Whatís going on with my Kona Hei Hei?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2017

Whatís going on with my Kona Hei Hei?

Hi Everyone, I have a 2019 Kona Hei Hei CR/DL and it seems to be slower than my trail bike (Specialized Stumpjumper) so Iíve been thinking of selling it. But how can it be slower than my trail bike on a climb? Is something setup wrong? Should I sell it and buy a Specialized Epic Full suspension, since I have a Specialized Epic hardtail and really like it?

Thanks for your opinions!
    Last edited by Epic_Biker13; 06-27-2019 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Wanted to add something

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    "Seems" slower or did you actually time/test it multiple times under the same conditions (weather, rested, diet, etc)? I've often felt slow, only to come back and check Strava and end up getting a PR and vice versa (felt fast, actually going slow). Perceived effort can also be tricky, which is why many use heart rate monitors and power meters.

Could also be setup/tires/tire pressure/???
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    When you say seems slower, is this just your subjective impression or have you timed yourself over the same route on the two bikes? I ask, because sometimes what seems slower may factually be faster. Also, under what circumstances are you making the comparison; climbing, descending, flat, smooth, rough, combination? What are the differences in setup between the bikes?

Although they're great trail bikes, Stumpjumpers are not known for be especially fast bikes on flats and climbs.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    When you say seems slower, is this just your subjective impression or have you timed yourself over the same route on the two bikes? I ask, because sometimes what seems slower may factually be faster. Also, under what circumstances are you making the comparison; climbing, descending, flat, smooth, rough, combination? What are the differences in setup between the bikes?

Although they're great trail bikes, Stumpjumpers are not known for be especially fast bikes on flats and climbs.
    I used Strava to time a 1.5 mile technical climb, using the same power on both bikes I went approx 4 minutes faster on my StumpJumper. Granted this was different days, but every time Iíve tested it the Hei Hei is slower.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Biker13 View Post
    I used Strava to time a 1.5 mile technical climb, using the same power on both bikes I went approx 4 minutes faster on my StumpJumper. Granted this was different days, but every time Iíve tested it the Hei Hei is slower.
    Same power? Using power meters on both bikes? If you're not using power meters, then you're not measuring "power" and it's irrelevant.

4 minutes difference in 1.5mi? That's kinda huge. I have two bikes that are WAY more different than the two you're comparing and when I take each one out on a particular section of similar length, the time difference is seconds.

I think you're conflating some things and failing to consider others. Folks have already mentioned setup.

Also since you're talking about technical climbs, it begs for lots of details about the section of trail you're considering. What is "technical" in this discussion? It's going to matter.

The two bikes are very different beasts. The Kona is basically an xc bike, whereas the Stumpy is a more rowdy trail bike. The extra suspension of the Stumpy will let you plow through stuff without much finesse, but the shorter travel on the Kona requires quite a bit of finesse in technical trails. And by finesse, I'm specifically referring to rider input to maneuver the bike.

We have no idea about your riding skill, and even less idea about your riding style.

I can make a few guesses based on what's been said so far (and what hasn't) but generally speaking, I think the difference is the rider.

Cycologist
    That 2019 Kona Hei Hei CR/DL is a total dog.

What size is it and how much do you want for it?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    I owned a heihei 29 for a bit over a year. It's a fast bike, light and also descends well. I was not far off of my PRs on it from my xc hardtail. Something doesn't add up here.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    That 2019 Kona Hei Hei CR/DL is a total dog.

What size is it and how much do you want for it?
    XL, I was looking to get $4,000 OBO
    Last edited by Epic_Biker13; 06-27-2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Added information

mtbr member
    May 2017
    QUOTE=Harold;14165963]Same power? Using power meters on both bikes? If you're not using power meters, then you're not measuring "power" and it's irrelevant.

4 minutes difference in 1.5mi? That's kinda huge. I have two bikes that are WAY more different than the two you're comparing and when I take each one out on a particular section of similar length, the time difference is seconds.

I think you're conflating some things and failing to consider others. Folks have already mentioned setup.

Also since you're talking about technical climbs, it begs for lots of details about the section of trail you're considering. What is "technical" in this discussion? It's going to matter.

The two bikes are very different beasts. The Kona is basically an xc bike, whereas the Stumpy is a more rowdy trail bike. The extra suspension of the Stumpy will let you plow through stuff without much finesse, but the shorter travel on the Kona requires quite a bit of finesse in technical trails. And by finesse, I'm specifically referring to rider input to maneuver the bike.

We have no idea about your riding skill, and even less idea about your riding style.

I can make a few guesses based on what's been said so far (and what hasn't) but generally speaking, I think the difference is the rider.[/QUOTE]

I ride the same trail on my XC hardtail and that time blows away both the stumpjumper and Hei Hei, so I donít think itís the trail thatís making it slower.

since 4/10/2009

I ride the same trail on my XC hardtail and that time blows away both the stumpjumper and Hei Hei, so I donít think itís the trail thatís making it slower.
    There are a lot of questions you still aren't answering. You need to answer them (and any other questions prompted by those responses) before anyone can even start guessing.

