Wheelset or rim for 29er UST- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 45 of 45
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shahardot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    74

    New question here. Wheelset or rim for 29er UST

    Want to run my front wheel with UST tires without using NoTubes stripes and such (just like I do with my XM819 on my 26er - use one of Maxxis's LUST tires and fill it up with sealant ).

    Usage is pure XC...so I'm not looking for a bombproof rim.

    Any help would be appreciated, I tried to use the search but no results there what's the best/most recommended rim for that use. ZTR Arch/Flow hold UST tires without stripes ?

    Thanks
    Specialized - SJ Marathon 29" (2010) ||| KHS - Solo One 29" (2007) ||| KHS - Alite 3000 (2000) ||| Kona Kula Supreme (2008)

  2. #2
    The Steeziest!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5
    UST 29r rims are tough to come across you should probly just get some 29r bontrager rims those rim strips that they use really work quite well in my opinion

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,061
    Bontrager rims are UST if you use their strip.

    The XT wheelset is also great value in my opinion.

  4. #4
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,976
    OK...if I read your post right, you just want a rim to run a UST (BTW-there are 29er Tubeless Ready tires with UST spec beads but I don't think anyone is making a full 29er UST tire anymore) beaded tire. But your not specifically asking for a UST rim.

    The easiest set up will either be Bontrager rims (sold only through a Trek dealer) or Stans NoTube rims which do not require a rim strip but do require specific rim tape. Based on it being a front rim and your doing pure XC,,,go with either a Stans 355 or Arch if your pushing 200lbs or more.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    329
    29er certified UST options are:

    1) C29SSMAX (QR, 15mm & 20mm front).

    2) Fulcrum Red Metal XLR (QR only - 20mm reference refers only to the hub's internal axle).

    3) Shimano MT75 XT wheelset (QR only).

    4) Easton Haven (QR/15mm, 20mm soon).

    5) Crank Bros (QR only).

    Individual UST rims are not yet available. Anyone releasing (ideally a 21mm internal width UST) a 29er UST rim would have the market to themselves.

    E&OE
    Last edited by Mark2c; 02-12-2010 at 04:44 PM.

  6. #6
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    29er certified UST options are:

    1) C29SSMAX (QR, 15mm & 20mm front).

    2) Fulcrum Red Metal XLR (QR only - 20mm reference refers only to the hub's internal axle).

    3) Shimano MT75 XT wheelset (QR only).

    4) Easton Haven (QR/15mm, 20mm soon).

    5) Crank Bros (QR only).

    Individual UST rims are not yet available. Anyone releasing (ideally a 21mm internal width UST) a 29er UST rim would have the market to themselves.

    E&OE
    Bontrager Rims are UST with their strip and are available individually through an authorized retailer (but are not shown on their web page for some reason). Crank Bros wheels are not UST spec, simply "tubeless compatible".

  7. #7
    In FTF We Trust
    Reputation: el-cid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Are Bontrager rims actually "UST"? Their tires are "TLR" Tubeless Ready so I'm thinking they're not actually UST spec. I got tired of waiting for years for Mavic to come out with a UST 29er rim only and finally gave up and broke down and got a set of C29ssmax wheels. I'll be a happy guy when more 29er UST (at least bead) tires hit the market.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

    Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    329

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Bontrager Rims are UST with their strip and are available individually through an authorized retailer (but are not shown on their web page for some reason). Crank Bros wheels are not UST spec, simply "tubeless compatible".
    Incorrect on two counts:
    1) Bonty are not UST certified and
    2) CB 29er are UST certified.

    A quick check on line rather than shooting from the hip could have saved us all time.

  9. #9
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,976
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Are Bontrager rims actually "UST"? Their tires are "TLR" Tubeless Ready so I'm thinking they're not actually UST spec. I got tired of waiting for years for Mavic to come out with a UST 29er rim only and finally gave up and broke down and got a set of C29ssmax wheels. I'll be a happy guy when more 29er UST (at least bead) tires hit the market.
    The rims themselves are not UST certified, but when the Bontrager rim strip is used then it meets UST standards. The rim strips is molded (not rubber like Stans rims strips) and fits very snuggly into the rim. If you compare it to a Mavic UST rim profile, you'll see that they are near identical.

