ventana el capitan on ebay - urgent advice needed- Mtbr.com
    bike tester

ventana el capitan on ebay - urgent advice needed

Hi, i just won this bike on ebay at an unbelievable price.

Well, i had the second best offer and the winner backpedaled, so the seller made me a personal offer. However I am a total ebay n00b so i have no idea what to do.

The question is not so much technical as it is personal: should i trust a seller with 0 feedback after he was already turned down once? Or should i just chalk up the retracted bid as a reconsidered impulse buy and go for it?

Does the fact that the winner also had less than 10 feedback smell fishy to more experienced ebayers? Am i being drawn into a scam?

Also, how does the paypal insurance or whatever work? Can i trust them to pay me back should i receive an empty box?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When I plan to bid on an item from a seller w/ 0 feedback I will ask a boat load of questions to see if I get responses and if they seem on the level. Most sellers scamming on ebay want cashiers check payments , list direct e-mail listed addresses in the listing, list too good to be true buy it now prices. The ad in question has a descent description and pic's. He didn't do the greatest breakdown for shipping and payment policies other than fill in the blank stuff. Try and contact the seller for additional info. / peace of mind. Paypal does have gaurentee's for not receiving what you paid for but what a PIA to have to go through.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Maybe the seller has never used Ebay before. I'm also an Ebay noob who recently bought a bike and was pleasantly surprised by how cautiously Paypal handled the transaction. Paypal won't deposit your payment to the seller's account until the box has been shipped. Pay for shipping insurance to cover the cost of the bike. Should be okay. Sweet looking bike there. I'd put a zero-rise handlebar on it with bar ends to make it climb better.
    Last edited by esXso; 09-06-2009 at 12:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Did he make the offer to you outside of ebay? If so, I would steer clear.

mtbr member
    If I was buying that I would go for collection. Or, at the very least say I was coming to collect and see the seller's response

bike tester
    Thanks for the speedy replies. Do you think the price is too good to be true? Who would sell such a bike for less than half the price? Is this credible?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1
    Did he make the offer to you outside of ebay? If so, I would steer clear.
    Offer was a legit second chance from ebay in my inbox..However it didn't have the same item id, he relisted it with a "buy it now" price equal to my highest bid and gave me a second chance on the new item.

Dunno why he did that. I see no other reason other than perhaps a second chance on the original item would have offered me the possibility of purchasing not at my highest bid, but at original winner's bid. I don't even know if what i just said is true, so is it?

I have asked quite a bunch of questions and a few additional pics, but sadly there was no reply yet and the "second chance" has expired. We'll see if he replies and extends the deadline.

Thanks for any additional opinions on this.

mtbr member
    Do you live near Wolverhampton? I do... ;-)

mtbr member
    Smells very odd to me. My mate was bidding on that bike too. He has had a second chance offer emailed to him as well.

He asked if he could pick the bike up and was told no as the seller had already arranged the courier!

bike tester
    Smells very odd to me. My mate was bidding on that bike too. He has had a second chance offer emailed to him as well.

He asked if he could pick the bike up and was told no as the seller had already arranged the courier!
    yep i guess it definitely sounds out of the ordinary, my bet is he sold the bike to himself while fishing for interrested buyers to sucker into a scam.

mtbr member
    I'm way to cautious and would pass on it.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    I would ask to come pick it up and bring some muscle with ya.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Tell him you want to use escrow.

If he balks, let it walk.

It sounds fishy to me.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/escrow.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like fraud to me. I'd steer clear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    SCAM
    I am the winner of this auction and its an obvious scam.
    Seller wants to use Money Gram/Western Union transfer **** in one form or another.
    Sad thing is that ebay is so slow and hasn't blocked him yet. I reported this seller yesterday.
    Having seen quite a few scams like this I must say that his emails are very 'ebay like' but apart from first automatic legit ebay email all others are comming from 'e-bay.co.uk' server not 'ebay.co.uk'

Another thing is that he is using adresses like [email protected] which is suppose to make him look more convincing as a person.

Hope thats helpful for future guys.

to Syl3 please report it to ebay, they should send info to you after I reported him since a second chance offer is a normal ebay feature now

bike tester
    lol i definitely thought the winner was not legit... congrats on that snipe

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yeah this forum is great

I'm glad I saved your asses guys, I hope you have also learned sth about bidding in the last 5 seconds

Members who have read this thread: 0