Voodoo 29er HA- Mtbr.com

Thread: Voodoo 29er HA

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Voodoo 29er HA

I have been thinking about a Voodoo Soukri, but my one problem is the 72 degree head angle with a 100mm fork. My current 29er has almost a 71 degree HA with a 100mm fork. It appears that all the Voodoo 29ers all have the same angles. I am riding on east coast singletrack. I would be putting a 2009 Reba with a 46mm offset on this frame. Does anyone with experience on these bikes have any problems with this HA and the new offset forks?

mtbr member

I am riding one with.....

A wiley rigid fork that is corrected for 80mm and it handles crisply but not nervously.
    I personally find it hard to believe that its 72 deg with a 100mm fork.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edouble
    AI personally find it hard to believe that its 72 deg with a 100mm fork.
    the geo specs say it's 72deg (depending on the size) with a 505mm fork (unsagged 100mm Reba), which means sagged geo is steeper and geo with a sagged 80mm fork is far steeper still (pushing 74deg ?). This was one reason I crossed the Dambala off my list when I was looking for a steel frame a couple years back.

There is more to geo than just HA though, so other factors are helping to keep your bike handling well even with a steep HA. Then again, it is all just personal preference anyway.

agu
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    There is more to geo than just HA though, so other factors are helping to keep your bike handling well even with a steep HA. Then again, it is all just personal preference anyway.
    True that. I rode a Dambala, then a Zaka and loved their "like a 26" bike handling" - which was a common comment when friends who were 29er curious tried them out.

Switched over to a Siren John Henry (same parts as my VooDoos) which had different geometry and adjusted my riding style after a trail ride or two.

mtbr member

how do they compare

Quote Originally Posted by agu
    True that. I rode a Dambala, then a Zaka and loved their "like a 26" bike handling" - which was a common comment when friends who were 29er curious tried them out.

Switched over to a Siren John Henry (same parts as my VooDoos) which had different geometry and adjusted my riding style after a trail ride or two.
    when it comes to ride quality and handling?
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

agu
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    when it comes to ride quality and handling?
    I assume you're asking about the Zaka and the Dambala?

The Dambala feels a BIT more solid and surefooted. The Zaka's front didn't quite hold a line as well too. (having an older Reba29 didn't help either).

That said, the Zaka was really smooooooth.

mtbr member

Thanks but.....

I assume you're asking about the Zaka and the Dambala?

The Dambala feels a BIT more solid and surefooted. The Zaka's front didn't quite hold a line as well too. (having an older Reba29 didn't help either).

That said, the Zaka was really smooooooth.
    I was actually thinking the Voodoo frames compared to the Siren. That bike looks so much like the Soma Juce to me. Thanks for the Voodoo comparison though. Did one have quicker steering than the other in your opinion?. Never thought about the differences between the two until now.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

agu
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I was actually thinking the Voodoo frames compared to the Siren. That bike looks so much like the Soma Juce to me. Thanks for the Voodoo comparison though. Did one have quicker steering than the other in your opinion?. Never thought about the differences between the two until now.
    AH!

Ok. Well comparing VooDoo to the Siren, the VooDoo steers a tad quicker and is more maneuverable. Perhaps more "racy".

I found that I had to use more body english/lean when turning, as opposed to handlebar input..

I find the Siren more balanced in that sense.

mtbr member

Thanks...

AH!

Ok. Well comparing VooDoo to the Siren, the VooDoo steers a tad quicker and is more maneuverable. Perhaps more "racy".

I found that I had to use more body english/lean when turning, as opposed to handlebar input..

I find the Siren more balanced in that sense.
    I love quick steering, its a necessity where I live and ride. very tight, twisty trails but no real climbs . short, steep up and down hills.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the input guys. I was worried about possiby going over the bars with the steep HA. I used to have a 5" 26er trailbike that had a 71 degree HA and eventually sold it because of steep HA. I know 29ers are different, but I do not want to make the same mistake again.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the "numbers". I'm not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing... The Soukri with a 100mm fork handles quite well for the type of terrain I ride here in AZ. Not racey quick but not lazy either. It seems like a good even mix for an "all around handling" bike. I do like having that extra bit of travel for the chunky stuff our here. I was actually thinking about lowering my Fox F29 to 90mm just to see how it feels...

agu
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    yup. it's definitely more about how all the numbers add up...never judge a bike by it's head angle

mtbr member

"Never judge a bike by its head angle".......

yup. it's definitely more about how all the numbers add up...never judge a bike by it's head angle
    That's a great quote. like Keith Bontragers "strong, cheap, light....pick 2". or something like that .
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

agu
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That's a great quote. like Keith Bontragers "strong, cheap, light....pick 2". or something like that .
    Never judge a bike by its chainstay length too hehe

Merry Christmas! It's Christmas day where I'm at - wishing you and your lived ones all the best!

mtbr member

Man, you are...

Never judge a bike by its chainstay length too hehe

Merry Christmas! It's Christmas day where I'm at - wishing you and your lived ones all the best!
    on fire!, lol. I dubb theeThe "qoutemeister!", lol. About to take my Soukri out for a night ride . Rigid ss is great in the winter.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    on fire!, lol. I dubb theeThe "qoutemeister!", lol. About to take my Soukri out for a night ride . Rigid ss is great in the winter.
    Christmas Eve Night Ride - great idea!

Enjoy Edub!!!

mtbr member

I did!, and I was all alone!

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Christmas Eve Night Ride - great idea!

Enjoy Edub!!!
    Not a soul in sight!, lol. I had a great time though. Thanks bro !
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Members who have read this thread: 0