    Having something "UST Certified" is expensive and given past lawsuits between Mavic and Trek (over how they milled their rims on certain wheelsets) I doubt Trek wants or even feels they need to get that certification from Mavic.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    201
    I'm partial to the XT wheelset. The xts are a little heavier than some other choices but I like the cone and cup bearing system that shimano uses. I think most of the weight is in the hubs so it shouldn't influence the rotational weight that much. They are easy to service if you need to and are pretty indestructible and are ust certified. I ran an XTR hubset for 10+ years and had no issues. I have destroyed enough hubs that used cartridge bearings, I will never go back to them again. I also like not having to use a rim strip and like the way tires with UST beads hook to them.

  11. #11
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Mucker
    I'm partial to the XT wheelset. The xts are a little heavier than some other choices but I like the cone and cup bearing system that shimano uses. I think most of the weight is in the hubs so it shouldn't influence the rotational weight that much. They are easy to service if you need to and are pretty indestructible and are ust certified. I ran an XTR hubset for 10+ years and had no issues. I have destroyed enough hubs that used cartridge bearings, I will never go back to them again. I also like not having to use a rim strip and like the way tires with UST beads hook to them.
    Beware of the new XT hubs (including their wheels)...many reports of failed FH Bodies and broken axles (which are now aluminum). Not quite the same as the old "bulletproof" XT stuff.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Mucker
    ...I have destroyed enough hubs that used cartridge bearings, I will never go back to them again...
    My experience is the opposite. Conditions here are wet and abrasive and the XT hubs have rapidly rusted on the hub cone (fatal - new hub time).

    Having moved to 20mm TA I'll never go back to QR (or even 10mm bolted which is lots better than QR). As far as I'm aware cones are not an option with TA setups.

    Finally UST certification requires a sealed rim without rim strips. As such, Bonty couldn't get certification even if they wanted to.

    HTH

  13. #13
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by shahardot
    Want to run my front wheel with UST tires without using NoTubes stripes and such (just like I do with my XM819 on my 26er - use one of Maxxis's LUST tires and fill it up with sealant ).

    Usage is pure XC...so I'm not looking for a bombproof rim.

    Any help would be appreciated, I tried to use the search but no results there what's the best/most recommended rim for that use. ZTR Arch/Flow hold UST tires without stripes ?

    Thanks
    there are no UST 29er tires last I checked, specialized and geax are suposed to be making some but they're not out yet. so why get a UST rim?
    get the Stans Flow or arch, no rim strips, just yellow tape & sealant and any tubeless tire will work great, Ive also run many regular tire tubeless on the flows
    best tubeless setup Ive used including UST 26"

  14. #14
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    My experience is the opposite. Conditions here are wet and abrasive and the XT hubs have rapidly rusted on the hub cone (fatal - new hub time).

    Having moved to 20mm TA I'll never go back to QR (or even 10mm bolted which is lots better than QR). As far as I'm aware cones are not an option with TA setups.

    Finally UST certification requires a sealed rim without rim strips. As such, Bonty couldn't get certification even if they wanted to.

    HTH
    well.... not exactly
    Hutchinson got ust certification while requiring sealant
    the original spec was airtight rim and tire without sealant, but there seems to be a grey area now. Although no one has ever actually seen the Mavic spec. for UST that I've been able to find
    Last edited by dan0; 02-18-2010 at 08:40 AM.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 1-bar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,505
    2nd that ^^^
    go stans all the way. You will not find a lighter wheelset that is as reliable as a stan's setup for the money. Check out my boys at R2 for all sorts of wheel data.
    Got LEFTY?
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2017 C’dale Scalpel Carbon 3
    -2014 C’dale Bad Boy 1

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    329
    Ah, but some excellent tires are just too tight to fit on Stans rims - eg GEAX TNT.

    I do wish the 'standards' thing would get sorted out. Often bad behavior/ anti-competative / non-cooperative behavior by proprietary mobs wielding disproportionate market strength eg Shimano, Microsoft et al.
    Last edited by Mark2c; 02-12-2010 at 11:04 PM.

  17. #17
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    Ah, but some excellent tires are just too tight to fit on Stans rims - eg GEAX TNT.

    I do wish the 'standards' thing would get sorted out. Often bad behavior/ anti-competative / non-cooperative behavior by proprietary mobs wielding disproportionate market strength eg Shimano, Microsoft et al.
    heard the same thing , but only about Geax tires

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    581
    Believe the Geax TNT/Stans warning. Do you want to know how I got the tires on the rim? With a screwdriver (after breaking two tire levers). Want to know how they are coming off? With tin snips.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    heard the same thing , but only about Geax tires
    My comment wasn't criticism of Stans rims or of Geax tires.

