Dec 2007

Wanted: AM Short Travel FS Frame

Will serve multiple purposes:

Alternative to a hardtail
    Moderate terrain
    Quick laps at lunch/after work
    Bike packing/gravel burner
    Carbon or really light aluminum

I was using a hardtail for these purposes, but my aging body just canít take it, even plus tires are not enough.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

Demon Cleaner
    Iíve been interested in something similar for a while. Sniper Trail is appealing but Iím really watching for the Whyte S-120 to appear. The Geo on the S-120 looks really good but so far no real reviews let alone bikes to demo. Their US distributor is in Fresno so it might be possible for us CA folks to at least size one in person once the bikes start arriving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Sniper is a possibility, the chainstays are a tad long for me, but I could also run 100mm rear and 120mm fork, gets a little more slack. Maybe even get a Manitou so I can tweak travel trailside.

The Whyte looks really good, but there does not appear to be a frame only option; I hate to buy a bike and strip it for the frame... but I've done it before.

So short travel to me is 120mm, 100mm is okay.

Commencal has nothing short travel
    Transition has nothing short travel
    Kona has the Hei Hei, geo is meh
    Trek has the Fuel EX, tempting...
    Specialized has nothing I want

Quote Originally Posted by Structure View Post
    Iíve been interested in something similar for a while. Sniper Trail is appealing but Iím really watching for the Whyte S-120 to appear. The Geo on the S-120 looks really good but so far no real reviews let alone bikes to demo. Their US distributor is in Fresno so it might be possible for us CA folks to at least size one in person once the bikes start arriving.

Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    2019 Specialized Stumpjumper ST

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

Moderate terrain

I was using a hardtail for these purposes, but my aging body just canít take it, even plus tires are not enough.
    http://www.bikes.com/en/use/trail
    Rocky mountain bikes, some of the best bikes I've ever ridden!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

orthonormal
    Knolly Fugitive
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Moderator Moderator
    [QUOTE=Nurse Ben;13851229]
    /QUOTE]

My "go-to" trail bike for the last 4 years, since my physio told me (at 45 yo) that I wasn't a spring chicken anymore and that my body just couldn't recover from the pounding a rigid single speed was giving it.

It's been the bike that has got me back up to speed, back riding hard, keeping up with "the kids" on group rides and doesn't have me reaching for the pain pills the next day.

mtbr member
    The new Giant Trance 29 sounds like a good match.

mtbr member
    what andy f said. serious. 12x157 rear short travel monster..lifetime warranty. Best of the best.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Turner Czar.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    SB100, SB4.5, Trail 429, Ripley, Tallboy, Trail Pistol, Sniper Trail, Trance 29... literally one of the most fun market segments to shop in, haha

Nothing in the specialized lineup fits the bill? What about the epic evo? Looks perfect

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stories/epic-evo

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Sniper Trail looks pretty good, I'd go for a shorter chainstay, but it tics all the boxes, even the price is reasonable for a carbon frame.

The Fugitive is pretty sweat, but I'm not looking to add another wheelset, got three boost, hence the frame only build.

I'm trying to avoid the big names, not because they're "bad", but just because they're big.

Love Ibis and Yeti, but damn their stuff is pricey.

The Whyte S-120 is appealing, but do they sell frame only? Not even available yet.

Edit:
    The Trance 29 looks nice, but damn, $2900 for a frame! I know, carbon goodness and DVO costs, but still, it's just a Giant.

So I'll admit to a bit of cheaparseness, I wanna limit the frme cost to 2k, carbon if I can get it, aluminum is fine too.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Evil Following
    GG Trail Pistol
    Ibis Ripley
    Giant Trance 29
    Transition Smuggler

Id choose the Ripley or Giant if I were in the market

mtbr member

Moderate terrain

Jet 9 RDO

Light and supple/plush over small bumps

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/n...pqZXQgOSByZG8=

This place needs an enema

Moderate terrain

I hear ya!

Over the past month I've gotten to demo a pile of bikes on my home trails. Evil Follow and Wreck, Giant Trance Advanced 29, Mondraker Foxy, Ripmo, SB130, Fezzari La Sal Peak, Fuel EX, Smuggler, Sensor, Ransom (tuned), Taniwha, Capra, and a few others.

Main takeaway? Holy crap are we spoiled with sweet options these days. Suspension is so good, geometry so friendly, tires so supple, capable, and durable.

My choice out of all of the above, given what you've written about how you're going to ride it, would be Fuel EX. I'd stick 2.6" tires on mine post haste, dial in the cockpit and suspension, then turn out the lights and go ride.

Barely in control
    Norco Optic, 110mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, but thatís just so easy

So you liked it better than all the others?

