W I D E WTB 29er Tires...- Mtbr.com
    indigosky

W I D E WTB 29er Tires...

I had a little bird, well more like a framebuilder with his finger on the pulse of 29er'dom, tell me today that WTB has 2.5" width 29'er tires currently in testing. He said he is starting to build his frames with wider chainstays clearance to accommodate the new tires.

Now I know there have been a lot of rumors to this as of lately, but my (very reputable) mystery man said they should be released soon. Fingers crossed.

Moderator Moderator
    I heard the same thing, but it was more like a true 2.3" or something along those lines.

Look for more around mid-March.

B
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Alaska Turner Mafia

yo indigo

Can you give us a hint which frame builder you were talking to. I'm in the process of researching for a 29er frame that can accomodate SnoCat rims with wide tires mounted. This would be my Alaska winter bike. Clearance inside the stays would need to be something in the order of 65mm of space. If this builder has the same thoughts, I'd add him to my list of potentials.

thanks,
    Randy
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

indigosky
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    Can you give us a hint which frame builder you were talking to. I'm in the process of researching for a 29er frame that can accomodate SnoCat rims with wide tires mounted. This would be my Alaska winter bike. Clearance inside the stays would need to be something in the order of 65mm of space. If this builder has the same thoughts, I'd add him to my list of potentials.

thanks,
    Randy
    hint? He does ti only, has a one year wait time, and I love his handlebars...

mtbr member
    I had a mail from a friend inside the WTB fold that told of the 2.3 Exiwolf proto that he is running around on. However he is only able to ride it as a front tire because it won't fit into the rear of any of the bikes he has available to him. Production units should be ready for distribution sooner than March. No word of a 2.5 however. And quite frankly a tire that wide would probably not even fit in most forks and may in the end prove to be unnecessary for 29" use for mere mortals.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Jeff Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    My Vulture's MX comp fork would TOTALLY fit a 2.5. Back end: maybe. But a 2.3 for sure.

One year wait for a Jones!!! That's got to be like being engaged to a virgin swimsuit model.
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy
    My Vulture's MX comp fork would TOTALLY fit a 2.5.
    Glad I specified "most". Would hate to appear the fool

And Banks, get to work.

Aug 2004

I'm ready for them.

My new Vulture is 2.7" wide in the chainstays, my request.
    The wheels and fork won't be ready for a few more weeks, hurry WTB, hurry Ritchey...

Schipperkes are cool.
    Yeah, Bob, I have been at work trying to remove that damned seatpost out of the glo Slingshot that some one---pointing finger Westward, did not gease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hehehehe this is part of "work".

Scoty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    Yeah, Bob, I have been at work trying to remove that damned seatpost out of the glo Slingshot that some one---pointing finger Westward, did not gease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hehehehe this is part of "work".

Scoty
    It's Suntours fault. I guess if I had thought it was going to be in there without moving and sitting in an alternately hot and frozen overhead garage space for like 10 years I would have greased it! Too many bikes, soo little time. Going through this a.m. on the way out of town, will honk.

Bob

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    My Wily has more than enough chainstay clearance for a 2.5" tire.Unfortunatly my front derailure cage would be a limiting factor. I only have a 1/4" between my derailure cage and kenda Klaw. If I converted to SS it would be no problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

The buzz Bomb will fit a 2.5

While I am not sure if I need a 2.5" tire, and as far as I know WTB is not planning one now, my Buzz Bomb has clearance at the seat tube of 2.75-inchs (70mm) and at the Chainstay - 2.7-inches (68mm). I am hoping to get some of the new 2.3 WTBs soon though, and I'll have pleanty of mud clearence!

giddy up!
    All three of my rides will fit at least a 2.7 in the front, not that I'd ever need that much tire.

All three of them will fit at least a 2.3 in the rear, likely a 2.5. The monkey obviously has boat loads of clearance, the strong will fit a 2.3 or 2.4 no prob and the moooooooots wil also fit a 2.4ish tire no problem.