    It appears that both are trying to avoid the UST standard and have come in at either end of the tolerencing curve.

    Something like 'all the other rims work with Geax and all the other tires work with Stans'.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,193
    I've been a long time proponent of the UST system on my 26" bikes. I've been using only UST or TLR tires on UST rims for over six years.

    I recently built my first 29" bike and did the frustrating search for and equivalent system.

    Eventually I decided to try my luck with a set of Stan's Flow rims with yellow tape and TLR tires. I chose a pair of Specialized Purgatory Control 2Bliss as I've had good results with them on 26" wheels. They aired up as easily as UST wheels and tires, with a floor pump and popped into place. I didn't need any soapy water. They probably would have worked fine without sealant. They were still inflated the next day but I threw some sealant in for good measure.

    Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    201
    The xt's are a good XC wheelset. UST certified, decent weight, not super expensive, and easily serviced if necessary. I've had nothing but good experience with shimano xt and xtr hubs that have lasted years, unlike other hubsets that failed within a year of owning them.
    shahardot was looking for a UST certified for xc usage and in my opinion and based on my experiences the xt wheelset is probably his best choice.

    I'll admit I'm biased against rims that use rim strips or tape as a means to seal but that's because I've had nothing but great experience with UST certified rims.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Mucker
    The xt's are a good XC wheelset. UST certified, decent weight, not super expensive, and easily serviced if necessary. I've had nothing but good experience with shimano xt and xtr hubs that have lasted years, unlike other hubsets that failed within a year of owning them.
    shahardot was looking for a UST certified for xc usage and in my opinion and based on my experiences the xt wheelset is probably his best choice.

    I'll admit I'm biased against rims that use rim strips or tape as a means to seal but that's because I've had nothing but great experience with UST certified rims.
    I fully agree with you, Shimano hubs are great. I've had a set of M960 XTR hubs on my long travel 26" bike for the six years I mentioned earlier and they have been faultless. My new 29" wheels with the Flow rims are Shimano Saint hubs. They are lighter than XT but more important for me they are Thru bolt, front and back. They also accommodate 36 spokes.

    What I don't like about Shimano XT wheels is that they appear to be built for 150lbs. racers with only 24 spokes and 19mm. wide rims. I wonder how long they would last with my 210lbs. I would love to see a 29" equivalent Mavic's EX 823. It's good to dream, but until then the Stan's Flows work damn well with tubeless tires.

    Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    I fully agree with you, Shimano hubs are great. I've had a set of M960 XTR hubs on my long travel 26" bike for the six years I mentioned earlier and they have been faultless. My new 29" wheels with the Flow rims are Shimano Saint hubs. They are lighter than XT but more important for me they are Thru bolt, front and back. They also accommodate 36 spokes.

    What I don't like about Shimano XT wheels is that they appear to be built for 150lbs. racers with only 24 spokes and 19mm. wide rims. I wonder how long they would last with my 210lbs. I would love to see a 29" equivalent Mavic's EX 823. It's good to dream, but until then the Stan's Flows work damn well with tubeless tires.

    Ronnie.
    right there with you ronnie. I wouldn't recommend them for someone like you but for someone looking for a decent xc wheelset they are probably a good choice. I like to ride and race xc, so a quick release axle is a better choice for me. I also weigh 175 fully loaded so they are a great choice for me and my style of riding. If i ever have a catastrophic failure with them, I may give easton's or stan's a look, but right now I am really happy with my xt's.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shahardot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    74
    Thanks everyone for the great info...

    Spotted this cheap cheap wheel: Handspun Trail Series 4, 29" Front SRAM X-9, No-Tubes Flow Black, DT Competition Black Spokes

    Any review on that one ?
    Specialized - SJ Marathon 29" (2010) ||| KHS - Solo One 29" (2007) ||| KHS - Alite 3000 (2000) ||| Kona Kula Supreme (2008)

  25. #25
    M_S
    M_S is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Mucker
    right there with you ronnie. I wouldn't recommend them for someone like you but for someone looking for a decent xc wheelset they are probably a good choice. I like to ride and race xc, so a quick release axle is a better choice for me. I also weigh 175 fully loaded so they are a great choice for me and my style of riding. If i ever have a catastrophic failure with them, I may give easton's or stan's a look, but right now I am really happy with my xt's.
    Ditto. I'm only 150 pounds as well but these wheels seem strong and stiff for what they are. They aren't ultra light, though a lot of the weight is likely in the hubs, I don't have any problem hitting mild drops and jumps on every ride and the best i could do was knock the rear just ever so slightly out of true (easily fixed).

