What else should I consider?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

What else should I consider?

I'm looking around for a FS 29er. I think i want short travel (say, 130mm max?) because I'm in the midwest and it's not that rocky here. Currently my finalists are:

Marin Rift Zone (Carbon?)
    Canyon Neuron
    Ibis Ripmo AF (although I think this would be too much for my riding realistically and I know it's not in the same category as the other 2)

What else shoudl I be considering? I'd say my max budget is $3k.

I haven't test ridden anything except a Trek Fuel EX which was OK but expensive and I don't like the shop that sells them. Also I am fine with no shop support and in fact usually prefer it.

mtbr member
    Have you looked at the Trance 29 or Tallboy yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    No, but I'm looking now. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    2k ain't enough for a new FS bike, look used.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (in process)
    Fezzari Signal Peak (frame for Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    3K is my budget.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Definitely take a look at the Trance 29. I was never a big fan of Giant, but they nailed the 29er this second time around. Does everything well from XC to Trail. Good dollar to performance value and they actually have some good looking color schemes without the gaudy graphics...finally.

-If you're not in a hurry wait for the annual Giant spring sale.
    -If you are in a hurry, check Ebay as some left-over new 2019's have been popping up on close-out pricing. The 29-2 is in your price range and I've seen some going for under $2500.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by vegen View Post
    I'm looking around for a FS 29er. I think i want short travel (say, 130mm max?) because I'm in the midwest and it's not that rocky here. Currently my finalists are:

Marin Rift Zone (Carbon?)
    Canyon Neuron
    Ibis Ripmo AF (although I think this would be too much for my riding realistically and I know it's not in the same category as the other 2)

What else shoudl I be considering? I'd say my max budget is $3k.

I haven't test ridden anything except a Trek Fuel EX which was OK but expensive and I don't like the shop that sells them. Also I am fine with no shop support and in fact usually prefer it.
    Stumpjumper is similar to the Fuel.
    Santa Cruz 5010.
    Santa Cruz is a bit more spendy of course, but I think the aluminums fit your budget closely? Haven't looked at prices lately but the aluminum stumpy used to run $2400.

mtbr member
    How about:
    https://www.fezzari.com/signalpeak

Once you get past the name () people seem to really like them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    How about:
    https://www.fezzari.com/signalpeak

Once you get past the name () people seem to really like them.
    Hmm, yeah that comp looks to fit his budget and intended use very well.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Commencal Meta Trail
    https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-tr...19-c2x26304806

Canyon Neuron CF 8.0 (just a little over your budget)
    https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountai...ts-section-tab

Canyon Neuron AL
    https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountai...hmengroesse=XS

Yt Jeffsy 29 AL (140mm travel)
    https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/.../sCategory/511

Also, look on intense website you may see some discount sales on last year model of the premier or other models)

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Another vote for trance. Giant has fantastic value for that bike.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The Trance is RAD.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    The Trance is RAD.
    And still one of the better deals going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Trail Rider
    That 29 2 is a good deal. Usually at that price point you're having to settle for Sram NX or SX components and subpar suspension and something like Level T brakes.

Nice to see SLX 12 speed, 4 piston Shimano brakes and although entry level, nice Fox suspension for 2900.
    2020 SC Hightower

3 on the tree
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post

-If you're not in a hurry wait for the annual Giant spring sale.
    What kind of discounting happens? What month does this take place?
    Smog builds character.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Iím in the same boat, the Diamondback release 29 still keeps drawing me in on best bang for the buck

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Evil Following is a great 120mm travel bike that feels like it has much more squish than just 120. As far as straight up bombing and and bumpy stuff, the Evil is hard to beat. It's a little heavier than some and others don't regard it as top-class climber, but if you can spare a few extra bucks, you won't ever be disappointed IMO.

It's full carbon and you can get it at about $3800-$4500 depending on sale and build-out. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a good carbon bike for below $3k.

Or go my route and buy the frame for $1700 then buy your own components a la carte (works especially well when you get in with an LBS who hooks you up with great deals!). I've seen deals on SRAM GX drivetrain sets, which includes cranks, chain, rear derailleur, and cassette for around $500 (even less if you go NX). I'm predicting about $500 for my piecemeal drivetrain of a Descendant crank, Dub BB, X01 rear derailleur, 10-50T 12sp cassette, and chain (all SRAM eagle components). Then budget a couple hundred for front/rear brakes, $100-$150 for dropper and then spend about $700 for a set of I9 Enduro S wheel set. You should come in pretty close to budget.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Trek X-Caliber 8
    2019 Evil Wreckoning LB

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'd take a hard look at the Marin Rift Zone. Its killer value, and the geo on it is quite similar to the Norco Optic (which has been getting super good press lately, but is a touch out of your budget).