There are so many good bikes, a few of the bikes mentioned, like the Knolly, could practically replace the big bike Iím riding now.

I need to get something that is distinct enough from the Smash that I wonít have one bike gathering dust.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I hear ya!

Over the past month I've gotten to demo a pile of bikes on my home trails. Evil Follow and Wreck, Giant Trance Advanced 29, Mondraker Foxy, Ripmo, SB130, Fezzari La Sal Peak, Fuel EX, Smuggler, Sensor, Ransom (tuned), Taniwha, Capra, and a few others.

Main takeaway? Holy crap are we spoiled with sweet options these days. Suspension is so good, geometry so friendly, tires so supple, capable, and durable.

My choice out of all of the above, given what you've written about how you're going to ride it, would be Fuel EX. I'd stick 2.6" tires on mine post haste, dial in the cockpit and suspension, then turn out the lights and go ride.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Canyon Lux might be an option. I personally have focused on the SB100, if the few loosening rear ends turn out to be isolated issues.

mtbr member
    As has been said, so many options out there right now that are all good and efficient. Know you're looking more at carbon (weight), but the Banshee Phantom is an awesome short travel trail bike, geo is dialed, pedals really well, descends like it has more travel than it's 105mm, if you want similar in carbon, I've been told the SB4.5 is just that. Like the Trek stuff OK, but not a fan of the whole "knock block" system, the Kona offerings are also really nice.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My 2018 Fuel EX was a bike I liked initially, and grew to love as I piled miles onto it.

You might also look around for a lightly used 2016 version at 120 mm and lighter frame.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Are you going to ride more rolling terrain where you are seated more often? Might want something with a little slacker STA. Tall Boy, Ripley Ls, last years 429 trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Part of my problem is I ride a lot of different conditions, rarely rolling and flowing; I find it boring and there's little of that terrain where I live.

I have a Smash now, it's a long legged, big hit 29er. It does a lot for me, but it's just a lot of bike for my daily riding. When I had a less capable, more trail oriented bike (Hendrix, Atlas), I found those bikes to get overwhelmed easily when pushed, but they did okay as a daily driver.

I'm looking for a compliment to the Smash, more than a hardtail, but not so much more that it defeats the point of having the Smash.

A second bike for everything other than "smashing", a little bit of suspension front and rear, enough to take out the sting, comfortable for putting in miles, fun for afterwork laps on moderate terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Are you going to ride more rolling terrain where you are seated more often? Might want something with a little slacker STA. Tall Boy, Ripley Ls, last years 429 trail.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

So you liked it better than all the others?

For the riding you've described, yes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Part of my problem is I ride a lot of different conditions, rarely rolling and flowing; I find it boring and there's little of that terrain where I live.

I have a Smash now, it's a long legged, big hit 29er. It does a lot for me, but it's just a lot of bike for my daily riding. When I had a less capable, more trail oriented bike (Hendrix, Atlas), I found those bikes to get overwhelmed easily when pushed, but they did okay as a daily driver.

I'm looking for a compliment to the Smash, more than a hardtail, but not so much more that it defeats the point of having the Smash.

A second bike for everything other than "smashing", a little bit of suspension front and rear, enough to take out the sting, comfortable for putting in miles, fun for afterwork laps on moderate terrain.
    I personally feel that a bike like the EX would be too much of an overlap with your smash.

The only bike that I have spent time on that I personally want is the Cannondale Scalpel SE2. It was a rocket, and handled wonderfully. I loved how light, responsive, and fun it was to ride around on terrain like you're describing. I have a Jeffsy 29, and want a bike like the Scalpel SE2 to compliment it.

For me that means bikes like the sb100, 4.5, specialized epic evo, etc. Basically I want a long legged cross country machine... because I want something fast that handles wonderfully, but I don't race so 120mm of travel is way more fun than 100.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Is the Smash too much bike or too much travel? With my Riot i just put a shock with a shorter stroke and its fun on easy trails.

mtbr member
    My friend got a great deal on a Mach 429trail anniversary edition and he is super stoked on it. I got to hop on it and another friends sb100 back to back and the less "modern" geo of the 429trail felt more comfortable climbing for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Smash is a big bike, high bb, lots of travel, heavy, solid. It climbs pretty good for what it is, but it's a big bike, overkill for lots of the riding I do.

I'm picking up some 27+ wheels tonight from FedEx (thanks Mikesee), so I'll try those on the Smash and see how it rides. The Smash has a nearly 14" bb, so it can rally a shorter wheel.

If I wasn't such an old pansy, I'd ride the Pedalhead hardtail, but damn it beat me up last weekend on a gravel burner from Carson City to Virginia City.

