What's the lightest 4.5" travel 29er?- Mtbr.com
    Village Dirtbag

What's the lightest 4.5" travel 29er?

I have a Blur Classic w/4.5" of travel. I was set to get an LTc, but am now thinking of going 29er instead. I wanted a better ride, so I'd like something with at least as much travel as my Blur.

Right now, the RIP9 and Tallboy are at the top of my list. I love the RIP- very confidence inspiring, and great ride. However, it's HEAVY. The Tallboy also is a great ride, but I wish it had a bit more travel, slightly slacker angles, and wasn't so expensive.

Any other recommendations for a 29er trail bike, around the low $4k range?

Naturally Organic
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29er

Rocky Mountain Altitude 29er

GF Rumblefish

Just to name a few...

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Lenz Behemoth. I believe there is a Dirtbag (or an associate Dirtbag) that has a Lenz. PM me if you need more information.

In my experience, I've found that frame weight matters less to me than having the fit and handling I prefer. And that having light wheels and the right tires for the terrain affects performance more than a frame that weighs 1/2 or 3/4 pound more.

Village Dirtbag
    Thanks. Do I know you IRL? I know which Dirtbag M-dub is, but not you.

The RIP probably fits better. I'm between L and XL on the Tallboy, the the L RIP is about right. However, it's OVER TWO POUNDS heavier. That's pretty substantial, and would be hard to make up.

I'll check out the Lenz. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29 in medium weighs 28 pounds with reflectors and tubes deleted and cheap Shimano SPD pedals added. Not really light, but not too bad. You could easily drop a couple pounds with new wheels, seatpost, pedals, etc without spending a ton of money.

Members who have read this thread: 0