what tires can be safely run stans rims tubeless?- Mtbr.com
    bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

what tires can be safely run stans rims tubeless?

(on)

Apr 2007
    It's right on their website

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    It's right on their website
    And the only ones they guaranty will work are their own (the only tires designed for tubeless use on their rims).
    Check the disclaimer
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    cool, thx

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Stans rims will work with just about any non-tubeless/non-UST tire as long as you use sealant. I, along with countless other riders/racers have been using stans rims for years with just about any tire combination you can imagine. However, tires with paper thin sidewalls aren't always the best candidates to run tubeless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My Maxxis Aspens work flawlessly so far on Stans 355's and are my first foray into tubeless. Sealed easily, lose less air than tubes over time too, and after many many hours on them since January, I gotta say I'm fairly pleased with the simplicity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21
    Stans rims will work with just about any non-tubeless/non-UST tire as long as you use sealant.
    ....and Stan's rims work even better with any UST, TLR, TNT, 2Bliss etc. with only yellow tape. They seat and inflate even easier than on UST rims. The bead requires a fair effort to unseat when deflated.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Run 'em all and let God sort em out

I am running Kenda Nevagal & a Smallblock Eight on my Epic 26er, and Racing Ralphs on my 29er. The 29er was a ***** to mount the first time.

Brought the wheel into my shop down the road filed with gooo with one bead on and asked them to use the compressor. Well white spooge starts ejaculating everywhere and they told me it wasn't a tubeless tire (they are french so forgive them) I went back and saw that ALL 29 tires can run with Stan's rims and read through the install stuff

Turns out I didn't install the tape right - not a clean surface and not enough tension on the tape install. re-did the tape with a scruff pad, cleaned it with alcohol, mounted the tire with a tub and filled it up to 45 bounds to push the tape into the rim - had a couple of beers, waited an hour and took the tire off. Filled it up with the white spew again, and went down the road again. Little liquid courage, and my iPad showing them all tires work so they'd let me use the compressor again and wall-ah heard that pleasing pop and snap as the bead set and she's sealed up like Obama's birth certificate ever since. That was two weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I agree that most tires do work. Some are better than others. I can highly recommend Maxxis Ardent 29ers for several reasons, one of which is how well they run tubeless on my Flows. Seal easily, no white fluid leaking through sidewalls, hold air, no burps.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    ....and Stan's rims work even better with any UST, TLR, TNT, 2Bliss etc. with only yellow tape. They seat and inflate even easier than on UST rims. The bead requires a fair effort to unseat when deflated.

Ronnie.

this answered my question best. I guess I was wondering what bead type would work with stans rims. It sounds like any tire with some type of tube less designation will adhere to the
    bead of the stans rim better than a standard run of the mill tire.

Full fledged member
    I have heard that UST and TNT tires are difficult to mount on Stans.
    1.21 Gigawatts

rth009
    May 2010
    I've had excellent luck with Panaracer Rampage 29 X2.35 on Stans Flow rims. I live in rocky, goathead, cactus land and have not had a flat once in over 500 miles. They sat motionless from November to March and didnt need any air.

mtbr member
    "It sounds like any tire with some type of tube less designation will adhere to the
    bead of the stans rim better than a standard run of the mill tire."

I've never had any problem whatsoever with a standard kevlar bead tire.
    I'm super, thanks for asking...

This place is wasteland
    Old schwalbe RR 2.4 works well... new TLR Schwalbe RR2.4 is too tight and blows off easily.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie

Ronnie.
    Mounting a Geax TnT on a Notubes rim is not easy:
    http://twentynineinches.com/2011/05/...e-try-part-ii/
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Mounting a Geax TnT on a Notubes rim is not easy:
    http://twentynineinches.com/2011/05/...e-try-part-ii/
    I agree that some tubeless ready tires are difficult to get onto Stan's rims. I had to use a tire lever to get the second bead of my Nobby Nic 2.25 on my Flow. The Nobby Nic 2.35 on the front went on by hand.

"bt" asked about what tires to run safely on Stan's rims. All the designated tubeless ready tires I have tried work at least as well as the UST and TLR tires I used on my 26" UST rims.

Personally, I'll never use a non-tubeless tire without a tube.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009
    I've had excellent luck with Panaracer Rampage 29 X2.35 on Stans Flow rims. I live in rocky, goathead, cactus land and have not had a flat once in over 500 miles. They sat motionless from November to March and didnt need any air.

I run the same tires and will be getting flows soon. Did you use the flows rim strips, or did you just do rim/tape/sealant?
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

Rigid in Evergreen
    No problems with Maxxis Aspens and WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT for me.

Bro Mountainbiker
    ardents and rampages go on smooth to the flows(29)
    No issues yet
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Members who have read this thread: 0