Is the Smash too much bike or too much travel? With my Riot i just put a shock with a shorter stroke and its fun on easy trails.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_XCE View Post
    Turner Czar.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    lolwut?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Full Stache

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just killing me here...

Quote Originally Posted by 71 10-7 View Post
    Full Stache
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ben, I'd set up the Smash a little less burly and use it for more. Lighter in the wheels and tires, mainly. Not saying it definitively supplants a new bike, but extends the Smash's range. Yes, I'm no fun...

I relegated my Pedšlhead to smooth riding and bikepacking for the same reasons you posted. And been noodling my Smash to be more an all-day bike. Probably will noodle some more. It may never be a "light" bike, but it works a lot like one without losing much smashiness.

PS: Czar is a nice bike. But not in this category, regardless of set up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Could you just get the Trail pistol stays for the Smash, maybe a lighter wheelset for those days? Or do you want to have the ability to just grab a bike and go without swapping out parts? A TP may suit your riding style and terrain better? I'm interested in what you end up getting.

-Nolan

Wanna ride bikes?
    At first I thought you were looking for a burly short travel bike, but after you gave more detail it sounds like the Kona Hei Hei may be pretty close. I use mine as an endurance race bike, but it's a super fun and pretty capable short travel bike.

Super efficient pedaling, pretty short chainstays for a FS XC bike, Fox suspension on mine. I really like it a lot more than I was expecting I would. (I'm a hardtail guy)
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Demon Cleaner
    The Whyte looks really good, but there does not appear to be a frame only option; I hate to buy a bike and strip it for the frame... but I've done it before.
    The Whyte checks a lot of boxes for a true ďAMĒ short travel bike. Some of the other British bikes share its geo and travel (Cotic, Orange). Iíd love to see a frame only option from someone that was nearly as light as the Sniper but had SB130 geo and 120 travel.

Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Exactly what I want, in the 2k range.

Quote Originally Posted by Structure View Post
    The Whyte checks a lot of boxes for a true ďAMĒ short travel bike. Some of the other British bikes share its geo and travel (Cotic, Orange). Iíd love to see a frame only option from someone that was nearly as light as the Sniper but had SB130 geo and 120 travel.

Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    The Sniper is a possibility, the chainstays are a tad long for me, but I could also run 100mm rear and 120mm fork, gets a little more slack. Maybe even get a Manitou so I can tweak travel trailside.

So short travel to me is 120mm, 100mm is okay.

Commencal has nothing short travel
    Transition has nothing short travel
    Kona has the Hei Hei, geo is meh
    Specialized has nothing I want
    Ummmm, Smuggler?

mtbr member
    Orbea Oiz is one more for the list, more on the XC end.

The Sniper chainstay length is one of the numbers that makes me hesitate, or I think I'd be all over it (but it gives me an excuse to wait to see how the new XTR pans out, and spend quality time here)...

Many things about the Fuel EX are tempting, but I'm not a fan of their proprietary parts...Knock Block?!
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Holy sh!t...the Whyte S-120C looks super progressive by the numbers for a 120mm carbon ride. Wonder what the frame weight is...which is important to me (or I'd have already gone toward a Following, Smuggler, etc.)...

But I would want a frame-only option too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The Whyte S-120C looks like the bike for me. Anyone have any info on the release date and when it will be available in the US?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    The Whyte S-120C looks like the bike for me. Anyone have any info on the release date and when it will be available in the US?
    What about us pricing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Maybe, ainít never ridden an Orbea.

Yes, other than the long chainstays Iíd be all over the Intense.

and yes on the Whyte, but no frame only option means buying s complete and stripping it, no bueno!

If I can demo the Intense and it rides well, that might go. Maybe they have demos in Moab ... be there next week.

Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    Orbea Oiz is one more for the list, more on the XC end.

The Sniper chainstay length is one of the numbers that makes me hesitate, or I think I'd be all over it (but it gives me an excuse to wait to see how the new XTR pans out, and spend quality time here)...

Many things about the Fuel EX are tempting, but I'm not a fan of their proprietary parts...Knock Block?!
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I think that for wheels cross compatibility sticking with GG makes sense because of the offset rims. If you don't there's little reason to avoid 157 spacing and the 120mm Fugitive.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I think that for wheels cross compatibility sticking with GG makes sense because of the offset rims. If you don't there's little reason to avoid 157 spacing and the 120mm Fugitive.
    ...the 7.1lb frame weight could be one reason...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by structure View Post
    iíd love to see a frame only option from someone that was nearly as light as the sniper but had sb130 geo and 120 travel.
    this^^^^^

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just looking at frame weights, my GG Smash is 6.4# (+ shock?), the Pivot Switchblade Carbon is 6.4# with shock, the Intense Sniper is 4.8#.