Another one to maybe consider is the Kona Process 134? 134mm of rear travel, 140mm front, geo similar to some of the others you're considering (66* hta, etc). The base model AL version is firmly in your price range. And if you can find a deal, the Deluxe (DL) version would likely be in your price range as well.

Good luck on the search .

mtbr member
    Spesh has the Stumpjumper ST at 1683. Drop another 200 on a OneUp dropper. The componentas are pretty basic though...but you can still just hop on and ride.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...ext=94718-7203

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTrekbek View Post
    Evil Following is a great 120mm travel bike that feels like it has much more squish than just 120. As far as straight up bombing and and bumpy stuff, the Evil is hard to beat. It's a little heavier than some and others don't regard it as top-class climber, but if you can spare a few extra bucks, you won't ever be disappointed IMO.

It's full carbon and you can get it at about $3800-$4500 depending on sale and build-out. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a good carbon bike for below $3k.

Or go my route and buy the frame for $1700 then buy your own components a la carte (works especially well when you get in with an LBS who hooks you up with great deals!). I've seen deals on SRAM GX drivetrain sets, which includes cranks, chain, rear derailleur, and cassette for around $500 (even less if you go NX). I'm predicting about $500 for my piecemeal drivetrain of a Descendant crank, Dub BB, X01 rear derailleur, 10-50T 12sp cassette, and chain (all SRAM eagle components). Then budget a couple hundred for front/rear brakes, $100-$150 for dropper and then spend about $700 for a set of I9 Enduro S wheel set. You should come in pretty close to budget.
    Plus $500-$1000 for a decent fork?
    2020 SC Hightower

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Was that price used? I'm not opposed to building my own at all, except that I'd probably end up spending more than I would otherwise. I can build my own wheels so I might be able to save a bit there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks, I'll check out the Kona. The Marin is probably my first choice at this point.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Was that price used? I'm not opposed to building my own at all, except that I'd probably end up spending more than I would otherwise. I can build my own wheels so I might be able to save a bit there.

I bought a Wreckoning when the frames were on sale for $1800. Iíve been adding my own components as I go and taking advantage of online deals (that I show my LBS and he price matches plus 10% ). Because heís also an Evil vendor, he is a great source for making sure I get the right sized/specíd pieces.

Not sure used, but I did find one on Jenson with an Eagle GX drivetrain for about $3k...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What else should I consider?-490cbed0-5036-4888-8d61-878e8e9401fe.jpg  

2019 Trek X-Caliber 8
    2019 Evil Wreckoning LB

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm enjoying my 2020 Orbea Occam h20. A lot more playful and capable than I expected. Not an Enduro bike but had my fastest time on a black diamond trail I'm used to riding...... faster than my hd4 which shocked me. Great trail bike with a bit extra travel. Stock wheels are heavy though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Some of these bikes are well spec'ed for the money. Especially if you find a 2019 at a shop. Offer an amount in cash that equates to 30% off the list + tax out the door. Talk money only with the manager/owner. Sales guys are trained to say no discount beyond the marked price is possible. A manager can do what he has to for a sale.

Now on to the choice. These bikes are all around 30lbs. because they're built to handle the mountain terrain 130mm rear travel lets you ride. They have to be heavy to take that beating. Midwest riders don't need that weight. Getting down into the 25lb. or lower range is completely adequate. And more fun on the local terrain choices. Plus you can use them on more difficult trails with good skills. I'd demo this travel range on your trails. If they take away the challenge you're not going to have as much fun. You won't ride as much lugging around the extra weight.
    I'd want a Scott Spark or Top Fuel.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2676498/ This is a $6k bike that weighs 23lbs. for $3600 listed today.
    If you've watched any XCO World Cup races these bikes can handle rough terrain. Just watch Nino.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Some of these bikes are well spec'ed for the money. Especially if you find a 2019 at a shop. Offer an amount in cash that equates to 30% off the list + tax out the door. Talk money only with the manager/owner. Sales guys are trained to say no discount beyond the marked price is possible. A manager can do what he has to for a sale.

