What's up Wolverine?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What's up Wolverine?

Anyone else finding that the Wolverine wears out very quickly?

I put a Wolverine on the rear of my 29er maybe a month and a half ago and was pretty happy with it initially. Good volume and soft but stable sidewalls gave it a nice feel, and it rolls fast too. Grip was fairly good on our hardpack and loose over hard, but that changed within only a couple weeks. I don't think it has worn down much more than 1/16", but the flattish shape of the tire means it has worn the edges off both the center and transition knobs and that change seems to have transformed into it into an unpredictable tire that slips on standing climbs and occasionally slides out without warning on non-aggressive turns and even off-camber straight lines.

To be honest I think it could be a case of a tread design that just isn't good for my locale but the fresh, sharp edges were helping it put on a brave face. However, the pretty similar (but rounder) WWLT didn't do this to me in the time I used one as a rear tire, and it didn't seem to change as I used it either.
    Last edited by boomn; 05-17-2011 at 01:39 PM.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I rode one for six months that had already been used for a month or so, 4 to 7 days a week, and liked it a lot. Worked great in my neck of the woods. All things considered, probaly as good as any front tire I have used.

Used the regular 2.2" x 29" Wolverine tire, ran tubeless on Stans Flow rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I rode one for six months that had already been used for a month or so, 4 to 7 days a week, and liked it a lot. Worked great in my neck of the woods. All things considered, probaly as good as any front tire I have used.

Used the regular 2.2" x 29" Wolverine tire, ran tubeless on Stans Flow rims.
    Would you like another?

I noticed you're in SoCal so your terrain probably isn't that different than my NorCal trails. More than anything these kinds of differences just make me curious about riding style, tread design, etc and how they all fit together. I did talk to someone at the lbs and he said the same exact thing regarding that tire on our trails: that it stopped working right after only a couple weeks

Members who have read this thread: 0