  26. #26
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    Incorrect on two counts:
    1) Bonty are not UST certified and
    2) CB 29er are UST certified.

    A quick check on line rather than shooting from the hip could have saved us all time.
    You are wrong (on both counts). If you insist, and since your 'check on line' skills are crap, please provide a link substantiating either of your claims.
    Bonty + rim strip is UST
    The bead is designed to UST spec and the rim + rim strip does not require sealant to hold air. I called them (800) 476-2453. There seems to be some confusion about whether the UST spec allows sealant, but because Bonty rims + strips do not, that is moot.

    No Crank Brothers wheels are UST certified.
    Neither the term UST nor the UST logo is used anywhere in any Crank Brothers marketing material. I also called them. (949) 464-9916

  27. #27
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    My comment wasn't criticism of Stans rims or of Geax tires.

    It appears that both are trying to avoid the UST standard and have come in at either end of the tolerencing curve.

    Something like 'all the other rims work with Geax and all the other tires work with Stans'.
    How is Geax trying to avoid the standard by being one of the only companies to have ever produced a 29er UST tire? Their TNT system is, like every other "tubeless ready" system for tires, based on a UST-spec bead. They also use the logo all over their site.

  28. #28
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    Finally UST certification requires a sealed rim without rim strips. As such, Bonty couldn't get certification even if they wanted to.

    HTH
    Where does this information come from? Please provide a link or other credible citation. Otherwise, it's just an opinion and therefore worthless.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    You are wrong (on both counts). If you insist, and since your 'check on line' skills are crap, please provide a link substantiating either of your claims.
    Bonty + rim strip is UST
    The bead is designed to UST spec and the rim + rim strip does not require sealant to hold air. I called them (800) 476-2453. There seems to be some confusion about whether the UST spec allows sealant, but because Bonty rims + strips do not, that is moot.

    No Crank Brothers wheels are UST certified.
    Neither the term UST nor the UST logo is used anywhere in any Crank Brothers marketing material. I also called them. (949) 464-9916

    How appropriate that a discussion about standards should include double standards! While standing up on a high soap box, no links have been provided to support your own assertions...

    So, I cannot find any links to show that Bonty TLR is UST certified. There are plenty to say that UST tires can be mounted successfully on TLR rims. However the discussion as about 'UST CERTIFIED'.

    I'll happily be proven wrong here, but my understanding is that the need for rimstrips precludes any UST certification. As far as I'm aware the UST technical standard is proprietary and has never been published online (copyright etc, typical of many technical standards). This doesn't mean people can't discuss them eh? A link to a UST Certified rim that uses rim strips could be quite useful here.

    Next onto CBs wheelsets. References re "UST Certified":
    1) http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mo...lset.1362.html.

    2) http://www.bicicletta.co.za/Download...ers%20Co__.pdf (looks like a copy of the above).

    These are second hand - so l got in touch with CBs as well:

    Hi,
    The wheels can run any tubless tire.

    --
    John Peters
    Crankbrothers
    310 Broadway Laguna Beach, CA
    92651


    Looks like:
    1) neither Bonty TLR or CB rims are actually UST certified.
    2) both can mount up UST beaded tires fine.
    3) links exist for CB UST certification (though they are not authoritative).
    4) no links exist were found stating that Bonty TLR is UST Certified.

    Thanks for the clarification/correction.

    Finally, melow out eh?
    Last edited by Mark2c; 02-18-2010 at 02:06 AM.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    329
    Interesting.

    The Bonty TLR user manual (http://media.bontrager.com/owners_ma...eady_Tires.pdf) on page 2 says that standard tires (ie clincher) are compatible with TLR rims, but are not compatible with UST rims.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    How is Geax trying to avoid the standard by being one of the only companies to have ever produced a 29er UST tire? Their TNT system is, like every other "tubeless ready" system for tires, based on a UST-spec bead. They also use the logo all over their site.
    Only in that the Geax TNT don't mount up well on the Stans 29er rims.

    I've not heard of anyone trying to mount up the Geax UST tires on Stans 29er rims. It would be very interesting to know whether the UST variant was similarly 'tight'.

