Ventana El Rey vs Pivot 429- Mtbr.com
    ajd
    Texan Clyde
    Jan 2006

Ventana El Rey vs Pivot 429

I've been happily riding my 2007 El Rey for a few years, starting to get the itch to try something new. I'm a clyde - 6'4, 250 lbs, and chose the Ventana based on its reputation for lateral stiffness. It has served me well, but I'm wondering how the Pivot 429 compares as I'm reading it is very stiff and rides great. Anyone with experience on both?
    Cheers,
    Texas Clyde

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I have both. I feel they are about equal as far as stiffness. My fat weight is 250 and in shape weight is 220. El Rey - plusher, better bearings, fitted with a PUSH shock. I do like the suspension of the Pivot slightly better and it feels smaller. I like the DW link a little better than my Tallboy although all are great bikes and I would be happy with any one of them. I do like the mud clearance of the Rey and TB better. FWI, I would suggest checking out a Edge Composites wheelset.

mtbr member
    Doc, it sounds like you've got the Edge wheel set. How do they perform when you have your winter weight on? I'm a bit heavier than you (275#) and wonder how they hold up for hard XC riding. I imagine they're pretty stiff laterally.

I've yet to test ride an El Ray but did like the Pivot bike a lot. You're right, the bike did feel "small" but not in a bad way.
    I am looking for a new frame and the Pivot is on my short list. I have a hard time dropping 2K + on a carbon frame that I'm sure I'd run into some rocks but that Tallboy sure does look good.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    The only other wheelset that I had that was stiffer is not available. It was a I9 set with freeride spokes and a Stans freeride rim. It weighed about 2200gm. I think it would easily handle your weight. Mine are built with Aerolite spokes and 240s hubs so obviously a more robust build is possible.

mtbr member
    Don,

If I'm reading you right, you have an El Rey, a 429, and a Tallboy?

dreamer
    Aug 2006
    DrDon, I have an El Rey, and was wondering what it would ride like with Edge wheels? I have the Salsa Delgado race wheels, and Hope Pro's, I want to try and race D-Vill cross counrty this summer, not sure if the Delgado's will survive.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    yes. I need to get off my butt and sell the Pivot. I'm more emotionally attached to the El Rey, if that makes sense.

DrDon, I have an El Rey, and was wondering what it would ride like with Edge wheels? I have the Salsa Delgado race wheels, and Hope Pro's, I want to try and race D-Vill cross counrty this summer, not sure if the Delgado's will survive.
    I've only had the Edges on the TB and the 429. I had I9s on the Rey and it was a blast. I went to a heavier, more traditional wheelset and the extra heft could be felt. I personally feel with the current shocks, even a single pivot can be set up well enough that it closely mimics the multi-pivot bikes. The 429 and even more so the TB loft their front wheels more easily than the Rey. Since the majority of my rides don't involve hopping logs, it's not a huge deal to me.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    OK Dr. - I've been trying to decide between a 429 and TB. As one of the few that have owned both, what's your review?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoRider1
    OK Dr. - I've been trying to decide between a 429 and TB. As one of the few that have owned both, what's your review?

Thanks
    This is very interesting to me as well..Your saying (Dr.Don) that you like the El Rey over the 429? Can you explain? I think the Ventana stuff is so nice and yet you never to much about them with all the DW/CVA/VPP hype.....Thanks...CF.

ajd
    Texan Clyde
    Jan 2006
    Very helpful info, thanks. Given that feedback I'll stick with my Rey for a while longer, it really is a great ride. I had a Blur LT prior to my El Rey and it flexed so badly on steep climbs that it would ghost shift. I also had a hard time keeping the front wheel down - good to know it wasn't just me. The carbon tallboy looks great and is light but I've lost all confidence in SC given my size.

Another question - what fork are you running on your El Rey? I'm running a custom white bros fluid with 115mm travel and 20mm thru axel. As an alternative to getting a new ride I'm thinking about a 2010 Fox fit 120 or 100mm with 15mm thru axel. I'm leaning towards the 120mm. Thoughts?
    Cheers,
    Texas Clyde

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been riding an El Rey for several years. I recently moved the parts over to a 09' Rip 9. The Rip 9 seem's plusher than the Rey w/ a Pushed rear (or stock RP23). Both bikes climb well, but the Rip descends better I think. Both are plenty stiff...can't really tell the difference here. The Rey seems easier to hop, but could just be because I've been riding it for so long. The Rey is still hanging on the wall...I've been reluctant to sell her, but the Rip does ride nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Don,

He has a sickness! That is for sure! I wish his bikes were one size bigger so I could get his cast-offs.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I'm a wannabe Ventaphile. There are many good reasons - quality, made in America, customer service, quality sealed bearings - I see no advantage to bushings, sexy, decent trade in policy, it just plain works and it puts a smile on my face.

The Pivot is nice. Very nice. Feels like a 26in XC bike, in that the chain stays are shorter. I love the DW link although it is not mud friendly. The mud layers itself on the bike even when the trails are passable here in the Ohio valley. I had to replace the bearings once although it's fairly easy to do. It does hold a advantage in the summer over the Rey on the longer climbs at Brown Co National Forest, but at rocky, rooty Hamilton Creek my El Cap kicked butt. Oh yeah I have one of them too, but it's a little over kill for most of my riding, so that frame is on the wall.

The TB feels the lightest of all. I weigh 230 and I didn't I could feel the difference of two pounds. That being said, I weigh 230 so it's not a issue to me. The chain stays are short like the Pivot and it's easier to loft the front wheel. The bearings may be better than the Pivot but I don't have a lot of time on it. I still have bad memories of my Blur - flex, frame breakage, bearing issues, non-compliant suspension with tech climbs. It rides different than the 429. If I set it up to ride efficiently like the 429 I lose small bump compliance. It is plush and blows through it's travel more quickly than the 429. I really like how it rides, but the XC flavor of the Mach is more of my preference. These are first impressions however because I'm riding in sub 30 degree weather and the shock settings go a little wonky in my opinion relative to warmer operation. The TB was a knee jerk purchase for reasons I won't get into.

If I was confined to one bike, it would probably be the El Rey, hopefully with Edge wheels.
    Last edited by DrDon; 02-08-2010 at 06:30 AM.

ballbuster

Yeah, dang....

Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Don,

what did you do with the rest of your Lotto winnings?

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I'm running a PUSH Reba 100mm TA on the El Rey. I do think the Fox 100mm TA on my TB is a little stiffer.

Members who have read this thread: 0