I am dying to get my hands on one of these meaty beasts. But, I'm not holding my breath....I've heard the "next few months" routine soo many times that it's not worth getting excited over anymore. I have 10 or soo new nanos that I need to wear out first anyway!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

giddy up!

Schwable tires available at BTI.

BTI has stock of the Schwalbe Little Albert if that's of interest to any of you.

They do seem extremely expensive for what appears to be a pretty lack-luster tire but hey, it's another tire!

If you're interested your LBS should be able to hook it up!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    be careful about that Buzz Bomb measurement. The ones I've seen (including mine), don't have the seat stays aligned with the rear wheel correctly. Whether its on purpose or not, it may make a difference, as one side may clear with ease and the other might rub.

Quote Originally Posted by dgdixon
    While I am not sure if I need a 2.5" tire, and as far as I know WTB is not planning one now, my Buzz Bomb has clearance at the seat tube of 2.75-inchs (70mm) and at the Chainstay - 2.7-inches (68mm). I am hoping to get some of the new 2.3 WTBs soon though, and I'll have pleanty of mud clearence!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    be careful about that Buzz Bomb measurement. The ones I've seen (including mine), don't have the seat stays aligned with the rear wheel correctly. Whether its on purpose or not, it may make a difference, as one side may clear with ease and the other might rub.
    Are you sure that the sliding dropouts are just not aligned correctly? If so it is an easy fix.

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

Speaking of Schwalbe

Has anyone thought about/tried the new Marathon XR 28x2.0 on any surfaces? Another 29er option for fireroad slickrock type stuff?

Schipperkes are cool.
    It's shorter and smaller than the MOTO, $60 retail!!

Recovering couch patato
    The existence of the Marathon XR 28x2.0 is new to me. 890g, ugh!
    My Big Apple 2.0" measures just 43mm on a road rim.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

additional info on the WTB 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    I had a mail from a friend inside the WTB fold that told of the 2.3 Exiwolf proto that he is running around on. However he is only able to ride it as a front tire because it won't fit into the rear of any of the bikes he has available to him. Production units should be ready for distribution sooner than March. No word of a 2.5 however. And quite frankly a tire that wide would probably not even fit in most forks and may in the end prove to be unnecessary for 29" use for mere mortals.
    BW etal;

it will also be available in wire bead only I have been informed because of the significant roll off problems WTB has experienced with kevlar beads.

VTW

Recovering couch patato
    Back to the stoneage! Will they also come in wood next year?

Sorry, I just cannot get it.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    It's shorter and smaller than the MOTO, $60 retail!!
    Yeah, what's with the price tag on those.....

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    They're right on.

The seat stays are where the problem is... the chainstays are lined up perfectly. I just attributed it to a manufacturing variance. At first, I thought it was a little too much out of alignment for a manufacturing variance, but hey, the sticker on the non-drive side is on upside down too, so I guess anythings possible...

Maybe Vandessel sees a manufacturing variance as a 'undocumented feature'. "Asymetrical seatstays" (a revolutionary groundbreaking feature) to counter the additional torque from a singlespeeder! Higher top speeds, better handling, the women love it!!!

Its not really a problem, but if one was trying to fit a really wide tire in it, there might be a problem...

Any other Buzz Bomb owners notice this? Nate? NoDonut?

Quote Originally Posted by dgdixon
    Are you sure that the sliding dropouts are just not aligned correctly? If so it is an easy fix.

mtbr member

just got this from WTB

I had asked WTB about specs, release date...here's the reply I got.

Dear Scott,

WTB will be receiving the ExiWolf 2.3 (55/55) 29" Steel DNA tires at the
    beginning of March. They should be available in stores by the end of
    March. This 2.3 tire is the only big 29" tire WTB currently plans to offer.

Thanks,

Fred Falk
    WTB

Recovering couch patato
    I bet the Bonty XR 2.25 front, also 55-55, will turn out to be as wide or even wider.
    We'll have to aim our hopes on Ritchey for something truly big, I'm affraid.
    Bonty, in a short time since we first heard about it, came with both the fastest (guess) and widest knobby we ever had. Way to go, Keith, Gary and Fisherguy!
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski