a very special k-monkey that wont be ridden on trail- Mtbr.com
    just ride

a very special k-monkey that wont be ridden on trail

I had a customer approach our shop a few weeks ago with a custom build request.

Every bike he had ever owned, he had wrecked in a few weeks. But he doesnt ride trail.

He is 6'3" and 375 pounds. He likes to ride fire roads and rough country roads, and just wanted a bike that could handle him without breaking down.

We started with the assistance of a 22" Karate Monkey, and began adding parts that were mostly intended for Tandems. The rear wheel is a custom DT 540TD 40 hole tandem hub laced 4 cross to an original Sun Rhyno 40 tandem rim (pre-Rhyno-Lite, this is the big sucka). Front wheel is a Rhyno Lite laced with 36 spokes in a 4 cross.

Then we added the stopping power of 8" rotor Avid BB7 brakes, and gave him the floatation afforded by WTB Weirwold 29x2.55 tires front and rear.

Some extra additions such as 180mm cranks, a Brooks B17, and some really squishy big grips made this guy's dream a reality. He so far has 2 weeks on it, and has said he likes it, and we havent even had to do a der adjustment.

Even though this beast will probably never see singletrack, it was interesting how all these parts could be combined (tandem, 29er, DH bike) to create a purpose built machine that might not have been possible a few years ago.

Pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    That looks like a super smart, herculean build. I need to keep your ideas in mind for our bigger customers. I just wonder; if he rides so much, doesn't he lose some of those pounds??

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

rmb
    mtbr member
    Nice job, what tire pressure does he have to run?

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    I just wonder; if he rides so much, doesn't he lose some of those pounds??

OGG
    he is not all fluff. i wouldnt want to mess with him. but up to now, he hasnt had a regular bike to ride.... they keep breaking. his main intent is to lose body fat by riding. i would guess him to be more about 275 if he was a normal body fat %. He is still a large and strong guy.

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb
    Nice job, what tire pressure does he have to run?
    the tire is rated at a max of 50, and i told him to maintain that pressure.

for comparison, I am 250 and i run 30 in a WTB 2.55 and 40 in a FastTrak, both without any pinch flat issues.

mtbr member
    Nice choice of parts. The only thing I might have done differently is to use some steel BMX cranks and possibly non-disc hubs.
    Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nice build!

I might have hidden the Fatties Fit Fine stickers.....

Jun 2006
    Very nice work. Is that rhyno 40 still available ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm 6'5", 300lbs. I did something similar with my Karate Monkey. I rode it on trails until I broke my collarbone in March. Now it's got LX cranks instead of Saints; XT/Rhynolite wheels instead of Hope Pro 2/Kris Holm wheels.

Somebody oughta make a cheap hardtail 29er frame with 150 or even wider spacing in back for us big guys. I mean, we basically weigh as much as a tandem crew...

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004

I love it!

That's so awesome that you guys took the time to build a freakin' rock of a bike for that guy. He won't weigh 375 for long.

You probably have a customer for life and I'll bet my pesos that he'll be getting a new bike before the next year to crave his addiction.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by shishku
    Very nice work. Is that rhyno 40 still available ?
    No, it is not made anymore. They do make a Rhyno Lite in a 40 however. And the 540TD hub is available 40 hole in a 135mm spacing disc-brake hub.

anyone else smell that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrkie
    Nice build!

I might have hidden the Fatties Fit Fine stickers.....
    my instigator wore it with pride.

i started out (6' 1") at 369 lbs. i'm now 235 lbs. and a good deal of that loss is due to riding (and eating better). i would love to have that sticker on my new full suspension frame....but it wouldn't be true i could barely squeeze a nevegal 2.1 back there.

but this fattie fits fine.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Nice ride and outstanding customer service. That must have been fun to plan & build. Just wondering is that a 1x9 drivetrain? I would think, depending on where it's ridden (flats or hills?) that either a granny and or big ring would be beneficial? - Scott

Harmonius Wrench

Rear tire question

Any special reason that the rear tire is mounted in the direction it is? I wonder if it might roll a bit better with it mounted the other way. For the sandy back roads up there, I bet that tire rocks.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

just ride
    Scott, Ted:

The crank is set up 1x9 as it was the most affordable 180mm crank I could find. He really only rides about 10 miles a night right now he said, and at a casual pace.

The rear tire is backwards as that is one of my trademarks. I always find in our loose sand up here, and a backwards rear tread pattern helps for pedaling traction, as the knobs tend to dig in better because the bite the dirt, rather that channel it away from the tire.

I do the tire thing with my bikes too, I use the SB8 rear, FastTrak front on my race bike, and a full set of FastTraks on my steel singletrack bike. Both rear tires are "backwards" and that definately makes them work better up here.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by grawbass
    Nice choice of parts. The only thing I might have done differently is to use some steel BMX cranks.
    So when the cranks go, give me a ring.
    I've got 2 sets of Profile cranks & 2 sets of Grove Innovations Hot Rods looking to be used.
    (he ain't snapping those)

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon

The rear tire is backwards as that is one of my trademarks. I always find in our loose sand up here, and a backwards rear tread pattern helps for pedaling traction, as the knobs tend to dig in better because the bite the dirt, rather that channel it away from the tire.
    I thought the bike wasn't ridden off road? If it is for street use, why not go for better rolling resistance?

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    I thought the bike wasn't ridden off road? If it is for street use, why not go for better rolling resistance?
    I isnt ridden "off road" in our sense, but it is ridden on the "fire roads" of northern WI. Not really off road, but not paved either......

Jul 2006
    I'm 275 and currently planning a 1x9 22" KM build myself. What 180mm SS crankset is that??? 8" BB7s are interesting. I have some 6" BB7s that seem to stop me just fine.... Visit the occasional ski resort though that makes me consider an 8", at least on the front.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    I had a customer approach our shop a few weeks ago with a custom build request.

Every bike he had ever owned, he had wrecked in a few weeks. But he doesnt ride trail.

He is 6'3" and 375 pounds. He likes to ride fire roads and rough country roads, and just wanted a bike that could handle him without breaking down.
    I know this is an old thread, and I hope chequamagon is still active and listening...

I'm the exact same ht & wt as chequamagon's customer. I'm looking to start bike riding: mostly asphalt and rough country roads. (Live rural and have 1/2 mi of unpaved/gravel road to my house).

I don't want to buy a stock bike and have it keep breaking down on me or get hurt by part busting while riding. So I'm considering going custom like OP describes.

What would this bike cost today?

Three years later - with new parts avail, feedback from original customer, and three more years experience - would you build it the same today? Any advice/instruction I should take to the bike shop if I were to commission a custom build?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thomco
    Three years later - with new parts avail, feedback from original customer, and three more years experience - would you build it the same today? Any advice/instruction I should take to the bike shop if I were to commission a custom build?
    I wonder how close a stock Salsa Fargo would be to meeting your needs? The '08-10 Fargos came with 36h wheels I believe. The new ones are only 32h. Its a solid offroad touring machine, so it should be up to the task. It might come up cheaper than building piece by piece. If you went with the 2011, a new wheel build could be funded by trading in the stock wheels and selling the Thudbuster seatpost (retails for like $125, goes on ebay for slightly less).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Maybe this should be called a "chunky monkey"? It is so cool to hear about people who have lost weight and changed their lives through riding- you are an inspiring!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    what cranks are those?

Members who have read this thread: 0