West Coast AM Hardtail- Mtbr.com
    Old school BMXer

West Coast AM Hardtail

Ok, so my title idea came from MDEnvEngr's recent thread about his New England Woods Bike, an awesome bike built for riding in his neck of the woods. This bike was built for my style of riding in my area in So Cal or around AZ and UT.

Prior to my wife and I having our twins last September, I went into a sell-off. I sold my DH bike, my AM bike, and even my XC bike. For mountain bikes, this left me with only a singlespeed (still have BMX bikes, road bike, 4X bike, and tandem mtbs). Around the time our twins were born, she already wanted to go to Sedona over the holidays, and she suggested that bring my bike. We'd been there many times already so I knew what to look forward to. Her sister went along with us, which would give us some time to go for a couple rides. I have the greatest wife.

But although Sedona is singlespeed friendly, I really wanted a geared bike. So I immediately got started building a frame. Initially I wanted the geometry to be very similar to my singlespeed. http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/i-...un-646963.html
    However, during the building phase, I started changing plans: I wanted to use the new Fox 34. I was able to make some revisions mid build to get me about where I wanted. While the head angle may seem very slack, the actual trail figure with the 51 mm rake fork is almost identical to my SS with 44 mm rake fork.

All dimensions are with the fork set at 110 mm.
    HA: 67.3 degrees - that is not a typo!
    BB: 12-1/4"
    CS: 16-5/8" - yes, even with a front derailleur (clocked the mount a couple degrees)
    WB: 42"
    TT or SA: I don't remember actual or effective at the moment

Total weight as shown is under 28 pounds. I went after strength and durability more than light weight...even though I did use Sapim CX-RAY spokes (36R/32F), and all the silver or gold titanium bolts I could use.

The bike is meant to be ridden with the fork at 110. I generally don't like long-travel hardtails because of the amount of bike rotation upon fork compression. Or at least I think that's why. The front end also gets a little tall with the fork at 140 mm. Sure, I could use lower bars, but then they may be too low with the fork at 110. Ce la vie.

The powdercoat is a translucent blue over a silver base. I seem to have difficulties actually capturing the color in pictures since it seems to wash out with light.

End result, this bike has been extremely fun. It worked perfectly in Sedona - even allowing sufficient mud clearance for the back 2.25 tire. At Sedona and other rides since, I've hit lots of rock gardens, jumps, and drops, along with popping up over ledges and various obstacles, and I'm very pleased with the results. The steering is right where I want it. And the bike climbs like a scalded monkey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails West Coast AM Hardtail-img_4300-lo.jpg  

West Coast AM Hardtail-img_4199-lo.jpg  

West Coast AM Hardtail-img_4184-lo.jpg  

West Coast AM Hardtail-img_4190-lo.jpg  

West Coast AM Hardtail-img_4254-lo.jpg  

West Coast AM Hardtail-img_4241-lo.jpg  

West Coast AM Hardtail-img_3819-lo.jpg  

West Coast AM Hardtail-img_4443-lo.jpg  

Last edited by Blaster1200; 01-06-2012 at 07:07 PM.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Wow, what's the wait time on a frame ??? That's one gorgeous ride. Congratulations.

mtbr member
    Damn Dude that's hot That's all I got to say
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Super clean, I love the blue. Hopefully my Yelli Scream comes out as nice. Enjoy it
    Transition Scout Carbon

mtbr member
    Woah Momma that's Sweet!!

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by stoats View Post
    Wow, what's the wait time on a frame ??? That's one gorgeous ride. Congratulations.
    Thank you!

I should have said that I'm not in the frame building business - it's just a hobby. This is frame #6. Having newborn twins around the house makes my time very limited, but I will say building frames can be quite a good way for me to relax after the babies go to sleep.

the air is thin up here..

That, is one hell of a nice looking bike. 10/10. Great geo too.
    2017 Transmission Smuggler
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

WNC Native
    Awesome build!!!!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    Damn. That is some serious RYO...
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

banned
    Sep 2007
    Lee,

Let us know how that works out with chain suck on a slightly muddy day down in the OC, CA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Beautiful Bike!

I have 3.5 year old twins, so I know what you mean.

29 TO LIFE
    How much do you want for it? I have first dibs.

mtbr member
    Whoa. I'm with this guy!