Is the Sniper weight true? Thatís pretty light, enough to sway me on the longish chainstays. Add in carbon and 2k price, thatís not too bad so long as it rides well.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'd send you some dehydrated beer if you ever felt like posting up your thoughts on each bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Divinci Diago with a 130mm fork might be a good fit, wish they kept the short stays from the Atlas though.

mtbr member

Get the Following MB and ride it in the high geo setting at 120/ 120 and add a Works -1 angle set. Not the lightest bike but itíll do it all pretty well. Iím riding my 6.3 lb w/ shock, V1 like this with an RS-1 and a set of mikesee custom I9/ SRAM PS/ Derby wheels. Itís a trail ripper and climbs exceptionally well. The stack height is pretty low (586mm on my small), seat angle is 75 deg and the mech trail is 106mm with the 46mm OS fork. The best part is the HA is...66.6 degrees...so EVIL!

Function in disaster, finish in style!
    Last edited by manitou2200; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:47 AM. Reason: Mistake on trail mm
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yup, they screwed that one up. Marshall is gone, that was a fair option. Funny thing with Devinci, at first all their 29ets were short travel XC, then they went to all long travel, now thereís nothing short and playful. I loved my Atlas (x2).

Divinci Diago with a 130mm fork might be a good fit, wish they kept the short stays from the Atlas though.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Get the Following MB and ride it in the high geo setting at 120/ 120 and add a Works -1 angle set. Not the lightest bike but itíll do it all pretty well. Iím riding my 6.3 lb w/ shock, V1 like this with an RS-1 and a set of mikesee custom I9/ SRAM PS/ Derby wheels. Itís a trail ripper and climbs exceptionally well. The stack height is pretty low (586mm on my small), seat angle is 75 deg and the mech trail is 97mm with the 46mm OS fork. The best part is the HA is...66.6 degrees...so EVIL!

Function in disaster, finish in style!
    Smuggler hits these points out of the box, no?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Still think the Django 29 is worth a second look. Might have longer stays but still uber playful.

I'm also in the camp of loving my Atlas (still have it, ride it often), wouldn't mind more reach on the atlas, but all things considered a very solid bike. Django has the reach, that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Called Whyte USA, delivery is scheduled for February 2019, some early arrivals may come in, but no frame only option.

Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Called Whyte USA, delivery is scheduled for February 2019, some early arrivals may come in, but no frame only option.
    I found US pricing. Both are sweet deals. I really like the thoughtful spec on the RS that includes long dropper, a high engagement hub and powerful brakes.
    S-120 Carbon RS $3999.00 £3499
    2019 S-120 Works $5299.99 £5250

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    This may not matter to most, but they will release an all aluminum option of the S-120. There is a Whyte thread in the "Other Bike Brand" section of manufacturers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Transition Smuggler. AND they do sell Frame only. You'll want a new Fork too with the correct offset.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    Different bikes. They might look similar on paper but they ride quite differently. Not to say that either bike is better. The Evil is shorter and more playful and the Transition is longer and more plow and speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    My 2018 Fuel EX was a bike I liked initially, and grew to love as I piled miles onto it.

You might also look around for a lightly used 2016 version at 120 mm and lighter frame.
    I have grown to absolutely love my 18 Fuel Ex. Perfect for a quick rip, a bit of endurance racing and general riding. I keep looking around at bikes in this segment and I keep coming back to loving this one and I am generally a bike slut.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    Besides, my Following hit all these outta the box as well. I bought a frame then bought components to build the frame. no?

mtbr member
    There are so many good bikes, a few of the bikes mentioned, like the Knolly, could practically replace the big bike Iím riding now.

I need to get something that is distinct enough from the Smash that I wonít have one bike gathering dust.
    You've had the Smash a while. Why not sell it and get something you use more? Time for the Ripmo perhaps. Light build for The-One-Bike-To-Rule-Them-All!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Love my Ripley LS....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Umm, right, one bike quiver, tried that with the Fatillac and the Mutz, didnít work out, too much bike in any one direction makes the other directions less satisfying.

I really like my Smash

Just need a lightweight whip for everything that ainít rough and tumble.

So I did some looking and some asking, seems like Sniper is a wee bit flexy, so itís a no go; figures there would be some flex with a 4# Frame.

Looking hard at the Trance 29, still not enough rider feedback.

Might consider a Ripley, though frame only is very pricey, so maybe the SB100... but wow the prices just seem to keep going up and up! $3500 for the Yeti, thatís spendy.

Giant is suddenly a good deal. Also contemplated the Koba Hei Hei DL Carbon, but frames are hard to find; also kinda short in the reach.