Now on to the choice. These bikes are all around 30lbs. because they're built to handle the mountain terrain 130mm rear travel lets you ride. They have to be heavy to take that beating. Midwest riders don't need that weight. Getting down into the 25lb. or lower range is completely adequate. And more fun on the local terrain choices. Plus you can use them on more difficult trails with good skills. I'd demo this travel range on your trails. If they take away the challenge you're not going to have as much fun. You won't ride as much lugging around the extra weight.
    I'd want a Scott Spark or Top Fuel.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2676498/ This is a $6k bike that weighs 23lbs. for $3600 listed today.
    If you've watched any XCO World Cup races these bikes can handle rough terrain. Just watch Nino.
    Just my opinion but unless you're a hardcore weight-weinee or a pro, 90% of us are casual weekend warrior riders. you won't notice that much of a difference in 5lbs.
    2019 Trek X-Caliber 8
    2019 Evil Wreckoning LB

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just my opinion but unless you're a hardcore weight-weinee or a pro, 90% of us are casual weekend warrior riders. you won't notice that much of a difference in 5lbs.
    I feel the dif above 25lbs. when doing short full output climbs over rocks and roots. The kind where you may have to hike up if the bikes weight slows you down too much.
    The most important area to get the weight down is the fork and front wheel/tire.
    So this is all low speed stuff. These bikes you guys are listing aren't going be so noticeable for weight when you're going downhill faster or on long seated climbs. But I'm in the Midwest where my terrain is short steep ups and downs. So terrain matters. None of these bikes would work for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    There are deals out there if you look hard enough right now. With patience I was able to put together a brand new build with a Wreckoning, push 11-6, ohlins coil fork, shimano xt 12-sp, and dominion a4s for $4k.

For example you can get bomber z1 forks right now for $350 brand new from pros closet. A carbon frame for $1500-1600 is doable plus another $1500 for everything else.

You didn't specify what size you are but here are options

Orbea Occam 2019 $3000
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Orbea-Occam-TR-M30-Bike-2019

Ibis Ripley LS $3400 (call them up and they will give you a better discount)
    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/i...pyaXBsZXkgbHM=

Niner Rip9 (call for a lower price)
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Niner-Rip-...xclusive-Build

That niner is especially a killer price for a 12sp xt bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I appreciate the advice, but I'm not a small guy (6' 200-210), and an obese bastard like me on a 23-pound bike off road feels like the ultimate joke.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks! I've been specifically researching the Niner, it seems to be the previous frame design. Don't know much about Orbea but I will see what Google has to say.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks! I've been specifically researching the Niner, it seems to be the previous frame design. Don't know much about Orbea but I will see what Google has to say.
    The niner is the last gen frame. Since you are 6ft basically a L/XL would be good.

The Orbea Occam is a great bike. It's not a long and slack bike though which is the trend although I have yet to find that to be an advantage on shorter travel bikes. But regardless call Jenson up and they will most likely give you an extra discount. They dropped $300 from my Kona which was already on closeout when I called them.

mtbr member
    Iíd take a long look at the Canyon Strive. In the steep mode, itís 130/130 and rides like a solid capable trail bike. As you start to progress to bigger jumps and drops, you can hit clack mode (slack) and get 160/150mm enduro bike. The CF 6.0 is $3K:

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountai...nfarbe=BU%2FTQ
    Strive CF 8 / Farley EX 8
    2020 Dry January 2020 (success!)
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member

Thats what I did. I bought a new Following V1 in April 2019. I got the Rock Shox Yari used. Then pieced the bike together in the next couple weeks. Recently went Eagle X01 with the cassette, derailleur, and shifter. No regrets...the bike rips.

