What company sells the most 29ers?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

What company sells the most 29ers?

Which company do you think has sold the most 29ers in the past 2 years? Gary Fisher / Trek? Specialized? Niner Bikes? I say recently because some companies have just entered the 29er market.

I proudly drive a Toyota Camry and shop at Sears. It is confidence inspiring to have something that is tried and tested by so many consumers. This is especially true for a relatively new trend like 29ers.

Closekids.com
    The world will never know....
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

the test dummy
    in ratio to 26s i gotta go with niner considering they only make 29rs
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

AZ
    banned
    Giant . More to the point , Giant probably built the most 29ers .

banned
    Sep 2007
    I think Gary Fisher has given away the most 29'ers under warranty. That SuperFly 100 is well known for breaking.

Naturally Organic

Customer Satisfaction...

Quote Originally Posted by common_man
    Which company do you think has sold the most 29ers in the past 2 years? Gary Fisher / Trek? Specialized? Niner Bikes? I say recently because some companies have just entered the 29er market.

I proudly drive a Toyota Camry and shop at Sears. It is confidence inspiring to have something that is tried and tested by so many consumers. This is especially true for a relatively new trend like 29ers.
    I personally would not disqualify other reputable companies that have a tremendous amount of bike experience and credibility (i.e. - Santa Cruz Tallboy) or have people leading a relatively newer company but have been in the business of bikes for decades (i.e. - Pivot 429)...just a thought, YMMV, FWIW, IMO...

poser Administrator

I sense a tongue in yer check my good sir. 1 internets for you!
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Closekids.com
    You actually probably have to look at distribution channels. Whoever has the most dealers/LBS probably sell the most bikes.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

banned
    I think it is Yeti!

L09erdr

New question here.

Way too hard to tell, and theres just so many.. Single speed vs ones with gears, hardtail, soft, fully rigid?

All of em are made by a few main companies. Everyone else just puts their name on someone elses part or frame.
    Last edited by L09erdr; 08-14-2010 at 07:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Pacific Cycle. Advertised 28" wheels are 29er.
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_d
    Pacific Cycle. Advertised 28" wheels are 29er.
    Yep, thats true.

The bottom line all those crappy bikes with 700c are really 29ers. Hate to break it to you.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    specialized or fisher probably. both make a bunch and both have tons of dealers.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Motobecane & Bikes Direct.

mtbr member
    My guess would be Fisher.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A from Il
    Yep, thats true.

The bottom line all those crappy bikes with 700c are really 29ers. Hate to break it to you.
    That is why I added the 28" wheel on top of their 700c comfort bikes.
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Here in the pittsburgh Pa. area I would say fisher at least 95% of the 9rs I see here are fishers.

Virtus pre nummis
    The Top 20 Most Popular Bike Brands and the bike types that they sell

Trek - Road, Triathlon , Mountain Hardtail , Mountain Full-Suspension , Urban , Bike Path, Cruiser , Women's , Kids
    Schwinn - Road, Commuter, Comfort, Cruisers, Electric, Mountain Bikes, BMX, Kids
    Giant - Road, Mountain, Giant for Women, Lifestyle, Hybrid (HCT), BMX, Kids
    Cannondale - Road, Mountain, Women's Recreation (many sub categories)
    Mongoose - BMX Bikes (Team Bikes, Freestyle Bikes, Dirt Street Bikes) Mountain / Pavement (Dual Suspension, Jumping, Hardtail XC, Comfort, Commuter, Road Alternative,
    Raleigh - Road, Performance Hybrid, Hybrid, Comfort, Mountain, Cruiser, Women, Youth
    Specialized Road, Multi Street, Globe (commute, comfort), Dirt/Street/Vert (BMX), Kids ATB
    Diamondback - MTN Full Suspension , Mountain Hardtail , Devine Designs , Comfort ,Cruiser , Performance Hybrid , Hybrid , Youth , BMX
    Fuji - Road, Mountain, Specialty, Women's, Lifestyle, Kids
    Haro -All Mountain-Freeride, Dirt Jump/ Urban, XC Trail / XC Sport, 650B, 29er, Metro, Comfort, Cruiser
    Shimano - Road, Mountain, Comfort, BMX
    Huffy - since 1892 - Mountain, BMX, Kids, Road
    Gary Fisher - 29ers, Full Suspension, Genesisters, Hardtails, Kids, Pavement, Road
    Ellsworth - High end Mountain Bikes
    Klein - High end Mountain and Road Bikes
    Jamis - High end Full Suspension, Hardtail, Road, Street, Sport Comfort, Youth
    Bianchi - Hors Categorie (HOC), Born for Performance (B4P), Coast to Coast (C2C), Dama Bianca, D2, Special, Classica, Road Steel, MTB Performance, MTB Leisure, Sport, Cross-Terrain
    GT - Mountain, BMX, Road, Womens
    Rocky Mountain - Mountain, Road, Urban & Path, Ladies Only
    Scott - Mountain, Road, Women's Junior's
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill!

