What should i get my lady?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

What should i get my lady?

OK, so I am going to get my girl her first MTB for Christmas. She has zero experience on a mountain bike, but loves going to watch me race etc and mentioned she'd like to give it a shot. this being said 500 bucks is my limit. She's 5'6" and maybe a buck fourty. Think i should try to put her on a low end 29er? or should i go 26? why ? etc?

Never trust a fart
    First off, don't buy her a bike. Take HER to your LBS and let her try out some bikes. Let HER pick out the bike she likes. Then you purchase the bike that SHE selected.

RYB
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    She's pretty small so I would say a 26er would be great for her (and your wallet).

+1 to frdfandc. Girls are complex. If she likes how it looks and feels then she is more likely to ride it..........

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    My wife is 5'8" and started on a 26". I built her a 29er as a surprise for Valentine's Day and the 26er is now collecting dust. She says the 29er is much easier to ride, is much more capable rolling over things, smoother and makes the overall ride more enjoyable. My $.02...

mtbr member
    I agree with the above posters. I would take her to a LBS and with your knowlege, let her pick out what she wants to ride. A woman is like a 2 year old race horse, you never know what they are thinking.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

Kathleen in AZ
    Does she have long legs and and a short torso? If so, she'd love a size small 29er. Long torso? Go with a 26er. Let her demo and pick out the one. $500 is pretty cheap though... how much did you spend on your bike?

Dirty South Underdog
    I say screw a 26. The 29er is a great confidence builder for beginners. I'm the same size, and I have no issues with 29er geo. I'd say that if you can only spend $500, go for something used with nicer parts. The components on a new $500 bike are going to be heavy and lower quality.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=719870

As for 26er vs. 29er, let her decide when she goes to the LBS. Turns out, my wife didn't care about anything except the paint job, lol. But if that makes her happy and proud of the bike, then she'll ride it more.

She got a Specialized Myka HT and really likes it.

mtbr member
    I don't think the 29 vs 26 thing is legit anymore. We have a Trek Mamba WSD in the smallest 14.5" size and she loves the 29" wheel over the 26" bike she was riding before. I don't think the sizing discussion is always true, especially with the women's specific designs from the various manufacturers.

That said, I agree with the "take her to the LBS and let her test them and pick it out". Maybe you could get pictures of various models you're thinking of and package that and 5 Benjamins in your box? :-)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    sadly none of our LBS carry 29ers....we are in southern MS....I'll just shop around i s'pose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Bike shops need to offer more options to people. In Arkansas, my local shops carried nothing but 29ers. I was actually interested in a few 26ers. I got my 29er by default, really. The owner of the shop even told me that they didn't even support 26ers anymore.

I thought that was crazy... and maybe a bit asinine? Seems to still be a lot of 26er guys on here, especially in DH/AM areas.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I like the choices. But for me..6'6" 255lbs, the 29er just makes sense.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    DO NOT BUY HER A BIKE. The purchase of a bike for someone else who has never really been mountain biking is a bad idea, especially if that person is your lady friend. Think about it. She'll feel like she's obligated to ride it, and you'll expect her to ride it, and if she doesn't like it, then your not going to like her, and it's just a bad road to go down.

mtbr member
    I got my wife her first MTB last week and there is no way I would choose a bike for her. I've been down that road before with other interests. Didn't end well, her irritated and me wasting my hard earned cash on something she wouldn't use.

When said she was interested in riding I picked a slow Saturday and asked if she wanted go try some bikes out. So we spent the day going from shop to shop she picked what she wanted and she's happy.

But I'll throw this out there....

If you really want to surprise her you might be able to try the stealth approach. Some of the shops around me rent bikes. I'd guess someone near you does too. Maybe suggest to her that you rent her a bike one weekend, pick an easy trail to start and pack a nice lunch for her and make a day of it. You get a day of biking and you look like the awesome caring dude you are. Good job Kyle.
    Truth is, not only are you doing that but you are getting intel for your surprise.

So to rent a bike she's going to have to get it fitted to a certain degree, it'll give her the time to ask the LBS a lot of questions (I suggest you only be a passive observer in her conversation) and while riding she'll learn what she likes. Again, the truth is she's shopping for her own bike. That and a few orchestrated trips to bike stores to see what catches her eye could give you a really good idea on what to get her when the time comes. The hard part is doing all this and not blatantly tipping her off as to what's coming.

All that being said. It ain't gonna work for some ladies. Mine? No. My friend. Yes, he did the above and came out looking like a superstar. (I think he still owes me a beer for that) Be sure you know what kind your lady is. But if you insist on going down the surprise route I'd suggest you pick a LBS with a really good return policy.

Good luck

The Knights Who Say "Ni"
    Jun 2006
    In 1995 my fiancee (now my wife) wanted to learn to mountain bike since me and some friends were getting into it. I took her to a shop in Atlanta and let her loose. She picked out her own bike. She rode it until this past Christmas and she got her first full suspension 26er and loves it...

My advice....Step back, don't be bossy , set her loose (without a $500 cap) in the shop and you'll be happily married some day with a great girl who loves to ride with you! Worked for me 16 years later!

Trail Junkie
    There is a lot of angles to view this, but in all reality..blindly buying a mountain bike for someone who doesn't ride is sort of like picking out the color and surprising her with a Ford Aveo (no offense to anyone that drives one). She may not be into it to start with, but definitely won't be into it if she doesn't like the color. You have to worry about fit...which people are making a fuss about how tall she is and a fit on a 29er. I see ladies that are 5ft. even on 29ers, and a good friend's wife is on a Med SJ Comp 29 at 5'4". Size will be important, but I think if you are going to do it...take her to a shop just to look at stuff. While she follows you around, you go to the stuff that is in your pricepoint and ask how she likes it..and then get her on it, and ask her how it feels. Take no action, but take note. Then make a purchasing decision on it after when she isn't there.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    ...a Ford Aveo (no offense to anyone that drives one).
    No offense. No such thing as a Ford Aveo.

Let her pick it out!! She'll be much happier and you will be too.

My wife wanted to start shooting pistols with me. So, we got our concealed weapons permits. At the course, she shot our police chief's Glock .40. She aced it! Shot it like a pro! So, I thought, Gift idea!

I went out and bought her a Glock .45 (I hate .40s). She hated it. Absolutely couldn't shoot it. I wound up taking a hit on the thing and buying her a 9mm. Her $450 Glock wound up costing me closer to $700.

Let her pick it out. She'll be more proud of it, ride it more, and there won't be any psychological "he picked it out for me, so I can't tell him I hate it" bull **** going on.

Trail Junkie
    Thx John, didn't catch that, Chevy Aveo.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)