Quote Originally Posted by stoats View Post
    Wow, what's the wait time on a frame ???
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

breathing helium
    Wow! Incredible work. Fantastic!

mtbr member

beautiful frame...

very clean work !. Whats it made of?.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    That looks incredible. I would certainty buy a frame. From the geo, the build, and craftsmanship, it looks AM perfect!

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Lee,

Let us know how that works out with chain suck on a slightly muddy day down in the OC, CA.
    If you know OC, then you know that it's quite frowned upon to ride the clay-like trails shortly after rain, and many of the trails are close. In some places, the clay can stick so badly, you can add 10 pounds to each tire to the point where it won't even pass with an inch of clearance. Basically, we don't ride in a lot of mud.

My target was about nearly 1/4" of clearance all around the rear tire. It's about that, with the exception of the front derailleur when it's in the smallest chainring. It's tight.

While in Sedona, we did encounter mud, since it rained a couple days leading up to our arrival. To my surprise, mud didn't seem to stick to the Nobby Nic tires nearly as badly as it did to the Maxxis tires on my wife's bike. Still, the area around chainstays and front derailleur was full of mud and muck, but I never had a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by edouble View Post
    very clean work !. Whats it made of?.
    Fillet-brazed steel! And a lot of sweat and probably a little blood. Damn...I ran out of pixie dust.

