Walt's forks?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Walt's forks?

Fixed and single.

Walt's forks?

Has any body ridden one of Walts forks(29")? Damn they look nice. I'm looking for an alternative to my KM fork and was wondering how his ride.

When did you get here?!?!

Excellent

I've got about 30 hours of riding in on my WW Frame and Fork and depending on my mood am either speachless or can't say enough. Either way, the thing is damn fine.
    I've put the frame and fork through the roughest rides I could think of and am very very impressed.

Trails done so far:
    Heartbreak Ridge
    Rattlesnake
    Kitsuma
    Laurel Mtn.
    Pilot Cove
    Slate Rock
    Pilot Rock
    Squirril Gap
    Trace Ridge
    Black Mtn
    Buckwheat
    Bennett
    Perry
    S. Mills River
    Mullinax
    Laurel Creek
    Tsali L&R

bike geek

Mine rocks

Quote Originally Posted by mordecai
    Has any body ridden one of Walts forks(29")? Damn they look nice. I'm looking for an alternative to my KM fork and was wondering how his ride.
    Keep in mind I've only got about 2 months on my Walt fork, which is exactly how much time I have on 29ers in general, and includes zero time on a KM fork, so take my opinion FWIW. When I ordered my frame/fork I had in mind to start rigid but probably move to suspension some time down the road. I do have a WB BW.8 in reserve, but so far have seen no reason to switch yet. The fork rides very smoothly, tracks well, and looks great to boot. How much of the improved smoothness (relative to my rigid Hunter 26er) is the fork and how much is the bigger wheels I can't say though. I am very happy with it.

Weight should be a consideration keep in mind. I don't know how much you weigh, but I weigh in at 165lb most days. If you're over 200lb, Walt will tell you his fork is not for you and to stick with the KM.

Brian

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions
    I've got about 30 hours of riding in on my WW Frame and Fork and depending on my mood am either speachless or can't say enough. Either way, the thing is damn fine.
    I've put the frame and fork through the roughest rides I could think of and am very very impressed.

Trails done so far:
    Heartbreak Ridge
    Rattlesnake
    Kitsuma
    Laurel Mtn.
    Pilot Cove
    Slate Rock
    Pilot Rock
    Squirril Gap
    Trace Ridge
    Black Mtn
    Buckwheat
    Bennett
    Perry
    S. Mills River
    Mullinax
    Laurel Creek
    Tsali L&R
    Looking fwd to riding the 29er i'm building up on those trails the last week of march and a bit in to april. i'm on the fence between rigid(what i ride on my 26" SS now and enjoy) or going with a fancy squishy fork on the 29er. ever wish you had some give on those trails say, bombing down pilot rock? how jarring is it or do you just go slower than you did on suspension?

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    Quote Originally Posted by mordecai
    one word...sweet!!!

i weigh 175, and have a 470mm disc fork from walt o my 29er ss. just an awesome fork. i had to get the disc tab faced though..my caliper wasn't sitting right on it. other than that, it's just one helluva fork!!!

those wily forks looks way tasty too!!!

cheers!

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Ditto. Mine's even taller than Kam's at 475mm. It's been great. And I've been beating on it pretty hard. S

Fixed and single.
    Thanks for the input guys. It's a fine piece of art I'm considering when I return from Arizona.

-Cheers

When did you get here?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    Looking fwd to riding the 29er i'm building up on those trails the last week of march and a bit in to april. i'm on the fence between rigid(what i ride on my 26" SS now and enjoy) or going with a fancy squishy fork on the 29er. ever wish you had some give on those trails say, bombing down pilot rock? how jarring is it or do you just go slower than you did on suspension?
    As long as I keep my elbows in towards my torso the fork isn't 'jarring' at all. I've been in a few situations where after 10 years on a suspension fork I'm used to flaring my elbows outward to brace for impacts. That doesn't work.... but I guess you already know that if you're running a rigid on your SS. Otherwise, yes, I just pick down Pilot slower than on the full squish. I've cleaned it all mind you, well, I dabbed in that rockslide after the lower overlook on the Walt Works.