mtbr member
    due to the economy and how it pretty much controls the universe.....I say the walmart.

the 29" goose

former thread

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    29ers Only I would guess the top 3:
    Fisher/Trek
    Niner
    Salsa

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Actually, I think I might slide Surley in ahead of Salsa, it would be close.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazerwolf

Trek - Road, Triathlon , Mountain Hardtail , Mountain Full-Suspension , Urban , Bike Path, Cruiser , Women's , Kids
    Schwinn - Road, Commuter, Comfort, Cruisers, Electric, Mountain Bikes, BMX, Kids
    Mongoose - BMX Bikes (Team Bikes, Freestyle Bikes, Dirt Street Bikes) Mountain / Pavement (Dual Suspension, Jumping, Hardtail XC, Comfort, Commuter, Road Alternative,
    Raleigh - Road, Performance Hybrid, Hybrid, Comfort, Mountain, Cruiser, Women, Youth
    Specialized Road, Multi Street, Globe (commute, comfort), Dirt/Street/Vert (BMX), Kids ATB
    Diamondback - MTN Full Suspension , Mountain Hardtail , Devine Designs , Comfort ,Cruiser , Performance Hybrid , Hybrid , Youth , BMX
    Haro -All Mountain-Freeride, Dirt Jump/ Urban, XC Trail / XC Sport, 650B, 29er, Metro, Comfort, Cruiser
    Gary Fisher - 29ers, Full Suspension, Genesisters, Hardtails, Kids, Pavement, Road
    Bianchi - Hors Categorie (HOC), Born for Performance (B4P), Coast to Coast (C2C), Dama Bianca, D2, Special, Classica, Road Steel, MTB Performance, MTB Leisure, Sport, Cross-Terrain
    wow, i'm surprised that specialized is so low on the list! their sub-forum is more populated than trek, fisher, and niner combined! fisher i can understand because they sell only mountain bikes (and now a few hybrids and bikes with drop bikes). but specialized sells just about every kind of bike.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Yes but until recently the few 29er Specialized models were very low end. They were big on the high end "Epic" 26er with the brain. Actually that is probably why their forum is so busy. The brain has been a huge failure until maybe this latest iteration.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazerwolf

I am unsure where this list came from: but it is not correct
    If it is for the USA - list includes many brands that are not in top 20
    If it is for world-wide - list does not include many brands that are in top 20

In addition, best list would be by company -- example: GT, Schwinn, Mongoose, Cannondale are one company.

As for 29ers; the list is about to change a lot as lots of models under $600, $500, or even $400 appear in 2011 -- downward move in prices of geared 29ers will certainly increase number sold and change distribution of brands

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by A from Il
    Yep, thats true.

actually, the tire plays a role in distinguishing a 29er (since 29" is an approximation of the wheel height from ground to top). it is not the rim size alone. hate to break it to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    I think Gary Fisher has given away the most 29'ers under warranty. That SuperFly 100 is well known for breaking.
    Trek sells the most 29ers. The Fisher warranty thing, even with the Superfly is HIGHLY exaggerated.. People can't possibly have this attitude with Fisher bikes when Niner has had far more significant problems.

