Well, Sh!t.- Mtbr.com

Thread: Well, Sh!t.

mtbr member

Well, Sh!t.

I picked up this Air 9 RDO frame new last year to replace a Lynskey Ti hardtail I broke after 4 years. Well, less than a year in, I find this. No crash, no event that I can recall that would have done this. Now I don't know what to do. I imagine Niner will give me the finger on a warranty, and I'm not sure what to replace it with that I won't also break. Sigh, maybe it's time to go full suspension

Well, Sh!t.-sadface.jpg
    Calmer'n you are.

mtbr member
    Carbon fiber can be repaired.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I got a quote from a place in Boulder and I'll probably do it. My worry is, that it'll just fail again soon in a different spot, like the other chain stay. Of course, it's also possible that this was a freak incident. I just don't know. But it isn't confidence inspiring.
    Calmer'n you are.

Elitest thrill junkie
    That definitely looks like damage, like something hit it. It would be fairly easy to repair if you have the time and patience. There are some threads on this site where people have documented their repairs that would be helpful.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

slow
    Is that chain suck? My AIR9 RDO had a titanium plate in that spot to help prevent chain suck from damaging the frame there. Unfortunately the adhesive came off, so the titanium plate is now gone. A repair should make it as good as new.

FWIW, mine had a damaged seat stay when I bought it used 3 or 4 years ago. I've since put about 3000 miles on it without any problems.

mtbr member
    No chain suck that I've ever noticed. Initially what caught my eye was the little TI plate was starting to come off and upon further inspection, I found this mess. Hopefully a repair will hold up. I was looking at broken carbon in Boulder, do you have any recommendations? We're both in Fort Collins.
    Calmer'n you are.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    No chain suck that I've ever noticed. Initially what caught my eye was the little TI plate was starting to come off and upon further inspection, I found this mess. Hopefully a repair will hold up. I was looking at broken carbon in Boulder, do you have any recommendations? We're both in Fort Collins.
    Broken Carbon in Boulder was recommended to me by several people. The repairs I've seen from them looked pretty good. I never had mine fixed. Been riding it the way I got it for about 4 years.