
    Padre,

The only shared characteristics between the CX-1 and BW .8 is the basic 32mm platform we have used for years. Every other part is different from a material and construction standpoint. As for internals they are nothing alike. I won't get into the history of the CX-1 cartridges before we purchased the various companies we own, but suffice to say all of your concerns may be valid for the old product, but have nothing in common with what we produce today.

The air system we have developed is relatively low pressure using the most durable pneumatic products known. Our spring rate is designed to ramp linear, not inversely like air springs of old, or of competitors. Our new air systems feel very close to coil springs. As for blowing a seal, the seals we use are tested to pressures four times that of what the most agressive riders can exert on them without issue.

If you get a chance to ride one of the new forks, you will see. I did not take photos of Mike C's fork when we had it apart, but honestly, it looked brand new inside and there was absolutely no deterioration to any of the seals, fluid levels, or stanchions. The only wear was a small mark from where his hydraulic hose rubbed the crown.

FYI, we have been testing an all air DH fork for most of the summer on the NORBA + WC circuit and with a few of the Redbull riders. The fork is 5.3 lbs. with 7.25" of travel, there have been zero air pressure issues. Ask anyone how gnarly the Mt. Snow course and Mt. St. Anne WC were. I'm not trying to convince you or dispute any issues you may have had, only trying to give examples of our experiance and success with air invery extreme situations.