Wheelset Dilemma- Mtbr.com
    veinte nueve pulgadas

Wheelset Dilemma

Here's the deal...I was going to get a set of King ISO's laced up for my new 29er. Then I found out about the White Brothers/CK problem, so I decided to get a Hugi up front and a King in the rear. Then I get the news that my builder won't be able to get Hugi or CK hubs in stock and built up till long after I have my frame. That sucks, but I must move on...

I may be able to find somebody out there that has the hubs in stock and have them build them up for more money than I was going to pay originally, or I can get a set of Bonty Race or Race Lite's for a lot less than I was going to pay for the CK wheels.

I'm looking for any feedbeck on the Bonty wheels, race or racelite. I can save some cash now by going that route, but will they last?

I weigh 200lbs and ride/race east-coast cross country (ie rocks and roots).

mtbr member
    Short of the King setup I would go with Amercan Classic. Try talking with Dave Thomas at Speeddream.com. In my experience he builds the the best wheels out there that take a pounding and last. He will prob set you up with the Bonty Mustang rims. He build me a set of 26" King/Valaiants that lasted 4K miles and were stupid light and needed truing twice.

jl
    climb
    After Kings--Hadley's...

See this thread...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=72568
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

veinte nueve pulgadas

Thanks, but...

The decision, right now, comes down to King or Bonty. The Bonty's have Hugi 240s and a steel free hub, but they only have 28 spokes. Front and Rear.

The Bonty's will cost me a lot less than the Kings. Will they last anywhere near as long though?

And will a 28 spoke rim survive under a 200lb rider?

Witty McWitterson
    Go with AM classic. I wouldn't use 28 on a 29" wheel, especailly if you're over 200 w/gear. The Am. Classics are lighter than the kings too boot, and with the taller flanges, you'll get a stronger wheel built. I'm sure the Bonty/Hugi hubs are fine, but the 28 thing kinda scares me.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The Bonti's I had....

Had the Hugi "Oryx" hub,not the 240.The Oryx is a pretty trouble prone low end bub,so make sure they are in fact the 240's.

Dan Cas
    no signature

veinte nueve pulgadas

Decision made

I decided that at the price I could get them, I couldn't pass up the Race Lites. They are, in fact, built on Hugi 240s hubs.

Time will tell if the 28 spokes can hold me up or not. Hopefully the higher flanges on the disc hubs and the offset spoke bed will make up for the lack of spokes. I have not historically had any problems with wheel strength.

Worst case scenario, I ride them and either a) hate them or b) destroy them. In the case of a), I'll sell them to a lightweight and probably make a dime or two. In b)'s case, I'll rebuild them and sell them to a lightweight and still make out. Then I'll have a set of Kings or Hadleys or AC's built up. I could always use the race lites as road wheels for the 29er if I come to lack confidence in them on the trail.

www.badgercycles.com

Pretty sure there not 240s

[QUOTE=nzumbi] They are, in fact, built on Hugi 240s hubs.

My wifes Waltworks has a Race Lite wheelset and I have a brand new pair of Hugi 240s. I was just compairing them last night and they are not the same hub. I agree with dfcas the Racelites come with Onyx hubs. I rode the front Racelite on my ridged bike and thought it was very flexy. Hit the brakepads everytime I stood to climb. This lasted about 2 miles before I went back to get my King ISO 32 hole laced to a Mustang. Big difference! I'm around 170 lbs. Barb has no problems with the Racelites but she is a whopping 115 lbs.

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nzumbi
    Here's the deal...I was going to get a set of King ISO's laced up for my new 29er. Then I found out about the White Brothers/CK problem, so I decided to get a Hugi up front and a King in the rear.
    Out of curiosity, what is the King/White problem?

(ff)

Witty McWitterson
    You must've missed several threads on this subject. Seems that there's tolerance issues with this combination with the rotor hitting the fork leg. A simple solution lies in not using this combo. This is a problem though if one thinks that Kings are the be-all and end-all of hubs and can't look elsewhere for quality.
    Just a regular guy.

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    You must've missed several threads on this subject. Seems that there's tolerance issues with this combination with the rotor hitting the fork leg. A simple solution lies in not using this combo. This is a problem though if one thinks that Kings are the be-all and end-all of hubs and can't look elsewhere for quality.
    Yes, I definitely missed all threads pertaining to this issue... Of course, that is why I asked.

Thanks for the explanation.

(ff)

What's up Dut?
    Mar 2004

Question for you?

Quote Originally Posted by nzumbi
    Here's the deal...I was going to get a set of King ISO's laced up for my new 29er. Then I found out about the White Brothers/CK problem, so I decided to get a Hugi up front and a King in the rear. Then I get the news that my builder won't be able to get Hugi or CK hubs in stock and built up till long after I have my frame. That sucks, but I must move on...

I may be able to find somebody out there that has the hubs in stock and have them build them up for more money than I was going to pay originally, or I can get a set of Bonty Race or Race Lite's for a lot less than I was going to pay for the CK wheels.

I'm looking for any feedbeck on the Bonty wheels, race or racelite. I can save some cash now by going that route, but will they last?

I weigh 200lbs and ride/race east-coast cross country (ie rocks and roots).
    nzumbi - please check your PM's as I sent some questions your way. thnx.

veinte nueve pulgadas

New Plan

Well, in the end I decided the Race Lites weren't for me. I had to place and cancel the order twice before I figured it out.

Instead, here's what I'll be riding: Hadley Disc in the rear laced to a Delgado (32 hole) with DT Competitions and brass nips. Hope XC in the front with same rim, spoke and nips. All black and stealthy. Larry is building them for me. Nice guy.

Thanks to all for their input along the way.

jl
    climb
    I knew you'd come around ...
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.