Wheel recommend for road 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Wheel recommend for road 29er

I'm looking to try out my 29er as a bath path/road bike. I'm looking to pick up an extra set of wheels to mount 700x35 tires. I've been told by a couple of shops this is doable, by one it is not, so I thought I would try it anyway. Not looking for super light or race wheels. I'm 215lbs, old, slow and fat. I want a road bike, but don't feel safe in traffic with drop bars(ventura county seems like a rider is killed weekly). My first priority is reliable, affordable, than I'll worry about weight. I usually ride a 30 mile bath pike loop. Anybody have any recommendations, or know where any deals online are currently. Also, other than changing out the suspension fork for a niner carbon, anything else I should be looking to do.

Apr 2007
    First and foremost, traffic safety has nothing to do with whether you're on a mountain or road bike. I'm on my road bike quite a bit and don't feel any more/less safe than my mountain bike. So don't let that get in the way of your decision of getting a road bike. You will feel a little awkward at first, because you're getting used to a whole different geometry, but once you do, you will much prefer it to a mountain bike (on the road, of course).

Anyway, you could probably fit 35's on your current rims right now. I'd get a set of tires first, then if you like it, buy a second set of rims. This way, you don't waste $$. Here are some tires on JensonUSA.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/1...es.aspx?s=1503

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You might be surprised how well WTB nano raptors run on the road/path environment. I have a hardtail 29er with these on and apart from wet/mud, they are OK for less technical trail riding - and really good for dirt fire road, rail trail and pavement. Before buying wheels and dedicated road tires, you might try something like this and see if it can work for you. I haven't had the road bike out so much since getting this bike: I've had a lot of fun adding dirt/trail sections to "road rides" that I was already familiar with.

Plays with tools
    700X35 are closer to road range of tire sizes so something a little more narrow on the rim front would be appropriate. However a mountain rim would be fine as long as it's 'standard' width and not one of the wider offerings like a duster. Lace them to some Shimano hubs that fit your budget and away you go.

Members who have read this thread: 0