True Temper 44 mm ID head tube, 44.5 mm down tube, 34.9 mm top tube and seat tube
    Dedacciai seat stays and chain stays
    Basic square 4130 Chromo for the front chainstay pieces
    Paragon dropouts and braze-ons.
    Last edited by Blaster1200; 01-06-2012 at 05:40 PM.

~~~
    Fillet-brazed awesomeness! You have an eye for creating very clean lines, even with the segmented parts of the frame. That really is a perfect West Coast machine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think it sucks that some of the coolest bikes on this forum are one-off-customs from 2 guys that only do it as a "hobby". I hate you guys.

@adelorenzo
    SICK bike!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wow!!!!!

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200 View Post
    If you know OC, then you know that it's quite frowned upon to ride the clay-like trails shortly after rain, and many of the trails are close. In some places, the clay can stick so badly, you can add 10 pounds to each tire to the point where it won't even pass with an inch of clearance. Basically, we don't ride in a lot of mud.

My target was about nearly 1/4" of clearance all around the rear tire. It's about that, with the exception of the front derailleur when it's in the smallest chainring. It's tight.

While in Sedona, we did encounter mud, since it rained a couple days leading up to our arrival. To my surprise, mud didn't seem to stick to the Nobby Nic tires nearly as badly as it did to the Maxxis tires on my wife's bike. Still, the area around chainstays and front derailleur was full of mud and muck, but I never had a problem with it.

Fillet-brazed steel! And a lot of sweat and probably a little blood. Damn...I ran out of pixie dust.

True Temper 44 mm ID head tube, 44.5 mm down tube, 34.9 mm top tube and seat tube
    As you know, we don't have those restrictions in Los Angeles or Ventura Counties... jeffj or mtroy can tell you all about rides around Castaic on fire roads with death mud that sneaks up on you and gets you good. It really needs a Rohloff or a Nexus IGH.

FM
    mtbr member
    Damn, you nailed that!
    Super nice brazing... this shot is ridiculous. Nicely done!

Powered by ice cream.
    Well done sir.

Both your recent builds are ridiculous in the beauty department, and when I think you did it in the garage with your own two hands, I can only think you deserve the title: Frame Jedi.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    awesome bike! love the color scheme and geo! i have been wanting to build my own frame for years once i get my shop back up and running. excellent work!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You should start making a living as a professional frame builder. Looks awesome

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Damn, you nailed that!
    Super nice brazing... this shot is ridiculous. Nicely done!
    Seriously. It would take me a pound of bondo to put that together so smooth

mtbr member

Thanks for the detailed response...

If you had the time and ever wanted to sell this frame they would fly out the door. This is the type of bike that many on this forum are looking for.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Excellent job, kinda reminds me of the 2Souls Quaterhorse.
    Quarterhorse "QH"
    You have sealed in the lower seat tube which looks better imo.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by edouble View Post
    If you had the time and ever wanted to sell this frame they would fly out the door. This is the type of bike that many on this forum are looking for.
    If you can't build a bunch of these, would you consider getting a builder to do so for you?
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

Trophy Husband
    Very nice! Love the bike, but I'm throwing the yellow flag....15 yards for illegal initiative and flagrant awesome.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    I love the lines on this frame. It looks to be very well thought out.

Care to talk about the seat tube?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    my favorite part is the seat tube. instead of a bend, you put 2 peices of tube together with the one side facing up. genius work and it looks so bad ass

mtbr member
    beautiful craftsmanship. the geo reminds me of a kona honzo, the color kind of does as well. I'll take one please!

Old school BMXer
    Thanks again all for the compliments.

The seat tube was quite time consuming and a good example where hobbyists can spend all the time they want whereas those who build frames for a living would have difficulties charging the appropriate amount for the time invested. A lot of my construction techniques are based on my limited equipment. I don't have bending equipment for larger diameter thin-walled tubing, nor do I have a lathe or a mill (but do want!). Heck, I don't even have a drill press.

The seat tube starts off as a True Temper OX Platinum .8/.5/.8 mm butted tube. The thick part of the butt of one end of the tube is attached to the BB and then tapers thin. The upper tube also starts with the thick part at the bottom, and then butts down to .5 mm. I had a friend turn down some 4130 chromo .065 wall tubing about . 5 mm, so it would slide into the top of the tube. This was done so that I could lightly ream the insert to fit a 31.6 mm seat post. Can't have a bike like this without a drop post!

Oh, and the color is nothing like the Honzo. I thought someone might say that after seeing my own pictures. The Honzo blue is somewhat flat and dark whereas this blue has a lot of pop to it, but I just can't really capture it well in pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails West Coast AM Hardtail-img_2702-lo.jpg  

mtbr member
    yeah, i agree with you on the color, i looked a little closer and the indoor pictures show the color a little better - it's more like a subaru blue, i really like it.

Do you have any pictures showing the detail where the seat stays and top tube meet up? it looks so clean, but i can't get a good look at it.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Great seatube approach, I had to study the pictures a few minutes to understand what was going on. Build and geometry look great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I Want 1

What more can i say.... U nailed it!! The stuff dreams are made of
    29er you just know when ur ready!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Incredible...

...AND original.

Congrats on a clean and innovative ride.

-Raynman59

mtbr member
