What I didn't want for Christmas!!!!- Mtbr.com
    Trail Junkie

What I didn't want for Christmas!!!!

I put in a big day of riding (maiden voyage on my Tallboy), I hit up 3 of the 4 trail parks in the area here in S. Florida, and had 38mi. on the bike when this happened! I dropped down into a ravine, and I think through the process the chain hopped over the derailleur cage. When I went to pedal at the top, it yanked the whole derailleur cage off, broke 2 spokes, bent 5 more..and the derailleur hanger was taco'd. I ended up having to carry my bike out 2 miles because the rear wheel would not even move Good thing the bike only weighs about 24lb.

So my brand new bike with one ride on it will be out for at least 3-4 days
    I just hope the Cassette isn't damaged!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What I didn't want for Christmas!!!!-tb13.jpg  

What I didn't want for Christmas!!!!-ouch.jpg  

Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Holy smokes !

Sorry to hear. Was it one of those 'shiat happens' moment, or what?!

Trail Junkie
    I guess I was due, I haven't had any equipment malfunctions on a couple years...I don't think it was a "$hit happens" moments, but I had to take it as such..not much I could do on the trail to fix it!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Is that a short cage derailleur? Are you running a 1x setup?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Was everything set up properly before you started?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver
    I put in a big day of riding (maiden voyage on my Tallboy), I hit up 3 of the 4 trail parks in the area here in S. Florida, and had 38mi. on the bike when this happened! I dropped down into a ravine, and I think through the process the chain hopped over the derailleur cage. When I went to pedal at the top, it yanked the whole derailleur cage off, broke 2 spokes, bent 5 more..and the derailleur hanger was taco'd. I ended up having to carry my bike out 2 miles because the rear wheel would not even move Good thing the bike only weighs about 24lb.

So my brand new bike with one ride on it will be out for at least 3-4 days
    I just hope the Cassette isn't damaged!
    A FRIENDLY FYI, if I may - a chain tool and shock pump should always be on you (or your bike). In the event of an emergency, like the one you had, you could always pump up the pressure in the shock to it's max recommended and convert the rear to a singlespeed to continue riding. Luckily you only had a couple of miles of walking. (eeewwwww)

That being said, sorry about your luck and glad to hear you weren't hurt! Good luck with the LBS.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

banned
    Sep 2007
    That hanger looks flexy. Also a good example of why I never want I-9 proprietary spokes on any of my wheels. Any bike shop should have what you need, probably a 293 to 290mm DT Swiss Comp or Super Comp spoke.

get down!
    They news to address that flexy hanger...XO too? Damn dude.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalmons
    Is that a short cage derailleur? Are you running a 1x setup?
    No its not and no he isn't. And even if it was people need to stop spreading this myth that you can't use a short cage with a 36t cassette. It all depends on what the front gear is.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    A FRIENDLY FYI, if I may - a chain tool and shock pump should always be on you (or your bike). In the event of an emergency, like the one you had, you could always pump up the pressure in the shock to it's max recommended and convert the rear to a singlespeed to continue riding. Luckily you only had a couple of miles of walking. (eeewwwww)
    It sounds like he also would have needed a spoke wrench. I wouldn't have ridden that wheel out the way it was(would you?), unless I could (temporarily) correct the wheel first. If he doesn't have the spoke wrench, he is probably better off walking.

Agreed though - always good to be able to ride out.

Ride and Smile suckas
    Sorry to hear. It could have been worse. you could have been riding a crappy bike for the 30+miles before the unfortunate snap!
    You'll be back in no time and hopefully no further issues with the TB in 2011.
    Happy riding in FL. We got 16 inches of the white stuff last night so consider yourself lucky you dont have to pull out the XC skiis to hit the trails.
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.nemba.org

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    It sure looks like something got stuck in there. Maybe it fell out before you saw what happened.

FM
    mtbr member
    I'd bet %90 chance that your chain was set up too short. Not problem until the suspension compresses fully (causing the chainstays to lengthen on VPP bikes) while in a bigger cog...at that point the derailuer hanger is absorbing the entire load through the chain. Hanger snaps and send derailuer into the spokes....

VPP/DW bikes always need a few extra chain links to absorb chainstay growth as the suspension compresses.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    It sure looks like something got stuck in there. Maybe it fell out before you saw what happened.
    That iS my thought too. The spring tension on the rear mech should have kept the chain in check during a g-out.......I'm thinking something got flipped up there, something similar happened to me a while ago. Sucks either way, particularly on a brand new ride! Was this at Marham?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Professional Crastinator
    So, uh, Merry Christmas?

I had the same thing back in July or so. Something went in there and my rear derailleur went from 4th cog all the way into the spokes. I tried to SS it but the chain had so many bends and kinks in it I couldn't get it to stay on any cog.

I suppose it is possible that the der. itself broke first and then went into the spokes. In any case you can see the lower cage is hooked on a spoke (OUCH!)

This picture is upside down as I was trying to untangle my chain.

4 mile walk. Nice day for it, I guess.

So then - Merry Christmas!
    It's good bike fixing weather up here. Stock up and save on el cheapo rear der's (and hangers!) to have on hand in an emergency. Minimize your down time.