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    You've had the Smash a while. Why not sell it and get something you use more? Time for the Ripmo perhaps. Light build for The-One-Bike-To-Rule-Them-All!
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:21 PM.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Umm, right, one bike quiver, tried that with the Fatillac and the Mutz, didnít work out, too much bike in any one direction makes the other directions less satisfying.

I really like my Smash

So I did some looking and some asking, seems like Sniper is a wee bit flexy, so itís a no go; figures there would be some flex with a 4# Frame.

Might consider a Ripley, though frame only is very pricey, so maybe the SB100... but wow the prices just seem to keep going up and up! $3500 for the Yeti, thatís spendy.

Giant is suddenly a good deal. Also contemplated the Koba Hei Hei DL Carbon, but frames are hard to find; also kinda short in the reach.
    I posted a price in the Sniper thread (until it got derailed by a child hating on everything Yeti) that you should be able to get a SB100 frame for around Black Friday if you decide to go that route. $2720 is what I payed for my SB100, which puts it right around the Trance 29 frame only. Itís a bike you definitely should try and demo if possible. I really liked the Ripley, except for the short reach and I prefer internal cable routing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    I posted a price in the Sniper thread (until it got derailed by a child hating on everything Yeti) that you should be able to get a SB100 frame for around Black Friday if you decide to go that route. $2720 is what I payed for my SB100, which puts it right around the Trance 29 frame only. Itís a bike you definitely should try and demo if possible. I really liked the Ripley, except for the short reach and I prefer internal cable routing.
    Funny- The child is the one defending the horrible customer service from Yeti. It's really sad, it seems like they had turned it around from the debacle a few years ago, but that seems to not be the reality.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I really like my Smash

PM sent
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

If you're keeping the Smash, and the new 'whip' is for non-rough days, who cares about a little flex?

I rode the Sniper for ~3 hours last night. Low BB was the biggest nit I had, but I think it's in-line with most everything in the category in that respect. Rear suspension felt fine -- certainly way more capable than the Fox that was spec'ed up front. Slack seat angle started to make itself apparent into hour 3. Easy enough to slam the saddle more forward I'd think.

SB100 feels closer to a hardtail than a 100mm bike. Harsh.

Rode Trance Advanced 29 last week. Also felt like ~70 or 80mm travel at most. It was quality travel, it just didn't feel like much.

mtbr member

I really like my Smash
    For sure, but it's a month old! Be realistic. Its days are numbered!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I know the day will come that I'd take my little bike where i ride my big bike...Santa Cruz and Devinci have life time warranties. Id look at the TB3 and Diago both can be had frame only.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I didn't like the TB, not sure I've heard of a Diago...

The goal is to avoid overlap. Of course there's always overlap, but to minimize overlap I gotta shoot low, like low bb, short travel, etc...

Top choices to date: Trance29, Optic29.

Choices off the table: Anything heavy and flexy.

Price? Well, it looks like this is gonna push the budget, but I got some per diem work coming up so there's my source for mad money

Edit: No Ripley, just realized how short the reach, and damnit but the Trail 429 is super boost. Choices are narrowing... SB100 has looong chainstays, another one bites the dust.

I know the day will come that I'd take my little bike where i ride my big bike...Santa Cruz and Devinci have life time warranties. Id look at the TB3 and Diago both can be had frame only.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:15 PM.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I didn't like the TB, not sure I've heard of a Diago...

The goal is to avoid overlap. Of course there's always overlap, but to minimize overlap I gotta shoot low, like low bb, short travel, etc...

Top choices to date: SB100, Optic, Ripley, 429.

Choices off the table: Anything heavy and flexy.

Price? Well, it looks like this is gonna push the budget, but I got some per diem work coming up so there's my source for mad money
    Sorry suck at spelling. Django similar geo to the Ripley LS and 429 Trail. An OG Ripley if one can be found is an awsome bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No worries, I thought that might be a Django.

I'm trying to set limits, like less than 120mm cuz I'll just bump the fork and end up with overlap.

If I stay short I think it'll help me keep my limits.

There are some great bikes on this list, some could replace my Smash, but what I'm really looking for is a companion to the Smash: short travel alternative to a hardtail.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs...

Sorry suck at spelling. Django similar geo to the Ripley LS and 429 Trail. An OG Ripley if one can be found is an awsome bike.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

I'd send you some dehydrated beer if you ever felt like posting up your thoughts on each bike.

You're so good to me...

I will, eventually, but there's rules and NDA's and all that, so for now I'm just trickling thoughts out here and there to keep from running afoul of them there rules.

Curious if you're looking at something specific?