It basically replaced a 19.7 lb carbon hardtail. At first I was concerned about the weight gain (about 7lbs)...but it really wasn't all that bad. I'm not going to break my old PR's...but looking at my previous times up certain selections...I'm not really slower climbing on the Evil. I mean if I was racing at a competitive level...those few pounds would make a difference...since I don't...I'm not missing it too much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What else should I consider?-img_2143.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Iíd take a long look at the Canyon Strive. In the steep mode, itís 130/130 and rides like a solid capable trail bike. As you start to progress to bigger jumps and drops, you can hit clack mode (slack) and get 160/150mm enduro bike. The CF 6.0 is $3K:

The strive only changes travel in the rear.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post

If only it were in stock...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Lots of good choices listed already...the Neuron, Trance, and Rift Zone would be high on my list at that $ amount. Also take a look at the Whyte S-120CR at $3,199 for a carbon main frame...but likely no tax, free shipping, and free tubeless setup. I have the 2019 S-120CRS and am loving it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I feel the dif above 25lbs. when doing short full output climbs over rocks and roots. The kind where you may have to hike up if the bikes weight slows you down too much.
    The most important area to get the weight down is the fork and front wheel/tire.
    So this is all low speed stuff. These bikes you guys are listing aren't going be so noticeable for weight when you're going downhill faster or on long seated climbs. But I'm in the Midwest where my terrain is short steep ups and downs. So terrain matters. None of these bikes would work for me.
    I am in the Midwest as well and have never owned a bike under 30lbs (current bike is 33.4)..... If you are all about the climbs and only care that you can make it down techy descents then a hardcore XC bike might be the ticket. Personally I would not want the geo of an XC bike even it it is lighter than my current bike. Clearing a tech climb is pretty fun but not close to ripping a downhill section with jumps and drops.

The Fuel EX is pretty much the perfect "do it all" bike for the trails around me. I think it all depends on what the OP prioritizes. Do you want to slay the climb or the descent? Do you want something that is decent on both? Another thing to consider is if you are going to travel with the bike. I have shuttled DH trails within 3hrs drive and frequently make the weekend trip. If I had a 25lbs XC race bike I would blow that thing to pieces.

Wanted to add that I had a chance to demo a Kona Process 153 29 and that bike was a blast. It pedals, it descends. I am sure the 134 is similar just with a little less travel.
    Last edited by HowMaybesGo; 01-08-2020 at 10:27 AM. Reason: adding info
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2019 Trek Remedy
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2011 Trek Scratch Air 8
    2011 Reign 2
    2008 p.2

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by HowMaybesGo View Post
    I am in the Midwest as well and have never owned a bike under 30lbs (current bike is 33.4)..... If you are all about the climbs and only care that you can make it down techy descents then a hardcore XC bike might be the ticket. Personally I would not want the geo of an XC bike even it it is lighter than my current bike. Clearing a tech climb is pretty fun but not close to ripping a downhill section with jumps and drops.

The Fuel EX is pretty much the perfect "do it all" bike for the trails around me. I think it all depends on what the OP prioritizes. Do you want to slay the climb or the descent? Do you want something that is decent on both? Another thing to consider is if you are going to travel with the bike. I have shuttled DH trails within 3hrs drive and frequently make the weekend trip. If I had a 25lbs XC race bike I would blow that thing to pieces.

Wanted to add that I had a chance to demo a Kona Process 153 29 and that bike was a blast. It pedals, it descends. I am sure the 134 is similar just with a little less travel.
    I own a Process 153 29'er. Given how similar the Process 134 is in its geo (few mm longer chainstays, same HTA, almost identical wheelbase), I think the Process 134 would be a blast.

I'm not in the midwest now, but I lived there (southwest Ohio) for a total of ~6 years.

I wouldn't want a large bike like the new Specialized Enduro/Rocky Mountain Slayer out there, its true. And my current ~36lb Process (Large AL frame, low end build with heavy wheels/etc) would be a bit much as well.

But I don't think I'd want a true XC bike, unless I was actually wanting to race XC races at this point in my life. Otherwise bikes like the new Tallboy, Rift Zone, Optic would be what I think I'd want (clearly just guessing though). In Ohio we had lots of short steep hills, where the more relaxed geo and longer wheelbase would come in handy. But they are light enough, with small enough amounts of travel not to make it horrible on the climbs that inevitably come up right afterwards.

And most of the above bikes come in ~30-33lbs depending on the spec, which I think is fine. YMMV though of course.

Good luck on the search .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
    If only it were in stock...
    Oh, shit sorry, didn't even check the stock availability just posted the link. That's too bad as the Strive is a pretty awesome bike and really has quiver killing potential!

- Trail bike - Check
    - 29 Enduro - Check
    - 29+ All-rounder (confirmed 2.8F / 2.6R)
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
    The strive only changes travel in the rear.

