Wheelsets?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wheelsets?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Wheelsets?

I know these threads get posted all the time, but I'm kind of looking at some wheelsets. Budget is always an issue. I've done due diligence with my search function and can't really find what I'm looking for neither on mtbr nor on the interweb. Looking at:

WTB Laserdisc Trail
    BWW Pure 29
    Mavic TN719

Really looking for reviews of the rims I guess. I'll select hubs separately. I found a set of the Laserdisc laced to SLX hubs for a really good price unridden. Any thoughts?

200lbs smooth XC rider.

Thanks/

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    My 6'6", 260lb riding buddy has been throttling some Laserdisc Trails for over two years and they've never even been trued! They are out of round a bit but it's mind boggling to me how he hasn't tacoed one, or worse. Oh, and he runs them Gorilla tape tubeless

I've personally used TN719 and Pure rims but both were 26" variety. No complaints with either really, but if you're looking for a rim that could live through a nuclear fallout, go with the Laserdiscs

At Work
    have had great luck with Stans Arch's with ZTR hubs on my 26r
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

ballbuster

Check with MikeSee

Quote Originally Posted by shockfinder
    I know these threads get posted all the time, but I'm kind of looking at some wheelsets. Budget is always an issue. I've done due diligence with my search function and can't really find what I'm looking for neither on mtbr nor on the interweb. Looking at:

WTB Laserdisc Trail
    BWW Pure 29
    Mavic TN719

Really looking for reviews of the rims I guess. I'll select hubs separately. I found a set of the Laserdisc laced to SLX hubs for a really good price unridden. Any thoughts?

200lbs smooth XC rider.

Thanks/
    lacemine29.com

He hooked me up with a NOS Bontrager Maverick rim (similar, if not the same as a Mustang) on an XT hub with DT Swiss double butted spokes. Handbuilt by the man himself.

So far, its been great. I'll bet he can hook you up with a built set for under $300 easy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Anyone have experience with the American Classic tubeless setup. They seem pretty darn light. What about durability?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    There's a set of AC's locally at a pretty good price but I'm worried they won't hold my weight. I'm looking for the magic point between durability and weight. Some locals run AC's tubeless though.

Short-Change-Hero
    One of my brother's riding buddies had AC on both his road bike and mtn bike. He says that while they are good rims, he literally has to have them trued once a month. Now they do not ride hard and definitely are not heavy riders (both are like 5'9" and 130lbs). Since you are a bit more of a clyde I would probably go with the LaserDisc, TN719, or Sun Ringle EQ27.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I ride Arches on Hope hubs and they've been trouble/thought free, just the way I like em A set of Arches with the house hubs is arguably the best bang for your buck out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    I ride Arches on Hope hubs and they've been trouble/thought free, just the way I like em A set of Arches with the house hubs is arguably the best bang for your buck out there.
    That would be sweet but a bit more coin than I want to drop right now. How do you compare them to your buddy's Laserdiscs?

BTW, what would be considered a reasonable weight for 29er wheels? At my weight I don't think I'm ever going to want a 1500 gram wheelset since I just ride, not race. Is it 1800? 1900? 2000?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shockfinder
    That would be sweet but a bit more coin than I want to drop right now. How do you compare them to your buddy's Laserdiscs?

BTW, what would be considered a reasonable weight for 29er wheels? At my weight I don't think I'm ever going to want a 1500 gram wheelset since I just ride, not race. Is it 1800? 1900? 2000?
    I would say the Laserdiscs are stronger but they're also 1/4lb heavier per wheel so they ought to be. The Arches are one of Stan's strongest rims but by no means the strongest rim out there.

You can find a house set of Stan's Arches/Flows for around $400 if you search hard enough. I don't know exactly what your budget limit is but that's not too bad for a solid set of wheels.

I don't think the weight is the tell tale sign of strength but you are right in saying you're not going to want a 1500gr wheelset. Take a look at Prowheelbuilder.com. You can custom build your own wheelset down to the gram It'll give you an idea how much certain things weigh. I think my Arches/Hopes/SuperComp wheelset is 1700ish grams. I'm not as obsessed with weight as I used to be so I couldn't tell you exactly what they weigh...

mtbr member
    One word.... two wheels: STANS!
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

Singleminded

Speed Dream

My experience having Dave Thomas with Dave's Custom Wheels build me a set of Stan's ZTR's has been great. He's a wheel guru and knows how to save weight which is absolutely critical in a 29er wheel. Do yourself a favor and at least call him. www.speeddream.com

I wouldn't buy a factory set after having him lace up two sets for me. I know budget is a factor and you're thinking 'custom wheels, that'll break the bank.' All the more reason to have Dave build them for you, he will know how to build a wheel as light and strong as needed for the required rider given the budget. But, my advice would always be, when it comes to 29er's save your money on the frame and spend it on the wheels. Rotational weight savings is critical for making the niner the best ride out there.

Read his reviews here on MTBR

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/wheelset/dave's/wheels-speed-dream-wheel-set/PRD_353646_157crx.aspx

143 reviews and 4.95 flaming chilis, show me another wheelset with reviews like that!!
    singleminded

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Gotta give a shout out to my boys in GrandRapids MI
    VELOCITY WHEELS http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=660
    I have been hammering away everyday on some VXC's that they built for me.
    No complaints and awesome customer service.
    1677 grams, smooth running hubs, 2 years no adjustments no truing.
    I went with the pro build with sapims so they were more like 5 bills but there are cheaper options.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by prphoto
    Gotta give a shout out to my boys in GrandRapids MI
    VELOCITY WHEELS http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=660
    I have been hammering away everyday on some VXC's that they built for me.
    No complaints and awesome customer service.
    1677 grams, smooth running hubs, 2 years no adjustments no truing.
    I went with the pro build with sapims so they were more like 5 bills but there are cheaper options.
    I read your review in the review section. You work in a shop? What's your opinion of the hubs? A few years ago Velocity branded hubs weren't well thought of.

At Work
    they kinda look like the Stan's ZTR hubs.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

Members who have read this thread: 0