-F

Trail Junkie
    Everything was dialed in perfectly. I ensured it was dialed in for the VPP..I have been riding Santa Cruz VPP since '05.

The R.Derailleur was a SRAM XO Med Cage. I have been running SRAM 2x10 since July with the only problem being chain drops off the front on a few occasions.

Carrying a bike pump and chain tool wouldn't have fixed that..the hanger twisted the RD around, broke 3 spokes, twisted the chain (which also has to be replaced..and its a 1091R) and rolled it back up under the chainstay.

Also..in regards to I-9 spokes..its fine to run those, just buy a few extra of each size.
    The Roval wheels are brand new and also have proprietary straight pull DT Swiss Supercomp spokes. For the meantime I have to use straight-gage 2.0 to get the bike running b/c DT Swiss U.S. distributor is closed until after New Years which is the only place to get to the spokes.

Total Cost so far:
    New SRAM PC-1091R $85
    New SRAM XO R/D $200
    DT Swiss Comp straigth $12
    Labor: ???
    I have a few extra hangers so I don't have to wait on those. My bike will be rideable tomorrow!

Still $300+ repairs..guess thats the cost to ride a $6,000 bike
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Possibly shifted over the 36 cog and caught the chain between the spokes and back of cassette? That looks like happened, would cause the rear der it get mangled, spokes, etc...

the test dummy
    that bike is cursed.... ill take it off your hands for you
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    That hanger looks flexy. Also a good example of why I never want I-9 proprietary spokes on any of my wheels. Any bike shop should have what you need, probably a 293 to 290mm DT Swiss Comp or Super Comp spoke.
    If you had Industry Nine wheels, you would also have the extra spokes that come with them. I have 9 extra I-9 spokes in my garage right now. Each wheelset comes with 4 extra spokes, plus I have a "sample" spoke they sent me for free to check out a particular color. I've been luckier than the OP so far.... I haven't broken a spoke yet.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    In my opinion, this is yet another argument in favor of riding a simple bicycle. The cost of your repair alone could buy you a reliable singlespeed, which would never give you a problem like this.

Newer technology is not necessarily better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2
    In my opinion, this is yet another argument in favor of riding a simple bicycle. The cost of your repair alone could buy you a reliable singlespeed, which would never give you a problem like this.

Newer technology is not necessarily better.

Just curious - Which is the more important reason you ride SS: Because you like the way it feels, pedals and rides? Or because it's older simpler technology?
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air
    Just curious - Which is the more important reason you ride SS: Because you like the way it feels, pedals and rides? Or because it's older simpler technology?
    Both!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2
    Both!
    I tried (unsuccessfully) to get you to choose which was the most important reason. Not to be argumentative, but because I suspect that while you enjoy the simplicity, the main reason you ride SS is because you like the way it rides - the simplicity is an added benefit. And I think thats how we all choose what to ride - by what feels best to us.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    - You should see my 2+ year-old I9 spokes......NONE have ever broke, some are bent and some have some awesome looking scars on them. Wheels? Tru and still taking a beatin'

No need to fear I9's but that's a different thread.....

Dub, sorry to hear about your new rig's issue.....Just a guess but I'd imagine your limit-screw was a little "off". Bummer.

I walk the line
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I'd bet %90 chance that your chain was set up too short. Not problem until the suspension compresses fully (causing the chainstays to lengthen on VPP bikes) while in a bigger cog...at that point the derailuer hanger is absorbing the entire load through the chain. Hanger snaps and send derailuer into the spokes....

VPP/DW bikes always need a few extra chain links to absorb chainstay growth as the suspension compresses.
    This guy knows what he's talking about. This looks like the classic busted derailleur from too-short of chain, and the fact that it happened in a G-out seals the deal. VPP bikes need a lot of extra chain.

Take your shock off, put on the chain that you had when busted, and fully cycle through your travel. You'll see.
    My girlfriend stole my hipster jeans.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

False.

Quote Originally Posted by BluKoolaide
    This guy knows what he's talking about. This looks like the classic busted derailleur from too-short of chain, and the fact that it happened in a G-out seals the deal. VPP bikes need a lot of extra chain.

Take your shock off, put on the chain that you had when busted, and fully cycle through your travel. You'll see.

Absolutely not true at all. I have built many VPP bikes and never used more than 1 extra full link from a fully-crossed drivetrain (big-ring/big-cog).
    "Never" saw a single bent/broken hanger from building nearly 100 Blurs/BlurLT's/VPFree's/Nomads this exact way.

Justin Vander Pol
    Nice ride you have there. I kinda agree with the guys about too short of chain, but who knows. It could of been a stick or something.

mtbr member
    I've heard that those tallboy hangers aren't the strongest. Time for a more stout one for sure.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air
    I tried (unsuccessfully) to get you to choose which was the most important reason. Not to be argumentative, but because I suspect that while you enjoy the simplicity, the main reason you ride SS is because you like the way it rides - the simplicity is an added benefit. And I think thats how we all choose what to ride - by what feels best to us.

