Velocity Dyad - Mutano Raptor blowout- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Upset Velocity Dyad - Mutano Raptor blowout

Just received my new Velocity Dyad wheelset and put Mutano Raptors on. Pumped up the front tire, no problem. Pumped up the rear and hear that wonderful rubber stretching sound...BLAM! Ears ringing, acoustic guitar vibrating, kids and wife freaking, dog and cat heading for the hills. Reasses, okay maybe it wasn't seated correctly. Repeat the process checking the seat every 10psi up to 70. Tires are rated at 50-80 psi. Seems good, take the wheel to the bike...BLAM, ... [email protected]#$%^&*[email protected]#$%^&*[email protected]#$%^&* , every cuss word I know plus another couple I created on the spot. Where it blew the bead has now come through the casing so the tire is shot as well! WTF? Any ideas? Anyone else had a remotely similar experience? Now I'm scared to ride it with the front wheel having the same setup.
    "Each man would endeavor to brew good beer, and may God bless his labors" - Hamburg Municipal Law, Germany 1410.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxpaw
    Just received my new Velocity Dyad wheelset and put Mutano Raptors on. Pumped up the front tire, no problem. Pumped up the rear and hear that wonderful rubber stretching sound...BLAM! Ears ringing, acoustic guitar vibrating, kids and wife freaking, dog and cat heading for the hills. Reasses, okay maybe it wasn't seated correctly. Repeat the process checking the seat every 10psi up to 70. Tires are rated at 50-80 psi. Seems good, take the wheel to the bike...BLAM, ... [email protected]#$%^&*[email protected]#$%^&*[email protected]#$%^&* , every cuss word I know plus another couple I created on the spot. Where it blew the bead has now come through the casing so the tire is shot as well! WTF? Any ideas? Anyone else had a remotely similar experience? Now I'm scared to ride it with the front wheel having the same setup.
    Earplugs. Much cheaper than ear surgery or hearing aides.

No Reputation!

A dumb question but...

Was the mutano's bead in good condition before the first blowout? This is probably a dumb question but I had a multiple blow off on a 29" wheel because (I think) I didn't realize the tire had a damaged bead. I've got 4 dyad equipped wheels and the tires are loose but have never had an ear drum popping experience....yet anyway.

Oh yeah, another dumb question but were you using tube or trying a tubeless setup? I think tubeless is iffy with the dyads for most who try.

Harmonius Wrench

Dyad's are known to run "small"

This is a common complaint on this forum about the Dyad. Only recommended to run with a tube.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Recovering couch patato
    I'm not having trouble with mine as long as I'm careful, but perhaps it's time to send out mails to Velocity and it's distributor to please NOT promote the rims for 29" anymore? I've heard ths too often now, let's kick Velocity out, okay? Add at least 3mm to that rim, or stop it. It's light, it's strong, but it wrecks tires and ears.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Possibly

I am wondering if possibly the bead was damaged to start with. It was a brand new tire and tube and I didn't inspect every inch of it. I also noticed the rim tape my LBS installed ran up close to where the bead seats and this may have been where the blowout occurred as well. Fixed that and getting a new tire today and try again, with ear plugs (thanks Quasi).
    "Each man would endeavor to brew good beer, and may God bless his labors" - Hamburg Municipal Law, Germany 1410.

Recovering couch patato
    Mentionned on here a million times, but do build up the rimtape. Another wrap of cloth rimtape does not hurt AT ALL. Centering the big loose tire on the tiny rim gets much easier, and takes some actual force.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Derailleurs owned: 0
    I had a new 44 Mutano explode off an Alex TD-17 rim... I think it was from using a WTB 29x52 tube... no problems with smaller Bontrager 35-44 tubes.

I am wondering if possibly the bead was damaged to start with. It was a brand new tire and tube and I didn't inspect every inch of it. I also noticed the rim tape my LBS installed ran up close to where the bead seats and this may have been where the blowout occurred as well. Fixed that and getting a new tire today and try again, with ear plugs (thanks Quasi).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

c0jones...

Were you able to re-use the Mutano that blew off or did it mess up the bead?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Wtb

WTB has issued a Return Authorization # so when I get a response I'll post what they say.
    Last edited by jaxpaw; 01-26-2005 at 02:09 PM. Reason: punctuation

Derailleurs owned: 0
    Yes, no damage to the Mutano or the rim... but the 29x52 tube was shredded.

BTW, all parts involved were new.

Were you able to re-use the Mutano that blew off or did it mess up the bead?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Good job! Props to WTB

FYI as a follow up WTB replaced the MutanoRaptor tire which had the damaged bead after the blowout. Not sure if that was the reason for the blowout but WTB replaced it anyway!