This is 100% correct. I thought I read an article that stated the change in rear suspension and steeper seat angle made the front suspension an effective 135mm, but I can't find it, so I might have read that wrong. Regardless, as a Strive owner, I can tell you that hitting 'click' versus 'clack' is like riding two completely different bikes.
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member
    Another great bike to throw into the mix!

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles.../cat/occam-h20

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Lol ya right. 5lbs is a completely different feeling bike.

Maybe if you are 225lbs + you might not notice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Van Deventer View Post
    Lol ya right. 5lbs is a completely different feeling bike.

Maybe if you are 225lbs + you might not notice.
    I am 230 and I can notice the difference in ~2-3lbs of bike weight. I feel it would get harder and harder to guess weight the lighter the bike gets but pretty confident I could tell if I was testing them back to back. That being said, 25lbs is an XC race bike (or pretty close). A 30lbs bike is plenty light and playful on the trails. I couldn't imagine riding some trails for fun and saying to myself "Man..... I really wish I had a 25lbs bike right now".
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2019 Trek Remedy
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2011 Trek Scratch Air 8
    2011 Reign 2
    2008 p.2

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    3K is my budget.
    Which still ain't much, so you'll either get a price break groupo like NX and a low end fork like the Yari or you get yesterday's geometry and a bike no one wants.

If you aren't going to hammer on your bike, a good used bike, esp this time of year, could be had for 50% of the new price.

New is only new until you ride it.

Based on your budget, any new bike with decent group and contemporary geo will need to be mail order, so think Fezzari, Canyon, YT, etc...

Unfortunately, you won't have an easy time finding one to demo.

The absolute no brainer is to demo all the bikes you like, then find one used.

For the riding you do and at your size, I'd want a short travel 29er that was poppy and playful. Commonly available bikes that come to mind: Specialized Stumpjumper ST, Trek Fuel EX.

If you buy a price break bike with plans to upgrade, you'll spend significantly more in the long run, so not a good idea, better off buying used.

Most people do not have frame failures. I have had one after forty years of riding and I'm your size. The failure was a chainstay threaded insert, it was under warranty, but honestly it would have cost no more than a $100 to replace.

Don't overthink this, you are putting more time and effort than you have the budget to support, picking an ideal bike at 3k is not like picking one at 5k, choices are much narrower.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I am 140lbs and ride flatish trails with lots pedaling and bursty tech ups and downs.
    I feel the extra weight with every turn of the cranks.

What else should I consider?-img_20191223_123423198%7E2.jpg What else should I consider?-img_20191223_123401082_hdr%7E2.jpg

130/160 trail bike that pedals well and weighs 26.5lbs

I can put lighter tires on it and a xc fork and race xc.
    I can put my coil fork on it and big tires and do Enduro.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I can't believe we're talking about bike weight in a thread started by a guy on a 3k new bike budget.

Pick two:

Performance
    Price
    Weight
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I wasn't really responding to the op. He has already said he's a big guy so weight is less an issue for him.

I was more responding to some of the other posts.

For how and where I ride and my riding goals the weight makes a huge difference.

Also a bike like mine fully equipped with CK hubs Trickstuff brakes carbon cranks rims etc can still be done on 3k budget.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I wasn't really responding to the op. He has already said he's a big guy so weight is less an issue for him.

I was more responding to some of the other posts.

For how and where I ride and my riding goals the weight makes a huge difference.

Also a bike like mine fully equipped with CK hubs Trickstuff brakes carbon cranks rims etc can still be done on 3k budget.
    You must be riding a no brand bike, my GG carbon frame with shock ran $2700.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I like the American production of GG. But not all the branding on the bike. And it weighs the same as an alloy frame. For $2700 I'll pass.

But if it suits your terrain and you love it thats all that matters.

My trails bore me if I'm not going fast I would be bored on your bike because of my terrain.

And yes it's Chinese. Lightcarbon 958. But the Geo is spot on and it uses a 130mm flexstay suspension that's extremely stiff. Flexstay carry speed so well.

I put my intense up for sale the moment I saw it. Just checks all the boxes like when you've found the perfect girl.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

130/160 trail bike that pedals well and weighs 26.5lbs

I can put lighter tires on it and a xc fork and race xc.
    I can put my coil fork on it and big tires and do Enduro.
    Why aren't all enduro and XC pros riding this bike?
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2019 Trek Remedy
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2011 Trek Scratch Air 8
    2011 Reign 2
    2008 p.2

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by HowMaybesGo View Post
    Why aren't all enduro and XC pros riding this bike?
    Lol wat? I don't know why aren't they riding your sentinel?