    Geax could, but don't, list the TNT tires as "UST Compatible" like Hutchinson does with the Python. Agreed that the butyl layer issue is now moot. There has been comment that the UST standard has been revised to allow lighter tires that require sealant.
    Last edited by Mark2c; 02-18-2010 at 02:11 AM.

  32. #32
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    These arguments are worthless without a written version of the UST standard
    where is it? I've been looking for 2 years , cant be found
    seems like nothing but puffery. What kind of standard is secret?


    BTW
    there are NO UST tires for 29" currently on the market, Specialized is the only manufacturer that even lists UST 29" but they've never been in stock
    Last edited by dan0; 02-18-2010 at 08:39 AM.

  33. #33
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    How appropriate that a discussion about standards should include double standards! While standing up on a high soap box, no links have been provided to support your own assertions...
    Standing high on a soap box? double standards? False accusations don't really serve to "mellow out," do they? You are the one who smugly suggested a quick online check would reveal the truth about your statements and prevent wasted time. It didn't for me. If it had, I would not have asked for a link. I like to call people, which is what I did. I provided phone numbers. I'm not seeing this double standard, or the soapbox, for that matter.
    FWIW I could have restrained myself on the 'crap skills' comment. Sorry about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    I'll happily be proven wrong here, but my understanding is that the need for rimstrips precludes any UST certification. As far as I'm aware the UST technical standard is proprietary and has never been published online (copyright etc, typical of many technical standards). This doesn't mean people can't discuss them eh? A link to a UST Certified rim that uses rim strips could be quite useful here.
    Me too, and I think there is some confusion about what the standard actually says because it has not been published. I provided the phone number to call Bontrager, which is what I did. I'm not going to record the phone conversation and post an mp3. You suggested that an on-line check would quickly have proven mtnbiker72 and myself wrong, but didn't provide any links and it wasn't apparent to me from searching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    Next onto CBs wheelsets. References re "UST Certified":
    1) http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mo...lset.1362.html.

    2) http://www.bicicletta.co.za/Download...ers%20Co__.pdf (looks like a copy of the above).

    These are second hand - so l got in touch with CBs as well:
    If I recall, that article came out before the wheels were released and just got their facts wrong. Second link looks like a copy of the first, like you said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    Hi,
    The wheels can run any tubless tire.

    --
    John Peters
    Crankbrothers
    310 Broadway Laguna Beach, CA
    92651


    Looks like:
    1) neither Bonty TLR or CB rims are actually UST certified.
    2) both can mount up UST beaded tires fine.
    3) links exist for CB UST certification (though they are not authoritative).
    4) no links exist were found stating that Bonty TLR is UST Certified.
    This could be right. I was told by Bontrager that their rims + rimstrips are "compatible with UST" without sealant. They also specifically state that the bead is the same as "standard tubeless," on the tubeless ready technology page (here), which crank bros. doesn't do. So I'd agree that neither is probably "certified" (the giveaway is that neither uses the ust logo). However, Bontrager is the only one (of the manufacturers) to make specific statements in reference to "standard tubeless" and the bead design being same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    Thanks for the clarification/correction.
    Likewise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c

    Finally, melow out eh?
    Same to you.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 02-18-2010 at 10:29 AM.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    329
    Thanks dan0 and meltingfeather. The lack of standards is causing pain, cost and confustion.

    Frankly the average person walking into their LBS has a daunting/impossible problem working all the tubeless thing out.

    Unfortunately proprietary standards exist all over the place (eg Microsoft) - and we just get on with it by paying too much for stuff that should work and inter-operate better (ie be commoditized).

    Without more clarity about standards, more tolerencing issues, burping etc are likely to arise.

    Mavic is probably the only entity that could fix this rapidly - and they would be heroes if the do (herpes if they don't?).

    Sorry for the soapbox jab.

  35. #35
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    Only in that the Geax TNT don't mount up well on the Stans 29er rims.

    I've not heard of anyone trying to mount up the Geax UST tires on Stans 29er rims. It would be very interesting to know whether the UST variant was similarly 'tight'.

    Geax could, but don't, list the TNT tires as "UST Compatible" like Hutchinson does with the Python. Agreed that the butyl layer issue is now moot. There has been comment that the UST standard has been revised to allow lighter tires that require sealant.
    Hmmm. I guess I see what you're saying with regard to tolerance, but since Stan isn't playing the UST game, I don't see how it's relevant to UST.
    I just don't understand why a company that has paid Mavic to use the UST logo would be trying to "get away from it."
    On their webpage, under the "technology" tab, under "tnt technology," there is a graphic that says TNT+Latex=UST
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 02-18-2010 at 01:10 PM.

