Wheel and tyre advice please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wheel and tyre advice please

Hi

I'm just about to build my first 29r up which is going to be a singlespeed and rigid Soul Cycles Dillinger and i haven't a clue about what wheels to build up.

I usually run either Mavic XM819 or XC717 rims with Hope or Chris King hubs, so this time I've decided on the Hope Pro II hubs already, but what rim should I go with? I'd like light yet strong, I'm over 200lbs.

What can you guys suggest please?

Many thanks

J

Did I catch a niner+?
    rear: http://aebike.com/product/handspun-r...e2949-qc30.htm
    front: http://aebike.com/product/handspun-f...e2948-qc30.htm

Your LBS can usually price match this or come very close since it comes from QBP. Their handspun stuff is very nice, my roommate has this wheelset from QBP handspun, top notch most will agree.

I'd also have a hard time finding a better price.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

don't try this at home
    also look into velocity blunts. similar to the Flows, but less expensive and work just as well.
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am building a SS 29'er too. I have bought some off the shelf XT wheels as a starting point.

I am now thinking of building a custom wheelset like you are. I am pretty keen on going a SS specific hub like the ENO with a screw on sprocket rather than using a slide on sprocket and spacers on a splined freehub.

Have you given any thought to this issue?

Has anyone else got an opinion on screw on vs splined freehubs? One issue is that none of Hope, CK, Shimano or DT do a screw on hub (that I can find).

Did I catch a niner+?
    I use a Paul WORD hub with a WI FW, the proper description is a freewheel not a screw on hub.

Everything works fine, but you will have to match chainline properly so check whatever cranks you have. The Paul's is 51mm so it fits a set of external bb cranks however a WI hub would be off. I also have no option for say running a 1x6 like others have done with SS freehub's.

My 20 WI FW is solid and probably the only one I will ever need to buy unless I want a smaller tooth count. I did "upgrade" the inner drive to get a 72POE vs the original 36POE. The big benefit of the WI FW is that right there all parts can be replaced plus it has cartridge bearings.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Hi

Thanks for your comments, at the moment I'm going with a SS specific hub.

Can I run tubeless on the stans rims?

Also are racing ralphs good all round tyres?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBR
    Just J
    Hmmm...?

You've onle been posting, not reading ?
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Lol you might be right! I was in a rush earlier so I will re read the thread later tonight!

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by thasingletrackmastah
    You've onle been posting, not reading ?
    Ok so I'm not going mad contrary to what you made me think as there is nothing mentioned In the thread regarding tyres or tubeless tyres!

So I'm really wondering what tyres i should go for as all round condition tyres and with the Stans rims am i right in saying i need to buy a kit to run tubeless?...

mtbr member
    What do you guys think of the Arch rims? Plenty strong enough as the site says they are made for aggressive XC and I think they are lighter than the flows?

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J
    Hi

Thanks for your comments, at the moment I'm going with a SS specific hub.

Can I run tubeless on the stans rims?

Also are racing ralphs good all round tyres?
    i'm running ralphs tubeless on the Blunts, and though a great tire, i wouldn't say a good "all round" tire. but it depends on where you ride and what the conditions are like. for me, i'm thinking of something a bit meatier like the knobby nics next time i can afford new tires.
    will you rep me?

Short-Change-Hero
    ^^^ Agreed. Maybe look at something like IKON, AKA, or Ignitor. Supposed to all be good, all around tires! Thinking of getting the AKA myself after testing out the Halo Choir Master I will be getting for free.

Members who have read this thread: 0