what's your idea of cheap and expensive?- Mtbr.com
    Plays with tools

what's your idea of cheap and expensive?

It amazes me how many people on this board think $800 for a steel frame is too much or too much for something made overseas. Some of you nickel and dime on everything, ebay this and that. Then some people are more like me and just like nice stuff and are willing to pay a fair price for it. So what are you willing to pay for a bike, what can you justify but can't afford?

<sits back with some coffee>

mtbr member
    Lame thread.

Different folks have different situations and bike budgets. So be it.

Nothing wrong at all with hunting for deals.

Also nothing wrong with splurging for high zoot stuff if you've got the means.

Village Dirtbag
    I like full suspension bikes. Generally, if you want a decent performing one you're looking at $1200 for basic durability, 30 pounds, OK brakes and damping. Expensive for me is $3k and up. I'm spending quite a bit more than that on my new bike though, although it's hard to pull the trigger even though I can afford it.

What's cheap and what's expensive depends on...
    How much you make
    How much you ride
    What your other spending priorities are
    How OFTEN you buy a bike

IMHO, $800 for a frame with no moving parts made from the least expensive material and the easiest, most forgiving manufacturing process is way too much unless it's some kind of custom frame.

mtbr member
    There is a difference between willing and able to buy something nice. I may be able to purchase a $1000 frame but I try to find deals at half of that, I got other priorities too.

craigsj
    Money isn't the only value judgement to be made. Steel frame, made overseas, and eBay come to mind. What's important to some is irrelevant to others.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Lame thread.
    I admit, it's a pretty lame thread, BUT...

Splurging for XX over XO or XT over SLX seems dumb no matter how much you make. I admit, lighter is usually better but when you're spending extra hundreds of dollars just to shave a few grams and are getting nothing performance wise in return seems irresponsible That said, I have XO stuff instead of X9 so I'm a moron

I have an uncle that spends $xx,xxx.xx a year on POTTERY but it's his thing. From a logical standpoint, cheap tupperware from Target holds stuff just as well but he likes fancy pots so he blows more money than I make a year on the stuff

Village Dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX

I have an uncle that spends $xx,xxx.xx a year on POTTERY but it's his thing. From a logical standpoint, cheap tupperware from Target holds stuff just as well but he likes fancy pots so he blows more money than I make a year on the stuff
    What a boring hobby! Wow- look at that dish perform; it's keeping that food off the table like a mofo! Daaammmmmnnnn! Keeps liquids from spilling too!!??

But, most people see a $5k bike and see it basically doing the same thing as a $150 bike. Which is true. At least the only advantage of the expensive bike isn't just looks though.

(Yes- the expensive pottery is more durable, too, but you aren't stranded in the woods if your cheap bowl breaks)
    Last edited by @dam; 01-25-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Is dang happy!
    A fool and his $ are ...
    I know it is all relative but I have spent my dough on some silly crap and had buyers remorse even after lot's of research.
    What is expensive to me is chump change to others. "Most" people think my $300 winter beater bike is crazy expensive when you can get a FS with gears at wallyworld for half that.

To me a $800 Taiwanese frame is expensive but I can Pro-Form a brand new 30 speed MTB with TA Fox and hydros for that, so you see it is completely relative.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    I$800 for a frame with no moving parts made from the least expensive material
    I got the impression the OP was referring to the 853 reynolds frames mentioned in the other thread (MCR/SIR)..not paying $800 for a monocog frame

Former Bike Wrench
    I don't think where it's made is as important as the quality. Case in point...I got first hand information that for years the expensive steel road frames coming from Italy were what they considered seconds but that US buyers were so enamored with "Italian Steel" that they'd pay premium prices.

I've seen Taiwan steel frames using top quality steel (Reynolds, True Temper, Tange) that were every bit the equal of US made frames costing more. If that is the case then it may be worth the price. On the other hand, if all things are equal (say Niner MCR vs Gunnar Rockhound) I'd probably take the US made product.

mtbr member
    I won't put up with stuff that isn't reliable or doesn't perform well but I won't usually pay more for bling or weight, which is were the real price difference is. My most expensive frame cost $230 (Inbred) and my nicest fork is a Tora 318. My $150 BikeIsland steel frame and $20 used steel rigid fork are performing well too.
    Last edited by boomn; 01-25-2011 at 01:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Something cheep will break and need to be replaced over and over. Something inexpensive lasts longer and does not need to be replaced over and over. In the long run, inexpensive usually costs a lot less than cheep. At least as far as riding a bicycle off road goes.

Apr 2007
    My idea of cheap = Nashbar frame, and expensive = IF

I like to stay in the middle somewhere, which is why I have a Jabberwocky.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Lame thread.

at least it isn't another ''how much tire pressure should I run" thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    at least it isn't another ''how much tire pressure should I run" thread.
    How much tire pressure SHOULD I run?

I go middle of the road and sometimes higher in what most people consider high end to low end bikes. I make a point of trying to get the best stuff for my $. consequently I have a couple of high end bikes but the cost me what a budget bike would because I've been able to find stuff on closeout or through friends, etc. I certainly could not/would not afford what my bikes go for in an LBS.

mtbr member
    Rather than trying to set some kind of monetary baseline,I tend to look more at the value of an item.

Cheap = Value > Price
    Expensive = Value < Price

Value is subjective, but I try to use time as a benchmark. If I buy a frame for $1500 and it lasts me 6 years, that's $250 a year or $20 a month. Then I ask myself, "Was that frame worth the $20 a month I paid to ride it?" If yes, cheap. If not, expensive.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    It amazes me how many people on this board think $800 for a steel frame is too much or too much for something made overseas. Some of you nickel and dime on everything, ebay this and that. Then some people are more like me and just like nice stuff and are willing to pay a fair price for it. So what are you willing to pay for a bike, what can you justify but can't afford?

<sits back with some coffee>
    I ride a Jamis hardtail 29er that I got from Jenson for around $800 a couple years ago.
    Over the last couple of years I've gradually built the bike up with decent parts like Tru Ativ GXP cranks, carbon riser bars, nice wheels, etc.

Everything I've purchased as been either used, from ebay, or from an online store at some discount, sales tax free, or free shipping.

The reason I do it is because as someone who rides and races motorcycles, I have a hard time understanding why a bicycle can cost as much as a motorcycle. The bicycle industry, IMO, is completely fuked up, from the frame builders, to the aftermarket to the LBS, so I will continue to buy online, watch ebay, and try and snag used gear when guys like you are done with it.

Most of the technology in the industry trickles down from the already established motorcycle industry. Most of the people in the industry come from the MC industry. Most of the parts are manufactured overseas, and low and behold we are still being asked to buy $2 to $5k bikes and pay $600 for a decent set of forks.

WTF?

Members who have read this thread: 0