Wanna ride bikes?
    I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Smuggler as I won't be able to ride one first if I decide to buy one. I'm trying to convince myself it's different enough from my Hei Hei DL (100/120) that I need to own it. I need something that can take a punch, I feel bad when I exceed the limits of the Hei Hei and ask it to do things it wasn't designed to do.

Otherwise I may try an angleset, lengthening the fork to 130, or swapping the lowers to a 44 offset. Or some combination of those things.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Oky, decision point:

It's down to two bikes, Norco Optic 29 and Giant Trance 29.

Price: $3099 vs $2900 (nod to Giant, but maybe there are some deals?)

Chainstays: 435 vs 434 (edit: push)

Reach: 458 vs 464 (push)

HTA: 68 vs 66.5 (nod to Giant)

STA: 75.5 vs 74.5 (both are good, steeper is better)

Travel: 130/110 vs 130/115 (comparable)

Frame Weight: ?? vs ??

Tire capacity: ?? vs ??

Still need to put the pedal to the rubber... leaning toward the Giant, OMG!

Maybe someone can find stats for weight and tire capacity... my google skills are weak.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Chuck an angleset on the Norco and ??

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yup, an angleset levels the playing field, nod to Norco for short chainstays and being Canadian

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Chuck an angleset on the Norco and ??
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Yup, an angleset levels the playing field, nod to Norco for short chainstays and being Canadian
    FYI - The Norco CS are not 425mm in the larger sizes you'd need. Lrg = 435mm and XL = 440mm for AL and 430mm & 440mm for carbon in those sizes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Nah, couldn't be happier with my Fuel EX and Slash, but I do enjoy reading thoughts on bikes, from a non-bro perspective.

The future MAY hold another shorter travel bike (100 x 120?), but that's heavy on the "may" since racing seems to be in my rearview mirror.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, saw that, changed my stats compare.

Giant is leading the curve, but oooh, a Giant, I just don't know.

Heading to Moab, gonna do some demos when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    FYI - The Norco CS are not 425mm in the larger sizes you'd need. Lrg = 435mm and XL = 440mm for AL and 430mm & 440mm for carbon in those sizes.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I like the Optic geo but I ride a size small.

mtbr member
    Yeah, saw that, changed my stats compare.

Giant is leading the curve, but oooh, a Giant, I just don't know.

Heading to Moab, gonna do some demos when I get back.
    Maestro is a really nice suspension design IME. It typically rides a nice line between efficient pedaling yet plush feeling, in the open shock position. Not the best stand up masher, unless you really crank on it.

They're always so late to the party, and usually not very cutting-edge, so it's hard to get too excited about their bikes, but they make a decent product, typically pretty light-weight comparably, and have a stand-up warranty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Smuggler as I won't be able to ride one first if I decide to buy one. I'm trying to convince myself it's different enough from my Hei Hei DL (100/120) that I need to own it. I need something that can take a punch, I feel bad when I exceed the limits of the Hei Hei and ask it to do things it wasn't designed to do.

Otherwise I may try an angleset, lengthening the fork to 130, or swapping the lowers to a 44 offset. Or some combination of those things.
    I'm probably not as good a rider as mikesee, but I also haven't signed an NDA, so I can give you mine, for what they're worth.

I got mine in May; carbon XO1 build. Running it completely stock. I'm a clyde, don't launch all that much (but the bike could!) - but getting better, believe you should earn your turns by climbing, pedal in B'ham, WA, coach beginners and some intermediates, overall feel like a competent, if not polished rider.

First thing I can say is this bike both lets me and makes me be a better rider. It makes me a better rider by inspiring me to push myself harder knowing the bike will respond and handle anything I do with (or to) it. And if I don't push it and myself, I feel bad about not trying something. Lets me be a better rider by giving me have a better feel for the trail and responding extremely well everywhere I've ridden it.

It climbs very well. One of my initial concerns was it was "just a 4-bar" suspension system; not known for being the best at climbing, and I was coming off a DW link bike. Whatever they've done with both SBG and Giddy-up 2.0, that concern was unfounded. This bike climbs very well. Fast or slow, smooth or rough, straight or tight and switchback filled. It handles it all with ease and efficiency. Are there better climbers? Sure, but this bike doesn't make me feel like I'm working harder than I should be whether I'm climbing tech single track or the gravel road. I rarely lock it out and would only do so for extended or very steep fire road type climbs but never on the trail.

Descending? Wow. SBG works. Tight turns, berms, drops, jumps, roots, rocks... whatever. Handles it all with ease. Is it "poppy"? I'm not even sure I know what that term means. I can toss it from side to side pretty easily. When I do get airborne, I'm comfortable and know even my fat ass won't break the bike with a less than graceful landing. In short, it really does inspire confidence.

It can definitely take a punch and even if you can find and exceed its limits, I don't think you'll feel bad about asking it to go there.