Naturally Organic

Imo

Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33
    Trek sells the most 29ers. The Fisher warranty thing, even with the Superfly is HIGHLY exaggerated.. People can't possibly have this attitude with Fisher bikes when Niner has had far more significant problems.
    Decent point. I personally wouldn't purchase either brand...(to any flamers: I may be missing out, my loss; warranty, would like to have one but rather not use it if possible; problems fixed, okay, whatever; yada, yada, yada...)

Up until recent years, how many 29er bike options were there? There are far more now than ever before. Yeti even jumped on board and built some "circus" wheels (aka: Big Top). I believe Fisher has been the biggest fish in the pond up until this point. The field is getting bigger, but there are more players. Looking forward to better, more reliable, lighter, less expensive technologies and bicycles in the near future (even from Niner & Fisher)...

Time will tell...

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    wow, i'm surprised that specialized is so low on the list! their sub-forum is more populated than trek, fisher, and niner combined! fisher i can understand because they sell only mountain bikes (and now a few hybrids and bikes with drop bikes). but specialized sells just about every kind of bike.
    Fisher makes road bikes.

AZ
    banned
    And CX bikes .

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    I am unsure where this list came from: but it is not correct
    Looks like it came from the link below. The author of the list, Rob Chapman, pretty much says himself that he made it up from non-facts in April 2009. It's cetainly not worth quoting (and without attribution) in this thread.

The 20 Most Popular Bike Brands Sold in the US:
    http://www.about-bicycles.com/Bike-A...ke-brands.html
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

L09erdr
    iamtylerdurden - While pacific cycle/mongoose is prob high on the list because of afforability and peoople like cheap. The question becomes at what risk.

I myself had an Impasse a while back (dont laugh) just to try one out (it ended up being returned) and dont get me wrong its a ok bike for the $200 but its realy not a bike you want to do any major riding on. The qualiy is deff. questionable and a lil sketchy. I found the rear hub on mine to be defective as well out of the box. Never again will I buy a Walmart bike (sorry Walmart). I would however think about a Pacific Cycle bike thats not sold in a DEPT store.

mtbr member
    I found this list on the bike 2.0 blog:

Of course, not 29ers only, but it's probably roughly proportional to their overall sales (Fisher probably higher, of course)

Who knew Raleigh was so big?
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I ride with a group of guys on Tues - in The Land of Oz - and there are usually between 6 and 10 of us (all on 'niners). There were 7 of us yesterday, and here's the breakdown: 4 GF, 1 Salsa, 2 RL (there are usually 5 GF FS). Last night was odd: 4 GF FS, 1 Salsa FS, 1 RL softy SS, 1 RL geared rigid.

Point is, is that I had no idea that GF sold so many 29ers around here. They look like nice bikes, and the guys I ride with kinda know what they're doing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    FACT: 16,000,000 bikes sold each year in the USA and 50% are sold @ Wal-Mart...

Naturally Organic

Bonking ... not feelin' well O P Title

Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    FACT: 16,000,000 bikes sold each year in the USA and 50% are sold @ Wal-Mart...
    How many of them are 29ers?

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce9er
    How many of them are 29ers?
    Alot, Like mentioned before every 700c wheeled bike is a 29er.

On a different point I am glad that none of my bikes are on that brand list.
    Hooray for cheep steel and custom.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    And over half the bikes that Walmart sells come back. Next time you are at Walfart in the Summer, look over at the customer service counter and see if someone is not bringing a bike back. Their quality is so bad that half the bikes in a give store, if you try to spin the rear wheel, the bearings are actually so tight that it only goes a couple of revolutions. Most people get them home and the chain falls off on the first ride and back they go. The front brakes on the kids bikes are just flat pieces of metal stamped into the shape of brakes, when an 80 lb. kid puts on the brakes you can literally see them flex half an inch.

Walmart doesn't so much sell bikes and pieces of Chineese Industrial Art.

Members who have read this thread: 0