The original reason I started riding singlespeed was for the simplicity, durability and lack of maintenance. I was busting derailluers left and right riding trials on both trials bikes and my regular mtn bikes, and making both of them ss was the easiest way to solve that problem. I do like how it rides, but the simplicity is still a major part of my continuing to refuse to put more than one gear on my bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Everything was dialed in perfectly. I ensured it was dialed in for the VPP..I have been riding Santa Cruz VPP since '05.

The R.Derailleur was a SRAM XO Med Cage. I have been running SRAM 2x10 since July with the only problem being chain drops off the front on a few occasions.

Carrying a bike pump and chain tool wouldn't have fixed that..the hanger twisted the RD around, broke 3 spokes, twisted the chain (which also has to be replaced..and its a 1091R) and rolled it back up under the chainstay.

Also..in regards to I-9 spokes..its fine to run those, just buy a few extra of each size.
    The Roval wheels are brand new and also have proprietary straight pull DT Swiss Supercomp spokes. For the meantime I have to use straight-gage 2.0 to get the bike running b/c DT Swiss U.S. distributor is closed until after New Years which is the only place to get to the spokes.

Total Cost so far:
    New SRAM PC-1091R $85
    New SRAM XO R/D $200
    I have a few extra hangers so I don't have to wait on those. My bike will be rideable tomorrow!

My dealer was able to get spokes for my Rovals from Specialized.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    Absolutely not true at all. I have built many VPP bikes and never used more than 1 extra full link from a fully-crossed drivetrain (big-ring/big-cog).
    "Never" saw a single bent/broken hanger from building nearly 100 Blurs/BlurLT's/VPFree's/Nomads this exact way.
    1 extra link is all that's necessary.

Trail Junkie
    I was in the 3rd or 4th cog at the time. When the derailleur caught, it pulled the chain back over the cassette. I wasn't in the 1st cog for it to overshoot. Also the screw was set so it didn't overshoot. Luckily the only damage to the frame was a couple of nicks on the paint just inside the chainstay. I know the chain was the correct length when I installed it because I used two known ways of determining the chain length: The equation and the Largest Cog-Largest chainring method and compared the results. Its ok to speculate what went wrong, in the end it was just a fluke incident. One that I do not wish to be repeated
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Time for a stronger hanger!!!
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member

Total Cost so far:
    New SRAM PC-1091R $85
    New SRAM XO R/D $200

Thats about 200 good reasons why I won't run XO stuff on any bike. I don't care if I have $6,000 into a bike. I go with X9 drivetrain all around. Works every bit as well as X0 for just a tad more weight, but WAY less money and better durability.

If you like to ride technical trails in Arizona, you can consider rear derailleurs to be disposable. It's just not worth the cash to fork out for stuff that is definitely going to get munched way before it is ever worn out.

My Ass is My Pilot
    time for a Single Speed!!!!!!!!
    B.O.S/S Shampoo Now with More No More Gears! 34/18
    Ride With B.O.S/S

Trail Junkie
    I am not so sure in that case that I wanted a stronger hanger. There might have been significantly more damage to the frame if it was.

The Tallboy, Blur LT Carbon, and the Blur XC Carbon (which I have sitting 10ft. behind me) all use the same hanger. I bent one hanger back in June when I scraped the R/D along a big rock. It was only a very small bend, but in the end, I would rather have a softer hanger than a broken chainstay!

I keep 3-4 hangers as spares, I still have 2 left but I'll order a couple more just to keep a rolling stock.

As for single speed...that means riding a hardtail and that also means a different bike. I have a F/S for a reason. Not to say, a single speed won't go all the same places..but it won't in the same amount of time or same distance....not without me feeling completely beat up. You can make the argument about simplicity, but gears and suspension were created for a reason.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    You can make the argument about simplicity, but gears and suspension were created for a reason.
    Yes, to motivate single speed evangelists to crap all over a thread that wasn't asking for their feedback at all!

Carbon & Ti rule
    I am not so sure in that case that I wanted a stronger hanger. There might have been significantly more damage to the frame if it was.

The Tallboy, Blur LT Carbon, and the Blur XC Carbon (which I have sitting 10ft. behind me) all use the same hanger. I bent one hanger back in June when I scraped the R/D along a big rock. It was only a very small bend, but in the end, I would rather have a softer hanger than a broken chainstay!

I keep 3-4 hangers as spares, I still have 2 left but I'll order a couple more just to keep a rolling stock.

As for single speed...that means riding a hardtail and that also means a different bike. I have a F/S for a reason. Not to say, a single speed won't go all the same places..but it won't in the same amount of time or same distance....not without me feeling completely beat up. You can make the argument about simplicity, but gears and suspension were created for a reason.
    I'm with you on this one,A single speed is a geart idea for a toy but not a main bike IMO.

I know its not the same over there but often over here when the SS guys say I like the simplicity they realy mean I DON"T HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY WHAT I REALLY WANT.

It is good that you ride what you want thats all that matters.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    Yes, to motivate single speed evangelists to crap all over a thread that wasn't asking for their feedback at all!

Ding ding ding! Right on the money!
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

Members who have read this thread: 0