Complaints? Just one, really. The rear tire clearance. I'd like to be able to run something a bit wider, but it won't kill me. And it could be a bit lighter, but so could I.

mtbr member

Based on the OPs initial post I would think the smuggler is more bike than he is looking for. But Iíve suggest to people looking at the smug to consider the GT sensor. That thought has received very little affirmation and I donít know why. Itís basically the same geo, with 7mm less bb drop and 5mm longer cs. Its $1899 for a new carbon frame with a good warranty. Itís heavy for carbon, or light for alloy, but itís stiff as hell. And itís slightly more progressive with less pedal kick back than the smug. And finally it clears 29x2.6 easy.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    I'm probably not as good a rider as mikesee, but I also haven't signed an NDA, so I can give you mine, for what they're worth.
    No worries, I'm happy to hear your impressions too, I just have read a lot of what Mikesee rides, likes, and have a decent impression of how his and my riding styles and desires compare.

I got mine in May; carbon XO1 build.

It can definitely take a punch and even if you can find and exceed its limits, I don't think you'll feel bad about asking it to go there.

Complaints? Just one, really. The rear tire clearance. I'd like to be able to run something a bit wider, but it won't kill me. And it could be a bit lighter, but so could I.
    What is max tire clearance? What do you have in the back?

I'll pretend I didn't hear the comment about weight on a carbon X01 build... saving weight beyond that as a Clyde gets expensive, but I digress.

Thanks for your feedback, good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    Based on the OPs initial post I would think the smuggler is more bike than he is looking for. But Iíve suggest to people looking at the smug to consider the GT sensor. That thought has received very little affirmation and I donít know why. Itís basically the same geo, with 7mm less bb drop and 5mm longer cs. Its $1899 for a new carbon frame with a good warranty. Itís heavy for carbon, or light for alloy, but itís stiff as hell. And itís slightly more progressive with less pedal kick back than the smug. And finally it clears 29x2.6 easy.
    Have you ridden both? Owned either?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I rode an Ď18 smuggler when they were released, I was going to wait to get one as an end of year purchase. But I saved $1000 going with a sensor expert vs a gx smuggler blow out and I prefer RS to Fox. I also am a weirdo and have a mixed wheel size fetish (moto background), I figured with the flip chip I can keep the geo pretty close experimenting with 29 front 27.5 rear. Anyway, theyre both great bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    r... leaning toward the Giant, OMG!
    Admittedly, haven't been on the forum as long as you have, but seeing your constant shift in bike choices over the past year+ish.... Giant seems pretty "average bicycle brand" for you Like someone that has owned exotic cars, then modified vintage cars, and maybe a JDM supra, who then all of a sudden decides that the Honda Accord is the go to car....
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Honda makes good cars. But I drive a van

I do prefer off brands, only had one Trek, never owned a Specialized, but my wife has had one of each. The big brands sell good products, I just prefer lesser known brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    Admittedly, haven't been on the forum as long as you have, but seeing your constant shift in bike choices over the past year+ish.... Giant seems pretty "average bicycle brand" for you Like someone that has owned exotic cars, then modified vintage cars, and maybe a JDM supra, who then all of a sudden decides that the Honda Accord is the go to car....
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    No judgement here. 2003 Chevy Venture AWD is my vehicle. it carried home a few ebikes today and has gotten many of my projects (including my Lenz Behemoth frame) to the storage unit.
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Man go on and get that giant! Let us know what you think. I have a 140mm 29er, and an XC hardtail... trying to decide if I want a trail hardtail, or a short travel full squish. Iím interested to hear your take on it.

...but that's heavy on the "may" since racing seems to be in my rearview mirror.

Phasing out or cold turkey?

Either way, good on ya. I miss it in theory but life is better without it.

Ride On
    Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    ...the 7.1lb frame weight could be one reason...
    What size and does this include a shock?
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    First on the list for a demo.

Wish that Intense wasnít noodley.

Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Man go on and get that giant! Let us know what you think. I have a 140mm 29er, and an XC hardtail... trying to decide if I want a trail hardtail, or a short travel full squish. Iím interested to hear your take on it.

Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    About 99% sure the Carbon Optic uses an integrated headset 42x52 drop-in style

mtbr member
    First on the list for a demo.
    I liked my Giant's just fine and they make very good frames and for a lot of different bike companies.

Wish that Intense wasnít noodley.
    Well let's see, Cheap, light, strong...pick two.

Hell just buy a bike or two if needed. You're just going to flip them in a bit anyway right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    No worries, I'm happy to hear your impressions too, I just have read a lot of what Mikesee rides, likes, and have a decent impression of how his and my riding styles and desires compare.

