What wheels are on this bike?- Mtbr.com
    Nat
    mtbr member

What wheels are on this bike?

Are those red aluminum spokes a la Industry9? Does Industry9 make 29" wheels using Stan's rims?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I think they are I9's as I was considering a set of their wheels and they said they could do them up with Stan's rims.

Sweet ride? Who's is it?

OK, back to the Olympics!

Cheers!
    -Ian

Peace & Love
    Yes....they do.

I am actually torn between King or Industry Nines for my next bike....will decide early next week.

As far as the rims they use, the choices are the following:
    * DT Swiss TK
    * Stans
    * Salsa Delgado Disc

They are very professional and are extremely courteous.

Another big plus, unlike King, is that they can make custom colors readily available it sounds. They sent me a swatch of custom colors (ie, colors other than their standard red, silver, black). Of course there is an upcharge for custom but to have custom spokes and hubs is so sweet. The hubs engagement is unbelieveable too (120 I think).....not that I care too much about that but it sure does not hurt.

cheers

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes
    Well, I guess I'll take this one since it's my bike. Yes, those are Industry Nine wheels. John K. at Industry Nine custom built a set of wheels for us using Stan's rims. These wheels are awesome and I can't say enough about the guys at Industry Nine.

They can build up any rim you send them. I'm not sure what the charge is for getting a wheelset when you supply the rim, but they will build them up for you. Give them a call if you are interested and John will take care of you. Tell them Steve from Niner sent you.

Steve
    Niner Bikes
    Thanks for the info Steve. Will you be offended if I build a bike that looks remarkably similar to yours (cuz it's starting to head that way)?

You wouldn't happen to know at what weight those wheels weighed in, would you? Lots of alliteration from this lad late at night.
    Last edited by Nat; 02-11-2006 at 09:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Are those red aluminum spokes a la Industry9? Does Industry9 make 29" wheels using Stan's rims?
    Well, I guess I'll take this one since it's my bike. Yes, those are Industry Nine wheels. John K. at Industry Nine custom built a set of wheels for us using Stan's rims. These wheels are awesome and I can't say enough about the guys at Industry Nine.

They can build up any rim you send them. I'm not sure what the charge is for getting a wheelset when you supply the rim, but they will build them up for you. Give them a call if you are interested and John will take care of you. Tell them Steve from Niner sent you.

Steve
    Niner Bikes

Peace & Love
    Oh man Paul!!!

I had no idea they did single speed hubs.

This may be the new king of the mountain!

Sep 2005
    I want em', I want em'. I saw on their site they have singlespeed hubs. Anybody know anything about those?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauliemon
    I want em', I want em'. I saw on their site they have singlespeed hubs. Anybody know anything about those?
    Where'd you see that? All I get is All Mountain, Enduro, and Freeride/DH options.

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Oh man Paul!!!

I had no idea they did single speed hubs.

This may be the new king of the mountain!
    I know and there is no info on the site. Just that teaser "29er and singlespeed" sitting there. The two things I want to know about. I love my Kings but those alloy I9 spokes are the kine. I hope they let me build my own.

Sep 2005
    Where'd you see that? All I get is All Mountain, Enduro, and Freeride/DH options.
    On their site. It's off to the right and faded. Nothing happens when you click on it. I figure these guys are so busy they don't have time to update their site.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Steve. Will you be offended if I build a bike that looks remarkably similar to yours (cuz it's starting to head that way)?

You wouldn't happen to know at what weight those wheels weighed in, would you? Lots of alliteration from this lad late at night.
    Absolutly not offended. Quite the opposite really.

The wheels weighed in at just over 1600 grams for the set. Amazingly light. And yes, they can do SS as well (smaller cassette body ala King, DT and American Classic). I had the hubs done in Pewter to match the rims, but this color may be an upcharge (I think, but might be wrong, that their stock anodized colors are red, black, and silver. They can litterly do any ano color in the spectrum, but it costs extra).

Steve
    Niner Bikes

Peace & Love
    but then are you gonna get a Mango headset too?

Sep 2005
    Absolutly not offended. Quite the opposite really.

The wheels weighed in at just over 1600 grams for the set. Amazingly light. And yes, they can do SS as well (smaller cassette body ala King, DT and American Classic). I had the hubs done in Pewter to match the rims, but this color may be an upcharge (I think, but might be wrong, that their stock anodized colors are red, black, and silver. They can litterly do any ano color in the spectrum, but it costs extra).

Steve
    Niner Bikes
    Thanks Steve. I'm thinking black/mango with Stans for this bad boy.

Sep 2005
    but then are you gonna get a Mango headset too?
    No but I may get mango spacers. BAH-LING!

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauliemon
    Yeah, i have a pair. They're great. They engage as quickly as any King, and the wheels are super-stiff.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djcrb9
    Yeah, i have a pair. They're great. They engage as quickly as any King, and the wheels are super-stiff.

Black/gold, nice. So the gold spokes have an upcharge?

Recovering couch patato
    Who knows how the alu spokes compare in weight to steel? I know they are thicker.
    And how do they compare in stiffness?

