wheel build- Mtbr.com

Thread: wheel build

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

wheel build

So, I'm building up a set of wheels. I'm going with the arch rims and dt swiss 240 hubs. I have done two different spoke calculations and I got close to the same spoke lengths. I have a few questions I am hoping to get answered.

1. What spoke lengths did you guys do? The two I used, I got 291 for the front left and 295 for the front right. For the rear I got 293 for both left and right.

2. What length nipples did you use? I was thinking of using brass instead of aluminum.

3. I'm about 175 lbs. I was thinking about using competition spokes(2.0/1.8) I figured the supercomp would be too light.

All help is greatly appreciated. This is my engagement present from my fiance, so I want to do this right.

Thanks

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by imiller
    So, I'm building up a set of wheels. I'm going with the arch rims and dt swiss 240 hubs. I have done two different spoke calculations and I got close to the same spoke lengths. I have a few questions I am hoping to get answered.

1. What spoke lengths did you guys do? The two I used, I got 291 for the front left and 295 for the front right. For the rear I got 293 for both left and right.

2. What length nipples did you use? I was thinking of using brass instead of aluminum.

3. I'm about 175 lbs. I was thinking about using competition spokes(2.0/1.8) I figured the supercomp would be too light.

All help is greatly appreciated. This is my engagement present from my fiance, so I want to do this right.

Thanks
    I would use the DT Swiss spoke calculator.

In the "wheels and tires" forum there are a ton of posts on spokes etc...

edit: Here's one:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=spokes

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The lengths up there are from dt's calc. I have read that some people were told to go a mm longer or shorter that what the calc said, thats why I was asking. As for the spokes, the wheels are for everyday and racing so, I want to try to find a light and strong spoke.

noot, thanks for the thread. i posted there yesterday about american classic hubs but, I decided to upgrade to the dt 240's and all the remarks seemed rather rude because I didn't put the spoke lengths in the original thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Thanks
    I've always had good luck with the DT spoke calculator. Knock on wood...

For spokes I like DT Comp or Wheelsmith DB14. The Wheelsmith are really nice to build with and are halfway between a Comp and SuperComp in weight.

12mm nipples will do nicely. I always go brass. They only weight a few grams more and last forever. Of course there will be a bunch of weight weenies jumping in here that will freak at the extra 20g... My race wheels (AC hubs, DB14 spokes, brass nipples, 355 rimes) still come in a respectable 1650g with tape and valves and they have been completely trouble free.

That is my two cents. Good luck on your build!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks bobshort! You have been the most helpful so far. I was thinking of going with the AC hubs, but since I work at a shop I can get everything dirt cheap. The only problem is we are a new shop so I still have to order everything since we are still getting all the tools and inventory together. Also, its only a summer job for me so I have to decide to get the spokes in that length or pay retail when I get home next week.

The Road Warrior
    Nice wheel build. Mind if I ask how much all that stuff costs? I'm in the market, as it were, for a no tubes arch wheelset, and the way I have them spec'd, will run about 700 clams.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Do we have to be 100% exact in the length calculation?

If there is a deviation of some mm it cannot be compensated?

The DT calculator will not spec Shimano hubs and this is a serious pain, you know where...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    LandSpeed, the price for me is different because I work in a bike shop. If you go for arches and 240s you are easily looking at 800 bones.

29erWannabe, that deviation question was what I was hoping I would find an answer too. I'm going to call up my local shop back home who builds with stans rims all the time to see what I should use for the ERD.

My fiance gave me her card this morning to pay for the parts. She said "I guess since you just bought me this ring I can buy you wheels." You gotta love that.

Plays with tools
    I always add a mm for stans rims over what the DT calculator spits out and I am always glad I did. You would probably be fine if you were using brass nips but with alloy you need the spoke to come all the way through the nipple so you don't get heads cracking off.

2nd the 12mm nipples, not to many wheels need 14

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I called a local shop who builds with stan's all the time and said he has had the best luck with QBP's spoke calculator. I used it and the length's were a 1 mm longer than dt's and a excel one I saw. I also had to settle for silver spokes instead of the black like i wanted. I got over it pretty fast though.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My fiance gave me her card this morning to pay for the parts. She said "I guess since you just bought me this ring I can buy you wheels." You gotta love that.
    This sounds so cool and... progressive!

My wife gives me a very hard time with biking. I sometimes think I should sell the damn thing to live a normal life. But then I don't...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erWannabe
    This sounds so cool and... progressive!

My wife gives me a very hard time with biking. I sometimes think I should sell the damn thing to live a normal life. But then I don't...
    There was a deal I had to make with her though. I am not allowed to buy anything for my bikes until after the wedding next summer.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    There was a deal I had to make with her though. I am not allowed to buy anything for my bikes until after the wedding next summer.

Hmmm.... right!

Or you just buy and make sure she didnt get it...

transmitter~receiver
    I called a local shop who builds with stan's all the time and said he has had the best luck with QBP's spoke calculator. I used it and the length's were a 1 mm longer than dt's and a excel one I saw. I also had to settle for silver spokes instead of the black like i wanted. I got over it pretty fast though.
    Sounds like you've got it figured, but every Stan's rim I've measured has an ERD 1.5mm larger than the sticker. Hopefully you went with the longer spokes, but it's not a make or break thing.
    There is no "luck" with calculators. DT's calculator does very simple math (trig). If you get different numbers out of another calculator, it's doing something fishy.
    Good numbers in = good numbers out.
    Sounds like a killer wheelset!
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

banned
    Sep 2007
    LandSpeed, the price for me is different because I work in a bike shop. If you go for arches and 240s you are easily looking at 800 bones.

29erWannabe, that deviation question was what I was hoping I would find an answer too. I'm going to call up my local shop back home who builds with stans rims all the time to see what I should use for the ERD.

That kinda depends on if it's still on her card once you get married....
    When you say "I do" you get the student loans, and the credit card debt too, with the package. When I was younger, I had a few friends that got some surprises after the honeymoon was over.

Members who have read this thread: 0