What is max tire clearance? What do you have in the back?

I'll pretend I didn't hear the comment about weight on a carbon X01 build... saving weight beyond that as a Clyde gets expensive, but I digress.

Thanks for your feedback, good stuff.
    Sure. I'm an unabashed pimp for this bike. I really love it and can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a bike in this category.

Now, since I got it before the Ripmo, Offering or SB130 were really out there, they may have qualities I like better. I have exactly one parking lot ride on a Ripmo and nothing on the others. They've clearly all copied the SBG idea (for good reason, in my opinion!) with some tweaks here and there. DW link may climb better than the Giddy Up 2.0. Evil's suspension gets good climbing marks, too. The SB130 also gets good climbing reviews, but there's a thread in the Yeti forum about problems with the 130 and 150s. I'm not upset nor do I have any regrets for not waiting. I've ridden the crap out of my Smuggler and am looking forward to some trails I didn't enjoy on my OG Mach 429; specifically Burro Pass!

Tires are Minion DHF/DHR 2.3s. Not a lot more room in the back, but I guess if I want fat rubber, I can always just break out my Borealis.

If you can, definitely add this to your demo list. And get a good ride; it took me almost an hour to really appreciate the SBG. And I've never looked back.

mtbr member
    Don't mean to butt in, but i spotted this thread and thought i'd offer my two cents as a Giant owner. I'm a capable 220# rider with multiple back injuries. Because i'm a bit larger i chose a bike based on climbing prowess.

Anybody willing to try a Giant bike as an alternate to an XC hardtail might want to give the Anthem 29 a shot. Built a 2018 Anthem X 29 from a 2014 Anthem x 29 frame warranty. Fitted with a 120 mm SID, shorter stem, light wheels, 2.5" tires and have been very happy. For those that keep track, it's ~25# on my build and i know i can get it lighter.

Very efficient climber. Very capable on front range (COS) trails with lots of chunk. is a rocketship on flowy XC trails. I do long for a bit more rake on steeps.

A couple notes:
    1) Due to the angles of the bike, a dropper is a must if you are going to point it downhill.

2) Maestro suspensions accumulate trail particles and mud between the frame and shock. This can get annoying.

3) bike doesn't really come to life until you get some wider tires on it. it will fit 29 x 2.5 tires.

mtbr member
    Between the Norco and the Giant, I can't choose, because I've not ridden the Norco. The Norco looks good, but I'm guessing in Moab, the Giant would get the nod due to HTA, if nothing else (I liked the 29 2 alloy over the steeper HTA carbon, 3 pounds lighter SB100 GX Comp build I tried). As to reviews on Giants, go to the Giant board under "2019 Trance 29" and you will see some pretty thorough reviews.

The Giant 29 2 is the alloy version. At 32 pounds (!) it climbed slightly faster than my tricked out 26.4 pound SB5c and descended about as well. That's a view from a 150 pound semi-weight-weenie.

I ended up with the 26.8 pound (after upgrades to crank/bars/rear cassette/tires - with my "barcalounger saddle) Pro 29 1 build. The LBS gave me 10% off of it without even asking, due to my being a good customer and transferred a bunch of components for $45. On my first ride, I demolished my PR on a 45 minute climb (from 47:28 on the SB5c, to 45:50 on the SB100 to 43:16 on the Giant Pro 29 1) and the associated descent. I was blown away by the performance of the heavy, alloy 29 2.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not a helpful post, but keep on keepin on...

Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    I liked my Giant's just fine and they make very good frames and for a lot of different bike companies.

Well let's see, Cheap, light, strong...pick two.

Hell just buy a bike or two if needed. You're just going to flip them in a bit anyway right?
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nurse Ben- I know they don't come in Frame only yet, but have you considered a Fezzari Signal Peak?
    Not one of the cool brands, but 3k gets you a complete bike for the same price as a frame from the others, checks all your boxes and has a 30 day love or return it.

Might be worth a look. I will be come spring.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm interested in it, too. 120 f and r suspension. 2 bottle cages. Can run 27.5 or 29 with 2.8 or 2.6 clearance respectively. Threaded BB. Word is they can customize your build somewhat if you call them.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Nurse Ben- I know they don't come in Frame only yet, but have you considered a Fezzari Signal Peak?
    Not one of the cool brands, but 3k gets you a complete bike for the same price as a frame from the others, checks all your boxes and has a 30 day love or return it.

Might be worth a look. I will be come spring.

mtbr member
    Not sure why Fezzari isnít one of the cool brands. They are light and cheap with a lifetime warranty. Designed by some nerds in Utah. The Signal Peak geo is a bit old school for my tastes but the La Sal looks amazing for a do it all 29er.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast