mtbr member
    Jan 2010

What size tires max for 2012 Specialized Epic Aluminum 29" frame?

I got a totally stock 2012 Specialized Epic Aluminum bike recently, a 29er. The tires on it now are old 1.95" and very warn down. Reviews on the bike indicate that it originally came with 1.95". I gotta get new tubeless tires. Most are wider today, and I'd like to go wider for the traction. I'd estimate that the frame is about 2.5" wide at the max width area of the tires, if that makes sense. In other words, 2.5" tires would just about be riding against the frame and/or forks if I put that size on... Wondering what size should be the max width I should go with and be safe, not have mud lock up the front tire and send me over the handlebars. A local dealer sold me some new 2.3" or so (haven't installed them yet) and I'm thinking that's probably too wide so I'll take 'em back. Wondering what size should be the max width I should go with for this bike. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dniemeye View Post
    I got a totally stock 2012 Specialized Epic Aluminum bike recently, a 29er. The tires on it now are old 1.95" and very warn down. Reviews on the bike indicate that it originally came with 1.95". I gotta get new tubeless tires. Most are wider today, and I'd like to go wider for the traction. I'd estimate that the frame is about 2.5" wide at the max width area of the tires, if that makes sense. In other words, 2.5" tires would just about be riding against the frame and/or forks if I put that size on... Wondering what size should be the max width I should go with and be safe, not have mud lock up the front tire and send me over the handlebars. A local dealer sold me some new 2.3" or so (haven't installed them yet) and I'm thinking that's probably too wide so I'll take 'em back. Wondering what size should be the max width I should go with for this bike. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave
    Dave. I bet the 2.3 fit without any problem. But you have to think what do you run more. Wider tire means more friction less speeds, if you runs trails I donít go wider than 2.2, if cross country 2.3 and up depending, but is matter of taste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dniemeye View Post

Dave

2.25 is the widest you can sensibly run without rubbing. You can fit a 2.35 in the rear of an epic, but it'll rub on the inside of the chainstays while cornering + debris etc.

This is on the standard Roval Control SL wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    On my 2013 Epic Comp I'm running a 2.4 Ardent up front...