  36. #36
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,307
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    These arguments are worthless without a written version of the UST standard
    This is my opinion too. Just the facts, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    where is it? I've been looking for 2 years , cant be found
    seems like nothing but puffery. What kind of standard is secret?
    My best guess is that it can be had here for 77 Euro. My understanding is that there is no charge to use the design specifications (other than buying a copy of them), but that use of the UST logo and/or other trademarks of Mavic requires a license (read: CA$H MONEY).
    If you go for it, I'd like a copy, please.

  37. #37
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    Interesting.

    The Bonty TLR user manual (http://media.bontrager.com/owners_ma...eady_Tires.pdf) on page 2 says that standard tires (ie clincher) are compatible with TLR rims, but are not compatible with UST rims.
    weird...

  38. #38
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    Thanks dan0 and meltingfeather. The lack of standards is causing pain, cost and confustion.

    Frankly the average person walking into their LBS has a daunting/impossible problem working all the tubeless thing out.
    Definitely, and that's the frustrating thing. It's confusing even for people who spend a ton of energy and time trying to figure it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    Unfortunately proprietary standards exist all over the place (eg Microsoft) - and we just get on with it by paying too much for stuff that should work and inter-operate better (ie be commoditized).

    Without more clarity about standards, more tolerencing issues, burping etc are likely to arise.

    Mavic is probably the only entity that could fix this rapidly - and they would be heroes if the do (herpes if they don't?).
    Unfortunately, I think Mavic's scheme is to go MORE proprietary. I've read that they are developing a new road tire standard that will, of course, be proprietary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    Sorry for the soapbox jab.
    No sweat. I'm guilty myself.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    ...
    BTW
    there are NO UST tires for 29" currently on the market, Specialized is the only manufacturer that even lists UST 29" but they've never been in stock
    Geax did sell UST 29er tires for a while, but they have now been withdrawn.

    My guess is that market demand is for lighter TLR/TNT/UST compatible tires that must run sealant.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    This is my opinion too. Just the facts, please.

    My best guess is that it can be had here for 77 Euro. My understanding is that there is no charge to use the design specifications (other than buying a copy of them), but that use of the UST logo and/or other trademarks of Mavic requires a license (read: CA$H MONEY).
    If you go for it, I'd like a copy, please.
    Count me in for a 20 Euro contribution!

    Meltingfinger - the bead compatibility issue is possibly the key. Mavic may well say that UST rims are incompatible with clinchers as the result of a marketing (rather than engineering) decision.

    The questions then would be:
    1) is an ETRTO tubeless rim compatible with a clincher bead?
    2) is an ETRTO tubeless rim compatible with a UST bead?
    3) is a UST rim/tire combination more robust against burping than the ETRTO equivalent?

    Does anyone have any authoritative answers?

  41. #41
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    Count me in for a 20 Euro contribution!

    Meltingfinger - the bead compatibility issue is possibly the key. Mavic may well say that UST rims are incompatible with clinchers as the result of a marketing (rather than engineering) decision.

    The questions then would be:
    1) is an ETRTO tubeless rim compatible with a clincher bead?
    2) is an ETRTO tubeless rim compatible with a UST bead?
    3) is a UST rim/tire combination more robust against burping than the ETRTO equivalent?

    Does anyone have any authoritative answers?
    UST is the only tubeless standard for bike tires. Mavic went through the hoop of actually getting it published in the ETRTO standards, so the ETRTO standard IS Mavic's UST design.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    329
    Excellent, thanks for the clarification.

    So clincher tires should work on UST rims? Yeah, I know: weird...

  43. #43
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685

    My UST standard

    UST rims or TLR rims or Stans rims

    tubeless ready tires and sealant

    for those who dont like sealant you'll have to go with Mavics UST and skip the 29er or 650b

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    329
    or you could try 29er UST...

    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...tain+Bike+Tire

    Need to buy it soon as there are out of production.

  45. #45
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    or you could try 29er UST...

    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...tain+Bike+Tire

    Need to buy it soon as there are out of production.

    ha, you're too funny

    I had an order from them for the Gato 29 UST for about a month, I cancelled
    I wouldnt be surprised if they turned out to be Not in stock, notice the 7 day shipping est.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.