I'll take a wild guess and say they ride what they are given? I know I'm going out on a limb here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'll just end this shit now. Ride whatever the **** you want. Don't try to turn this into a my bike vs yours. Already did this over tires a couple days ago and I'm done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I can't believe we're talking about bike weight in a thread started by a guy on a 3k new bike budget.

Pick two:

Performance
    Price
    Weight
    This.

Especially the new bike part.

I hear what others are saying when they mention being able to piece something together used for less, and have an even higher performance/nicer/lighter bike. Its true, that is an option.

However, for most new riders, especially those in places that aren't mountain biking hubs (where its "super" popular), decent used bikes/parts can be hard to find. Then, compounding that, is that new riders also may not feel as comfortable trying to decide if a used bike is in good condition or not (just less experience to draw from).

So buying new is often the better option, to mitigate the risks of buying something that looks nice, but has costly underlying issues, or that was a nice bike 10 yrs ago, and is good condition now... but has geo most today wouldn't consider ideal.

And when buying new, for a full suspension bike, at this price, you'll just end up with a heavy-ish bike. Its just the way it is right now.

It also depends on what style of riding you have, and enjoy.

Myself, I have a "very heavy" bike, and it doesn't bother me at all. The people I ride with are all slower than I am (we're all middle aged dads with small kids at home, so not saying much), so I'm waiting around at the top and its not like we time the climbs anyway. And most of the climbs I've been on here (PNW) are relatively smooth/steady incline climb trails. Would I like a lighter bike though? Sure. Just not enough to spend the cash on it atm.

And, at my riding weight (~200lbs), and budget, I'd rather have something that climbs a few seconds slower, and is more durable/long lasting (ie, I choose heavier casing tires, and am looking at really heavy duty rims). But I totally understand why others would not have that same preference.

Neither view is wrong. Just at the OP's budget, location, and experience level, I think it will be hard for him to find a sub 28-30lb bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Totally agree. Although I did manage to build my first new bike since the 90s 5 years ago. I did make some mistakes but I learned alot.

That being said not everybody wants to geek out about every part and angle of a bike. Some people just want to get out and ride.

I would put the op firmly in the latter category.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Lol wat? I don't know why aren't they riding your sentinel?

I'll take a wild guess and say they ride what they are given? I know I'm going out on a limb here.
    You said you can race your bike XC or enduro just by swapping some parts..... I never said my bike was a race bike but it is used as their enduro race bike. I would never ride my bike in an XC race but I do ride it on XC trails.

My vote is still for the Kona Process 134 or 153. I think both bikes are a great fit for the Midwest. The Fuel EX is also a great bike. Don't get hung up on weight. You don't need something that is sub 30lbs and it is likely whatever you get will not be over 33-34lbs. Focus more on the type of riding that gets you pumped and you enjoy. Then find a bike in your price range that has geometry that supports that riding style. Both bikes mentioned are well rounded.
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2019 Trek Remedy
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2011 Trek Scratch Air 8
    2011 Reign 2
    2008 p.2

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Np. My vote is a Trance.

Some options I finding for op.

This is a 27.5 forgive me but it's a great deal https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2646528/

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2671557/

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2702756/

A loaded Trance advance 1 with di2 and dvo suspension
    https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2643471/

Seriously just go to pinkbike buy/sell and search Trance.

Some of these are demos a couple with full warranty all are 2019 models.
    You'll get so much more for your money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just to clarify, I have been riding for decades. I'm just poor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Lots of good info here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks! I'm going to hold off for a while to get some demos in and hopefully raise up my budget some.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks! I'm going to hold off for a while to get some demos in and hopefully raise up my budget some.
    and just to further muddy the water ... I'm not saying a dated bike is a bad bike or that a low end groupo is not worth having, cuz it's hard to figure out what a person needs without being that person.

I may ride boutique frames, but all my bikes are built with aluminum parts and mid grade at that, no fancy stuff for this guy.

3k is enough money if you shop around and buy smart.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Op just needs to decide what he really wants. There's no such thing as a bike that will rip it going both up and down. Well actually there is, it's called a long travel e-bike. Buy that.