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Who knows how the alu spokes compare in weight to steel? I know they are thicker.
    And how do they compare in stiffness?
    Good question....hope Fred does not mind me posting this snippet from the FAQ he sent, but here is some of their info accordingly:

:: Aluminum Spokes? How can they be as strong as steel?

By starting with a 20-25% larger cross-sectional area, our machined 7075-T651 aluminum is equal in strength to any 14 gauge or 14/15 DB spoke available. In many ways, the Industry Nine spoke is much stronger, because we have removed all the weak points (known as stress risers) inherent in the design of a traditional hooked steel spoke. <O</O

First, the spoke has no bend. This is nothing new, but remains an intelligent design. Most steel spokes fail either at the middle of the bend, or the first thread at the nipple end. By eliminating the bend altogether, the spoke is instantly less prone to fatigue stress failure. <O</O

Second, the root diameter of the Industry Nine one-piece spoke is actually larger than the diameter of the length of the spoke. Other spokes fail at the first thread because the root diameter (the bottom of the thread’s “V”) is actually the smallest diameter of the spoke, just where slight relative motions of the nipple apply additional bending forces. <O</O

Nat
    mtbr member
    Good question....hope Fred does not mind me posting this snippet from the FAQ he sent, but here is some of their info accordingly:

:: Aluminum Spokes? How can they be as strong as steel?

By starting with a 20-25% larger cross-sectional area, our machined 7075-T651 aluminum is equal in strength to any 14 gauge or 14/15 DB spoke available. In many ways, the Industry Nine spoke is much stronger, because we have removed all the weak points (known as stress risers) inherent in the design of a traditional hooked steel spoke. <O</O

First, the spoke has no bend. This is nothing new, but remains an intelligent design. Most steel spokes fail either at the middle of the bend, or the first thread at the nipple end. By eliminating the bend altogether, the spoke is instantly less prone to fatigue stress failure. <O</O

Second, the root diameter of the Industry Nine one-piece spoke is actually larger than the diameter of the length of the spoke. Other spokes fail at the first thread because the root diameter (the bottom of the thread’s “V”) is actually the smallest diameter of the spoke, just where slight relative motions of the nipple apply additional bending forces. <O</O

Oh crud, he said "intelligent design."

Recovering couch patato
    Thanks Fo!
    Hmmm, let's say 25% thicker all the way than a 2.0 straight spoke. That would amount to 56% more material. Aluminum is ~1/3 the weight of steel. 64 straight gauge steel spokes add up to some 430g (guess). This brings the total for aluminum to a very rough 223g total. Insanely light. Can't be right. I need real spokes weights! Of course they can only be used with their own hubs, which may be similar in weight to Chris King?
    Crossmazz is just sooo dull in comparison...

Art is Resistance
    Black/gold, nice. So the gold spokes have an upcharge?

Yeah, i think the gold spokes were a bit more. There's one black spoke on each wheel, they didn't get enough done in time or something, so they shipped me two gold spokes separately. The whees have been nothing but perfect for me. Wheel upgrades are always nice. Weigh savings you can feel on the bike!

twinkie
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Thanks Fo!
    Hmmm, let's say 25% thicker all the way than a 2.0 straight spoke. That would amount to 56% more material. Aluminum is ~1/3 the weight of steel. 64 straight gauge steel spokes add up to some 430g (guess). This brings the total for aluminum to a very rough 223g total. Insanely light. Can't be right. I need real spokes weights! Of course they can only be used with their own hubs, which may be similar in weight to Chris King?
    Crossmazz is just sooo dull in comparison...

The Industry Nine spokes weigh about 4 grams each, about the same as a DT Revolution. But MUCH stonger and MUCH stiffer. The rear hub is a little heavier than a King (30 grams or so) and the front is a little lighter. Weighed as pairs I believe the Kings were just under by 10 grams or so.

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by losjefes
    The Industry Nine spokes weigh about 4 grams each, about the same as a DT Revolution.
    Are you factoring in the fact that the spokes don't require nipples? Just curious. I know they're pretty light as a set, and so far really strong.

twinkie
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by djcrb9
    Are you factoring in the fact that the spokes don't require nipples? Just curious. I know they're pretty light as a set, and so far really strong.

If I remember correctly a Rev. spoke weighs between 4 and 5 grams including an alloy nipple. Our spokes weigh 4 grams on average. Does this answer your question?

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by losjefes
    If I remember correctly a Rev. spoke weighs between 4 and 5 grams including an alloy nipple. Our spokes weigh 4 grams on average. Does this answer your question?

Sure does, thanks! I'm already sold, though. Of course, with all the color combinations, another set might be cool...

Sep 2005
    [QUOTE=djcrb9]Yeah, i have a pair. They're great. They engage as quickly as any King, and the wheels are super-stiff.]/QUOTE]

That's what I'm talkin' about! Those are sweet. Oh well, one King SS Disc hub for sale. They won't blow up if I put a King Kog on em' will they?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had the hubs done in Pewter to match the rims, but this color may be an upcharge (I think, but might be wrong, that their stock anodized colors are red, black, and silver. They can litterly do any ano color in the spectrum, but it costs extra).
    Hey Steve, or anybody that might have a picture, can you post a close-up of the pewter color I9 hubs?

Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0