#1, answer all the questions that have been posed to you already, starting with post #2
    #2, post the gps data
    #3, what does the trail actually look like?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    4 minutes over 1.5 miles of technical climbing would suggest you stuff up majorly on some features. So perhaps the bike size doesn't suit you and you're struggling to clear some obstacles or the bottom bracket/pedals are too low and catching on things.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Okay. I am doing the comparison on a technical climb. The two bikes have different tires. The stumpjumper has Maxxis minions the Hei Hei Maxxis Aspen and Ikon (which should be faster IMO depending on conditions ofc) I havenít used an exact power meter. Just Stravas estimated Watt usage.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    -6aa5fa53-9fd8-4a79-bae8-72de2aa9fd96.jpg

This is the sag I have right now on my shock, what do you think?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    On my Hei Hei I found that running 30% sag in the shock pedals only ok. I went to 27% sag and crazy enough it made a pretty huge difference for some reason. How many volume spacers do you have on that fox? Does the bike feel boingy when pedaling under a lot of power?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
    On my Hei Hei I found that running 30% sag in the shock pedals only ok. I went to 27% sag and crazy enough it made a pretty huge difference for some reason. How many volume spacers do you have on that fox? Does the bike feel boingy when pedaling under a lot of power?
    I donít know to be honest, I picked it up from the shop and havenít done anything other than air pressure. Maybe thatís my problem? Wish fox had sag markings like RockShox

since 4/10/2009
    I donít know to be honest, I picked it up from the shop and havenít done anything other than air pressure. Maybe thatís my problem? Wish fox had sag markings like RockShox
    I'd say that's one potential problem.

Just use a ruler and do a little math.

Do you have any idea what your rebound setting is?

What about the fork settings? Tire pressures? There's probably more going on beyond these things, too, I'd bet.

Wanna ride bikes?
    It's not the bike. It could be setup related but something is missing here. The Hei Hei has a very efficient pedaling platform.

I have a 2017 CR/DL in XL, same geometry. This is my endurance race bike but I've been spending a lot of time on it this year because everything else I own is broken. Been doing all XC races on it, every day trail riding, etc.

The bike is a rocket, it's ridiculously fast everywhere.

I'm surprised your faster on a longer travel bike with heavier tires, but we don't know much about the trail you're climbing. The tires on your Hei Hei are pretty fast tires, perhaps you need something with more grip? (not that that would account for a 4 minute difference, that's an eternity) Check out the Maxxis Forekaster for example.

Honestly not sure what would cause you to be slower on the Kona?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yep when putting down the power the hei hei is a rocket. Did the shop you buy it from do a proper shock and fork setup? There's way more to it than putting air in them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Yep when putting down the power the hei hei is a rocket. Did the shop you buy it from do a proper shock and fork setup? There's way more to it than putting air in them.

All I know is that they put air in the fork and shock. I ran the rebound they put on (didnít really count how many clicks) maybe I should go to my LBS and have them set up the suspension the right way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hi Everyone, I have a 2019 Kona Hei Hei CR/DL and it seems to be slower than my trail bike (Specialized Stumpjumper...
    It's not the bike. It's the engine.

Cycologist
    XL, I was looking to get $4,000 OBO
    Too big for me. Actually, I've been thinking about the aluminum model possibly being my next bike.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

since 4/10/2009
    All I know is that they put air in the fork and shock. I ran the rebound they put on (didnít really count how many clicks) maybe I should go to my LBS and have them set up the suspension the right way.
    It's not the shop's job. They did the best they could and should be expected to do.

It's YOUR job. Now, they could be faulted for not informing you that you need to check and adjust suspension settings to dial them in. But you're here now and you're being told there's more to it.

http://www.shockcraft.co.nz/media/wy...p_guide_v0.pdf
    https://www.bikerumor.com/2014/10/30...free-download/

And honestly, if you're only now getting this information and you have 2 other expensive bikes with suspension, you need to do it for those bikes, too.

Maybe renting/buying a Shockwiz would help you with keeping your 3 bikes straight. But either way, you're going to have to spend time adjusting the suspension settings and writing them down once you decide what you like.

mtbr member
    Adding so suspension set-up, here's a video from one of Fox Suspension's guru's. He makes it as simple as it can be

DIALED: Episode #15 - JORDI'S BASIC SUSPENSION SETUP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPQnjSe6rdw

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I forget the site where you can rent a pair of shockwiz for a week for 99 bucks but it looks like a good investment so you can tune both of your bikes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    If you really want to know which is faster, enter races.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    What do you guys say about the weight of the WTB KOM wheels that come on it? I believe the bike weighs around 28 pounds with pedals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have had no issues with the kom rims. The hubs on them are generic formula hubs. You want to shed weight replace cockpit stuff for carbon and go xo1. You already have a stepcast 34 on it?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have had no issues with the kom rims. The hubs on them are generic formula hubs. You want to shed weight replace cockpit stuff for carbon and go xo1. You already have a stepcast 34 on it?

Yes, stepcast 34. How reliable are carbon bars? What grips would you recommend? Esi foam? Is doing that better than reducing rolling weight?