    May 2011
    dude u have the true poo right there.I love your frame build Id also love to see a closeup of the seat stay tt/seat tube union.overall an awsome rig thank you for making me drool

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    nice !! looks very similiar to the honzo

Belltown Brazer
    Blaster, that rig is AWESOME. I love the seat tube and the CS yoke. That's a lot of work in those two pieces! A great original solution to the seat tube "problem".

I think we could trade bikes and still be happy. Does that mean short CS, short wheelbase, tight 29ers are good for *everywhere*? Hmmm...

Good point that us hobbiests can take a lot more time doing funky things. For me one of the biggest issues with ever being "pro" would be loosing the time to do this kind of stuff. Not that I don't build for others...

Keep at it man. Pretty soon those girls will be down in the shop sticking your tube drops together with hot glue and really "helping" out!

Cheers! B

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by MDEnvEngr View Post
    Blaster, that rig is AWESOME. I love the seat tube and the CS yoke. That's a lot of work in those two pieces! A great original solution to the seat tube "problem".

I think we could trade bikes and still be happy. Does that mean short CS, short wheelbase, tight 29ers are good for *everywhere*? Hmmm...

Good point that us hobbiests can take a lot more time doing funky things. For me one of the biggest issues with ever being "pro" would be loosing the time to do this kind of stuff. Not that I don't build for others...

Keep at it man. Pretty soon those girls will be down in the shop sticking your tube drops together with hot glue and really "helping" out!

Cheers! B
    Thanks! Yes, I'm sure I'd be quite happy on your bike. My BMX race bikes have their CS at about 15", and my 4X/DS bike is at 15-5/8". My next 29er singlespeed frame will be about 16-1/2" (set for the gearing I run). I'm really temped to go for 16" like yours. There's a trail nearby here that has some roller jumps at the bottom. I keep trying to manual them like a rhythm section at a BMX track, and I'm still not manualling those well enough on this bike yet. Shorter stays would be nice!

Actually, our twins are boy and girl, so yup, I can't wait until my assistants can get busy, just as I was with my father. My dad allowed me to use his tablesaw at 7 - with all of the safety guards removed, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by SSkibum18 View Post
    yeah, i agree with you on the color, i looked a little closer and the indoor pictures show the color a little better - it's more like a subaru blue, i really like it.

Do you have any pictures showing the detail where the seat stays and top tube meet up? it looks so clean, but i can't get a good look at it.
    I don't have any good pics, but I took these as a teaser for my friends when I was building it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails West Coast AM Hardtail-img_3806-lo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    One of the nicest bikes i've ever seen. Deserves even more credit given that you've built it yourself.

mtbr member
    OK, honest question, hoping for honest reply and please don't take offense. Looking at your pics it looks so damn smooth, is this purely excellent brazing or did you do some filling/sanding/grinding before you painted it?
    I don't have any good pics, but I took these as a teaser for my friends when I was building it up.
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Not smart enough to shift
    Meh, I could build better out of toothpaste.

LyNx, not to answer for blaster, but there is lots O' sanding involved.

Lee, turned out *****in' man. Wish I was closer so I could give er a go.

Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Not that it needs to be said agian, but nice work! I hope you will at least build for a couple of rich friends that want pure custom. Then you could get some extra college money for the twins... Thanks for sharing these builds.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

beater
    Wow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Great work - thanks for the link from the frame forum or I'd have completely missed this. Truly fantastic.

And you have much more patience with the filing than I do!

That weight is pretty good for big steel, big wheels, big forks and a dropper post - I know it is all in the detail (every little bit adds up).

When you get time around the twins for the next frame, forget the front mech and go for it with the short stays - I've loved the last 7 months with 16" stays. At Christmas I rode it back to back on some steep tight trails with a friend's new Trek Al Superfly - that thing just felt so ponderous and traction was lousy in comparison.

Niner21
    such a nice build.great work.

mtbr member
    Wow that's an amazing ride, I really love the paint and the welds. Is that a 1.75'' down tube? It looks huge.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Beautiful! Would absolutely love to get my hands on a frame like this. Kudos on your craftsmanship and style!

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    OK, honest question, hoping for honest reply and please don't take offense. Looking at your pics it looks so damn smooth, is this purely excellent brazing or did you do some filling/sanding/grinding before you painted it?
    You bet I did some filing and sanding! And lots of it! That's part of what makes fillet-brazed frames so special, I think, since there's a lot of shaping involved. This is also what allures many to fillet-brazed frames as the shaping is also like one's signature. Since there is so much time involved - albeit less for those with significant amount of brazing experience - this is one of the main distinguishing factors that differentiates this style of custom frame from common mass-produced frames out of China that are mostly TIG welded. I'm not knocking TIG welded frames, since I would really like to improve my TIG welding so I can build frames faster, but they just don't look as special to me. I keep saying that I'm going ot TIG weld my next frame, but I seem to always grab the torch.

There are some guys who do some incredible fillet-brazing, and some who do it so well even offer it as a lower cost version since there isn't as much time involved, but as good as they look, they're still not as smooth as they could be with some file and sandpaper work.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrock View Post
    Wow that's an amazing ride, I really love the paint and the welds. Is that a 1.75'' down tube? It looks huge.
    Thank you!

Yes, it's a 1.75" (44.5 mm) downtube. I'd seen a few bikes with 1-1/2" or smaller downtubes on bikes with the oversized head tubes (for 44 mm headsets), and I think that they make the head tube look kind of unproportionately odd...kind of like a bobble head.

Funny, now I look at my singlespeed with a 1-1/2" downtube and normal head tube, and it looks so small and spindly!

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by mickuk View Post
    Great work - thanks for the link from the frame forum or I'd have completely missed this. Truly fantastic.

And you have much more patience with the filing than I do!

That weight is pretty good for big steel, big wheels, big forks and a dropper post - I know it is all in the detail (every little bit adds up).

When you get time around the twins for the next frame, forget the front mech and go for it with the short stays - I've loved the last 7 months with 16" stays. At Christmas I rode it back to back on some steep tight trails with a friend's new Trek Al Superfly - that thing just felt so ponderous and traction was lousy in comparison.
    Yes, the filing is tedious, but I find it relaxing at times. I know that building my frames is going to take at least a couple months, so I'm not worried about rushing it. I kind of enjoy coming home from work after sitting in traffic for an hour () and work on it for a half hour or so while my wife makes dinner, or even for an hour or so after the babies are in bed.

The next bike will likely be a singlespeed, but I'm debating on 16" or 16-1/2" chainstays (both numbers are close to working with 32/20 gearing). Why wouldn't I want to do 16"? Because I'm afraid that I wouldn't want to ride this bike anymore! It'll probably be a while until I can get started on my next frame, but we'll see.

Life Is Short
    Super cool and worthy of being a Klein. Now build a f/s and lets put this ht foolishness behind us.

PS--congrats on the twins
    Cheap people buy things twice

Most Delicious
    Any construction pics of the chainstay yoke?

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.welby View Post
    Any construction pics of the chainstay yoke?
    I don't have any of the pretty just sanded or sandblasted glamor shots, but I do have this.
    The 'yoke' is really just a couple pieces of 1" square tube carved out, and a strip of .050" curved on the inside with an inner fillet holding the piece in place.

The Dedacciai chainstays almost just slide over the pieces, but I had to make two small slices in each stay to fit the inside corners of the pieces. This not only allowed the stays to slide over the pieces, but also effectively created a stop to keep them from sliding forward. It also allowed a little movement to get the right angle of the stays to the dropouts. Although it was a bit of work, I really like the results, and it keeps the rear end very laterally stiff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails West Coast AM Hardtail-img_5410-lo.jpg  

Last edited by Blaster1200; 01-11-2012 at 10:45 AM.

mtbr member
    OK, yeah wow, it looked nice all painted and what not, but seeing this shot and your explanation of how you achieved it Fantastic work Dude, way cool, super proud does not describe how you should feel about this frame

I don't have any of the pretty just sanded or sandblasted glamor shots, but I do have this.
    The 'yoke' is really just a couple pieces of 1" square tube carved out, and a strip of .050" curved on the inside with an inner fillet holding the piece in place.

The Dedacciai chainstays almost just slide over the pieces, but I had to make two small slices in each stay to fit the inside corners of the pieces. This not only allowed the stays to slide over the pieces, but also effectively created a stop to keep them from sliding forward. It also allowed a little movement to get the right angle of the stays to the dropouts. Although it was a bit of work, I really like the results, and it keeps the rear end very laterally stiff.

The White Jeff W
    Bicycle art. I love it!
    No moss...

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Incredible work.

mtbr member
    amazing

banned
    Makes me fell like an idiot when saying, I cant find the time to ride while raising kids. When you see someone builing thier frame before even riding it.

Congrats on the twins, cool spouse, passion for cycling. Not everyone can achieve balance at this stage in life. Truely fortinate indeed. Keep up the good work.

650b me
    Wow, dude....you have a GIFT!!! Incredible work. I can't believe you only have 6 frames under your belt. Makes me wonder what your setup is like, and what you do for a living.

I'm headed to UBI in 6 days to build my first fillet-brazed frame. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    beautiful work, you should be proud

Broke college student
    Dec 2009
    Dang man, that's gorgeous! Love the blue and gold with a component match up to stand up to the frame quality!
    I like beer.

mtbr member
    It's been said already, but deserves to be said again - great work...that's a fine bicycle...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by security58 View Post
    nice !! looks very similiar to the honzo
    I wish....

Very nice work Blaster!

banned
    The SS/CS/Drop-out looks like a IF design. Again, very nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    so when are you setting up a demo day

no really, i want to ride this bike!!!!

Cassoulet forever !
    Superb bike !
    I really like the look of the blue and the orange / kashima bits
    congrats !

I don't like so much this type of dropouts. Theses long flat pieces seems to me to be prone to lateral flex
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You sir are my (basement bike building) hero. Craftsmanship and design. Perfect.

mtbr member
    I would buy this frame right now!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Amazing lookin bike man I love the blue and gold

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    wow, very nice work man. That looks outstanding in the pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

J_K
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sorry for digging old thread up, but your bike is pretty amazing, it left me almost speechless
    I'm interested to know front centre distance if possible.

mtbr member
    Any chance of rehosting the pics? The attached stuff is missing.